PDA

View Full Version : Life boat drill/sm. kids

LeslieG
03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Haven't been on a cruise in many years, but I remember putting a life vest on and going up on deck for the lifeboat drill. What about small children? Are there special vests for them?

HooKooDooKu
03-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I seem to recall seeing "child" size vests. They are the same thing as the adults, just a little bit smaller. And for infants, they provide some sort of special floatation device for them. It comes in a sealed pouch of sorts and isn't openned execpt in the event of a real emergency. I don't know at what age they go from the special infant device to the regular child vest.

Rence
03-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I believe that DCL will have the right number and sizes of vests in your stateroom. That is one of many reasons why DCL gets complete information on all passengers (ages etc.)

I've only sailed as two adults and we always have two and only two adult vests in our cabin. But my sister with two small children, had one adult and two child vests.

If you don't have the correct vests in your cabin, notify your cabin steward and it will get corrected.

timnca
03-22-2005, 11:00 AM
They have adult, kid, and toddler vest for sure. We had the correct number and sizes(based on ages) when we arrived to our cabin. I did hear someone saying their vest didnt fit correctly and they gave them a different one on deck. Adult and kids are basically the same. The toddler one looked very much like a boating vest and appeared very secure. Cant comment on the infant size but for toddler, kids and adults you have no worries.

lazarru
03-22-2005, 11:16 AM
If they don't have the right size if your room when you go up they will note it down and ensure you get them delivered that night. We had 4 adult vests in our room, our kids 3 &5 were almost the same size as the vests. I think we had 12 CMs tell us to make sure we got them the right size. By the time we came back from dinner the issue was fixed

virginiamama
03-22-2005, 11:40 AM
If you've got a really little one - be sure to get a picture of them with the vest on. It is so cute, sortof a suit with hat attached. I don't think they require the babies to wear them to the drill because they would make them too hot. You just bring it with you. Ours was not in our room when we went to the drill, so our lifeboat captain (Prince Charming from Disney Dreams :love: ) made a note of it and our room steward brought the vest before dinner. As a matter of fact, I thought it was DH knocking on the door, so I leaned out of the split bathroom with just a towel on to answer the door :crazy: Yikes! You can bet I made sure who was on the other side of that door before I opened it after that!

HooKooDooKu
03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
I don't think they require the babies to wear them to the drill because they would make them too hot.

Infants don't wear their floatation device to drill because it's contained in a sealed package. You have to rip open the package to gain access to it, so they don't want you to open it unless there is really an emergency.

From what I recall based on the images on the package, infant floatation devices are more like a floating basket compared to the "collar" device the bigger kids and adults wear.

luvsTink
03-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Also, I had neglected to talk to my girls about the drill and they became a bit scared. You may want to tell them about it so they are prepared.

Anne