PDA

View Full Version : Sit Down vs. Buffet Lunch

Evans Family
03-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Last cruise we NEVER ate at Topsiders. Can someone tell me if this was a good or bad decision? What was I missing (or not missing?)

I leave in 3 weeks...what should I do differently this time?

For those of you who are wondering why...I have two small children and at buffets I am up and down, up and down getting things for them (forgot_____ you fill in the blank...ketchup, dressing, fork, drink etc.) and my meal is not at all relaxing. They also can't manage trays so we are back and forth getting everyone their food. I find when you have table service there is someone else to "fetch" thinks for you and my meals are much more relaxing and enjoyable.

I can't wait to hear your input!

allears
03-22-2005, 01:57 PM
We have enjoyed both types of meals. We have always liked the selection and quality in Topsiders, espeically breakfast on the deck. We have equally enjoyed the quiet elegance of sitting down and being served at breakfast and lunch. Ultimately, whatever gives you the most enjoyable experience is the best choice. I know what you mean about the buffet and small children. We've just past that phase. It is nice to have someone fetch for you!

depomas
03-22-2005, 02:02 PM
We love both.. But perhaps Topsiders a bit more. The convenience of it being right near the Mickey Pool is great, one can go in at a time... I also love to eat outdoors, and living in the Great White North, can only do that a small portion of the year... :smooth:

I do agree about the sit down meals being more relaxing... With two young ones I hear you loud and clear.. :goodvibes

lbgraves
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
On our first cruise we did enjoy going to PC a couple times for lunch but went to Topsiders for breakfast every morning & some lunches. We had a 3 & 5 yo the first trip and there was always a CM offering to help carry their trays before we reached the end of the line. In fact, DH went snorkling in St. Maarten so I took both kids to breakfast on my own. A couple CMs kept stopping by to talk to them or tickle DS and help me keep them at the table & eatings. On our last cruise the kids hung out with a fellow DISkid and the adults would take turns getting trays from Topsiders while they were in the Mickey pool. At some point we would get them hotdogs or chicken strips & put them on our family's chair so that they would sit down for a minute & eat something.

bratray
03-22-2005, 03:03 PM
i cant wait to have an actual sit down meal where i don't have to move an inch...just enough to get my fork to my mouth- :p i am the mom that gets up one million & one times when at a buffet & by the time i get to eat, my food is cold :sad2:

it will be a luxury to have someone "serve" me my meal- my DH is a big buffet lover so we always end up at some type of buffet.... i am gonna take full advantage of the sit down meals :banana:

warpdarkmatter
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
i only eat b-fast and lunch at top siders i really enjoy the fresh air and sitting on the deck enjoying the view maybe if it was raining i'd try a resturant but then agian so would every on else! may be i'll stick with top siders

logan1_2000
03-22-2005, 03:25 PM
we usually do parrot cay for lunch, occasionally top siders/beach blanket if we are near coming from the pool or basketball court (DS's favorite part of the ships are the basketball courts), but have never done sit down lunch. i know what you mean about the hassle factor with children. we did one sit down breakfast on first cruise and found it to be more problematic than pleasant, as my DSIL sent her eggs back 3 times as not cooked right, someone else sent something back, and had i seen what i ordered before hand, i'd have likely chosen something else (just not a great ship for pancakes--but i know that now, and that's okay--unless i forget like I did on the Wonder two months ago!!).

I'd like to try the lunches, at least once anyway. Probably best on a day where the other afternoon activities, either before or after, include a movie, or one of the disney presentations like wine tasting or napkin folding, or even after showering up from exercising (nothing finishes off 45 minutes of treadmill like a nice big meal -- and calories or fat grams have no effect if eaten on a cruise ship i read somewhere...)

The nicest thing that ever happened on a DCL ship was at dinner on our second cruise, we had a great head waiter, I wish I remembered her name, who would stop by, and would say "please, you enjoy your dinners, I'll be happy to cut your son's steak for you (DS was 6 on that cruise)" -- No one is going to slice DS's steak and let us enjoy our meals while they're hot at PC or the deck 9 buffets, but that is a dinner story.

Lisa F
03-22-2005, 04:04 PM
You're not missing anything. Since the idea of a cruise is to relax, any benefit you'd get from having the buffets that are different from the sit down restaurants would be lost by having to deal with two little kids! I say go for whatever is easiest... people can say what they want about a disney cruise but the one thing you will never hear is that someone starved!

Drcell01
03-22-2005, 04:22 PM
We did Topsiders twice for breakfast. We enjoyed the view of the ocean and the breeze from the movement of the ship as we ate. If you are looking for a quiet breakfast go early as the upper deck gets crowded and noise quickly.

princesspumpkin
03-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I guess I'm just an informal type of girl (plus, DH and I only have DD-8). I enjoy the buffets because they are less formal. Even though we cook and clean at home everyday, I still feel more comfortable serving myself than having someone else "serve" me. I know that lots of people feel the other way around while on vacation, but I guess I just feel guilty, since I am able to do for myself. I feel that going to the dining rooms for dinner is more than enough food "service" for our small family.

allears
03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
..."people can say what they want about a disney cruise but the one thing you will never hear is that someone starved!..."

That's so true. We find that the only time we're really hungry is the day we board the ship before the embarkation lunch! I kind of equate it to the life of a Hobit, because I will start with first breakfast, then second breakfast and so on and so on! :rotfl:

jrabbit
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
That's so true. We find that the only time we're really hungry is the day we board the ship before the embarkation lunch! I kind of equate it to the life of a Hobit, because I will start with first breakfast, then second breakfast and so on and so on! :rotfl:Elevensies!!!

allears
03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Elevensies!!!

EXACTLY111 :rotfl2: