PDA

View Full Version : best port for Jewelry

feenie
03-22-2005, 12:32 PM
between the Eastern and Western ports:
What is the VERY best port to buy Jewelry in?

Thanks!! :wave2:

LAMPSKIES
03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
We got some real good prices in Cozumel......I was looking for a Rolex for my wife that matches mine and the prices everywhere bot Cozumel were within 10% of my local dealer.......I'd rather spend the extra 10% knowing that MY jewler will "take care of me".

jmcdonnell04
03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
My DW decided to start a Tanzanite collection shopping in Phillipsburg,
(Dutch Side) of St. Marten. The French side is very reminiscient of
shopping in a modern strip mall. My DW is looking forward to a return
visit in September.

poconoboatniks
03-22-2005, 01:18 PM
DH saved a bit on his Tag Heur in St. Thomas. We shopped around at home before the trip, so we knew the prices. The local Tag shop will honor the warranty.

Pocono

tecdavidt
03-22-2005, 01:24 PM
We got a great deal on a Rolex in St. Maarten 3 years ago. We had our local Rolex dealer appraise it and we did save a lot buying it in St. Maarten. The dealer also will service the watch and honor the warrenty since we bought the watch at another Rolex dealer.

I found my best jewelry prices in St. Maarten but I have also purchased jewelry in St. Thomas. I do not buy jewelry on the Western because I have received better prices on the eastern route. Kathy

logan1_2000
03-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Do your jewelry shopping on Sint Maarten, right there in Philipsburg, the capital, on Front Street, in Trident or Shivas jewelry/watch stores, there is one on either side of Front Street--they are ownedby the same family, we got to know them on referral from time share owners on the island when we spent a week at the Divi--these were successful people who reminded me of my parents, the very type of folks who I would have gone looking for to get advice on the topic of where to buy fine jewelry if I were back home. More than one couple who had been going to the island a couple times a year for over 15 years independently sent us there. We ended up re-setting engagement stone, adding additional diamonds, having a matching diamond and platimum anniversary band made, and all top quality that appraised well above what i paid and i paid probably 60 cents on the dollar from what i would have paid U.S., and no, I don't pay retail in the U.S., either. They don't pay cruise ships for inclusion on shopping maps or shopping discussions, so you will not hear about them on board. I have subsequently contacted them by phone and email and made additional purchases from the states and never been anything but very happy. The matriarch of the family is named Varsha. Last I heard her adult son Jay, married with a couple of kids of his own, had gone to Aruba to run a family owned store on that island, but jay is who took care of the detail work after Varsha spoke with DW about what she was looking for.

Drcell01
03-22-2005, 05:17 PM
When we were in Cozumel last September we went shopping for a Tanzanite braclet for my wife. We started at the far end of the strip near the forum shops and just kept walking down toward the pier when the ship was docked. All of the shops offer a 35% discount (not a true discount but a "sales ploy" to make you think you are getting a discount. Negotiation is the word to the wise shopper here. Make sure that you know the price of the item you want to buy (at home) and have a firm price of what you want to pay. The braclet my wife wanted started around $8500 and with patience and negotiation we were able to purchaes it for $3000 (duty free). This braclet has been apraised for $4200. I was also looking for a Movado watch (specific model) which started here for around $750 dollars and could only get the price down to $420 (I had a friend that was there a few weeks prior and bought it for $350) so I passed on that item.

I suggest that if you have never shopped at any of these islands you should attend the shopping program that is offered on the ship. There is some very good information provided and some additional discounts offered to DCL crusiers.

Another piece of advice...Try to use a credit card so that you get the "correct" exchange rate and check your credit card receipt as you may (like we did) negotiate the price in dollars but the store will charge in pesos. When we received our statement we noticed that the price came out to $3056 rather than $3000. American Express took care of the overcharge without issue.

We had a very successful day of shopping. Happy hunting for those looking for a bargain!

JanDave
03-22-2005, 06:15 PM
I agree with Bob that you need to negotiate or you aren't getting a "deal". Bob: Have you joined the 9/3/05 cruise thread yet?

Jan

Drcell01
03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Yes I have. MY DW, DD, and myself check it everyday.

See ya on the ship...just look for the guy wearing the loaded Disney pin Vest!

glindamood
03-22-2005, 07:22 PM
We have sailed the Eastern route 4 times and I have several peices from Gemsland in St. Maarten and one mystic topaz bracelet from St. Thomas but I can not remember the store. I agree with the previous posters - St. Maartin has the best prices.

power_alaska
03-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Have had most fun & best deals in St. Maarten when getting jewelry for my wife. As stated above NEGOTIATE - cruise the merchandise in a number of stores isolating your candidates pieces and then go back for the "targets".. NEGOTIATE and if necessary, play "good guy-bad guy" with your spouse ...
My wife walked out on me to "go buy the other piece down the street" ... she never made it to the door. VERY nice tanzanite ring ... I would have paid MORE for it than she ended paying.... Don't be afraid to walk away ... there are plenty of nice pieces. And finally, yes use an American Express card or other credit card - you will get the right exchange rate. Had used it in Mexico and the charge did not go thru until the following week - rates were even better :cool1:

goofydadeo
03-22-2005, 08:32 PM
St. Maarten is by far the best. For outstanding service and selection go to Majesty Jewelers. We have purchased from them 3 times and have been 110% satisfied with the price and quality. They also have a web site in case you want to check them out before you visit:

Majesty Jewelers Web Site (http://www.majestyjewelers.com/)

My DW loves Kabana and they make fantastic deals on that line, plus you do not have to pay duty since it is made in the US. They have the most beautiful tanzanite selection as well.