PDA

View Full Version : Money on Islands

marv
03-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi first cruise so this may seem a silly Q what is the currancy used on Nassu. I read on a previouse post that no cash is handled on the ship. I will be taking credit cards for light use. We dont want to run up bills on credit cards so am i able to use travel cheques on the ship as this is what we will use for are whole stay in America as we are in a villa before the cruise.

Lloyd Dobler
03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
The official currency of the Bahamas is the Bahamian dollar, which is equal in value to the US dollar. You can use either while in Nassau, with no need to exchange money once you go ashore.

On the ship, as you've said, everything is handled via your stateroom account, which must be secured with a credit card. However, you can visit the Guest Services desk each day to check your balance and pay part of it off. I believe you can use traveller's checks to do so. Your credit card is not charged until the balance on your stateroom account reaches about $400, so if you pay your balance off each day, you shouldn't incur any credit card charges.

marv
03-22-2005, 11:30 AM
thanks for that lloyd dobler

CrunchyMountainMama
03-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Thank you for posting this, I was wondering the same. :)

DenverVal
03-23-2005, 12:20 AM
You may get your change back in Bahamian money though, so take small change. The post office on CC didn't give back US change when we were there. Bring change for that. Postage for the oversize disney postcard was 0.37.

briarroseALS
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
The biggest thing that I learned from going to Nassau was that the locals do NOT give you change. If you buy something for $6.00 and all you have is a $10.00 bill then you will be out $4.00...... :crazy:

QueenTriton
03-23-2005, 12:30 PM
If you want some Bahamian coins (for kids' collections) what is the best way to get some? Buy stamps at CC and get change or is their a way to get a small amount in Nassau?