PDA

View Full Version : Need your help!

UGAFan0829
03-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Okay, y'all...I've finally saved enough for the deposit to reserve our next cruise...but there is one small detail that still needs to be figured out before I book...THE DATE!!! arrgh! I've been thinking about it since we came back from our last cruise back in January. I was contemplating March, but last weekend my sister and her family all took a trip to Pigeon Forge, and now we are thinking of making it an annual thing...so now I think March would be out of the question for that reason. I was thinking about doing January again too, but I'm a little afraid of the weather then. :guilty:
So, I know I've already asked this before...but I'm hoping I can get a better response this time...What time of year do you like to sail and why? TIA!

webray
03-23-2005, 09:08 AM
We sail in the off season..september.

Great prices, and yes, we take the chance of hurricanes..but we haven't had a problem yet.

jacobatt1
03-23-2005, 09:17 AM
We sailed in October last year and the weather was perfect. The price seems pretty good then too. We have 3 days off for fall break, so that made it easier(if you have school-aged kids). Our next cruise is for May, so I'll let you know how they compare!! :flower:

(We're in Gainesville/Flowery Branch, anywhere near you???)

Amy

UGAFan0829
03-23-2005, 09:25 AM
We sailed in October last year and the weather was perfect. The price seems pretty good then too. We have 3 days off for fall break, so that made it easier(if you have school-aged kids). Our next cruise is for May, so I'll let you know how they compare!! :flower:

(We're in Gainesville/Flowery Branch, anywhere near you???)

Amy

Great...thanks! I was thinking of September or October, so now I'm glad to know that October is still nice.

Yes, you are near me...I'm in Hoschton...which isn't very far from Flowery Branch. I'm actually in Barrow County, but less than a mile from the Gwinnett line...right off of 124.

logan1_2000
03-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Um, how shall I put this...okay, let's try this..."You're kidding, right?! Gonna make Pidgeon Forge a priority over DCL?"

Now, to explain, I am being sarcastic and of course the point is that FAMILY is the attraction, not Pidgeon Forge. And I am sure it is lovely there. It just struck me that DCL, which is a premium priced exclusive vacation, would take a back seat to Pidgeon Forge, which I must confess I can't seem to find anywhere in the latest Conde Nast Travel Guide.

Any chance that for at least one year the family would all do DCL together? I'm fairly certain Pidgeon Forge will still be there the next year.

As for when else to go other than March...if you must...the issues are whether kids would need to miss school and are you willing to do that if applicable, hurricane season, is school in session for that date which is a big impact on price, and temperature. I agree with many others, September and October would have great warmth at value season pricing--but there is the assumption of the risk of hurricane season and the disputive possiblities.

Good luck, and say hello to Dollywood

UGAFan0829
03-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Um, how shall I put this...okay, let's try this..."You're kidding, right?! Gonna make Pidgeon Forge a priority over DCL?"

Now, to explain, I am being sarcastic and of course the point is that FAMILY is the attraction, not Pidgeon Forge. And I am sure it is lovely there. It just struck me that DCL, which is a premium priced exclusive vacation, would take a back seat to Pidgeon Forge, which I must confess I can't seem to find anywhere in the latest Conde Nast Travel Guide.

Any chance that for at least one year the family would all do DCL together? I'm fairly certain Pidgeon Forge will still be there the next year.

As for when else to go other than March...if you must...the issues are whether kids would need to miss school and are you willing to do that if applicable, hurricane season, is school in session for that date which is a big impact on price, and temperature. I agree with many others, September and October would have great warmth at value season pricing--but there is the assumption of the risk of hurricane season and the disputive possiblities.

Good luck, and say hello to Dollywood

Well, since it is family that will be going to Pigeon Forge, then I guess it does take priority over DCL since the only two people who would be going on the cruise are me and the DH. Not to mention the fact that the kids would be out of school for Spring Break, so therefore, they wouldn't have to miss any school.

Actually, Pigeon Forge is quite lovely. It's very nice to rent a big cabin and be able to spend lots of time with the family. Not to mention, there are lots of things to do there that my family enjoys. It's not always about the "premium priced exclusive" things that really matter!

I do one day want to take the family on a cruise, but with 6 kids, and the youngest being just a little over a year and also having epilepsy, then I don't think right now is a good time!

jacobatt1
03-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi neighbor!

Yes, October is still very nice and warm. We wore shorts and sandals every day and sleeveless dresses for dinner (just me and dd, ha ha) and it was in the 80s the whole time. I was a little nervous about it still being hurricane season, especially with last year's hurricanes (!), but since we were at the end of the month the odds were in our favor.

You might want to consider WDW a day before or after the cruise, b/c they have Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at that time of year. It was fun!! You pay an admission ticket so you don't have to have park passes, and it's from 6 or 7 til midnight. Maybe a fun way to start or end a trip if you're going to drive---just another thought for October.

Have fun planning! :flower:

Amy

jrabbit
03-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Pidgeon Forge - isn't that where Dollywood is?

If so then it's in Tennessee and I'm thinking that the weather there in March isn't the greatest. :cold: Now in the caribbean, it's just about perfect!! :sunny:

That being said, Pidgeon Forge is probably a lot easier on the pocketbook :teacher:

UGAFan0829
03-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Pidgeon Forge - isn't that where Dollywood is?

If so then it's in Tennessee and I'm thinking that the weather there in March isn't the greatest. :cold: Now in the caribbean, it's just about perfect!! :sunny:

That being said, Pidgeon Forge is probably a lot easier on the pocketbook :teacher:

Yes, it is in Tennesee, but when we went last weekend the weather wasn't bad at all. It was cold at night, but was warm enough during the day to do what we wanted! :sunny:

bratray
03-23-2005, 01:09 PM
hi

i enjoy vacationing in may- :sunny: we have done FL for the past 8 years in may- the weather is great- not scorching hot like in the summer but still hot to enjoy the pool & beaches- no worry of hurricanes (hopefully) and prices are pretty good, only thing is the kids will have to come out of school- oh yeah, try not to plan around memorial day then you know the prices will be higher :wave2:

briarroseALS
03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
I too love to cruise during May or April. I am from Florida so the Fcat school testing is usually finished by March so taking the little one out of school isnt a problem. The weather is not too hot! The weather is usually just right! ::MickeyMo