PDA

View Full Version : When did you last pay rack rate for a WDW hotel?

Ned Land
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
For us, the last time we paid full price for a Disney room was Fall 1999. It was the Fall Fantasy package so it was discounted a little. We have taken 5 trips since and always had a code.

Buzz2001
03-11-2005, 08:28 AM
To put it another way, this is the first time I've had to pay rack rates because of the time of year we are going.

EsmeraldaX
03-11-2005, 08:30 AM
I'd say probably in 2002. That was before I learned about the wonderful world of codes... ;) It was over July 4th weekend.

disneyjunkie
03-11-2005, 08:37 AM
I've never paid rack rate for a room.

My first trip in 2001 I was able to use a code for All Star Sports. Last year I used a code for Pop Century. Next month I'm using AAA for PC and in October I'm using AAA for POFQ.

klmall
03-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Didn't have much of a choice given that we found out about our trip after the last codes expired and we don't have APs or AAA.

But due to a snafu on our last trip Disney has given us a special number to call 10 days before we go so that they "can make our trip memorable". We have no clue what they will do given the crowded resorts and parks but we're hoping!!!!!!

disneyjunkie
03-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Oh no, I think we're going to get in trouble for adding to the cluster of code/discount threads on the resort board. :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Fokus17
03-11-2005, 08:44 AM
We havnt payed rack in over ten years. We go at least twice a year and always have either an AP code or FL resident.

skiwee1
03-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Last May I paid rackrate for a GV room at the Poly for 12 nights. I had always paid rack rate for years anyway til I saw a code in the newspaper 6 years ago. I never knew Disney had codes so we always paid whatever it took.

SuBeat
03-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Never. First trip had a general public code, next 2 trips AP. Our next trip is discounted with a postcard.

northern michigan
03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanksgiving 2003 at the Coronado!

rcraw45425
03-11-2005, 09:00 AM
last Spring. Would've paid it in June last year too but they released GA residents codes. I found this board in August and it's been "discount Disney" ever since! Of course with discount comes more frequent trips ;)

HM
03-11-2005, 09:04 AM
I haven't ever paid rack either. I did some research before my first trip in 1999 and paid a AAA rate at ASMu for that first trip. Same for our next trip to CBR/WL. After that, I've used some type of code or discount other than AAA for our other six trips.
-HM

seashoreCM
03-11-2005, 09:09 AM
In 1994 I booked All Star Sports at rack rate, first time at a Disney resort, never heard of discounts or codes.

The confirmation came for Port Orleans Riverside for the same $59. summer rate. Apparently 'Sports was not finished on time and apparently the part that was open was overbooked. There being no other Value resorts, the only place to bump guests was up. They must have started upgrading guests starting with those who paid rack rate.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

ciera321
03-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks to the DIS, not since 1999 at CSR... :worship: I could kick myself for all the times we paid rack - I had no idea Disney offered discounts. :rolleyes2

luvthatduck
03-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Last May I paid rackrate for a GV room at the Poly for 12 nights.

Bill Gates, is that you?

ciera321
03-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Bill Gates, is that you?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

skiwee1
03-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Bill Gates, is that you?

Not quite! I just love the Poly. I'd do it again if it meant staying where I wanted.

DisneyWisher
03-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Last time we paid rack rate was December 14, 2003, the grand opening of Pop and it was so worth it. Since only 25% of the hotel was running we got great service. Some of the time we were the only ones on the bus. Loved that. Now when we stay there we tend to take the car except to MK.

Mady/Sophiemom
03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
We have never paid rack before, but only have the AAA discount in April. Close to rack rate. We wanted the dining plan so, that was really our only option. Kept hoping for a postcard, or E-mail, but Oh Well-- WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY!!!!!!

bridgettesmom
03-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Last time I paid rack rate was last March. It was a last minute decision, we were going to Tampa to visit my aunt and decided to leave 2 days earlier. I made a reservation at a Country Inn for $60 a night. On the morning before heading to the airport, DH made a comment that I did not seem excited about going to Orlando. I told him I wasn't happy with staying at the Country Inn and he asked me what would make happy and I told him that I'd rather stay at Disney. He told me to just do what makes me happy, I thought about it on the way to Orlando and as soon as we landed I called CRO and made a reservation at Pop Century. We had a great time and It was the best $122 that I ever spent!! :cool1:

chobie
03-11-2005, 11:04 AM
On my DS 7th birthday last year I paid rack for Pop so he could go to E-night the night of his birthday. Afte his party we drove up to Orlando, checked in and bought our e-night tickets and got to MK just in time. That was the first time we had stayed on site in years and the first time we were paying, and I've been hooked on on-sight ever since.

sgause
03-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Dec 26-Dec 31 2004 - absolutely had to get away and couldn't go early to take advantage of the available codes. It was painful to pay rack rate at the most expensive time of the year - but it was worth it. :crazy:

liznboys
03-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure we must have paid rack rate on our honeymoon-May 1998 at Dixie Landings (POR). I don't remember us looking for deals or anything, we just booked and didn't think anymore about it. I wonder how much we paid? Ok, now my interest is up and I have to go dig through my stuff and find out. LOL

tinkerbell81284
03-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Never so far! :) And don't plan on it anytime soon! :)

Alexander
03-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Never!

DVC-Don
03-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Last time we paid rack? January 1999 - Contemporary 2 tower rooms - 10 days. Ouch. Then I found Disney type internet boards.

CamColt
03-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Great thread!

The last time we paid rack rate was Oct 2000, when we did the land/sea package. Yes, we did it as a package! :earseek:
Of course I found these boards right before the trip, so I didnt know any better before then. Since finding these boards I havent had to pay rack rate for any resort stays...including stays over Christmas. :goodvibes

TigrLvsPooh
03-11-2005, 12:59 PM
We paid rack rate at the BWI in May of 1998 because we didn't know any better. ;) Since then we have always used a code or rented DVC points. :)

debbiedoo
03-11-2005, 01:03 PM
rack rate--what is that--NEVER!! I have always used a discount or used my DVC points

Tinkaroo
03-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I never have. Of those trips I've paid for myself, we stayed on a package deal (some sort of summer "hot savings" promo) in 2001 at CBR. I think we paid less than $900 for 5 nights and UPH's for 2 adults, plus a couple of freebies - pins, etc. In 2003, I used SPG points and stayed at the Swan.

Now, for April, we've got AP rates for our entire stay - yea! My goal in life - NEVER PAY FULL PRICE!!!!

Mickey Fliers
03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Nov. 2004 - WL concierge. We stayed 3 nights at YC concierge on a military rate (40% off making it $250/night :cool1: ) then transferred to WL. The three days at WL were over Veteran's Day and it was all blacked out. By the time I figured out that I wasn't going to get a discount for those 3 days, it was too late to change. Either way, we had a great time.

DisKim
03-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I stayed at POR over Easter break in the spring of 2002. I did not know about the DIS or codes and paid the holiday rate of $180 per night :earseek:

lclark0621
03-11-2005, 02:37 PM
The last time I paid rack rate was probably 1996. It was the first time I went "as a grown up" & paid for the trip myself (with DH, then DF). I had been to Disney SO many times, but never paid for the trip myself since they were all family trips when I was a minor.

The first time DH & I went we paid rack rate, but never again. Ever since then we have always found a code or a discount or something. We also stopped going in the summer, it is to hot, to crowded & to expensive.

cra-z-4-dizney
03-11-2005, 02:42 PM
WOW, I can honestly say thanks to that wonderful pixie dust, I have never paid rack rate. I have always enjoyed a annual pass code or general public code. Thanks Disney!!!!

scrump
03-11-2005, 02:47 PM
We've never paid rack for a Disney hotel. We were always offsite before there was some special going on, and from there we were hooked!

Reflection
03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
I have not paid, and do not ever plan on paying, rack rates for a Disney hotel or any other hotel. For me, if it becomes an issue of paying rack rate for WDW or staying elsewhere, then we will stay offsite.

dznyntnh
03-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Never!!! Always at least get AAA (or 'Magic Kingdom Club' or 'Disney Club' discounts...gee, I miss those :rolleyes: ).

ctrezek
03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I bought a package in December, first it was at a discount rated room only at $254 a nite for the Poly,
When I called back a couple days later to inquire about the Silver Package, it sounded like a good deal. She said I could always remove it. So I added it.

I'm not sure if my discount from the room only is in there or not. Now the discount rates for AA passhlders makes it the $254 price, but I'm confused how it is all affected with the silver package.

Anybody know for sure how that works?
I dont know if I should be calling and appling the code or not?
I'd have to pay for the annual passolder too, which I'm not.

DisneyPhD
03-11-2005, 04:00 PM
It must of been March of 2000, at Dixi Landings. I think the prices was up to 159 a night. When we started staying at Mods in 1996 it was 89 a night, it kept going up.

Dec 2001 when our 1st born was 9 months old we got a code for Poly for 189 a night. We thought that was great.

After that we bought DVC so we haven't paid rack rates, but have been looking at all the codes. We did stay one night at AKL for 129 a night in Aug 2003 at AP rates.

We are staying at POR for 77 a night in May. That is like half what we paid last time we stayed there 5 years ago! I love codes. (and the internet.)

crazyboutWDW
03-11-2005, 04:01 PM
our very first trip in 2001, that was before we knew about discount codes and the tricks to getting cheaper rates. We were rookies

keishashadow
03-11-2005, 04:24 PM
If you want to use the MYW Dining Plan, plan on paying full rack rate. I hated to pay the increased amount but feel we came out ahead.

luvthatduck
03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Not quite! I just love the Poly. I'd do it again if it meant staying where I wanted.

2 questions:

1. Are they hiring where you work?
2. If you don't work, are you single?

:teeth: j/k

iloverags2
03-11-2005, 05:18 PM
First, last, and only time we paid rack rate was the first time I paid for a room at Disney. July 1998. Had no clue about codes then, and we stayed at BC. Ugh!

magsmom
03-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Never. Prior to knowing about codes at Disney we stayed offsite. Now it is either AP, AAA, (if we have to - but never had) or DVC.

Actually for our upcoming June stay we are using a PIN (that we feel very lucky to have received)!

Tiggerlover91
03-11-2005, 07:49 PM
On our last trip in 2001. I had discoverd the DIS about 3 months before leaving for Disney, but was clueless to codes. I had booked with Dreams Unlimited and did what was then called the Discovery Magic Package. If I remember correctly, DH and I paid about $99 a night for our room at Allstar Music.

llij
03-11-2005, 09:34 PM
One night at the WL is Oct. of 2003. The sad thing is that we are AAA members and I never even bothered to ask about applying it (I tacked a night onto our Fairytale Package.) Also, I had been frequenting these boards for at least a year, but I was still clueless about the codes. Sometimes I wonder about myself.... :teeth: :earboy2:

DMRick
03-11-2005, 09:44 PM
When we left Disney in Jan, 2000 to stay at the Nikki because we were going to go to Sea World and Universal. I called back at 11 at night to beg them to take us back, after waiting for over an hour for housekeeping to come clean the blood off the shower wall, clean the coffee pot from the previous client, and change the sheets that had pubic hair on them at the Nikki (should have headed that big sign on the way in, that said housekeeper wanted). They didn't show up after a couple phone calls, and even though I had a broken foot and it was hard to get around, we were out of there. Disney Values were all totally full (and it wasn't even a holiday), but told us if we didn't mind waiting until housekeeping cleaned, they would they would give us a room from someone who checked out that night. We paid the full price, even thought the week before we had used a code.
Our first codes started the year that CBR was built..anyone know what year that was?

Huey,Dewey&LouiesMom
03-12-2005, 08:15 AM
We paid rack rates in 2003, during Easter week when they said I couldn't use AAA for a discount that week. :confused3

dgaston
03-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Our first trip in 1988 was a package with Delta Dreams -- stayed in the Fort Wilderness Homes. Then we camped (probably at rack rate) for a few visits and for Christmas 98 stayed at Dixie Landings at rack rate. That was before my introduction to the internet, but at least I was asking about AAA and Magic Kingdom discounts -- none were available for our stay. Since then I know we haven't paid rack rate for any of our visits.

caribear
03-12-2005, 10:17 AM
To be exact, March 17, 2001...the day DH and I got married :love2: We stayed at POR-Riverside in a king waterview room for $199/night before we left for our cruise. I can remember the day like it was yesterday....I was still in my wedding gown and as we waited for a golf cart to bring us to our room a little girl said, "Look Mommy! There's a princess!" princess: I can also remember running to the foodcourt and having the best cheesburger and fries of my life...as we hadn't really touched our food during the wedding reception :p

Nolcrest
03-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Last paid rack rate in Nov. 1994. Stayed at the Wilderness Lodge - it was only 6 months old then. We paid 163.90 (tax included) per night for a six night stay in a standard view room. Didn't know anything about codes then.

Shortly after that I joined the Magic Kingdom Club and have been receiving discounts one way or another ever since.

Finding discounts is half the fun. I would go to Disney even if I paid rack rate though. :earsgirl:

MargaretF
03-13-2005, 02:48 PM
10 trips in 12 years and never paid rack rate. 1st trip in 1992 was a package but had 20% off throught the now defunct Magic Kingdom Club. This was before DIS and the Internet but a guy I worked with knew all the angles for getting a reduced rate. I'd call and ask about moderates and then ask if there was anything else available, I'd usually get great "upsell" rates for the deluxes. Took advantage of rates at WL and AKL right after they opened and WDW was trying to fill the rooms and get people in. I usually call and then choose my hotel based on price and availablity. I have used Magic Kingdom Club discounts, "upsells", special offers, AP rates, codes and PIN numbers. It's been fascinating watching how the discounting structure and process has evolved over the past few years. What I save on the room, we spend on food and extras.

cobbler
03-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Never for me either. Growing up I never paid for the room ;)
But when I started taking my own trips as an adult:
2000 Disney club discount
2001 Disney club discount
2003 Postcard
2004 AP
2005 so far AAA, maybe AP

cobbler
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Our first codes started the year that CBR was built..anyone know what year that was?

I think it was built in '88