PDA

View Full Version : Southwest has Youth Rate

mommi97
02-23-2005, 12:04 AM
I called today after seeing something on SW website about Infant and Youth Rates. The woman confirmed that yes they do have a youth rate. She said I shoulld get my rate offline (which is probably going to be cheaper) and then call and compare it with the youth rate. I have 3 children so it may work out better for me.

Also I asked about carseats since I have a 4 year old that is under their required 40 lb. limit. She said no need for a carseat. However the wheels were turning in my head. Either way if I rent a car I am going to have to have a carseat for him and also my 2 year old. So I asked the woman if I decided to bring a carseat for him is that ok since he is under the weight limit and she said YES! so that will save me from renting one with the car rental place!

Now I just have to wait for the August rates to come out!!!

aka-mad4themouse
02-23-2005, 05:44 AM
This is really good to know. How old is a "youth"? My children are in their teens now. For the most part, they are considered "youths" or "juniors" when staying at hotels but would they qualify for the reduced fares at Southwest?

Lewisc
02-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Not to put a damper on this thread but the youth rates are discounted from the fully refundable fare. The discounted fares most of us book through the internet are not further discounted as a youth fare and are almost always cheaper than the youth fare.

For other people reading this thread the OP said she was told by SW the online fares would probably be cheaper than the youth fare.

Definitely good to know if you're demanding a particular day/time and are going to pay the full fare for most of your party.

CinderellasMama
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
The internet fares are almost always cheaper than the youth fare. I bought my daughter the internet fare because it was $206 and the youth fare was $239.

Brenda

NJDisneymom
02-23-2005, 01:38 PM
The internet fares are almost always cheaper than the youth fare. I bought my daughter the internet fare because it was $206 and the youth fare was $239.

Brenda

I happened to ask about discounted kid fares and this is exactly what the rep told me on the phone. Our fare of $209 each was less than the youth fare.

mommi97
02-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to cause confusion, it was just something new I found out and wanted to share. She did tell me online was cheaper unless the only option you have left is the full refundable in which the phone quote would be cheaper. If there are specials going on they will be cheaper on the internet.

NotUrsula
02-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Also, just FYI, you get more Rapid Rewards credit for each flight when you book it online, rather than calling.

funcinderella
02-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Another aside to the original poster: Many of the minivans at the car rental places have the two fold down car seats as part of the seat. I had brought portable car seats last year when I went, but never had to use them because our car had the fold down seats. They were great! However, I don't know if you can request them specifically.