PDA

View Full Version : Reimbursed for trip interruption from travel insurance?

DISJen
03-25-2005, 09:29 AM
We just got back from the 7-day western. My husband spent the last 3 1/2 days in bed or in the medical clinic being treated for an injury he received in Grand Cayman. He was in severe pain and ended up on IV antibiotics before we left the ship. We came home and he was admitted immediately to our hospital and is still there today (he will eventually be fine, it's just a lengthy process). I spent all that time taking care of him and only left the room for an hour or two a day to grab dinner or take the kids somewhere. The kids' trip was affected too in that there were many activities they couldn't do or we couldn't take them to.

I'm going to submit a claim for reimbursement through the travel insurance company, Travelex, but I was curious if anyone has had any luck getting reimbursed for "Trip interruption" and who qualifies for it? Will it just be him, or me too, what about the kids? How much of our trip will be reimbursed? We feel like it basically ruined at least half of our trip.

This was our first cruise and we hope to take another one. For what little we got to enjoy, Disney is great!

mmouse37
03-25-2005, 09:48 AM
I can't comment specifically on Travelex or a medical reason for interruption, but we were reimbursed under Trip Interruption with Access America last September when our 7 day cruise turned into 5 days due to Hurricane Jeanne (ship delayed departure for 2 days). We had to find someplace to sleep for 2 nights until the cruise (chose the Poly) plus keep our rental car longer and pay for 2 days of meals that would have been included on the cruise. We submitted all our receipts for hotel, meals, rental car, etc and were reimbursed most of our claim. Claim was $630...we got a check for $600.

I would bet that trip interruption would apply in your case. Just make sure you make copies of everything before you submit anything to the insurance co.

I would call Travelex to make sure what is needed to file the claim.

Hope your hubby makes a speedy recovery....

allears
03-25-2005, 09:54 AM
So sorry to hear about your husband's injuries and the time it's taking out of your lives.

I have only submitted claims for trip delay, but the coverage was per person with a dollar cap. You documents should outline some of this, but I would think you would all be covered as the trip was interupted for all of you and you are all insured.

mmouse37
03-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I recant.....we filed our claim under Trip Delay not Trip Interruption....I got confused....Allears reminded me when I read his post because he was delayed for the same cruise...sorry I misspoke but I still think you should be covered with your reasons...

budwmn
03-25-2005, 01:23 PM
We were just reimbursed through Access America (The DCL insurance) for trip interruption. My son was sick for the first 3 days of our cruise due to norovirus. He was put in isolation by the ship's doctor. We received full reimbursement for myself, my DH, and my DS for 3 days worth of cruise fare. DCL was very helpful in providing documentation for us to prove that he was sick.

Good luck and sorry about your trip. (I know how awful it is to have part of your trip ruined). Hope your husband is better soon! :)

allears
03-25-2005, 01:27 PM
We were just reimbursed through Access America (The DCL insurance) for trip interruption. My son was sick for the first 3 days of our cruise due to norovirus. He was put in isolation by the ship's doctor. We received full reimbursement for myself, my DH, and my DS for 3 days worth of cruise fare. DCL was very helpful in providing documentation for us to prove that he was sick.

Good luck and sorry about your trip. (I know how awful it is to have part of your trip ruined). Hope your husband is better soon! :)

I had forgotten about reading similar posts in the last couple of years, and also liking this aspect of the insurance. So, DisJen you should probably get your claim paid.