PDA

View Full Version : Palo...to go or not?

UGAFan0829
03-25-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm still trying to decide on whether or not I really want to try Palo. I know I have a while to decide, but I need to find something nice to wear if I do decide to go. I just get the impression that it's sort of a "stuffy, uppity" kind of place. What's everyone's opinion?

mmouse37
03-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Stuffy and uppity??? No, not at all. Palo is a very nice, warm and gracious place....it's true your hubby would neet a jacket, but you could wear a nice pair of slacks and blouse or a dress.

I have always love my meals at Palo, but I do not go there on every cruise...sometimes we just like being with our regular severs...but do not think that Palo is stuffy because it is not.

It looks like you are on a 3 day, so if I were you, since you don't seem thrilled about going, skip it this time and if you enjoy your cruise and want to rebook a longer cruise...try Palo then. You will want to experience all three of the dining room in your rotation on the 3 day.

DrCavin
03-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Definitly go, not stuff or uppity at all.. The brunch is not as formal as dinner. If you can only do one, do the brunch.. Try to get both because it is very good..

depomas
03-25-2005, 10:31 AM
:goodvibes We finally tried it on our 3rd cruise. I also had the impression of stuffiness..I could not have been more wrong....

My hubby still wonders what took us so long. I enjoy the dining rooms so much, that I never wanted to skip one.. I fall in love with the dining experience and our dining room servers.... The next cruise we will eat at Palo most definitely.....Food was excellent!!! :earseek:

The other thought, if you do not want to skip the dining rooms, is double dipping.. Eat only an appetizer in the dining room, and have your Palo reservation for later in the evening..... We may try this the next time..

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself... :goodvibes

allears
03-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Stuffy and uppity??? No, not at all. Palo is a very nice, warm and gracious place....it's true your hubby would neet a jacket, but you could wear a nice pair of slacks and blouse or a dress.

I have always love my meals at Palo, but I do not go there on every cruise...sometimes we just like being with our regular severs...but do not think that Palo is stuffy because it is not.

It looks like you are on a 3 day, so if I were you, since you don't seem thrilled about going, skip it this time and if you enjoy your cruise and want to rebook a longer cruise...try Palo then. You will want to experience all three of the dining room in your rotation on the 3 day.

I couldn't second this more strongly. Palo is quietly elegant, but not stuffy or uppity. We've had wonderful times there, the food, service and atmosphere is awesome! But it is tough to fit it all in a three day cruise.

AladdinsPrincess
03-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Definitely go! It was absolutely the best food I've ever had in my life and the service was also exceptional. It was not the least bit stuffy or uppity but rather very relaxing... I felt almost pampered while I was there. It was fabulous - don't miss it!

logan1_2000
03-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Wasn't the dress code recently revised downward so that Palo's written requirement for men to wear a jacket was replaced with only a collared hsirt, no polo shirt requirement? Or am I mixing up different dress codes?

I would still wear the jacket,it just makes the evening more special, lets DW know that I think she is special enough to make a ressie and dressup to make an already special night (it is a Disney Cruise, after all) even more special.

allears
03-25-2005, 11:25 AM
I think, and I'm trying to remember this off the top of my head, but that the written Palo guideline got a little stricter, to where guys are supposed to wear a jacket and a collared shirt, no Ts and the tie was optional. Of course they don't always enforce this at dinner. I always wear a jacket and tie, like you said, it makes it more special and it's the way I'd dress if it were a land based restaurant which had the same dress code.

depomas
03-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Wasn't the dress code recently revised downward so that Palo's written requirement for men to wear a jacket was replaced with only a collared hsirt, no polo shirt requirement? Or am I mixing up different dress codes?

I would still wear the jacket,it just makes the evening more special, lets DW know that I think she is special enough to make a ressie and dressup to make an already special night (it is a Disney Cruise, after all) even more special.

I am against my better judgement admitting :blush: my Dh wore a dress shirt and tie and no jacket in Palo's.. My FIL did the same, and they did not look down on them, and after looking around, there were many other men the same way. Actually, some looked much worse.. My men looked snazzy... :love:

tvguy
03-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Maybe next time we'll do Palo. We so enjoyed the dining room and wait staff there, we just didn't want to miss that.

WDWLVR
03-25-2005, 12:11 PM
We didn't do Palo until our 5th cruise. While we loved it and did it again on our 6th I don't regret not going earlier. I don't think we'll got on our upcoming 4 day, but most likely will do at least brunch again on our next 7 day next year.

UGAFan0829
03-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Actually, we're doing the 4-night this time. I'm quite excited about it. It's not that I don't want to dress up...that's not the subject at all...it's just that I wasn't real sure about the atmosphere. I love to dress up (it would be an excuse to find a nice dress), and the DH has no problem with it either! So we may go ahead and try it. It sounds like everyone who's tried Palo has loved it!

allears
03-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Actually, we're doing the 4-night this time. I'm quite excited about it. It's not that I don't want to dress up...that's not the subject at all...it's just that I wasn't real sure about the atmosphere. I love to dress up (it would be an excuse to find a nice dress), and the DH has no problem with it either! So we may go ahead and try it. It sounds like everyone who's tried Palo has loved it!

I think it's safe to say the vast majority of us on the boards have loved our Palo experience. It is quiet, a little calmer and less hectic than the main dining rooms and just very very nice. If you can fit it in, by all means make it so!

UGAFan0829
03-25-2005, 01:17 PM
I think it's safe to say the vast majority of us on the boards have loved our Palo experience. It is quiet, a little calmer and less hectic than the main dining rooms and just very very nice. If you can fit it in, by all means make it so!

Thanks for the advice. From the way it sounds I would be missing out by not going, and it's an opportunity to dress up. I just can't decide if I should do the REAS or if I should just wait and do Palo alone!

Pea-n-Me
03-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I second giving the Brunch a try. You can dress "resort casual" but an added bonus is the beautiful daytime ocean views out the windows and some really nice photo ops. One of the nicest pictures I have of DH and myself came from Palo brunch, the background was so beautiful and we actually looked pretty snappy too (if I do say so myself)! :sunny:

UGAFan0829
03-25-2005, 01:23 PM
I second giving the Brunch a try. You can dress "resort casual" but an added bonus is the beautiful daytime ocean views out the windows and some really nice photo ops. One of the nicest pictures I have of DH and myself came from Palo brunch, the background was so beautiful and we actually looked pretty snappy too (if I do say so myself)! :sunny:
Do they offer brunch on the 4-day?

Pea-n-Me
03-25-2005, 01:28 PM
DrCavin, I just want to say I love your picture. We're torn about whether DH and DS should do tuxes on our upcoming Magic cruise. Seeing your picture makes me think we should go for it. Thoughts? Was it worth it?

Pea-n-Me
03-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Do they offer brunch on the 4-day?
They did when we were on the Wonder this past August. We've also done the Palo dinner which of course was wonderful. I guess we'll just have to do both next year! :teeth:

DrCavin
03-25-2005, 01:42 PM
DrCavin, I just want to say I love your picture. We're torn about whether DH and DS should do tuxes on our upcoming Magic cruise. Seeing your picture makes me think we should go for it. Thoughts? Was it worth it?

Thank You, it is definitly worth renting a tux. Some have posted having success on buying one on Ebay. Ours came with 2 shirts, so when wife & I went to Palo's for dinner I wore it again.

alexandrew
03-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Palo is without question one of the top 3 experiences onboard DCL....The food, service, and atmosphere is top notch without being stuffy......

Drcell01
03-25-2005, 08:26 PM
A sailing on the Magic or Wonder without a visit to Palo would be half the cruise. Food and service are excellent. The dress code should not be an issue if you want to experience some of the best hospitality on these ships. Absolutly Palo is a "DO NOT MISS" with DW and myself!

roscodog
03-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Definitely go, Palo's is not at all stuffy. The brunch is more informal, didn't see anybody with a jacket but we were on the 4-day which is more casual. The food was great the staff but us quickly at ease. Service was fantastic. In fact that it gave me the impression that they wanted people to loosen up, have fun and try different things. The waiter seemed sad that we did not have the stomach to try everything.

Echo queen
03-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Could someone please post details of REAS? Like cost and what is included.

Thanks a Mickey.

jhorstma
03-27-2005, 10:08 PM
You'll pay for drinks/wine as well as the upcharge (and maybe an addn' tip - the service is that good), but not for the food itself.

Therefore....

You can sample multiple options with each course - in fact they will basically insist that you have pizza with your meal (don't worry, it's very light and wonderful - I'd say sub this for the bread, except that the bread and toppings are a course of their own), as well as multiple desserts afterwards. So if several items catch your eye you don't have to choose between them. Each entrée would easily be in the $20 - $30 range in a fine restaurant (likely more for the beef tenderloin), so you can easily create your own personalized tasting menu that would likely set you back well over a hundred bucks on land.

Patty106
03-28-2005, 04:00 AM
To Palo or not to Palo......I say when in doubt always Palo. It was wonderful.

GOVAC24
03-28-2005, 04:21 AM
Take the plunge! Do Palo's! DH & I did this on our last cruise and will be going again on our next one. The service was fantastic! Everyone so friendly. Not stuffy at all. By the time we arrived on board to book our reas Palo's was book. So they asked if we wanted to be placed on a waiting list. They would call if a reas became available. Well we got our call the 3rd day in. We couldn't have been happier! The staff told us that we could get back on the list if we wanted to try to come again. The cost was $10.00 per person extra plus the cost of any liquor/beer you had. Of course there was the tip. It could have changed as we cruised last May. The choices were many and place is something to see at night.If you love chocolate, try the souffle!!!

Enjoy!!!!

newholidayx2
03-28-2005, 06:53 AM
DH & I went for dinner in 03

A DISer, his wife & MIL took me to Palos for brunch on my birthday - thanks Dave

I wont plan it for Aug 06 but if a DIS meet forms for brunch I'll definately join

natdencro
03-28-2005, 07:16 AM
If you are on the Western trip, then opt for Brunch on the Key West morning: Not many people take this opportunity, and it is the BEST of the week: Even the Servers will tell you that! The views as you come into KW are wonderful, and the sea-water changes colour literally as you take in the views while sipping your champagne. How much better can life get?Oh the memories...............Nat :Pinkbounc

kaykels
03-28-2005, 10:23 AM
WOW I AM THE MINORITY HERE. Don't get so excited about Palo that you will build up some anticipation for something over the top. The desserts were awesome, the service was great, I liked not having the kids around for the evening but I thought the food was just okay. Read the menu....... no sautee dishes and other than the filet (which was bland and chewy) there is nothing gourmet. I can get fancier dishes at the Olive Garden. I was disappointed to see pasta and pizza on the menu.
If it wasn't such a build up on how "great" it was, I probably would have liked it better.
I was with another couple and my father, and we all had the same opinion. Food was just okay. Our servers in the main rotation were so awesome and we MISSED them. It was on the 4 night.
In summary, I will do Palo again on the 7 night, just for the atmosphere and a quiet dinner without the kids, but on the Wonder, I would NOT do it again.

Bruch was nice. I expected more there too. Our friend ordered pancakes. C'mon!!!!! I had eggs benedict, but I could have had that at Tritons. My dad had chicken caccitore and it was a thigh with the skin still on. We expected a little better than the Tritons breakfast.

jhorstma
03-28-2005, 02:15 PM
WOW I AM THE MINORITY HERE. Don't get so excited about Palo that you will build up some anticipation for something over the top. The desserts were awesome, the service was great, I liked not having the kids around for the evening but I thought the food was just okay. Read the menu....... no sautee dishes and other than the filet (which was bland and chewy) there is nothing gourmet. I can get fancier dishes at the Olive Garden. I was disappointed to see pasta and pizza on the menu.
If it wasn't such a build up on how "great" it was, I probably would have liked it better.
I was with another couple and my father, and we all had the same opinion. Food was just okay. Our servers in the main rotation were so awesome and we MISSED them. It was on the 4 night.
In summary, I will do Palo again on the 7 night, just for the atmosphere and a quiet dinner without the kids, but on the Wonder, I would NOT do it again.

Bruch was nice. I expected more there too. Our friend ordered pancakes. C'mon!!!!! I had eggs benedict, but I could have had that at Tritons. My dad had chicken caccitore and it was a thigh with the skin still on. We expected a little better than the Tritons breakfast.

I agree with you about the chicken - I ordered it (among other entrees) as "Chicken stuffed w/shrimp scampi" and found it tough and not good at all. Of course I also ordered lobster (it was lobster night) and it was heavenly, as was the beef tenderloin at brunch.

I couldn't tell from your post whether you actually tried the pizza. If not you missed out - we're not talking Dominos or Pizza Hut (or Pinocchio's - yecch) here. It was a wonderful appetizer.