PDA

View Full Version : friend leaving--update, he left today

Blueeyes101817
03-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I just found out yesterday that a good friend of our family is getting deployed to Iraq on april 1...he graduated with me in 2003 and is my brothers best friend, so i am pretty close with him..my 18 year old brother is so upset, they hang out every weekend--as of now, he will be gone 6 months, and is planning on going on vacation with us in january--something to look forward to

Im kind of confused on something ...i dont know alot of military stuff, so sorry if this is stupid.
He is in the airforce....he wanst planning on going over till may..they told him yesterady he is going in a month but with the army...they can just switch over like that ? im confused..lol

TheGottis
03-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Sounds like his job (whatever that may be) - entails supporting the Army. He won't actually be crossing over to the Army, just kind of sharing resources/personel. It's quite common...

BibbidiBobbidiBOO
03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
My Dh, an Army reserve LTC is in Iraq and has an AF Major and Navy Lt who work for him. Of course they only had 6 months whereas Dh has 12. There are AF at his camp too that are supporting some army operations. The army is short on deployable soldiers right now, other branches are being utilized where possible. I did read in Army Times a few months back about some airmen who WERE converting to army. Can't remember the details though.

PrincessaC
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Yep, this is very common. DH is in AF and there are army men in his unit. We also had a lot of army men from Ft.Benning come over to our base (which is an Air Force Base) to help watch our gates because a lot of our Air Force men and women were deployed. :flower:

Blueeyes101817
03-02-2005, 08:27 PM
thanks guys--sorry! i dont really know any of this military stuff :)

Blueeyes101817
03-28-2005, 02:26 PM
well steve left this morning...he flies to colorado for a month and then hes off to iraq--as of now, he should be home november...

thanks again

sheridee32
04-22-2005, 11:01 PM
My hubby was in reserves and got activated in 03 to Bagram Air Base in Afghanastn they were there to take care of the run way, He was in an engineer unit so alot of times he did his summer camp deployments on air force projects, they work hand in hand remember the military can do what ever they want. Just write & e-mail him alot send care packages and pray alot that is all you can do we were in reerves 22 years and it does finally cme to an end, and you will realize how proud you are of these service men once you know someone over there it is alot different then. Just support him & his family because these guys & girls that are in the armed forces love the job they do even though we dont understand why. Just let them know you care. ::MinnieMo