PDA

View Full Version : Nassau

bonnielynn
03-25-2005, 02:50 PM
We decided to do a 3day land and 4 day sea. Everything I read says to stay on the ship in Nassu... We are going with our 16, 9 yr old boys... never cruised before . My DH wants to get of in Nassau any advise on what to do? Any better excursions or should we go it alone?

Billinaz
03-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Our first cruise, we walked around the area near the pier and got some shirts, etc. We then went to the Dolphin Encounters.... booked it ourself and saved money. That was great, but does take some time.....

This last cruise we did the historic tour of Nassau. Good thing for the kids to learn.. especially since they were missing a week of school....

Id get off again, but probably walk the area near the ship...........

alexandrew
03-25-2005, 03:48 PM
I don't know why many advise staying on the ship in Nassau....what are they afraid of?.....I recommend taking a taxi($4.00 pp) over to Atlantis, and exploring the grounds....They have a first rate aquarium there called "The Dig" that you can pay to see....IMO well worth the price....

Also, the straw market is a short walk from the ship...fun stuff and lots of bargain priced gifts to be had....

auntrenae
03-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Can you please tell me, and email me if you will (we're leaving in 2 days) what the price is for the Dig at Atlantis? Also, if you know if they allow smoking there? I'm allergic, so it will make a difference...

thanks

DisneyDreams4P&B
03-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I may be way off but I think that it's $15.00 per person (Adult). I don't know the kids price. It is def. worth it to go. the dig is amazing and the resort is beautiful. Great photo opportunities.

alexandrew
03-25-2005, 05:58 PM
For the Atlantis "Dig" wristband, allowing you to see the entire aquarium, the cost 2 years ago was $25.00 per person....from what I have read, the price may have gone up slightly since then...I am not sure of the cost now....

3redheads
03-25-2005, 06:34 PM
we did the Dolphin Encounter and the kids loved it! It was the highlight of the trip. It is costly, though.

ImMarcik
03-25-2005, 06:54 PM
We are planning on doing the dolphin encounter. Did you book with DCL? I'm just wondering if I will have time to do the encounter and also buy souveniers.

3redheads
03-25-2005, 06:57 PM
I booked it through DCL and went there directly from the ship. You take a ferry, it takes about 45 minutes. We were done by 1pm and the ferry left at 2pm or 4pm. We took the 4pm ferry and did not have time to shop, so you might want to make sure you take the 2pm one.

Enjoy! Save your money for the album, $119.95 and the video $49

ImMarcik
03-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Thank you for the tip

scrapperjill
03-25-2005, 11:30 PM
We booked a day room at Atlantis last Sept...and had use of all the pools, slide/water park...lagoons, private beach and the dig....for $150 for our family of four. If your not intrested in the day room...I'd check out the Atlantis beach day....through DCL...you'll get acess to the private beach at Atlantis, the Dig...and lunch...Oh and transportation to Paradise Island. The actually costs of the Dig...was ALOT more than previously mentioned. it was going to cost our family of four (two adults...and two kids..6&11) close to $100 just for the dig. :earseek: No kidding...it's close to $25pp. The waterpark/water slides were a blast....and I'm sure with your kids ages...they'd love it.

If anything...just getting off the ship and taking the taxi to Atlantis to check out the buildings and detail is well worth it. The grounds are beautiful...and there is sooo much detail. There is also a nice public beach right next/behind Atlantis that you can go to.

We found everyone in Nassau to be nice and not pushy or rude. They are forward...and don't hesitate to ask if you'd like to buy this or that...or have your hair braided...but a quick "No thank you"...and they backed down..and didn't push. They'd say...Ok if you change your mind i'll be over there..my name is *** just ask for me. And that was that.

I'd say if you've never been...and don't know if you'll ever be back...get off the ship and see the sights. But that's JMO

bonnielynn
03-27-2005, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=scrapperjill]We booked a day room at Atlantis last Sept...and had use of all the pools, slide/water park...lagoons, private beach and the dig....for $150 for our family of four.

How do you get a day room?

scrapperjill
03-27-2005, 09:51 PM
You have to either call Atlantis when you get into Nassau or just go to Atlantis...and ask. It took us asking a few people before we got a room...but it was well worth it. From the way it looks...Atlantis is made up a diffrent towers...and each tower has it's own lobby...which you can book a room at. We first went to the Main Lobby that's to the left as you walk in the main entrance...but were told they had NO day rooms...but we could try another tower...we then went to the second tower lobby...where we were again told there were no day rooms...but were directed to the coral towers lobby...where we then were able to book a room.

The only way you can pre book a room is to book a room for the night....so there is no calling ahead and pre booking a day room.

Hope my answer helped.

Patty106
03-28-2005, 04:04 AM
I enjoyed getting off the ship in Nassau. We went to Atlantis. We took the water taxi. Just hearing the "tourist " talk from a local gentleman was worth the trip. Next time we are going to do the carriage ride around the town. My adivice (for whatever it is worth) is get off the ship at least the first time.

budget mom
03-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know if a family of six can get a day room for 150 dollars? We were thinking of the doing the dolphin excursion in order to do the beach and also get some time with the dolphins. I am thinking it will cost us (2 adults and 4 kids) about $580. If I could get the day room for 150....the kids would get to do the beach and the water slides plus take a look at the aquarium. Surely we would enjoy it just as much, especially if we are saving over $400.