PDA

View Full Version : Rough Seas?

My 2 Princesses Boat
03-22-2005, 07:56 PM
I just looked up the weather for our cruise this weekend. Sat. and Sunday is scattered thunderstorms in port Canaveral and Key West :sad2:

My question is how rough will the seas be? :confused3

I want to be prepared so none of us will get seasick. I plan on bring with us Non-drowsey dramamine and regular Dramanine. I also have a prescription for motion sickness (can't remember the name of it). so how early should we take the medicines? We've been on small boats on a lake and that doesn't bother us. I have been deep sea fishing once (never again) on a small fishing cruiser, and was very sea sick on that. Dh wasn't. If there is anything better than Dramamine out there, please let me know as I will be going shopping for things on Friday. Thanks for your help and info!

burma
03-22-2005, 08:05 PM
not sure about the seas but you can call your doctor and ask for a prescripton for Scapolamine ....
This is a patch that you place behind your ear. each patch lasts for 3 days then you just peel it off and put a new one on for longer crusies ... its about the size of a nickle and works quite well no drowsienss but there can be a small side effect of dry mouth so drink lots of water .... my wife is quite prone to sea sickness and it works quite well for her.

mommasita
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I have read that some people have taken the medicine a day prior to sailing, to make sure of no ill effects. And then on the morning of the cruise, and throughout as well. This way, you are almost guaranteed to be well. Also the medical clinic onboard (deck 1) has a basket hanging outdoors with some seasick medicine, and ear patches...At least they did during the hurricanes. :p

I think the seas are a hit or a miss situation.. We sailed around Jeanne, and had gorgeous weather until... she took a turn, and at one point the captain said we were no more than 200 miles and all of a sudden, look out, it was awful. All the pools were shut down, and we had to rush to get into port..

I am sure you will all be all right...ENjoy your cruise. :flower:

tinkerbellmagic
03-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I once got seasick on a sailboat in Hawaii. I wasn't going to take any chances on DCL. I've cruised DCL three times, with the fourth coming up this weekend. I always take Bonine the day before we sail and every day of the cruise and have never had any problems. I know it's working too, because when we went on the Golden Eagle Catamaran, there were six people vomiting. I wasn't one of them. :-) Bonine all the way. Sure, it makes me a little drowsy at night, but anything is better than seasickness on vacation.

Tink

pooh luver
03-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Hey, we are sailing with you. I used Bonine for the last cruise here on the west coast and it worked well. Both times on DC I haven't had any trouble and have taken anything but I might this time.

My 2 Princesses Boat
03-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey, we are sailing with you. I used Bonine for the last cruise here on the west coast and it worked well. Both times on DC I haven't had any trouble and have taken anything but I might this time.

Hi Pooh Luver!!! Can you get Bonine at the drugstore or is it a prescription? I heard this is good. Also do they have it for children, or can it be cut in half? We own a boat on a large lake, but never have problems with motion sickeness, and that boat rocks when it is still. That boat we went on for the deep sea fishing trip was like one of those boats you see in Jaws movie :rotfl: I kept hoping a shark wouldn't get us because I knew he can chew that boat in half :rotfl: Anyways, I just want to be prepared. Better than not being prepared!!!!

tinkerbellmagic
03-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Well, I got my Bonine at the drug store off the shelf. :flower: For the kids, they came out with a children's Dramamine. I used the kids Dramamine (off the shelf) for my 6 yo DGS on DCL last Dec. Since the last cruise was only a 3 dayer, I threw caution to the wind and didn't give him any more meds after the first night since the seas were calm. My teen daughter will start out with Bonine on our upcoming cruise and depending on the seas, she may discontinue taking it after the first night, like she did on a previous "calm sea" Eastern.

Hmmm, not too thrilled with that weather report for this weekend. :umbrella: Let's hope for sunny skies for our Easter cruise! :sunny:

Tink

spotdog
03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
I am an "easy queasy" but have done great in 16-24ft seas (it felt like being on an endless elevator,up and down) by taking Meclizine (also called Bonine) the day before a trip and continuing it, as directed, until the seas calmed.

On the last night of the Disney 4 day Cruise the Captain announced we would hit rough seas in about 4 hours. I took the Meclizine right then and swayed through dinner and rocked to sleep with no sickness. :angel:

I hear that Meclizine is not recommended for kids under 12. I would talk with your pediatrician ahead of time. If all else fails, get fresh air, look at the horizon and ask staff for those convenient little bags.:confused3

jlawall
03-22-2005, 10:36 PM
I just want to say that I am always seasick on small boats but never on DCL. I have taken Bonine but it makes me really tired. I have found that especially on the Western cruise, I am fine w/o taking anything.

Lizardbeth61
03-22-2005, 10:42 PM
DH is very prone to motion sickness. The poor guy loves to SCUBA and usually feeds the fish when he goes. Personally I'd have to give up diving, but he's a persistent guy.

Anyway, about the kids, I talked to DD doctor before our last trip to make sure there were no drug interaction problems as she takes another med and was told that anything would be fine, but it might make her more sleepy. Then I proceeded to give her Bonine and she was fine. The point is that she was 10 at the time and I'd never read the package that said about children until this time.

I gave our 8 year old 1/4 of a tablet because he thought he "needed it," although he was instantly better the minute he swallowed it. Figured better to take the chance on that tiny bit and let him think he was protected than let him imagine himself into sickness. The motion doesn't bother him. Our DH was a bit queasy on a rough day, but Bonine got her going again although I know they say after you feel sick it's too late. Is that true? Anyway, our DS lived even though it's not suggested for children under 12.

I'd suggest checking with your doctor about the Bonine and kids 'cause it sure makes us less drowsy than Dramamine.

My 2 Princesses Boat
03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I got the Dramamine (non drowsy and drowsy) aand I will get the Bonine, and start that the night before. I just checked the weather again last night and it changed from scattered thunderstorms Sat. and Sun to Sunny and 80's :cool1: :sunny: But I am not taking any chances!

newcruiser05
03-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Just so you know, the patch you place behind your ear does work however one of the side effects is BLURRED vision. I had to take it off and it took more than 24 hours for my vision to clear up. There were two of us from our meets group that had this problem so I think it is fairly common and it states this in big letters on the package. I guess you have to decide between sea sickness and blurred vision. Luckily, we had pretty calm seas and I never got sick after I took the patch off.

mrsfuzzmo
03-24-2005, 08:55 AM
The "patch" works wonders for those who get very seasick, as does some of my family. Two of them are pharmacists and they swear by them. None of them have had any other side effects other than the dry mouth, but I know that it effects people differently.

Bonine will not make you drowsy. Regular dramamine will. Dramamine Non-drowsy; haven't heard any report either way.

Now, the weather predictors are not the same as the prediction for the "seas". I have been on cruises when it has been 90 and sunny, but the seas were 18-20 ft. I have also been through rain/thunderstorms with seas flat as can be. You just never know. I enjoy the rough seas, that to me is what being on the sea is all about. I love sleeping to the rocking motion, walking the halls and wandering from wall to wall, sitting in the pools that have turned into wave pools, watching the horizon out the windows appear and disappear ~ LOVE IT.

Your best bet is to try as was mentioned above. Take a Bonine 24 hours before you board to get it into your system and then take it as directed and barring any unforseen 30 ft seas, you should be fine.

Mrsfuzzmo

BaileyEvanH
03-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. We are in Jacksonville, Fl and the weather changes by the minute. I pulled up weather.com and it said only a 30% chance on Sat and 20% in Key West on Sun. Thats not much for Fl. Keep your fingers crossed. Its always good to be prepared! We will be on the ship with you and "yes" we will have our Bonine with us---Sea bands too!

auntrenae
03-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi Tink,
We're going to be on the Wonder this weekend, it that when you will be there?

I've never had a problem with seasickness, but I know people who do, and some tell me that the accupressure bands work well for them with no side effects. I don't know where you get them though...

Most of the people I know who have had problems say that the beginning and end of the cruise when we are crossing the gulf stream. That causes a little rougher seas than the rest of the cruise.

I hope this helps,
Renae

Goin4forty
03-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Just got off the Wonder today. Had great weather. When we left on Sunday, I thought it was a little bit rough. My 8 yr old dd got a little queasy. But the rest of the trip went great for all four of us. This was our first cruise, so I am no expert!!