PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on where to get passport photos?

crhenderson
03-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Where do you go to get a passport photo?

Evans Family
03-22-2005, 02:39 PM
AAA does them for free. Walmart or any other portrait studio will do them. Our post office will also do them. Start asking around..I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

dizneefreak29
03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
We've gotten ours down at MotoPhoto. Any place that develops pictures usually has something set-up for passport photos.

Az Pirates
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
I called our AAA and they only offer one person free (even though we pay for 3 on our membership) Was not worth it to drive all the way across town to their office for us. Different locales may have diff. policies though - worth checking on.

Here are some approximate prices I got when I called around here:

Costco $4.99
Walgreens $7.99
Kinko's $14
Passport processing office at the PO $10
(not all locations offer photos though)

Be sure and double check in your own area - but hopefully this will be a good starting point for you.

tink1963
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
:wave2: We got ours done at the local copy shop. We were in and out in 5 minutes. I was expecting the whole passport process to take me days to do, but pictures and application process was very easy and took no time at all. We took our applications to the county clerk-recorders office. no appt. needed and very short line. only one person in front of us. :Pinkbounc :banana:

myboysmom
03-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Walgreens does them in their photo deptartment, there seems to be one on every corner.

epjenk
03-22-2005, 03:09 PM
If you go to the passport agency website you can look up the closest passport office to you. The website will also tell you if that location does photo on site, and you can also download the application forms so that you can fill them out before you go. We had our pictures done at the passport office, and the guy that did them said that it was a good thing. We had to get our passport for our 3 month old baby, and he said they are really picky about getting the baby pictures the right size- sometimes they reject the application if the picture is not sized properly.

carriep1657
03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
We got ours done at Costco. There was no line. She literally took both of my kids pictures in about 3 minutes time. I paid for the pictures then shopped while the photos dried. As I headed towards checkout, I walked passed the photo area and the girl passed me the pictures. It was soooo easy and fast and cheap. I was impressed.

carriep1657
03-22-2005, 04:55 PM
epjenk, is right about the baby pictures though. My daughter got her first when she was a few months old. We got them at JC Penney that time. She had to lie down and the guy stood over her and worked it so that she filled up enough of the frame to be approved. DD hated it. She looks completely terrified in the picture. If your child is a bit older and happens to have a small head, some places can't do it either. My sister calls her family the Pinheads. :) She took my nephew to Kinkos when he was about 2, they said that they couldn't do it because his head was too small and their camera was in a fixed position. She had to go somewhere where they could move the camera closer to the subject.

mochabean
03-22-2005, 09:53 PM
AAA will only do the member, but will do family members for 7.95, so it still is a pretty good deal.

The warning about the baby pics is right on. For our 8 month old, we first went to JC Penney because it was convenient, but when we went to the passport agency, the agent told us that the picture was not regulation size (it was like 1.75" wide) and the head was not big enough. She was willing to send it in, but said they would likely call us and tell us to send new pics. So she kindly finished the paperwork and held the application while we ran to AAA and got new pics.
So just a warning, make sure the pics are 2"x2" and the head is at least an inch, or you may get rejected. The passport agent told us, just because the pics come in a nice little cardboard folder doesn't mean the photographer knows what they are doing!

At AAA I knelt on the floor and held the baby on my head against the wall, and the pics came out great.

diznefan76
03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
I had mine taken at Costco too. Very quick...less then 5min and they were only $5 for 2 pictures!

Billinaz
03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Do it yourself.

They scan them in now instead of attaching them, I did ours with a digital camera and color inkjet printer....

diznefan76
03-23-2005, 09:40 PM
:banana: :banana: YEA!!!! Got my passport in the mail today! Now if only we could leave tomorrow for the cruise!..lol :cool1: