PDA

View Full Version : Can we bring our own toilet paper?

Red71
03-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh wow I'm so embarrassed to ask this question, but we really want to know.

Can we bring our own fluffy soft T.P. so we don't have to use the single ply tin rough T.P on board? :blush: We don't want to clug up the plumbing :blush: An before anyone asks , Yes we do bring our own T.P. when we go to the resorts at WDW, or any other vacation.:blush:

bratray
03-22-2005, 02:47 PM
they probably use special TP for the septic system- but who knows? :confused3
first time i have ever seen this question posted....
no offense intended but thanks i really needed a laugh today:rotfl:

joanb
03-22-2005, 03:22 PM
We bought TP in Key West as the kids counldn't take the rough stuff any longer- and they asked the past couple of days if we were going to pack our own for next month.

pppiglet
03-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Oh great! Something else to pack. Is the stuff on board really that bad?

Hopkins
03-22-2005, 04:08 PM
I believe it's the same toilet paper as in the Disney resorts. It seems the same. Similar to Scotts.

Does anyone like the flushable toilet paper wipes?

Tina :)
Mexican Riviera 5/28/05

Jiffymom
03-22-2005, 04:30 PM
you must be kidding.

ChrisnSteph
03-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Wow. I don't even know what to say....I suppose you could bring your own? But if everyone did that on the ship I could only imagine what septic problems they would have.

aprilgail2
03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
We bring the flushable wet butt wipes when we go on vacations.

tecdavidt
03-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I would check with DCL on this one. Marine toilets are picky systems. I know if anything plugs up the system it can go down and it won't just be one stateroom. That is why there is a warning sign above the toilets. Our system on our boat is a Vacuflush style by Sealand and we have a special paper we have to use. It doesn't clog the system. I can only imagine what a soft Charmin style tissue would do to the system, toilets would get plugged because Charmin tissue does not dissolve fast. Kathy

alexandrew
03-22-2005, 05:21 PM
In lurking on this board for 4 years, I can definitely write with confidence that your question was the one and only on this topic..... :hourglass

alwayslisad
03-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Well actually I thought this was a very good question. For my family, I pack our Wipes/Soap and even our Pillows and many other things. My DH and DD are picky when it comes to certain things - Toilet paper is one of them.

:rolleyes1 ;)

dzneprincess
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
That reminds me, on our recent 11/27/04 cruise there was one morning that the toilets would not flush for about an hour. I wonder if the problem was something simliar? I totally forgot about it until reading this thread.

DIS NURSE
03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: TOO FUNNY YOU PEOPLE! Maybe it's because we are "outdoors", Oregon mountain folks.....but we would wipe with tree leaves if that's what they offered on the Disney Cruise....no questions asked! We are just so darn excited to go.... :banana: :banana: :banana:

I know....how about we find a good use for those yummy "Uncrustables" they serve as PB & J's and all use those to wipe with? THEY HAVE GOT TO BE SUPER SOFT! And, surely they willl degrade in the sewer system....heck! They go through people's bodies don't they? :cool1: :cool1:

DIS NUSRE from Oregon :earsgirl:

CamColt
03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
That reminds me, on our recent 11/27/04 cruise there was one morning that the toilets would not flush for about an hour. I wonder if the problem was something simliar? I totally forgot about it until reading this thread.

Were you in port that day?
We had that happen on our last cruise, the toilets wouldnt work one morning(of course right after DH used it :rolleyes: ). We embarrasingly asked about it thinking just ours was clogged and we were told that sometimes while in port the toilets stop working. By the time we got back on board after our day at CC, it was all clear. ;)

jordgubben
03-22-2005, 10:02 PM
wow...

MrsMork
03-22-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm with DIS Nurse, we Oregonians can make do with a handful of leaves just fine. :banana: :rotfl2:

cmaasfamily
03-23-2005, 05:00 AM
Note to self: Wash hands after meeting Oregonians. ;) :rotfl2:

lbgraves
03-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Yes, since we will be cruising with Oregonians I will have to remember that. ;) :)

dzneprincess
03-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Were you in port that day?
We had that happen on our last cruise, the toilets wouldnt work one morning(of course right after DH used it :rolleyes: ). We embarrasingly asked about it thinking just ours was clogged and we were told that sometimes while in port the toilets stop working. By the time we got back on board after our day at CC, it was all clear. ;)I cant remember now! LOL But it was the same for us. One of the kids had just used theirs ( they were across the hall) they told me it didnt work so I tried mine also.

Careycrew
03-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Our DF is trying to cut costs and save room in the luggage whenever we can so I guess we'll make do TP leaves or whatever we get in the room. No fancy TP or butt wipes for this crew.

:rotfl2: :confused3 :rotfl2:

my3kids
03-23-2005, 07:51 AM
My DH hates the fact that I take my own pillow when we travel. I can't imagine the reaction from him, or even my children, if I announced I was packing toliet paper. :confused3

HooKooDooKu
03-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Well actually I thought this was a very good question. For my family, I pack our Wipes/Soap and even our Pillows and many other things. My DH and DD are picky when it comes to certain things - Toilet paper is one of them.

:rolleyes1 ;)

I agree, a very good question indeed. And I can understand the pickyness issue when it comes to some of these matters. I can recall a time when my parents had his & hers TP (he used one brand, she used another)... then again they just might still.

makaira
03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Good question. My company sells yachts and I can tell you that putting the wrong kind of TP into one of those vaccuflush heads can cause a mechanic a major headache. I had to help our captain fix one and can assure you it wasn't pretty. :rotfl2: I would definitely check with DCL before I brought my own.

gatrbait
03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
This is too funny...although along the same idea...are all the bathrooms really clean? Even in CC? I have this strange phobia about dirty public bathrooms :blush: . Sorry to intrude on the thread. Please let us all know if we can bring our soft TP.
Thank you!!

angelaj
03-23-2005, 12:13 PM
This is too funny...although along the same idea...are all the bathrooms really clean? Even in CC? I have this strange phobia about dirty public bathrooms :blush: . Sorry to intrude on the thread. Please let us all know if we can bring our soft TP.
Thank you!!

I too have a public bathroom phobia. But no need to worry! The bathrooms on the ship (cabins and public) are spotless, as well as the bathrooms at Castaway Cay.

gatrbait
03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
angelaj, thank you so much for easing my mind:worried:. You know its just one of those things...some people don't like bugs...I would rather hang my butt over the rail than deal with a nasty bathroom:scared1:.

angelaj
03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Ha ha gatrbait, you're funny, but I totally understand! :rotfl2:

You will be impressed at how clean your cabin bathroom is. Your room steward goes in there and SCRUBS EVERYTHING every single day, even the floor! You will have a magnificently clean and germ-free bathroom and toilet.

jlowejd5
03-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Continue to hope we do not get the stateroom directly below gatrbait...

:rotfl2:

Hollua
03-23-2005, 12:40 PM
:confused3 :rotfl2: :rotfl: Thanks all for the chuckle.

gatrbait
03-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Since DCL is so clean I won't have to worry about hanging my butt anywhere and you won't have to worry about anything but shaking hands with anyone from Oregon :rotfl:. Although I have to admit I was getting ready to be armed with Lysol, bleach spray and everything else!!! :crazy:

mom x4,grandma x4
03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Howdy,
I loved your t paper question. You might consider checking out t paper they sell to use in motor homes. It is made to work for the same basic system. There is a brand that is fairly soft, that we use to get when we had an RV.
Sorry I can't think of the name, but got it at camping world. Regular tissue will clog their system. Have a great cruise!
Thankyou for making everyones day a bit brighter.
mom x4,grandma x4

Red71
03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Ha Ha glad I gave you all a laugh with my serious embarrassing question.:blush: Since some said yes and some said no I called up DCL. She laughed too :blush: . She said it would most likely be alright. I would think they would tell them at the resveration center if they had problems with T.P.

Hope this helps anyone else.

budwmn
03-23-2005, 01:34 PM
My family got food poisoning on one cruise and spent a lot of time in the bathroom one night. Let's just say Charmin would have made all the difference! :rotfl:

lisa702
03-23-2005, 01:38 PM
:rotfl2: and to think I almost didn't read this thread.........some of the replies have been very :rotfl: entertaining

lbgraves
03-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Hmmm...wonder if the captain is reading this one. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: BTW, I don't trust everything the reservation center says. Afterall, there are alot of times that DISers know things before them. :)

alwayslisad
03-23-2005, 02:49 PM
My family got food poisoning on one cruise and spent a lot of time in the bathroom one night. Let's just say Charmin would have made all the difference! :rotfl:

It is a RIOT that you mention that! :rotfl2:

Due to an issue of THAT nature my DH will only USE one brand!!!

my3kids
03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
I would think they would tell them at the resveration center if they had problems with T.P.

Actually, I bet that is one situation no one ever thought to tell the reservations center because it likely occured to no one that someone would bring their own.

cruisenewbie2004
03-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Do you plan to only use the toilet in your cabin no matter where you are on the ship? Or will you be transporting a big ol' roll in your purse all day?

Sorry, but I think it is a rather silly thing.

joanb
03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Truthfully...I try to only use stateroom bathroom in an effert to cut down on germs and getting sick with that norwalk (sp) flu stuff and I have my children use only stateroom bathroom if at all possible.

Red71
03-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Do you plan to only use the toilet in your cabin no matter where you are on the ship? Or will you be transporting a big ol' roll in your purse all day?

Sorry, but I think it is a rather silly thing.

If you are "regular" then I guess you know when to be in your cabin. ;)

I was also thinking of the food poisioning thing, not necessarily food poisioning, but what could happen from the overindulgence of the food.
If people have used the flushable butt wipes then Charmin can't be worse of a clogger than them.

MrsMork
03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Yes, since we will be cruising with Oregonians I will have to remember that. ;) :)

Now ya'll are getting the wrong impression of Oregonians. We do have and use all the modern conveniences. :confused3 Just stating that in a pinch we can make do and will not be packing an extra suitcase filled with toilet paper to haul across the country. :teeth:

pppiglet
03-24-2005, 12:23 AM
The DCL stuff is fine for us. On another note.... Haven't you ever heard that Charmin gives some women bladder infections? My sister's doctor told her that!! Could be an old wives tale though. Just a tad of info to add to this weird thread. It's so funny to read everyone's responses!

HappyLawyer
03-24-2005, 07:51 AM
wow that was such a great question,
here are some options ok if you want to bring your own tp but you do not want to clog the system you can do this-ok now we are all adults so this is not to gross anyone out but i will retreat to pre school for a min,
if you do number 1 there are these scented bags you can get from the store these are bags women normally use to dispose of their monthly-you know-ok anyway they are scented and you can tie them they are called diaper disposal bags but if you number 1 with your own tissue you can put the tissue in there and tie the bag and place it in the garbage or have a private palstic garbage bag to thorw them away, i am not sure if your situation is this extreme, i am trying to help, i have no suggestions on the other number (2) i would use the tissue in the cabin for that.
hope this did not make anyone uncomfortable.
I have never felt this weird typing a response on these boards before :rotfl:

jlowejd5
03-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Here's a trick that I learned...I mean, that somebody was telling me about...

If one were to, say, take some of the tp on the ship and put it into the bowl as a streamer down from the roll, and then one were to, say, flush said terlet, the suction force of the whoosh system will suck the tp down and spin the remaining roll like a nervous hummingbird on crystal meth.

It's actually quite entertaining. Theoretically, I mean.

(In truth, we actually got told about this one by a CM at the huge-big Disney store at DTD as we were checking out.)

jlowejd5
03-24-2005, 08:43 AM
It's a world of curry
A world of beers
It's a world of hot wings
And a few more beers
I do not want to share
So you won't be aware
I need two-ply after all

There is just my moon
So I've got to run
And a grimace means
"Uh-oh" to ev'ryone
Though the bathrooms divide
And the staterooms are wide
I brought air-spray after all

I need two-ply after all
I need two-ply after all
I need two-ply after all
I need one, two ply...

mmouse37
03-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Very cute...took me a bit but then I got the Small World After All tune going!!!

Wow...lately it seems folks really want to bring along their own stuff...like:

TP
Ketchup
Artificial Sweetner
Peanut Butter
Coffee (& Coffee Maker)
Steak Sauce

what am I forgetting??? I guess folks have a fondness for certain comfort items but I figure I am on vacation and the less stuff I need to cart around with me the better. I am glad I have no real allegiance to certain brands of stuff (well I do at home but not on vacation...I feel I can survive for a week with whatever DCL provides)

MrsMork
03-24-2005, 09:52 AM
It's a world of curry
A world of beers
It's a world of hot wings
And a few more beers
I do not want to share
So you won't be aware
I need two-ply after all

There is just my moon
So I've got to run
And a grimace means
"Uh-oh" to ev'ryone
Though the bathrooms divide
And the staterooms are wide
I brought air-spray after all

I need two-ply after all
I need two-ply after all
I need two-ply after all
I need one, two ply...

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

jrabbit
03-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes folks, we have the "Phrase of the Day"
and spin the remaining roll like a nervous hummingbird on crystal meth.

DIS NURSE
03-24-2005, 10:51 AM
:cool1: REMEMBER....YOU CAN ALWAYS ORDER UNCRUSTABLES FROM ROOM SERVICE 24/7 AND HAVE A SUPER SOFT (YET ABSORBANT) SURFACE FOR WHICH TO WIPE YOUR TUSHIE! :cool1: :rotfl2: :cool1: :rotfl2:

:flower: DIS NURSE FROM OREGON :flower:

minniemouse1
03-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Never thought of packing tp but I will not be telling DH. He would definately have me pack some. He is VERY picky about this.

bbowers
03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I always used to think someone packing TP was completely anal (oh, bad choice of words there), but after spending less than a week at OKW with a friend last June, she and I both agreed we would be tempted next trip. We were both mighty uncomfortable by the time we headed home!

But the TP on DCL seemed better to me than what was at WDW.

lbgraves
03-24-2005, 01:53 PM
ROFLMAO!!! I can't believe this thread is still going. Thanks for the laugh today!

BigAl
03-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Sorry to keep this post going, but I've seen the results on the Magic when something non degradable goes in the toilet ( luckily not on my floor).
It can back up a whole section of toilets. And the little air freshner you brought ain't gonna help, not to mention you and those on your line who won't have the use of the toilet until they hose it out which also isn't a pretty sight.
I wouldn't rely on a Disney telephone operator to have a Clue. Don't put anything in a marine toilet but degradable paper. please.

pppiglet
03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Loved the song! Would love to see the dance that goes with it!

MrsMork
03-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry to keep this post going, but I've seen the results on the Magic when something non degradable goes in the toilet ( luckily not on my floor).
It can back up a whole section of toilets. And the little air freshner you brought ain't gonna help, not to mention you and those on your line who won't have the use of the toilet until they hose it out which also isn't a pretty sight.
I wouldn't rely on a Disney telephone operator to have a Clue. Don't put anything in a marine toilet but degradable paper. please.

This has been a fun thread. But seriously, I agree with this post. Your tush vs. a whole ship of people not being able to flush. Our toilet also did not function for a bit one cruise and we were told it was because someone in another cabin had put something in there that should not have been. Please be kind to us. :bitelip:

Anthony1971
03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
DON'T SQUEEZE THE CHARMIN

:rotfl: :banana: :rotfl2:

jordgubben
03-24-2005, 05:45 PM
jlowejd5 is a musical genius! :rotfl:

auntrenae
03-24-2005, 06:50 PM
I've had the clogged 'terlet' problem on 3 of my 4 cruises, I thought it was a ship thing... now I know what causes that, and I really hope it won't happen again!

I commend the song-writer and hope that next time I go on 'Small World' I don't fall out of the boat laughing! :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

he he he, :teeth:

Renae

budwmn
03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Actually , it's not the toilet paper that causes the problem. According to my last room steward, it's the "feminine products" that are flushed. There's a little paper bag under the sink that's supposed to be used instead.

tecdavidt
03-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Charmin will do the exact same thing as the feminine products. Charmin style tissue is known for clogging low flush toilets. It just does not dissolve fast. We had to replace an entire ceiling because of a clogged low flush toilet and the clog was because of Charmin. Kids just use a lot of paper. (The toilets on cruise ships are considered low flush style.)

There is a marine/RV grade toilet tissue that is 2 ply that will work but it cost a lot more money than the Charmin style of tissue. Please buy that if you insist on bringing your own. This tissue is soft and it dissolves fast. Your fellow cruisers will appreciate that you do not cause the system to go down.
This tissue can be bought at Walmart, West Marine stores and probably any RV supply house.

Kathy