PDA

View Full Version : meal vouchers-HA HA HA

Debs1963
02-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I must be totally confused but I went to ebay in search of meal vouchers. We are going in May so the vouchers that expire in May would work for us. I almost fell off my chair. Some people are paying $50 for 2 Quick and Casual meal vouchers. That means $25 per meal. Is the joke on me???? Should I expect to spend that much money at these counter restaurant? If that's the case I'll buy ahead but aren't these vouchers a little overpriced? What do you need to pay to get a deal on a voucher? My estimates are about 11$ per voucher to save any money. Feedback appreciated!!! Deb

CarolA
02-20-2005, 02:15 PM
No, these folks are WAY overpaying! I don't think these folks do any reserch.

Princess Glenda
02-20-2005, 02:18 PM
$11.50 (I think I am correct) was the price that the vouchers were if you bought them from Connections or Hotwire, etc. These vouchers are no longer available through these clubs. You can easily get meals at many of the counter service restaurants for $11 or under. However if you are planning to use these at Pepper Market or Beaches and Cream the vouchers can save TONS. I agree the eBay prices are outrageous! My only thought is that maybe people are bidding on these to use for a special meal at Beaches and Cream or Pepper Market. I paid $14 for some Q and C vouchers a few months ago with the intent to use them at these restaurants and think I will still be saving a lot. I think the fact that they are no longer available through the savings clubs has sent the eBay bids SKY HIGH!

DMRick
02-20-2005, 02:55 PM
They are way overpaying. Even if you use them at Beaches and Cream, you are overpaying. You'll save a few dollars paying $25 if (and only if) you buy their most expensive meal with dessert. We get the prime rib and dessert and our bil is usually about $36 with tax and tip (included in the vouchers), and the rib eye is a tad less. But if we were paying cash, we wouldn't get that, as we don't feel it's worth that much. Of course using one of our vouchers that was $11.50, it's a bargain.

canwegosoon
02-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Now I'm thinking should I sell all our vouchers, and get twice the money!!! :rolleyes: There is a woman on there selling any number of vouchers you want for $21.....!!!!!each :faint: I wonder what her source is? Long live free enterprise...now should I sell mine? :confused3

ybcart7
02-21-2005, 07:37 AM
no longer able to purchase them through Hotwire and is going on a trip in March!! (of course -- like me!!) Anyway -- there is a new website created to sell Disney items --- you should sell them there -- but remember they expire in May!! PM me to let me know if you do list them there!!

http://magicmom.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1107441933

DMRick
02-21-2005, 08:12 AM
there is a new website created to sell Disney items
That's if you're a nice guy :)
If I have any left over, I want to sell them on eBay, to pay for my next trip LOL! Last time I bought my limit before they stopped selling them, to help out some people on this board from Canada. A couple of them never paid, I still have them..and the value went way up :cool1:
After this trip, I don't think I'll save them for the May trip..eBay here I come!

Snow is all shoveled, kids will soon be here..and it's off to Disney we go!

pjshaff
02-21-2005, 08:21 AM
It's amazing. I have bid on quite a few the past week, never going above 11.50, and surprise, surprise, have been outbid on each and every one. I honestly can't believe what they are going for. If I had a few extras, I'd be selling them on Ebay too. :rotfl:

aka-mad4themouse
02-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Just keep checking the DIS Auctions. I was able to buy one recently (using BUY IT NOW) from another DISer who only wanted to recover what she paid for it. Too bad she didn't have more left over because I would have bought them all! We're staying at CSR (think several visits to the Pepper Market) and my DH has decided to join us.

WDWorBUST
02-21-2005, 11:24 AM
we loved the value of these - a $60 ticket and two vouchers used making us only having paid $23- of course we never would have went to the Pepper Market or bought the ribeye steak or prime rib if we had without the vouchers. I had a friend pay $16.50 a piece for them on ebay while you still could get them - I about choked her. But even then they are a good deal if you use them wisely. Of course she has had to cancel her trip now and I've listed them on ebay for her because it's her only chance of recouping her money. I hope they do well - but she just wants to get back what she has in them.

disneyjunkie
02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I have 6 quick and casual vouchers that I had planned to use during our April trip. I think I may just put them aside and offer them on ebay once we get back.

aka-mad4themouse
02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
disneyjunkie,
Based on your countdown, it will probably already be May when you return from your trip. You may find yourself selling vouchers that will expire soon to a small market. If you have no intentions of using your vouchers on your trip, I would recommend auctioning them off before the trip and using the proceeds to help defray your costs. Otherwise, take them with you and enjoy the savings.

meandtheguys2
02-21-2005, 03:13 PM
It's amazing. I have bid on quite a few the past week, never going above 11.50, and surprise, surprise, have been outbid on each and every one. I honestly can't believe what they are going for. If I had a few extras, I'd be selling them on Ebay too. :rotfl:

Why would anyone sell them for $11.50? Don't you have to pay fees to list on ebay? And I know you have to pay a fee to hotwire, because I did. If I had listed mine, I would have kept both of those fees in mind when I put them up for bid, frankly.

disneyjunkie, you can eat alot for what you could get for those on ebay! :teeth:

chucknjulie
02-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I just sold mine there. I got about $16 each. I am happy with that, I got my money back out, it paid my listing fee and paypal fee and the buyer can still save money.

The reason mine went so much lower than others, I think were because I did not put the word "voucher" in my listing, and because I was selling 4. I should have only sold them two at a time, oh - and I should have started my bids at .99 instead of $60.00. I wanted to make sure I could cover my costs, but I shouldn't have done that.

I saw someone pay $43 once (for one) I felt terrible for that person. Free enterprise and capitalism are great, right up until you are ripping someone off. Then it is sad.

Oh, and for those wanting to rip my head off for selling them higher than I bought them for - I hunted long and hard and joined hotwire to save money on my vacation. I earned the right to get market value for the 4 I had left over. (Even if it turned out to be low market value :))

Twende
02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
I am a :earseek: "fool" :confused3 who paid close to $16 a piece for some Q & C's on ebay. I had some and needed a few more to take the family to Pepper Market..Otherwise some of us could have gone there and others would have had to go somewhere else!

But I figure that as long as we eat there that even the $16 is saving money compared to what I would have to pay in cash there.

I wish I had a way to get even one VKL for near the price I paid last year through Hotwire! We had more fun at RainForest with a voucher and a shared meal last year! :Pinkbounc

alisonbestford
02-21-2005, 05:58 PM
I was lucky enough to buy some on ebay which cost only $13 each, including S&H (bear in mind that I'm in the UK and can't join Hotwire etc)
We just returned home and listed them as I didn't know what else to do with them and wanted to recover the costs.
We had a great time using them as we stayed at the Coronado Springs so were 'onsite' so to speak :sunny:
It's such a shame that they're no longer available. We too had great fun at the Rainforest Cafe and our server was fantastic.
Alison
:cheer2:

ilovediznee
02-21-2005, 08:51 PM
I was too late to buy them before hotwire pulled them, but I have managed to get 1 lunch voucher - premium and 6 quick and casual. I really need another premium lunch voucher but not willing to pay those outrageous prices!!

Di :love:

Twende
02-21-2005, 11:22 PM
That WDWorBUST is one fantastic and classy lady! :earsgirl:

She just sold me her VKL and now I can take DH to RainForest and have a pig out! :cheer2:

It really warms one's heart to know that there are such great and caring people out there! :goodvibes

Thank YOU! :teeth: :grouphug: :love2: