PDA

View Full Version : Nassau Shopping Tips

QueenTriton
03-23-2005, 05:42 PM
We are planning on doing a little shopping in Nassau. I'd like to know you're favorite shops and purchases (from trinkets to t-shirts to treasures), as well as positive and negative experiences. If it is like I remember from 15 years ago, the exterior of the shop may not always reflect the quality of the experience!

GenieDana
03-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Just be wary of the fakes, frauds, pick pockets, pushy peddlers, ...

Don't be taken advantage of. Not that I personally have there, but shopping in that kind of environment is not that pleasurable to me.

QueenTriton
03-24-2005, 12:25 PM
We've been to Nassau before, many years ago, and taken numerous trips to Mexico, so we are pretty good at saying No Thank You and moving on. I'm just wondering, with the many stores selling similar items, are there any that people here would recommend. Also, we are looking for info. and favorite purchases, whether tshirts or diamonds. We are planning on limiting our time ashore to a little shopping and maybe a drink. We have two elementary age kids and would like to get some time at the pool without too big a crowd.

Thanks!

mrp4352
03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
My SIL and niece loved the color changing fingernail polish! One of the stores on that main shopping street sells items that change color in the sun. :sunny: All summer they would show off their color changing toes and fingers!

mom x4,grandma x4
03-24-2005, 02:46 PM
If your looking for bargains on clothes, knick knacks, towels and some hand made stuff, the straw market is the best place. You can dicker the prices quite a bit. Check everything over very closely for missing buttons, stains, etc... Most things are ok. But be prepared for rveryone to be talking to you about buying their stuff. Also it's very crowded from top to bottom. So watch your wallets carefully.
One block over are lots of nicer looking shops, but prices are a lot higher for the same stuff. Lots of nice jewelry stores everywhere. You will have a shopping director on board who will give a shopping presentation you can attend, he's very helpful. They also play a tape of his presentation on your tv in your stateroom that you can watch. You will also be given a paper with all the approved stores by the cruise line for good service. Most stick to these stores. There are several people, including kids stopping you on the street trying to sell you things, most are not too pushy because security is all over the area. Last year they did a major clean up of the dock aea so the buildings look much better than they use to, but some need work, but still have good stuff inside.
mom x4,grandma x4

genmasjoy
03-24-2005, 08:53 PM
There is a pirate museum in downtown Nassau, walking distance from the ship. My son loved it - you might check it out while you are there. It would probably be more fun than shopping for your kids.

alexandrew
03-25-2005, 06:22 AM
yes, it's hot and crowded, with narrow aisles....

But we got some really cool stuff there at low prices...DW got a straw bag with Tinkerbell on it.....I collect the various vehicles they sell made out of Coca-Cola cans....

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)
03-26-2005, 12:29 PM
DelSol is the only stop we make in Nassau--then get right back on the ship. Another poster mentioned the place with the color change nail polish--I got some there--it really is awesome! They also have sunglasses, hats, bags, bathingsuits, watches and jewelery. Our favorites are the t-shirts. They are black and white, but when sunlight hits them, they turn vibrant colors. My kids think they are the coolest thing since running water. They are a decent quality too--the ones we got them 2 years ago still are white, not too stretched, and still change color in the sun.