PDA

View Full Version : JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

kimmar067
02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
My heart will always belong to my fave - THE WL - , but her 'baby brother', the AKL, sure is a CLOSE 2nd!! Although we experienced some difficulties with check-in [which was smoothed out right away!], our vacation was filled with memories to last a LIFETIME!!! Everything was superb:
1) the room[s]
2) the service
3) the pool
4) concierge
5) the Sunrise Safari
6) THE ANIMALS!!!

[see page 3 for pix, page 8 for short film]

Click here for a link to AKL slideshow:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/aklss.htm

rgf207
02-27-2005, 08:56 PM
I'll be at AKL March 4 - 11. Can I ask what problems you experienced at checkin? Maybe so I can be better prepared if it happens. Also, what type of room did you have and how did you like it. How was the bus transportation?

Any info you can give would be great. Thanks and I'm glad you had a great stay.

kimmar067
02-27-2005, 09:16 PM
...VERY late (about 11:40PM) and were scheduled to RE-check in the next morning [into concierge]. A few days earlier, I had spoken to Don in concierge requesting to just check into a concierge room when we arrived, so that we wouldn't have to switch rooms, which he agreed to [Don was EXTREMELY accomodating, and helpful in every way possible!] Well, there was a glitch in their system, because, when we went to the registration desk [after waiting on line for about 10 minutes!] we were told to go BACK outside by the "Valet" and they'd have our paperwork and keys THERE. However, when we went back outside, the young lady there told us to go INSIDE, and that she DIDN'T have any of our paperwork or keys!! I explained that I had talked to Don in concierge 2 days prior, and suddenly I was taken care of. So, I don't think it was really a fault of any particular CM, but, rather, a misunderstanding, which was aggravated by the fact that we'd had a LONG day [a 2-hour drive to Atlantic City, NJ, followed by a 2 hour wait at ACY airport] and we were bushed!

We actually had TWO rooms - one, while staying concierge, and another for the rest of our stay (we had the 2nd room, because we originally were scheduled to check into Ft W cabins on Tuesday, but we cancelled those and decided to stay at AKL for the remainder of our trip!) Our first room was #5421, which was only 5 or 6 rooms from the lobby[to the right], overlooking Arusha Rock. The other room was #5381, which was to the left of the lobby; it was almost ALL THE WAY at the end of the hall (Whew, what a walk after a day at a park!) but it was a deluxe savannah view room, and the views for BOTH rooms were amazing!!

Finally, the buses were GREAT! We never waited more than about 10 minutes for any bus. The only time we had a problem was when we were very late for our ressies to Le Cellier, we boarded the "Epcot" bus, but it headed for AK FIRST, which caught all of the Epcot-bound guests off-guard!

hbridges
02-27-2005, 11:18 PM
We are going in 2 weeks! Can't wait. How late is Mara open? Glad you had a great time!

bjakmom
02-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Glad you had a wonderful trip !!! Were there many animals out on the savannah? When I was there in early Feb there were very few animals out - I was only there for two days and the weather had been cold - on our stay before there were lots of animals , so I'm wondering if the lack of animals was temporary and perhaps due to the cold weather.

wildernesslodgelover
02-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I just wanted to say I agree with you 100%...The WL is still #1 in my book, but AKL runs a close second! I think if AKL was more centrally located I would be torn as to which resort to stay at. I think the restaurants...including mara...are the best on WDW property. And I love that pool!

Glad you had a good time!

kimmar067
02-28-2005, 09:12 AM
....Mara was open till' 11:30PM.

Harambe
02-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Can you tell me what hour the storytelling took place? The one out by the fire pit. And was it held nightly? THANKS!

musicmom3
02-28-2005, 12:25 PM
We left AKL on 2/25 and I have to agree, it was a great stay after we got through our own personal check-in mixup! Perhaps there was some check-in virus last week! We were first assigned a smoking room facing Arusha Savannah (we can't tolerate the smell, even when the room is "refreshed," and I had communicated that several times both before and during registration), so we went back down and were offered a 2nd floor room in the bump-out building facing Sunset Savannah. I didn't really want to be there, so I kept politely asking for Arusha, and that's where we finally ended up, on Kudu Trail, with views of zebras, giraffes, elands, and wildebeasts galore. We also had a marching band of peahens who would strut by at 7:00 AM making a glorious racket. Almost as good as a Mickey wake-up call!

kimmar067
02-28-2005, 12:27 PM
...KNOW those peahens! :teeth:

kimmar067
02-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Can you tell me what hour the storytelling took place? The one out by the fire pit. And was it held nightly? THANKS!

....nightly, but I don't remember the time (I DO know that there was cookie-decorating at Boma at 1PM daily for the kids! -yum,yum- )

Robopig
02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
For 10 days, any photos you have to share???

kimmar067
02-28-2005, 12:36 PM
...pix of AKL, so I will try to get 'em posted ASAP!! :teeth:

musicmom3
02-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I highly recommend the culinary tour, which takes place at 4:00 on weekdays and 3:45 on weekends. It was mostly adults (and my two teens), and we got to hear all sorts of interesting info about African and Indian foods, and we also got to taste-test at Jiko and Boma. My 16-year-old daughter made friends with one of the chefs at Boma (she has dietary preferences that she happened to mention), and when we arrived for our PS that night, she happened to see him. What happened next was absolutely magical. He brought to our table a wok-style plate heaped with incredible food. He sat with us at the table, and then hustled back into the kitchen, only to return a few minutes later with fried oreos for all of us! I have come to the conclusion that there is no magic better than totally spontaneous, unexpected magic. Needless to say, we will be returning to Boma, not only for the wonderful food, but for the spirit of the chefs who work there.

ILUVDXL
02-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Can you guess?

kimmar067
02-28-2005, 03:08 PM
I highly recommend the culinary tour, which takes place at 4:00 on weekdays and 3:45 on weekends. It was mostly adults (and my two teens), and we got to hear all sorts of interesting info about African and Indian foods, and we also got to taste-test at Jiko and Boma. My 16-year-old daughter made friends with one of the chefs at Boma (she has dietary preferences that she happened to mention), and when we arrived for our PS that night, she happened to see him. What happened next was absolutely magical. He brought to our table a wok-style plate heaped with incredible food. He sat with us at the table, and then hustled back into the kitchen, only to return a few minutes later with fried oreos for all of us! I have come to the conclusion that there is no magic better than totally spontaneous, unexpected magic. Needless to say, we will be returning to Boma, not only for the wonderful food, but for the spirit of the chefs who work there.

...on Friday??? There was a table next to us near the back of the restaurant that had a huge wok-like contraption with skewered shrimp sticking out of it!

Also, Chef Mike came out to our table and introduced himself to us. My DH has Celiac Sprue [gluten/wheat intolerance], so Chef Mike walked us through the whole buffet area and explained what my DH could/couldn't eat. It was so AWESOME!!

musicmom3
03-01-2005, 09:00 AM
...on Friday??? There was a table next to us near the back of the restaurant that had a huge wok-like contraption with skewered shrimp sticking out of it!

Also, Chef Mike came out to our table and introduced himself to us. My DH has Celiac Sprue [gluten/wheat intolerance], so Chef Mike walked us through the whole buffet area and explained what my DH could/couldn't eat. It was so AWESOME!!

No, on Wednesday! But the wok thing did contain skewered shrimp, skewered pork satays, and some kind of yummy vegetable combination in sauce. MY DD does not eat beef, so this is how the whole thing started. The chef who performed our culinary magic was DJ (short for a really long name with LOTS of vowels).

kimmar067
03-01-2005, 02:27 PM
....I noticed is that they [the party in the table next to us] were quite loud and, obviously, having a great time! Also, they were seated at a non-typical table (it was shaped like a huge artist palette)!

kimmar067
03-01-2005, 02:31 PM
....St. Anthony, for answering my prayers! I thought I had left my digital camera in Atlantic City at the car show :guilty: , containing ALL of my WDW pix, but, apparently my wonderful DH found my camera!!!(more of that magical :wizard: pixie dust finding its way to our family! :teeth: )

luxfirsttrip
03-01-2005, 02:40 PM
How much time would you suggest spending at AKL versus the parks? We will be there in May for our first trip and I have heard that there are a lot of things to do. My triplet girls are 7. Other than the pool what else should we do while we are there?

kimmar067
03-01-2005, 02:48 PM
....you can 'win' an African bead, to make a necklace. There is story-telling by the fire pit at Arusha Rock, the children can decorate cookies at Boma at 1PM every day, there is a "treasure hunt" activity around the pool area in the afternoon, and other things, which you can find out when you check in. Unfortunately, we spent so much time at the parks, we really didn't get to enjoy all the amenities at AKL, as we would have liked. Oh well, there's always NEXT TIME..... :teeth: ![also: on the far side of the pool is a playground area. Besides, your kids will be entralled by all the animals, you may not have time to 'do' all the activities!]

musicmom3
03-01-2005, 02:59 PM
There is also flamingo feeding and floor-medallion rubbings and a horticultural session, and of course there is the hidden Mickey hunt. The activity board has lots of things posted. We were at AKL for six full days (excluding the two travel days). We did parks for five days, but on each day took at least a four-hour break back at the hotel to swim or do whatever. Of course the parks were open outrageously late, being President's week (MK was open to 3:00 AM one night with the extra evening hours), so the four-hour break was needed. By the time our resort day rolled around, I was sorry that I hadn't planned two resort days. AKL is such an awesome place! You will have a wonderful time!

Sparx
03-01-2005, 03:30 PM
How late does the Jiko stay open? We are going in july, and that is where we are staying.

KirstenJB
03-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I was at AKL last week also!! We had no problems at all. It was goregus and I think we woke up to Giraffes every morning. :) We ate at Boma's Monday night. It was amazing!! I loved the desserts. My family had a really nice room, it had a queen size bed and a bunk bed for me and my sister to share. We requested it when we checked in because my sister was sick. ;)

Kirsten

kimmar067
03-02-2005, 09:05 AM
...bunk beds in both our rooms [actually, it was a Deluxe room, because they had a couch in them!]

kimmar067
03-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm trying to post some pix of the AKL, but I am having trouble....mebbe I'll try asking the tecchies how to do it!

Goin4forty
03-02-2005, 01:29 PM
We will be staying in a Savannah view room at AKL from March 17th to 20th. We have never stayed here before, so I am not sure what to expect. We will be flying in around 11:30am and I realize we can't get into our room at that time, but hopefully we can check in. If I want a room fairly close to the food court, bus stop, ect., is there a particular area I want to ask for? In reading these boards, it sounds like AKL is not real spread out, which is great! Thanks for your help!! :)

musicmom3
03-02-2005, 01:47 PM
We were on Kudu Trail room 4325 facing the Arusha savannah. It was pretty far out there on the horseshoe shape, but it really didn't bother us, as the hallway and atriums that you pass through have art and displays and windows from which to see the animals. We were able to check out Sunset savannah (ostriches!) every time we traveled to our room, as well as Arusha. So if you find yourself in one of the far rooms, you might not mind. On the other hand, you might want to call and have your request added to your reservation and then note it again when you check in.

Goin4forty
03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks Musicmom3!! I think we will be ok. My DD's are 8 and 11, so they can definitely handle the walk. I have gotten so many great ideas from these boards. Thanks again! :flower:

kimmar067
03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
....musicmom3 said! :teeth: Yes, I agree, the resort itself isn't as spread out as, say CBR, which is REALLY HUGE! Our first room was 5421, which was 5 rooms off the lobby [to the right]. Our 2nd room was further down on the Kudu Trail (Rm 5381). Although it had awesome views and was quite comfortable, it was all the way at the end of the hall, tiring after a long day in the parks!

Goin4forty
03-02-2005, 03:31 PM
The walk can't be as bad as the one we had at AS-Music 7 years ago. Our room that trip was as far away as you could possibly get from everything! With a 4 year old, that was NOT good. I lost 5 lbs. on that trip! I love to walk, but not that much! Do you think I should call AKL and request a certain section? My thought is that someone with small children should be closer and we could be a little far away. At least we have a decent room reserved on the Wonder! :sunny: Praying for good weather in 2 weeks!!

dizneykid
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM

Hi,

Do you have to be staying at AKL to take the culinary tour?

musicmom3
03-02-2005, 08:56 PM
When we took the culinary tour, we were not asked if we were resort guests. All the activities hosted by AKL are on a bulletin board to the left of the registration area.

kimmar067
03-03-2005, 12:37 PM
...post somes pix...here goes....

Photo #1:
a view of Jiko [glass windows to left] as you first walk out of AKL
Photo #2:
pool area with AKL in background
(more below...)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/kimmar067/AKL.jpg

poohluvrs
03-03-2005, 01:28 PM
We are planning a trip w/ 2 year old twins (yikes)! and thought the AKL would be entertaining for them on days we may not make it to a park, could you give any insight to staying there w/ 2 toddlers? as far as what area/room we should request (want Savannah view - a great one :) - but also in an area we don't have a long walk to get to...and also if you recommend this resort over others for 2 year olds..thanks so much for any help !!!!

MAGICinMYHEART
03-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Had to hunt you down to find out about your trip. Sounds like a great time, love your photo's more please.

Beckie

kimmar067
03-03-2005, 03:50 PM
well, here's some more...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/kimmar067/AKL2.jpg

Photo #1:
AKL concierge lounge

Photo #2:
My DH and DS at the concierge lounge railing

campinggal
03-03-2005, 04:23 PM
:wave2: Hi Kimmar!

Sounds like you had a grand time!! Can't wait to hear more and see more pics!!

Kimberle
03-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Just beautiful!

The pool water looks green. Is it really green? I don't know if I'd want to swim in green water.....

wirki
03-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I love them. And as a fellow WL lover, I have to say I am intrigued. I might have to talk DH into staying there sometime. I think he might be easier to talk into it than my DD3. :earsgirl:
Can't wait to read more about your trip. :wizard:
Debbie

sters
03-03-2005, 04:46 PM
When we took the culinary tour, we were not asked if we were resort guests. All the activities hosted by AKL are on a bulletin board to the left of the registration area.

Is there anyplace online where I can check out what these activities are? I'm considering the AKL as a down day between legs of a trip and don't want to do the parks but want to keep the kids busy.

kimmar067
03-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Just beautiful!

The pool water looks green. Is it really green? I don't know if I'd want to swim in green water........crystal clear. It just looks green!

daannzzz
03-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Just beautiful!

The pool water looks green. Is it really green? I don't know if I'd want to swim in green water.....
The pool is painted a more muted color so as to "replicate" the animal's watering hole. It is suppose to look alittle "muddy".

Tinkerbelle739
03-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Kimmar!!

I am so glad to see you had a good time at the AKL. I would really like to try it after our Nov. trip. Our friends stayed there while we stayed at WL. I was really impressed with it. Jiko on the other hand...NOT! I loved the whole feel of the resort.

Thank you for mentioning the buses, DH will be happy to hear that!

kimmar067
03-03-2005, 10:30 PM
...more pix to enjoy!
Photo #1: picture-post card of Epcot!
Photo #2: My DH and DS walking under Spaceship Earth Photo #3: Entrance to MK
Photo #4: My DS and Dale in Tomorrowland
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/kimmar067/AKL5.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/kimmar067/AKL3.jpg

KirstenJB
03-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I got a couple good shots of the AKL from last week- most are just from our room though. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/duck_eh/Disney%20Trip/Day%202-%20Animal%20Kingdom/IMG_0772_0009.jpg
Giraffes from our Room 3560 I believe...;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/duck_eh/Disney%20Trip/IMG_1111_0347.jpg
Another Giraffe

and thats All I got on my camera- just mainly the giraffes and cute little piggy things. I have no idea what little savahanna we were looking out onto- i honestly didn't care. The point that I was at disney was more important. :D

Kirsten

kimmar067
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
...that looks like the Sunset Savannah!Amazin how different ours views were! (I was on the 5th floor - gotta post those pix soon!)

Nik's Mom
03-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Great pictures! AKL is just as breath-taking as WL. I'm secretly hoping for good codes to come out that will allow us to switch our POFQ ressies to AKL!
Darn you, codes! Come out, already!

#1hockeymom
03-04-2005, 05:35 AM
I miss home! Great pictures, both of you! The first picture of the pool area took me right back to our vacations! Great shot!

Disney5Mom
03-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Great Pictures.Wow! Thanks for the trip report.

lovingthemouse
03-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Kim- i love the pictures...thanks for sharing them. Caroline :teacher:

musicmom3
03-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Great pictures! Don't stop! More, More!

Nik's Mom
03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Kimmar,
I know you are a WL lover. That is our favorite resort too. Can you compare AKL? Were the rooms the same? Was the lobby as beautiful as WL?

kimmar067
03-04-2005, 12:36 PM
deluxe room, so it was just a bit larger, since it had a couch in it [that opened up into a bed - didn't use it, tho'!] Let's see is I can make a fair comparison:

1) lobby - both lobbies are awesome. With AKL, it seemed a bit more 'intimate' because: a) the different seating areas were more 'cozy'. What I mean by that is, the backs of the chairs/couches/seats were taller, so the sitting areas were more 'private', whereas, the WL furniture is more sparse and 'open', and, b) the WCC is the same level as the WL lobby, but Boma is actually 2 floors lower[you can view it from above when you go to the right side of the lobby. Tha brings another point to mind [about the ambiance]: there are so many exotic smells emanating from Boma - it is simply WONDERFUL!

2) pool - I felt that that the AKL pool is a little bit larger than WL, but the premise of the WL pool is that it begins at the brook in the lobby. The AKL pool is more 'spread out' to resmble a 'watering hole' as found in a savannah.

3) transportation - while many guests feel 'isolated' from the rest of WDW, I rather welcomed it! Although I certainly enjoyed the boat rides to/from MK at WL, there is no other mode of transportation except bus service [at AKL] However, with the exception of one incident, I found the buses to be prompt and abundant. The only negative thing I can say about WL buses, was the bus to DTD - it was HORRIBLE!! I also didn't care for the fact that WL buses are shared with Ft W.

4) service - we experienced nothing less than OUSTANDING service at both locations.

5) activities - one drawback to AKL is the absence of a lake, so the absence of water activities (which are PLENTIFUL at WL). To me the presence of animals more than made up for it!

ga9497
03-04-2005, 12:56 PM
...post somes pix...here goes....

I tried to go to the link listed but it is asking for a password

fam4jc
03-04-2005, 01:03 PM
What beautiful pics! The guys are pretty cute too :teeth: We will be at AKL for the last two nights of our trip and I am so excited! My girls don't know that we aren't staying the entire trip at the Pop.

Thanks for sharing :banana:

edjbiologist
03-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I am thinking of staying one night at AKL before heading the BCV. Is it not enough time to enjoy the resort?

Also are the things like the culinary tour free?

Where can I find details on the Sunrise Safari?

Thanks

kimmar067
03-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I am thinking of staying one night at AKL before heading the BCV. Is it not enough time to enjoy the resort?

Definitely NOT!!!
Also are the things like the culinary tour free?
Yes, most, if not all, of the activities are free!

Where can I find details on the Sunrise Safari?
Thanks

The Sunrise Safari is held on Tues and Sat mornings, but I believe it is being changed to Sun and Thurs mornings. You may only sign up if you are staying at AKL concierge and the cost is about $47.00/person, but SOOOO worth it! (you get a buffet breakfast at Tusker House afterwards)

kbkids
03-04-2005, 11:27 PM
We're planning another trip in September. Have been to WL before to eat but never stayed there. I'm torn between WL and AKL. I've never been to AKL at all, but honestly, the restaurants don't appeal to me - we're all very boring eaters. :) But, which resort do you think we would enjoy the most? We plan to spend ALOT of time at the resort on this trip. The kids never really get to enjoy the pools like they want to, and I want to do more of the non-park activities that Disney offers. We will visit MK one day, so I'm leaning towards WL just for that aspect. The kids (ages 8 and 4) would enjoy the animals, but I don't think it would excite them for too long. The proximity to the water really appeals to DH and I as we love boating. So, I'm leaning towards WL. I guess my main question is really about the pool. Which one do you think my kids would enjoy - yes, I mean - which one has the cooler slide? :)

Leota
03-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I would LOVE to look at your photo album, but as posted above, I was denied access without a password - Please post as many pix of AKL as you are willing to. I am celebrating my 40th there in April & can barely wait! I have seen a little of the lobby from visiting Boma & that's it....

I love the pix of the pool you posted. We are getting a poolview room.

Ladyhawke10
03-05-2005, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=kimmar067]deluxe room, so it was just a bit larger, since it had a couch in it [that opened up into a bed - didn't use it, tho'!] Let's see is I can make a fair comparison:

QUOTE]

Just to mention, we did not have a couch (or fold-out bed) in our deluxe room when we stayed in concierge. We were on the fifth floor and had a beautiful savannah room. The room was great (included a fridge, which we had not had on our previous regular savannah rooms) but there were only the two queen beds, a little table and two small sitting chairs...no couch for us!

kimmar067
03-05-2005, 05:27 PM
....Hmmmm, very interesting. I suppose it was because we had bunks???!?!?!

Leota ~
You will not be disappointed with AKL! And, as for the novelty of seeing the animals wearing off, I thought that would happen to us, but NO WAY!! We couldn't wait to go to our balcony to check out who was 'dropping by'!!

edjbiologist
03-05-2005, 05:51 PM
What is this code?

Does anyone know?

Are you calling AKL directly and asking?

How do you get....the code? LOL

Kimmar thanks for the previous info.

Thanks

Muffy
03-05-2005, 06:39 PM
What is this code?

Does anyone know?

Are you calling AKL directly and asking?

How do you get....the code? LOL

Kimmar thanks for the previous info.

Thanks

If you go to www.mousesavers.com you can see if codes are available for your dates.

AspiringCindy
03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Okay Kim...you convinced me! Now I just have to wait until a code comes out for Nov.(pre-cruise overnighter)! It seems like it would be a great place to just enjoy the pool and restaurants!

pixie08
03-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Thank you so much for the info and pics!! :sunny:
I recently decided to change from CSR to AKL..I was skeptical but now I know I made the right choice! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Goin4forty
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
I also want to thank you for the great pictures. We leave in 10 days for 3 nights at AKL. We have never stayed there and are looking forward to it. I am really getting excited!! :flower:

kimmar067
03-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Okay Kim...you convinced me! Now I just have to wait until a code comes out for Nov.(pre-cruise overnighter)! It seems like it would be a great place to just enjoy the pool and restaurants!
....don't say I didn't warn ya!! :teeth:

doodlebug
03-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Wow what a great thread!!! I have been contemplating taking 4 nights of our 10 from POFQ and either try AKL or WL and was leaning toward WL because it seems closer and easier to get to the parks but from the sounds of it AKL has great transportation and shouldn't be a concern. Am I right???? Also we have PS for several things at GF on days we will be at AKL is it hard to get to other hotels from there??

MrsJ Henry
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes Doodlebug , you are right. The AKL has great transportation. :cool1:
It is however a bit of a chore to get to any resort from another one that is not on the monorail (or boat)
You will have to take a transfer.
Others might be able to help you more with this.

doodlebug
03-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks MrsJ Henry.... I just called and I can get AKL Savannah view for $199.00 or Woodview $170.00 & Courtyard $192.00 at WL with AP in mid April (peak season).. Oh decisions, decisions!!

kimmar067
03-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks MrsJ Henry.... I just called and I can get AKL Savannah view for $199.00...

...may I ask, how did you get that price?? Did you use a code?? (we have friends that will be going in April and she was quoted $289/nite for std view).

Nik's Mom
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks MrsJ Henry.... I just called and I can get AKL Savannah view for $199.00 or Woodview $170.00 & Courtyard $192.00 at WL with AP in mid April (peak season).. Oh decisions, decisions!!

Wow! That is a great rate. How did you get that, if I may ask? I called yesterday and the best I could do was $288 a night for Savanah view with AAA discount. I'd love to get your rate. Was it a postcard rate?

musicmom3
03-08-2005, 09:37 AM
We got $179 for WL woods view for mid-April using BDP. The vacation begins on the last day of BDP, so we were given the code rate for the entire stay (which is short, but better than nothing!) :banana:

doodlebug
03-08-2005, 11:14 AM
...may I ask, how did you get that price?? Did you use a code?? (we have friends that will be going in April and she was quoted $289/nite for std view).

I am purchasing an AP and that is the discount they are having for Peak Season :cool1:

We are staying 10 nights at POFQ so it was a savings of over $600.00 by purchasing the AP and now even more if we decide to go 4 nights at AKL or WL

kimmar067
03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
...purchase your AP?? (and, how much did you pay??)

doodlebug
03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
...purchase your AP?? (and, how much did you pay??)

For the AP?? $395.00 and would have had to pay $230.00 for my 10 day hopper so for with the extra for the AP and the discount at POFQ I am still saving around $600.00 so it's worth it for me to buy and AP. Also I can use the AP to get discounts all over the resort for our 11 day stay :cool1:

kimmar067
03-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Excellent!! :banana:

doodlebug
03-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Excellent!! :banana:

My thoughts exactly!!! So can I ask you something since you loved AKL so much? Where should I request my Savannah View room?? :) We will have 2 kids (ages 4 & 7) and don't want to be too far away from the central part of the resort but want a good view to wake up too!!!

And would you pick AKL over WL for a party like ours? Don't want to have to worry about transportation taking sooooo long being way out at AKL..

racheltyler
03-08-2005, 12:22 PM
For anyone considering the pool view at AKL, I can't say enough about how wonderful it is. The view is breathtaking of the gorgeous pool area but our balcony still felt private enough with the tropical foliage and trees in front of it. Plus you get the best proximity to food court, pool (of course), animal lookouts, lobby, everything!! At night the pool is light at the bottom with lights that look like turtles and they pipe in music, so sit on your balcony with a drink and enjoy! The balconies are so large also! It was never noisy in our room as we found in other resorts we've been with a pool view. Just thought this may be of interest to someone!

doodlebug
03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
That is very good information.. And it sounds just beautiful!!

kimmar067
03-08-2005, 07:34 PM
We were on Zebra Trail first (Rm 5421). It was the last room to the right before the 'breakoff' to the next section of rooms. If you went just past our room and looked to the left, you could sorta see Arusha Rock, but if you looked out the window to the right, you would see the whole pool area. I agree, it is lovely at night, all lit up! However, I quite enjoyed the peaceful solitude of sitting on our balcony trying to make out an animal or two in the darkness!

pixie08
03-08-2005, 07:43 PM
I have seen people refering to the WL as a little nicer than AKL. I have visited both but never stayed at either. Personally I thought they seemed perfectly equal (personally i like AKL a little more but like I said I never stayed overnight) I was wondering what it is that makes WL nicer than AKL???

We have already booked AKL for august..but i was just wondering!! :goodvibes

kimmar067
03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I have seen people refering to the WL as a little nicer than AKL. I have visited both but never stayed at either. Personally I thought they seemed perfectly equal (personally i like AKL a little more but like I said I never stayed overnight) I was wondering what it is that makes WL nicer than AKL???

We have already booked AKL for august..but i was just wondering!! :goodvibes

....if you scroll halfway down page 4 of this thread, you'll see my 'comparison' post! :teeth: Also, I think work is almost underway for a refurb of the WL lobby. Personally, as much as I lOVE the WL, that particular resort is older than AKL, and the rooms are beginning to show their age!

Nik's Mom
03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
....if you scroll halfway down page 4 of this thread, you'll see my 'comparison' post! :teeth: Also, I think work is almost underway for a refurb of the WL lobby. Personally, as much as I lOVE the WL, that particular resort is older than AKL, and the rooms are beginning to show their age!

:guilty: I'm sad to hear that. WL is our favorite resort. Hopefully the refurb will transform it back to it's original shape.

pixie08
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanx kimmar067!!!! You have answered ALL of my questions...to me it seems as if it would really come down to a matter of personal preference in terms of theming. We are totally excited to be going to AKL and I hope I get to also try WL soon too!!!

PS- sorry I missed pg 4...so many replies to read!!!! You have really done a great job! :goodvibes

doodlebug
03-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Yes I think WL is getting a refurb as a friend of mine's dh just was hired to help with it so that is good... Your comparison was great!! Guess I will be calling back today to see if AKL still has rooms left and switch 4 of my POFQ nights over to there!! :cool1:

musicmom3
03-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Having recently returned from AKL, and having a return trip to WL planned for next month, I have to say that I am equally in love with both resorts. For me it is a matter of mood, if that makes any sense. While both are beautiful, and both seem peacefully detached from the hustle and bustle of WDW, you get different feelings from both. The most obvious mood-setters are the music (is it only my imagination or is the WL music louder and the AKL music subtler?). The water features/animals also set the mood in a big way. I suppose that is what great theming does! I don't seem to be describing this very well, but both are wonderful in that they anchor you in the place you are at and wipe your cares away!

kimmar067
03-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Having recently returned from AKL, and having a return trip to WL planned for next month, I have to say that I am equally in love with both resorts. For me it is a matter of mood, if that makes any sense. While both are beautiful, and both seem peacefully detached from the hustle and bustle of WDW, you get different feelings from both. The most obvious mood-setters are the music (is it only my imagination or is the WL music louder and the AKL music subtler?). The water features/animals also set the mood in a big way. I suppose that is what great theming does! I don't seem to be describing this very well, but both are wonderful in that they anchor you in the place you are at and wipe your cares away!

...well said! :teeth: Yes, I agree that the AKL background music is definitely subtler, not that the WL lobby music is blaring 'in yer face'!! Also, it seems 'louder' in the WL lobby because of WCC, which adds to its charm....

As for the refurb, I think that the idea is to put back the "luster" of the original WL; they're not changing anything!

Nik's Mom
03-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Kimmar067! Due in part to your pictures, we are now staying at AKL! I just booked a savanah room with the ap rate just released today! Can't wait to see the hotel! :flower:

kimmar067
03-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Glad to help! I am waiting for more paper to come [in the mail] from Sony, so I can print up some more pix and scan them onto the DIS! I think I have also convinced my DSis, AspiringCindy, to stay overnight just before her Disney cruise in Nov!

jecarter
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
FYI, I just booked a pool view for early December and got a AAA rate of $212 a night, the rate for a standard room was just $182.00. If general codes come out for that time of year it will be an added bonus. I am so excited to go! We are staying at ASMo for the first three nights so I think AKL sounds like a really relaxing way to end our trip! :flower:

doodlebug
03-09-2005, 02:42 PM
I just changed 4 of my nights at POFQ to AKL Savannah view for my trip that is just a month away :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: So 6 nights at POFQ and 4 at AKL and I'm a happy camper!!!

kimmar067
03-10-2005, 09:27 AM
....I'll do the :cool1: "Happy Dance" :banana: along with ya! :teeth:

Nik's Mom
03-10-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm dancing too, Doodlebug! :banana: :cool1: We'll be there 4/30-5/7!

kimmar067
03-10-2005, 11:50 AM
I answered your question on the other AKL thread....

TYTY
03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi,

New to this thread. DS and I are going to AKL in 12/06. We're so excited already we just can't wait. I know it's a long wait but reading all these threads keeps the magic alive. :wizard:

kimmar067
03-10-2005, 02:49 PM
.....it's OFFICIAL! We were at a retirement dinner last night, talking to friends who were also guests of WL, and my DH stated that AKL is now his ABSOLUTE FAVE resort at WDW!!

plutospup
03-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Kimmar I was waiting to hear your review of FW Cabins. Well, after reading this thread I'm now thinking of AKL for our Dec trip! Are all of the "deluxe rooms" concierge? The idea of having an extra couch sounds nice, but we don't necessarily need concierge. ...on the other hand if we have to have concierge we might have to "suffer" :teeth: with it!

Nik's Mom
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
I answered your question on the other AKL thread....

Thanks, Kimmar067. You rock! Hey, I just read your "don't want to be an american idiot" marque. Apparently, you really do rock. If memory serves me, that's the lyrics to a Green Day song. Rock on! :cool1:

kimmar067
03-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Kimmar067. You rock! Hey, I just read your "don't want to be an american idiot" marque. Apparently, you really do rock. If memory serves me, that's the lyrics to a Green Day song. Rock on! :cool1:

:teeth:

pluto'spup ~
We never even MADE IT OVER to Ft W!! Once we checked into AKL, we thought : "THIS is the place to stay!!" Thankfully, we were able to get a room and they transferred our deposit from Ft W and credited towards the AKL bill.... :teeth:

kimmar067
03-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I'll be posting some more pix on Monday!! :cool1:

DisneyPete
03-13-2005, 09:05 AM
I just wanted to say I agree with you 100%...The WL is still #1 in my book, but AKL runs a close second! I think if AKL was more centrally located I would be torn as to which resort to stay at. I think the restaurants...including mara...are the best on WDW property. And I love that pool!

Glad you had a good time!

Tell me more about the pool, please? I'm concerned that the slide will be kind of lame. I read that it is "small" and I was hoping for a lot more for my kids. I know that no pool compares to Stormalong, but was hoping that it might be a close second? Or, maybe third after the Poly? What do you pool experts out there have to say!!

racheltyler
03-13-2005, 10:12 AM
The pool slide is smaller and I believe has one curve to it. It was perfect for littler ones although adults were going down too. My DD-5 thought it was fast!! Obviously, you can't even compare this one like the one at SAB. I'm sure it's hard for Disney to have to make a pool slide all kids would enjoy because if it's too big the littler ones can't enjoy too!

sters
03-13-2005, 12:29 PM
The pool slide is smaller and I believe has one curve to it. It was perfect for littler ones although adults were going down too. My DD-5 thought it was fast!! Obviously, you can't even compare this one like the one at SAB. I'm sure it's hard for Disney to have to make a pool slide all kids would enjoy because if it's too big the littler ones can't enjoy too!

It sounds a bit like the one at POR. Has anyone tried out both of them? I thought the deluxes in general had bigger slides than the moderates. Anyone have a picture they could post?

kimmar067
03-13-2005, 06:42 PM
It sounds a bit like the one at POR. Has anyone tried out both of them? I thought the deluxes in general had bigger slides than the moderates. Anyone have a picture they could post?

....Uh, TOMORROW that is!

DKx3
03-14-2005, 09:04 PM
on your AKL room. I am considering the jump from value to deluxe and wondered what a standard room might be with a discount/code?

Nik's Mom
03-14-2005, 09:38 PM
on your AKL room. I am considering the jump from value to deluxe and wondered what a standard room might be with a discount/code?

They didn't have any standard rooms or pool rooms available for my dates (4/30-5/7), but I got a savanah room for $219 a night with ap rate. :teeth:

kimmar067
03-15-2005, 04:24 PM
...'dummy' when it comes to posting pix, but ya can link on here:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=740595&page=2

and scroll down to the bottom to see some pix of my DS getting his haircut at the Main St barbershop! :teeth:

#1hockeymom
03-15-2005, 06:03 PM
I love the picture of your son! He is the spitting image of our hockey coach's son! Sure you don't live in Michigan? :)

Ok, I've waited patiently.... where are my ankole? :) pretty please?

kimmar067
03-15-2005, 10:40 PM
...that pic for the 2n page of my WDW scrapbook that I am putting together! Either I will scan the whole page, or I can make another copy of that pic and scan that...okay :rolleyes: ??

kimmar067
03-16-2005, 08:56 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/kimmar067/ankole.gif

sters
03-19-2005, 04:23 PM
....Uh, TOMORROW that is!

Would love to see a picture of the pool slide? Anyone?

plutospup
03-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Check www.allearsnet.com . Look for AKL photos. There are several pics of the pool, and slide.

kimmar067
03-28-2005, 09:01 AM
...bumping!

DisneyMomx7
03-28-2005, 10:46 AM
I have a question on the deluxe rooms at AKL. Do both the savannah deluxe and pool view deluxe sleep 5? Thanks.

kimmar067
03-28-2005, 12:31 PM
....have a couch that opens up to accomodate the 5th person.... :) .

kimmar067
03-29-2005, 09:01 AM
...my latest WDW trip scrapbook!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/kimmar067/AKL13.gif

kimmar067
04-17-2005, 09:42 PM
...the "whet yer appetite" for AKL...
http://media.travel.discovery.com/convergence/familyvacations/videogallery/videogallery.html

(Click on the first pic in the middle of your screen...ENJOY!! :sunny: PS ~ you MIGHT have to "back click" to this page and try it again...sometimes you get an auto pop-up ad when you do it the first time!)

Nik's Mom
04-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Kimmar! I desperately need something to get me in the mood for our trip. My Father lost his battle with lung cancer almost 3 weeks ago, and it's so hard to get excited over our upcoming trip (but I'm trying). I know Dad would want us all to have a great time!
Thanks for the link! :)

kimmar067
04-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks, Kimmar! I desperately need something to get me in the mood for our trip. My Father lost his battle with lung cancer almost 3 weeks ago, and it's so hard to get excited over our upcoming trip (but I'm trying). I know Dad would want us all to have a great time!
....prayers and HUGS go out to you and your DFam :guilty: ...so glad I could put a ray of :sunny: into your life, if only briefly :rolleyes: )

Nik's Mom
04-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Thank you! :grouphug:

brunette8706
04-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Is it possible to get an upgrade from Standard to Pool or Savanah? We will be traveling April 47 - May 3. I think that's slow season.

Thanks!

Great Pictures everyone!

brunette

ILoveWDW2003
04-18-2005, 07:56 AM
We will be traveling April 47 - May 3. I think that's slow season. You may want to adjust your expectations a bit - look around for some of the other end of April, beginning of May threads on crowds....

kimmar067
04-18-2005, 12:28 PM
While it MAY be likely that you will possibly get an upgrade, don't count on one. If I were you, I'd stay with the std room and see what they give you when you check-in. If you are not happy with your room [ask to show you the room location on an AKL map] ask if a complimentary request is available. If not, ask what they could offer you for an upgrade! :rolleyes: Good luck! (if you've never visited AKL, you are in for a REAL TREAT!)

brunette8706
04-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Never been to the AKL! I can't wait to go! We only paid $139 a nite (annual pass holder rate)!

It really looks like a nice hotel.

brunette

04-18-2005, 09:04 PM

my thoughts and prayers go out to you. :grouphug:

Nik's Mom
04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Thank you. :grouphug:

TammyA
04-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of the AKL info. Only one more month until stay at AKL for the first time. Boma is one of our favorite restaurants. It's going to be so cool to have dinner there and "walk home"! :teeth:

kimmar067
04-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Never been to the AKL! I can't wait to go! We only paid $139 a nite (annual pass holder rate)!

It really looks like a nice hotel.

brunette

...that's an AWESOME rate!!

TammyA ~
I KNOW what you mean :teeth: !

kimmar067
04-20-2005, 09:25 AM
...again! :flower:

kimmar067
05-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Wow, girl, I just noticed that you are doin' the "SINGLE-DIGIT DANCE"... :banana: :cool1: :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :banana: :bounce: :cool1: :cheer2: WOOHOO!!!!

kimmar067
05-25-2005, 09:14 AM
....BUMPING for Laura!

Minderbinder5
05-25-2005, 10:22 AM
I rarely read an entire thread (especially one this long) from beginning to end, but this one is great! Thank you all for posting such wonderful information! And the photos are always fun to look at to get me in the mood for our first trip to WDW! :cool1:

I just switched from WL to AKL last week, but because of the expense, I have a standard room right now (that means no animals from my balcony). I realize most will say this is a waste of a great resort stay, but I'm hoping for an AP rate that will allow me to jump to a savannah view. Anyway, I've heard that even if you stay in a room with a view of the parking lot, there are still lots of opportunities to view the animals. How is the viewing from the hallway observation points and the main rock in back of the hotel? Will I still get to experience the magic of AKL permenant residents?

:earsboy:

kimmar067
05-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I couldn't get over how many times I stopped "between buildings" to take a peek at its 'residents'! The hallways that 'connect' each building have windowed walls with benches, so you can just sit, relax, and enjoy the view! Also, on the far side of the pool (the side furthest from the AKL) is a pink flamingo area, and beyond THAT you can see Kudu grazing. Of course, there is also Arusha Rock, to get a ga-zillion views of the animals!

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
06-16-2005, 02:26 AM
....BUMPING for Laura!

:love: Thanks !!! I'm trying and reading all of these pages ...
HERE I can feel "my AKL vacation" closer ... :goodvibes even if I'm working from 8.00 AM to 7.00 PM for my students END OF SECONDARY SCHOOL TESTS !!!!!!! :badpc:

You did a WONDERFUL job !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2:

I liked the hair cut in Main Street photos... cool !!!!!!!!!!!! :cool1: but could not ADMIRE your OTHER pics !!!! I can ONLY watch TIDE ?!?!
Have to try again one evening ... hopefully with some more "free" time just FOR ME !!!

Anyhow ... your thread made my day very SPECIAL !!!!!

:cloud9: DGH and I are dreaming of ...( Paying maybe one or two days in concierge ...) getting those TOURS "with the animals" at the resort and at AK park !!!
We are thinking of asking for "concierge" at check in : what are your thoughts ?

THANKS again ... I'll keep on reading and DREAMING !!!! :wizard:
(while rating :rolleyes1 compositions on Italian literature ???? :p )

Ciaoooooooo, laura :wave2:

kimmar067
06-20-2005, 03:25 PM
...that I didn't get to respond till NOW, but I've have been a VERY BUSY LADY these last few weeks!!!! :earseek: If you don't book concierge ahead of time, I would suggest you DEFINITELY try to ask at check-in, even if it is on the pricey side; it is SOOOO worth it to do it at least ONCE!!! :hyper: And don't forget to eat a ZEBRA DOME for me... :teeth: !!

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks !!!!
We WANT to ask for concierge at check in ! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

:confused3 What's a zebra dome ?

Hope you have a "lighter" week !!!! :love:

laura

plutospup
06-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Kimmar, my WL friend, you've convinced me to stay at AKL!! I can't believe I just read this entire thread. Two questions (for now!) Can you see any animals with a "pool view" room? ...and somewhere a few pages back someone mentioned flamingo feeding -any details, please. This should be a great trip! Thanks for all of the AKL info.

#1hockeymom
06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
adding in my two cents just in case Kimmar is asleep!

Flamingo feeding is usually done in the morning. The time will be posted on the board by bell services and also by the elevators between Boma and Jiko. It is very informational for kids, as they discuss different types of bird beaks and how they eat with those beaks. There is usually a "science experiement" the kids are encouraged to help out with, during this time. While this is for children, I know all the adults also ended up learning something from watching and listening! Anyone may ask questions and the handler/feeders will be happy to answer. I think this is a DO NOT miss!

There would definitely be some pool view rooms where you would be able to see glimpses of the savannah. I would look at the map on allears to be more room specific.

Happy planning!
Debbie

plutospup
06-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Thanks #1hockeymom! The flamingo feeding sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure dd8 will love it (of course I will, too!)

kimmar067
06-25-2005, 03:26 PM
adding in my two cents just in case Kimmar is asleep!

....snore....zzz...uhhhh.....wha...... :blush: ...gasp...Ooops, sorry! :confused3

kimmar067
06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
....THIS is a courtesy 'BUMP'!! :teeth:

kimmar067
06-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks !!!!

:confused3 What's a zebra dome?

laura

...what's a ZEBRA DOME??? Only a lil' piece of HEAVEN-ON-EARTH!! They're a striped, dome-shaped confectioner's delight filled with a chocolaty/mocha-ish flavored mouse...simply DIVINE!! :cloud9:

kimmar067
06-29-2005, 12:47 PM
...but ladies, can ya click onto this link and take the poll.....

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=849544

Nik's Mom
06-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Darn, those zebra domes are good! Wish they'd ship them to my home!

kimmar067
06-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Darn, those zebra domes are good! Wish they'd ship them to my home!

...to THAT!! :teeth:

Nik's Mom
06-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Kimmar, if memory serves me right, did you stay in a deluxe concierge room? We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary next year. I'm considerine another stay at AKL, but this time concierge. Was it worth the $$?

kimmar067
06-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Kimmar, if memory serves me right, did you stay in a deluxe concierge room? We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary next year. I'm considerine another stay at AKL, but this time concierge. Was it worth the $$?

....we did, and it was AWESOME!!! However I had a code at the time, so I got a phenomenal deal!! ($313/nite)

kimmar067
06-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Kimmar, my WL friend, you've convinced me to stay at AKL!! I can't believe I just read this entire thread. Two questions (for now!) Can you see any animals with a "pool view" room? ...and somewhere a few pages back someone mentioned flamingo feeding -any details, please. This should be a great trip! Thanks for all of the AKL info.

...I didn't respond SOONER :blush: , but YES you can see animals if you are on a higher floor. The flamingo pond is at the far end of the pool and beyond THAT is a public animal-viewing area. You have a better chance of seeing animals is you are further 'down' the hall....

plutospup
06-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Here's another question...At checkin do they give a sheet with the kids activities for the week (like WL...duck races Tuesday, pool games Wednesday,etc)? Thanks for your help!

ScottieDog
06-30-2005, 08:30 PM
....we did, and it was AWESOME!!! However I had a code at the time, so I got a phenomenal deal!! ($313/nite)

Hold it....hold it!!!!

What could this hotel posibly provide that would make it worth $313 a night?

Mind you, I;m not trying to be a poop...I travel a lot (for business) and LOVE a great hotel. Still, what about concierge makes it worth the extra $$$?

Cathryn~ :flower:

Nik's Mom
06-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Here's another question...At checkin do they give a sheet with the kids activities for the week (like WL...duck races Tuesday, pool games Wednesday,etc)? Thanks for your help!

They give you a sheet indicating what animals are found at the resort, and there is a bulletin board in the lobby that mentions times of children activities. :sunny:

Valera
07-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Amazing thread! We are staying at AKL for the 1st time in July for 2 nights before transferring over to the WL.

Can you tell me what location to request? We booked a great standard rate AP rate. I don't want to be so specific as to rule out the possibility of an upgrade.

I was thinking of requesting something like this what do you think?

Nonsmoking, upper floor, close to lobby or pool.

Would that keep me away from the dreaded bus or wall view?

Thanks for any help!

roberrl187
07-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for so much amazing information. We will be staying at AKL for the first time in August and have been second gussing ourselves as to wether it is worth it. I have read some threads saying that the cast members aren't always the friendliest ones in WDW. But after reading all of this information, I'm really excited about staying there.

What do you think my chances of getting the bunkbed arrangement that I requsted. I have a DS (16) and a DD (12) and don't want them to have to share a bed.

kimmar067
07-01-2005, 05:24 PM
If you request 'lobby' then you may not necessarily get 'pool' and vice-versa. I would stick with 'non-smoking/upper floor' and, since you ARE booked for a std room, ask if there are any upgrades being offered. The Giraffe and Ostrich Trails are the std rooms, which face the parking lot. You may get put in one of those trails, but on the OTHER side of the hall, which is an upgrade. Truthfully, it will be such a wonderful vaca, because the AKL is such a FABULOUS resort. Don't worry too much about not seeing animals. I worried, too, but there were PLENTY of opportunities at public-viewing locations throughout the resort!

Rebecca ~
If you don't want your DKids sleeping in a queen bed DEFINITELY request a bunk room ASAP!

plutospup ~
Yes, activities are posted every day; there is a location, too, at the indoor alcove that is located to the far left side as you walk into the lobby. Some great activities include flamingo feeding in the AM, cookie decorating at Boma (I think 3 PM), and the kids can make beaded necklaces (they 'earn' or 'win' the beads!), story-telling around the fire pit at Arusha Rock, and other things, too!

For those who will be visiting AKL in the next few weeks ~ if the beauty and aura of the lobby [as you enter for the 1st time] don't get ya, the aromas WILL!! :teeth:

tekmom
07-01-2005, 07:44 PM
We are going in 2 weeks and on my ressie I requested non smoking, third floor or higher and bunkbeds. I doubt we will get any upgrade but I figured even if I get parking lot view it might be better if I'm higher. I may just get wall room first floor, queen beds, smoke filled.....but I'll be on vacation! :flower:

kimmar067
07-01-2005, 07:53 PM
We are going in 2 weeks and on my ressie I requested non smoking, third floor or higher and bunkbeds. I doubt we will get any upgrade but I figured even if I get parking lot view it might be better if I'm higher. I may just get wall room first floor, queen beds, smoke filled.....but I'll be on vacation! :flower:

....THAT'S looking on the bright side :teeth: !

kimmar067
07-03-2005, 08:27 AM
...bump-ity, wump-ity! :cool1:

plutospup
07-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Re: Children's activities
If there is cookie decorating...is there Zebra Dome sampling? :earboy2:

But seriously...Are newspapers delivered to the rooms each morning?
Thanx for your help!

kimmar067
07-03-2005, 04:17 PM
...is there Zebra Dome sampling? :earboy2:

:rotfl: Don't YOU wish.... :teeth: Zebra dome-sampling; that's enought to make ME wanna stay at the AKL again! :banana:

But seriously...Are newspapers delivered to the rooms each morning?
Thanx for your help!

Yes, we got a newspaper, fairly early, every morning!

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
07-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Zebra dome-sampling........ :banana:

I'm getting MORE AND MORE EXCITED !!!!!!!!! :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana: :bounce:

Is AUGUST here ? :cloud9:

Kim, what about "activities for ADULTS" ? Any suggestions ? You are OUR expert - resident !!!! :love:

Laura

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
07-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Kim, I finally could watch those mini-videos you posted on page 8 !!!!!! Amazing !!!!!
It's like being at AKL already !!!!!!!!! Awesome !!!!
We'll be staying at AKL 11 - 22 August !!!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

NOW ...where do I get that wonderful "kitchen sink" full of WONDERFUL treats ? Beach club ?
You know, I'm on a "low fat" diet !! :rotfl2:

laura

kimmar067
07-05-2005, 09:06 AM
NOW ...where do I get that wonderful "kitchen sink" full of WONDERFUL treats ? Beach club ?
You know, I'm on a "low fat" diet !! :rotfl2:

laura

:rotfl: :rotfl2:

Don't forget to 'set a spell' at the fire pit in Arusha Rock...sooo relaxing! Did you book concierge yet?? I hope so, cuz' then you MUST book the SS!

Valera
07-05-2005, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=kimmar067]If you request 'lobby' then you may not necessarily get 'pool' and vice-versa. I would stick with 'non-smoking/upper floor' and, since you ARE booked for a std room, ask if there are any upgrades being offered. The Giraffe and Ostrich Trails are the std rooms, which face the parking lot. You may get put in one of those trails, but on the OTHER side of the hall, which is an upgrade. Truthfully, it will be such a wonderful vaca, because the AKL is such a FABULOUS resort. Don't worry too much about not seeing animals. I worried, too, but there were PLENTY of opportunities at public-viewing locations throughout the resort! QUOTE]

Thank you for the advise I am going to call and add a request for non-smoking/upper floor and see what happens. I also think I will try an slip into the conversation that it is my DM B-day and my grad and see if that helps.

I'm sure we will be happy with whatever as we are only there for 2 nights before switching to WL but a good view would be nice!

Valera
07-05-2005, 10:27 AM
My DS is quite a kicker in bed so I was considering asking for bunk beds. Has anyone who has been an adult slept in one? How large are they? I am only 5'3" with a small frame but don't want to be uncomfortable or claustrophobic.

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
07-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Did you book concierge yet?? I hope so, cuz' then you MUST book the SS!

We are thinking of asking "concierge" at check in --- WITHOUT changing room, i.e. we pay the difference for concierge BUT would like to stay in the same "standard" room for the whole staying. :goodvibes

Do you think they will allow us to do so ?

CIAOOOOOOO, laura :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

kimmar067
07-05-2005, 02:05 PM
It depends....if that room is scheduled for an arrival, they will move you, because your room will be reserved for someone else! (You'd think it'd be EASIER to just move the OTHER person[s] since, they have not been to their new room yet... :confused3 )

kimmar067
07-05-2005, 02:06 PM
My DS is quite a kicker in bed so I was considering asking for bunk beds. Has anyone who has been an adult slept in one? How large are they? I am only 5'3" with a small frame but don't want to be uncomfortable or claustrophobic.
Do you realize that, along with the bunks, there is a queen bed in the room??

Valera
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Yes I do but let me explain who is traveling with us.

It will be my DM, my DS, and me. So my DM will have one queen to herself and then DS and I will either share like we have done before or get the bunk beds which I think my DS would love.

kimmar067
07-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes I do but let me explain who is traveling with us.

It will be my DM, my DS, and me. So my DM will have one queen to herself and then DS and I will either share like we have done before or get the bunk beds which I think my DS would love.

....well, THAT certainly puts it in a different light! If you are worried about feeling 'closed in' in a bunk, you can request a deluxe room, which has a pull-out couch!

John's Mom
07-05-2005, 06:54 PM
We have stayed in a deluxe room at the AKL three times since 2001 (two of those visits were concierge). There have only been two queen beds in the room. We have never had a sofa.

kimmar067
07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
We have stayed in a deluxe room at the AKL three times since 2001 (two of those visits were concierge). There have only been two queen beds in the room. We have never had a sofa.

...was a deluxe. It DID have a couch AND bunks! (Room #5381)

Harambe
07-05-2005, 11:53 PM
I stretched out on the bottom bunk once, and it was fine. I'm 5'6". I loved our bunk bed room!

kimmar067
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
...with personal preferences. Same as, some folks don't like AKL because they stay it's "too dark"....there's a great new invention called a "LAMP"... :rotfl: Actually, my 16y-o DS is slightly taller than me [about 5'8"], and he slept in the bottom bunk with no problems..... :confused3 !

kimmar067
07-18-2005, 10:26 AM
:Pinkbounc :cool1: :banana: :bounce:

Laura and Marco are ALMOST ready to do the "Single-Digit Dance"!!! Woohoo!

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
07-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Ciao , KIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

We have to say we are both VERY EXCITED !!!!!!
This long stay at AKL is also a celebration for our soon coming 30th wedding anniversary !!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Of course we hope we can have a nice room - but don't care that much :
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc just being at WDW is wonderful !!!! and beautiful AKL will add some more :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: to the whole experience !!!!!!!!!!!

Marco gifted me a new digital camera ... so I can take as many photos of Judy ( MY giraffe) and other animal-guests of the lodge as I like !!!!

We'll be leaving Italy on July 31st !!! :jumping1:

Laura

kimmar067
07-22-2005, 04:30 PM
...if THIS http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/aklss.htm doesn't get you (and all you other AKL lovers out there!) excited about visiting the AKL, I don't know what will!! :bounce: :cool1:
Woohoo, your doin' the single-digit dance NOW....:banana:

cavecricket
07-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Almost AKL time !

Ladybugsy
07-22-2005, 06:47 PM
We are going to AKL on the 18th of September. I have a question, please. We're requesting connecting rooms. With the door connecting the 2 rooms together. Am I supposed to ask for connecting or adjoining. Also, do they have queen/bunk bed rooms that are connecting? Is it senseless to request this?

kimmar067
07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
...connecting rooms. Adjoining rooms simply are next to each other, but there isn't necessarily access to BOTH rooms from the inside. You'll have to request queen/bunk connecting rooms. Some of them MAY be bunk/bunk connecting or bunk/king connecting....good luck!

kimmar067
07-23-2005, 10:09 AM
...for Beckie! :sunny:

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
07-25-2005, 07:25 AM
:flower: KIM :flower:

that link on page 12 is WONDERFUL !!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many photos of AKL !!!!!!!!!!! The second best thing ...if one can't be there at the moment !!!!

:love2: Thank you for posting !!!!!

6 days !!!!

:thewave: :thewave:

laura :wave2:

kimmar067
07-28-2005, 08:37 PM
...welcome, Laura...wow, only TWO MORE DAYS FOR YOU!!!! :cool1: :banana:

BTW, Here is a pic of those Zebra Domes I was talking about...http://allearsnet.com/acc/akl_boma14.jpg

kimmar067
07-29-2005, 10:08 AM
...for Majestic [and his DD!]... :flower:

MICKEY'S DREAMERS
07-30-2005, 02:58 AM
:wave: Ciao, Kim !!!!
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH for this wonderful thread !!!! It helped us a lot in ... :cloud9: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
DGH and I will stay at AKL 11- 22 August !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait !!! It's a dream ... come true !!! :goodvibes

BUT we'll be leaving Italy tomorrow morning : about 10 hours flight ...before "the magic" can start !!! :crazy:

FLORIDA : here we come !!!!
http://lnx.ginevra2000.it/Disney/animatedgif/apgodybkgd.jpg

Love from Italy !!!

Laura and DGH :love:

kimmar067
07-30-2005, 10:33 AM
....MOST welcome, Laura [ and "Grumps"]! Have a safe and wonderful flight....and enjoy your stay at AKL!!!

kimmar067
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
....:scratchin wonder if Laura and Marco went on the SS!

kimmar067
08-04-2005, 10:01 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/Oct200424.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/Oct20049.jpg

kimmar067
08-04-2005, 10:07 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/Oct200421.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/IMG016.jpg

kimmar067
08-04-2005, 10:31 AM
...hope ya don't mind:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/jcemom/100_0048.jpg

kimmar067
08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
http://home.alltel.net/marseeya/aklslide.jpg
http://home.alltel.net/marseeya/busakl.jpg

THANK YOU, MARSEEYA!!

McKelly
08-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the pics! We live in 16 days for AKL and I cannot wait!!

noahsmom
08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
We just booked concierge at AKL for next July. Are there any "bad" concierge rooms? Do any of the concierge rooms have bunks, my ds would love that?

Also, I read somewhere about the SS changing days. Is there any way I can confirm that? We have booked our stay based on Tues/Sat SS.

kimmar067
08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Room 5421 is a concierge room AND has bunks, so maybe you can request this when you speak to someone in concierge [like Don]! I do believe that the SS days ARE changed [as of 6/1/05], but, again, call concierge to be sure. I had made ressies, planning on doing the SS, not realizing that there were specific days for it, so I had to rearrange my ressies to fit SS. I had called with enough time to spare so that I could do this [change my ressies]...hope this helps!

kimmar067
08-04-2005, 10:16 PM
....noahsmom!

plutospup
08-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Great pics! Thanks!
Are there two spas/hot tubs?

kimmar067
08-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Great pics! Thanks!
Are there two spas/hot tubs?

...there are: one near the entrance to the health club/gym [behind the water slide] and the other is just before the public animal-viewing area.... :teeth:

tinawv
08-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Great slide show. I actually caught my self drooling while looking at the pictures. ;)

kimmar067
08-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Great slide show. I actually caught my self drooling while looking at the pictures. ;)

...it does that to some folk! :teeth:

goin2disneyagain
08-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi guys!! :wave: kimmar067 asked me to share any other AKL pix I might have for you guys. This is my absolute fave WDW resort. :love: I hope all you guys going for the 1st time love it as much as I do.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/IMG017.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/Oct200411.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/Oct200419.jpg

kimmar067
08-05-2005, 10:48 PM
YAY!! Thanks, goin2disneyagain!!!

:cool1: :banana: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :bounce: :wave:

goin2disneyagain
08-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I can't seem to get that list picture to reduce in size, sorry.

goin2disneyagain
08-05-2005, 10:53 PM
YAY!! Thanks, goin2disneyagain!!!

:cool1: :banana: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :bounce: :wave:
You're welcome!!

goin2disneyagain
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
A few more...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/Oct200422.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Sandrew29/Misc.jpg

kimmar067
08-06-2005, 08:30 PM
....more, more, more - I'm addicted!!! :cool1:

kimmar067
08-06-2005, 08:35 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/linns4/122_2272.jpg

goin2disneyagain
08-06-2005, 08:38 PM
I have a TON more that I took on my 1st stay at AKL in May 2003. I moved and haven't located my CD's from that trip yet. If I find them soon I will post some of those pix too. :paw: :paw:

kimmar067
08-06-2005, 08:42 PM
I have a TON more that I took on my 1st stay at AKL in May 2003. I moved and haven't located my CD's from that trip yet. If I find them soon I will post some of those pix too. :paw: :paw:

....YIPPEE, SKIPPEE!!!! :banana: :Pinkbounc

purplern
08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
We only stayed here once and it was beautiful! :dog:

kimmar067
08-08-2005, 01:20 PM

...waiting here on pins and needles for more pix....:cloud9:

noahsmom
08-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the bump! Based on what I've learned here I've changed our WDW stay. We are now 5 nights at AKL concierge, skipping Poly this time.

My 7 yr old ds is a little concerned about this because he LOVES the Poly pool. The slide at AKL doesn't look quite as exciting as the Poly slide. However I pointed out that we are closer to the water parks and could go there one day.

DH is concerned about the bus. Do the busses that leave AKL go directly to the parks or do they make multiple stops along the way. The only bus experience we have is from the TTC to AK park. It seemed to take forever. We've been a bit spoiled with the Poly monorail.

Thanks for all the great info!

Kelli

goin2disneyagain
08-08-2005, 06:30 PM
...waiting here on pins and needles for more pix....:cloud9:
I haven't found them yet, sorry. I will keep searching. :paw: :paw:

kimmar067
08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
* AHEM *....waiting patiently for those pix..... :cheer2: !!

kimmar067
08-15-2005, 03:29 PM
...My 7 yr old ds is a little concerned about this because he LOVES the Poly pool. The slide at AKL doesn't look quite as exciting as the Poly slide. However I pointed out that we are closer to the water parks and could go there one day.

My DS, who just turned 11 loved the pool slide....he also loved the fact that it was a zero-entry pool!

DH is concerned about the bus. Do the busses that leave AKL go directly to the parks or do they make multiple stops along the way. The only bus experience we have is from the TTC to AK park. It seemed to take forever. We've been a bit spoiled with the Poly monorail.

Kelli

It was our experience that the buses never made any "extra" stops on the way to any of our destinations....also, they were very frequent! (NEVER waited longer than about 10 or 12 minutes!)

MAGICinMYHEART
08-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Just back from a quick 3 night trip to Animal Kingdom Lodge, booked standard view.

At check-in we were upgraded to Room 4234 located on the Sunset Savanna, it had a King Size bed and sofa. Great room and location we spent many hours out on the balcony view the savanna and our new friends.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid182/p829720179e74dc382b4810ac9b2dfb75/f2cafd1e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid182/p9eefc8249751144cf8637869b5e78693/f2cafcf8.jpg

Beckie

kimmar067
08-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Just back from a quick 3 night trip to Animal Kingdom Lodge, booked standard view.

At check-in we were upgraded to Room 4234 located on the Sunset Savanna, it had a King Size bed and sofa. Great room and location we spent many hours out on the balcony view the savanna and our new friends.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid182/p829720179e74dc382b4810ac9b2dfb75/f2cafd1e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid182/p9eefc8249751144cf8637869b5e78693/f2cafcf8.jpg

Beckie

...sounds like you had a great time! (love the giraffe pic!) Did you get to meet up with Laura and Marco??? (I can't quite make out what that 2nd pic is.... :confused3 !)

MAGICinMYHEART
08-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Kimmar :wave:

The second photo is of a mama wart hog and two smaller ones, the photo was taken at sunset. Sorry it's so dark :confused3

Did we meet Laura and Marco? Oh yes we met Aug 7th while wating to board the Wonder and spent the week together. They are still at the Animial Kingdom Lodge now...but should head for home next Monday. We also visited Wilderness lodge last Saturday night for dinner and visited with HUMP.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid182/p52003608f4e5c6c2649ba627a905db5f/f2cb2ed0.jpg

kimmar067
08-20-2005, 09:26 PM
* SIGH *

Seeing Humphrey just reminds me of ol' Roy.... :rolleyes:

MAGICinMYHEART
08-20-2005, 09:31 PM
I will always think of Roy while I'm there. I said Hi to him. ::yes::

disneyma2
08-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Great Pics..love them all! We just upgraded to Concierge for our next trip...Nov 30-dec 7th..at our home away from home AKL! Can't wait to stay concierge. I've already spoken to Don (Donald Duck)from IPO, who couldn't have been nicer!

Tell me all about your concierge experiences!
Gretch

kimmar067
08-24-2005, 02:52 PM
...out my countdown thingie!! :banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana:

kimmar067
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
...sure feels good to be home again...what I miss...????

Viki
09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I know! I know! We haven't even taken our Xmas 2005 trip yet, but today in the mail we got our confirmation for the first 4 nights of our 8-night stay at AKL next year. My partner and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary and we already have all of our dinners planned! :rotfl2:

Anyway, this is a great thread and I wanted to subscribe!

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

kimmar067
09-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I know! I know! We haven't even taken our Xmas 2005 trip yet, but today in the mail we got our confirmation for the first 4 nights of our 8-night stay at AKL next year. My partner and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary and we already have all of our dinners planned! :rotfl2:

Anyway, this is a great thread and I wanted to subscribe!

....welcome! If you have ANY questions, by all means, post 'em HERE! :teeth:

kimmar067
09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Great Pics..love them all! We just upgraded to Concierge for our next trip...Nov 30-dec 7th..at our home away from home AKL! Can't wait to stay concierge. I've already spoken to Don (Donald Duck)from IPO, who couldn't have been nicer!

Tell me all about your concierge experiences!
Gretch

...you are going to LOVE AKL concierge! Don is really awesome, as well as the other CM's. They really go out of their way to make you feel at home! Just make sure to plan a non-park day to spend at AKL to really appreciate all it has to offer!

kimmar067
09-11-2005, 11:07 PM
....pic, compliments of my bellisima Laura [hope she approves! ;) ]

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/pb02ac0700d296060346625c003fbafed/f26a7ca5.jpg

Grazie Laura e Marco!

wendypooh
09-15-2005, 01:38 PM
WOW ~ What a GREAT thread!!! We've just decided to stay at AKL, and I'm so excited. Those Zebra domes are calling my name......... We are hoping for a bunk bed room, on the zebra trail, does anyone know if this is possible. Also, what activities are there for DS5? OK OK, I'll admit it, I started at page 8, gotta go back and read the first 7....... but, if anyone has any info or advice, what to ask for, etc.... please let me know. This will be our first stay at AKL......... so, tell me everything!!!

Thanks!!!

Kimmar -- Thanks for the reply!!

kimmar067
09-16-2005, 11:20 PM
....for wendypooh! :flower:

kimmar067
09-16-2005, 11:46 PM
...the wonderful, talented, fantastic, FORGIVING, jimmiej:

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/strosfan6160/myhomepage/akl.jpg

(Hope he doesn't mind.... :confused3 !)

flagen
09-17-2005, 01:53 AM
48 Days till we go staying Nov 5-13th Concierge also. :banana:

Have not been to DW since 1988, going with fianice :earsgirl: Going to enjoy her birthday while we are there :) :dancer:

wendypooh
09-17-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm so excited and looking forward to this trip!!! Thanks Kimmar!!!! :earboy2:

kimmar067
09-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm so excited and looking forward to this trip!!! Thanks Kimmar!!!! :earboy2:

No problem!!

kimmar067
09-20-2005, 12:38 PM
....cuz' I changed the name of the thread! :flower:

Camping Griswalds
09-21-2005, 10:04 AM
What are the pool hours? Are the lifeguards on duty the entire time? Thanks

Ergens2
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Can anyone tell me about the offerings in the concierge lounge? We are kinda picky eaters but like to try new things. Any help would be great. This would be our (dh and myself) first trip to AKL.

kimmar067
09-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Can anyone tell me about the offerings in the concierge lounge? We are kinda picky eaters but like to try new things. Any help would be great. This would be our (dh and myself) first trip to AKL.

...of course, the 'standard fare', including dry cerals, fruits, yogurts, etc for breakkies. Then there is the a-typical stuff, African breads, there was a fritter-type banana thingie (dee-lish) and a oatmeal-type hot ceral. We were never at AKL during lunch hours, so I can't help you there, but the late afternoon /early evening things included 'picky' (finger) foods. I think, once, there was a soup, probably from Boma. All the food is prepared at Boma, so, if you get a look-see at their menu, you can get a better idea. We DID get to sample some of the African wines ~ AWESOME!!! Beverages included juices, coffee, tea, soda - oh yeah, there was a wonderful fruit juice with mango/banana/? that was really good....

Edit:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/gregatdis/AKL.jpg
Taken by GregNY

Ergens2
09-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Does the lounge have beer? My DH loves the Tusker beer and he is not a big wine drinker.(I am, and agree with the African wines. Fantastic!! :drinking1 ) So hard to choose between WL and AKL. We usually stay at BWI or Y&B. What to do, what to do! :confused3
P.S. Is there a fireplace or something inside the lobby to sit by? That is what I love about the WL. I can go to the 4th floor and curl up with a good book and while away the hours.

Camping Griswalds
09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm still waiting to see the pool hours. I have a DS 13 and a DS 9 who I'd love to send out there in the evening. They are great swimmers so no big worry about that. We just booked a split stay for 5 nights at POP (in 2 rooms) and the last 5 in AKL. Jan 1/27-2/7. I can't even begin to tell you how excited we are! Actually I am the only one who is excited because I have not even told my DS or kids that we are doing a split stay. My DH will be thrilled. The day that we are switching resorts is a Thursday and we son't go into any parks that day...what time do the "activities" usually start? I'd love to spend the whole day there just relaxing, making cookies, story time etc. Does anyone have a list or a picture of what the typical daily activities are? Thanks soooooooo very much. Can't wait to be "one of you guys" and in love with AKL!! :cool1:

Viki
09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm still waiting to see the pool hours. I have a DS 13 and a DS 9 who I'd love to send out there in the evening. They are great swimmers so no big worry about that. We just booked a split stay for 5 nights at POP (in 2 rooms) and the last 5 in AKL. Jan 1/27-2/7. I can't even begin to tell you how excited we are! Actually I am the only one who is excited because I have not even told my DS or kids that we are doing a split stay. My DH will be thrilled. The day that we are switching resorts is a Thursday and we son't go into any parks that day...what time do the "activities" usually start? I'd love to spend the whole day there just relaxing, making cookies, story time etc. Does anyone have a list or a picture of what the typical daily activities are? Thanks soooooooo very much. Can't wait to be "one of you guys" and in love with AKL!! :cool1:

I don't know if these are up to date, but they'll give you the idea.

AKL activities:

Activities at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Horticulture Activity-Arusha Rock @ 9am
Flamingo Feedings-Uzima Savanna @ 9:30am
Spirit of Africa Art Tour-Ogun's Firepit @ 10:30am
Animal Tracking-Arusha Rock @ 11am-2pm
Medallion Crayon Rubbings-Lobby @ 12:30pm
Cookie Decorating-Boma's @ 1pm
Pelican Feedings-Arusha Rock @ 1pm
Pool Activities-Sat thru Wed, Uzima Pool @ 2:15pm
Children's Arts & Crafts ($5)-Thursdays, Kiddie Pool @ 2:15pm
(limited space available)
African Rag Doll Making ($10)-Fridays, Kiddie Pool @ 2:15pm (limited
space available)
Junior Researcher-By flamingo pond at pool @ 3pm
Culinary Tour of Africa-Ogun's Firepit @ 4pm
The Music of the Savanna-Top of Grand Staircase, Lobby @ 5pm
African Games & Crafts-Uzima Pool Deck @ 4:30pm
African Folktales-Arusha Rock Firepit @ 7:30pm
Games with Savanna Guides-Sunset Overlook @ 6:30pm
Cultural Safari-Sunset Overlook @ 8:30pm
Animal Viewing with Night Vision-Far end of Arusha Rock @ 9pm-11pm
(note: we got there right before 11pm and it didn't end while we
were there, about 20 minutes, so I'm assuming they hang out until
people leave?)
Nightly African story-telling outdoors, next to a raging fire.

I don't know about you, but I really wouldn't want to miss the Horticulture tour :rotfl2: !!!!!

kimmar067
09-22-2005, 09:17 AM
....Viki!

Viki
09-22-2005, 09:28 AM
....Viki!

You're more than welcome. And, thank YOU! I love this thread. I've learned so much I feel like I've stayed at AKL already and I still have 11 months to go!

(Though, we'll be visiting the lodge and having breakfast at Boma in Dec. Can't wait!)

YCFAN
09-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Viki: I did that this past July. Knowing that I already had a ressie for July 2006 at AKL I went to dinner at Boma and just walked around the hotel and took it all in. It was really a neat feeling to know that next vacation this would be our home away from home. I really paid attention to little details that I think if I hadn't known I would be staying there I might have missed. I can't wait for our next trip either!

John's Mom
09-22-2005, 10:15 AM
In case this hasn't already been answered, the pool is always open. The last time we were there, the lifeguards went off duty at 10 p.m.

Ergens2
09-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Dec 31- Jan 7 AKL CL !!!!!! OH my gosh!!!!!! This Epcot girl has been converted. Thanks to everyone here for the awsome thread!! I just can't wait! Question though. When will I hear from IPO? Should I contact them? My 90 days starts while I am at WDW for Food and Wine. (Yeah 8 day dance!!! :banana: ) Thanks again for everything gang!! :grouphug: This is going to be the best New Years ever!!

Camping Griswalds
09-22-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't know if these are up to date, but they'll give you the idea.

AKL activities:

Activities at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Horticulture Activity-Arusha Rock @ 9am
Flamingo Feedings-Uzima Savanna @ 9:30am
Spirit of Africa Art Tour-Ogun's Firepit @ 10:30am
Animal Tracking-Arusha Rock @ 11am-2pm
Medallion Crayon Rubbings-Lobby @ 12:30pm
Cookie Decorating-Boma's @ 1pm
Pelican Feedings-Arusha Rock @ 1pm
Pool Activities-Sat thru Wed, Uzima Pool @ 2:15pm
Children's Arts & Crafts ($5)-Thursdays, Kiddie Pool @ 2:15pm
(limited space available)
African Rag Doll Making ($10)-Fridays, Kiddie Pool @ 2:15pm (limited
space available)
Junior Researcher-By flamingo pond at pool @ 3pm
Culinary Tour of Africa-Ogun's Firepit @ 4pm
The Music of the Savanna-Top of Grand Staircase, Lobby @ 5pm
African Games & Crafts-Uzima Pool Deck @ 4:30pm
African Folktales-Arusha Rock Firepit @ 7:30pm
Games with Savanna Guides-Sunset Overlook @ 6:30pm
Cultural Safari-Sunset Overlook @ 8:30pm
Animal Viewing with Night Vision-Far end of Arusha Rock @ 9pm-11pm
(note: we got there right before 11pm and it didn't end while we
were there, about 20 minutes, so I'm assuming they hang out until
people leave?)
Nightly African story-telling outdoors, next to a raging fire.

I don't know about you, but I really wouldn't want to miss the Horticulture tour :rotfl2: !!!!!

Thanks for so much info! You were awesome to help me. Now I know that we'll transfer over early to enjoy as many activities as possible!! Thanks again!!

wendypooh
09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I appreciate the info........... we are getting so excited!!! Jan. won't get here fast enough!!!

kimmar067
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Dec 31- Jan 7 AKL CL !!!!!! OH my gosh!!!!!! This Epcot girl has been converted. Thanks to everyone here for the awsome thread!! I just can't wait! Question though. When will I hear from IPO? Should I contact them? My 90 days starts while I am at WDW for Food and Wine. (Yeah 8 day dance!!! :banana: ) Thanks again for everything gang!! :grouphug: This is going to be the best New Years ever!!

...happy for you! That is the great thing about concierge - THEY can help you with your PS's! (You SHOULD have gotten a "Welcome" packet that tells you about making ressies for restaurants, SS, purchasing tix, concierge offerings, etc....)

Ergens2
09-22-2005, 12:54 PM
...happy for you! That is the great thing about concierge - THEY can help you with your PS's! (You SHOULD have gotten a "Welcome" packet that tells you about making ressies for restaurants, SS, purchasing tix, concierge offerings, etc....)
I just booked today and 1/2 my ressie is with CRO (no BRP avail. for checkin Dec. 26- Jan. 1 :badpc:and then Dec 31 is Holiday and Jan 1 is value. I refused to pay holiday rates for a value night stay ) and the other is the BRP with my AP. I am going to call them and give them a heads up becuase I have 3 diff. conf. #'s. :p I know they are going to LOVE us!!! We are planning on arriving early on the 31 and spending the day at the resort (thanks a bunch Viki for the wonderful list! :goodvibes ) before we head to PI for the night. Oh, I just can't wait! :hyper: So much to do!

Viki
09-22-2005, 02:28 PM
You all are more than welcome! And I was merely posting what someone else had posted on one of these threads a little bit back. I knew gold when I saw it, so I copied and saved it.