PDA

View Full Version : sorority girls!

WDWfanatic288
02-19-2005, 01:43 PM
hey everyone!! I'm pledging Phi Sigma Sigma(I get initationed tomorrow!! yay!!) but I was wondering if any other girls on here were a Phi Sig? (Norah told me there were some other ones on here)
and also, if you are one in the Philadelphia region, I was wondering if anyone is going to the Regional Conference next week b/c it would be cool to meet up with some people!
and if you aren't a Phi Sig and you are in a sorority, which one are you in? (guys can say what frat they are in!)

SDAngel101
02-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey Jules, I'm so happy you are going greek! And good luck with initation :) Im in the Theta Omega chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha and I looooooooove it!

zurgswife
02-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey Jules, I'm so happy you are going greek! And good luck with initation :) Im in the Theta Omega chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha and I looooooooove it!

This thread pulled an old diser like me over...but glad I did....I'm a Zeta from Gamma Kappa from way back in the dark ages.... :cool1: :cool1:

Soccer Princess
02-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Congrats on initiation! I'm a Sigma Kappa from the University of Louisville (Alpha Theta Chapter). Greek Life is great!

cheerdancer11
02-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey I'm reading a booked called Pledged and its about 4 girls in a sorority. It's pretty good so far, Its about a writer who went back to school to see what sororities are really like. I don't know if I'll do one in college or not though, I'll have to see :earsboy: See ya!
Michele

Soccer Princess
02-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey I'm reading a booked called Pledged and its about 4 girls in a sorority. It's pretty good so far, Its about a writer who went back to school to see what sororities are really like. I don't know if I'll do one in college or not though, I'll have to see :earsboy: See ya!
Michele

That book has MANY instances of FALSE information. Please do not believe everything in that book. Not all sororities haze and also some of the "secrets" revealed in the book are wrong. The author definately put a negative spin on many aspects of sorority life. Talk to some REAL girls you know in sororities to get a better idea :)

cheerdancer11
02-20-2005, 12:03 PM
I know, definitely this is a negative spins on sororities. I know alot of girls from my hs joined and theirs are definietly not like the ones described in this book. I think at different schools they are also very different. Thanks for the heads up :flower:

SoonerKate
02-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm a recent alum from Upsilon chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta. There are quite a few Alpha Gams on the board; even a couple from my chapter!

daughter_of_amid_chaos
02-20-2005, 06:03 PM
I am a Delta Gamma of the Gamma Iota chapter at DePauw University

Crankyshank
02-21-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm a UMASS Tri Sigma from the now gone Gamma Iota chapter

Tinkerbell10403
02-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I am a Zeta from Lousiana State!! Geaux Tigers!!

littlemermaid
02-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Hey! I'm in Tau Beta Sigma (which is actually a service sorority)...it's different from a social but still has many of the same aspects. And it's also co-ed :flower:

pjpoohbear
02-26-2005, 01:04 PM
I am a past TriDelt out of the Canada Alpha Chapter (University of Toronto). Going Greek was not the normal thing at my campus, the chapters are not even affilated with the University up here. They get two lines in the Student Handbook, just saying that they are available.

But I found that it was a great experience even though our chapter was very small, just twenty girls when I joined, (the biggest house had 45 girls that year) I was made V.P. membership the day after I was initiated, lol. It made for a very interesting ride.

Enjoy your time with your sisters, and have a lot of fun!

Penny

SoonerKate
02-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I met a bunch of girls from our Tau Chapter (Alpha Gamma Delta) at UToronto last year at centennial convention. Y'all definitely have a different experience, but from what I've seen, it's still amazing!

pjpoohbear
02-26-2005, 02:49 PM
The AGD girls were great during the time I was in the TriDelt house. They were my second pick during rush. The funny thing was that when they gave me Vp. membership, I was given the formal rush lists and saw my scores and placement. I was second after the only legacy. It felt good!

Different is right! No house mother(most girls were already 19, drinking age, when they pledged), no house meals(except meeting night), no greek advisors on campus. We don't report our gpa's except to hand them in once a year to the PanHel council. Greek week is a little lame, but without school acknowledgement it is hard to get events placed on campus.

And PanHal rush is so backwards here, no one applies to be part of FR. No one sends references in for daughters, sisters or family friends. We generally had to beg girls to come and see what a Women's Fraternity/Sorority was. We have a lot of ethnic groups on campus and not alot of social/philanthropic groups. And we have so much housing on and around our campus that we lose out on that incentive.

Other Canadian Campuses have a much stronger greek presence, Queen's, and U of Western Ontario come to mind. Although we do have 7 women's houses and I think it is 12-15 men's houses.

Penny

caitycaity
02-26-2005, 03:14 PM
i'm a phi sig! congratulations on your initiation! :cool1:

phisigprincess
03-01-2005, 03:05 PM
WOO HOO!!! Welcome to the sisterhood of a lifetime!!! :cheer2: I'm a Gamma Gamma (Clarion University of PA) alum. :) I pledged in Spring 2001 and I just left this past December. I was Archon for 2 years in a row, MRC, Tribune, and PR chair. Now I'm looking into becoming housing coordinator for Region 7.

What chapter is in Philly? Is that Xi? I'm so excited for you! You're going to have such a great time!!! Phi Sigma Sigma was truly the best choice I ever made in college (actually just going Greek in general!) There are a ton of Phi Sigs on the boards. I think there are about 9 that I remember from the community board. Davids-Coco is on the College Board a lot too and she's a Phi Sig. We're just all over the place. Drop me a PM if you ever want to chat!!

Megster
03-01-2005, 04:42 PM
a few of my friends here at school pledged in the fall, and a few are pledging this spring. I decided that Im going to atleast go through formal rush next fall. But I'm nervous that I'll really like a house and won't be given a bid. Does this happen a lot? Or should I just not worry about it?

phisigprincess
03-02-2005, 11:14 AM
I would say don't worry about it. Now, every school is different, but at mine, usually if you really like a house it's because the girls are people you feel comfortable with. If that's the case, they'll probably feel comfortable with you too. I think there's a place for everyone in the Greek community and hopefully you can find yours! Do you know how many people are allowed in a sorority at your school? For example, we're only allowed to take 60 girls at my school, but because of the decline in interest all of the groups hover from 30-50. That leaves space for great girls who might be interseted. I'm glad you're considering going through formal recruitment. That's a great way to meet everyone if you go in with an open mind. Good luck!! :)

Megster
03-02-2005, 11:26 AM
The sororites are allowed to have 95 active sisters here. I know for a fact that one house has 95 (they couldn't take a pledge class this spring), but I'm not really sure about the other 5.

WDWfanatic288
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Here at Penn we are the Nu chapter. I think Temple is the Xi chapter but I can't remember.

at least here for rush, pretty much everyone who wanted a bid got a bid, for the msot part. It was very nerveracking and just sooo stressful. Some girls were physically getting sick from worrying so much about Rush. I promise that no matter what happens, it all works out. The girls in the house know who will fit into their house. Also, there were houses I liked but wasn't invited back to and I was upset but now I'm totally over it. Those houses, i would have NEVER fit into in a lifetime and they knew that as well. SO go thru Rush and try to find the house you feel most comfortable with. It's hard to tell from the first round, even the second, the personality of the house but by the later rounds, it really begins to stand out and you can decide from there :)

cheerdancer11
03-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Good Advice WDWfanatic288! I have a quick ?. So if you're in a sorority you have the National title of the group and then the chapter title of the group? It kind of confuses me that way. If any one could clarify I'd appreciate it :flower:

angel*lady
03-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Another oldtimer here! Pledged Kappa Alpha Theta, Beta Lambda Chapter (William and Mary) in 1976. All these years later my closest friends are women who were my fellow Thetas in college. I am very involved in the alumni chapter where I live now and have met some awesome women of all ages that I love to hang out with.

When I was in college I would hear "Theta for a Lifetime" and it didn't really mean anything to me. Now almost 30 years later I understand that it isn't just for the years you are in college but for always. Congrats - I hope you have as many wonderful experiences as I did! :flower:

hugsquared
03-07-2005, 10:53 PM
:goodvibes Again, another old timer but I pledged Kappa Delta and loved every minute of greek life. Congratulations and enjoy the most wonderful college experience to be had and revel in all the life long friends you'll make along the way. GO GREEK!!!!

phisigprincess
03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
To clarify for you cheerdancer, a sorority is known by its national name (ex. Phi Sigma Sigma). Each chapter (or each college group) is identified by a chapter name (ex. Gamma Gamma). It's kinda like I live in Pennsylvania, but specifically I live in Pittsburgh. In terms of sorority, I belong to Phi Sigma Sigma, but in Clarion University we're the Gamma Gamma chapter. Hope that helps!

cheerdancer11
03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey thanks for the clarification! Talk to you later :)

phisigprincess
03-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Ok girls, here's a question. What do you think was the best part or best memory from being in a sorority? (Any sorority cause we're all fun! :) :grouphug: )

SoonerKate
03-09-2005, 01:04 PM
My best memory was our Feast of Roses dinner and the first chapter after initiation! We had never been allowed to see the chapter room before, so it was HUGE.

Ooh..and being a bridesmaid in my sis-mom's wedding. That was AWESOME.

Of course, all of the nights I spent watching Dawson's Creek and Gilmore Girls with 60 girls packed into the TV room weren't bad either. :) I miss being active and living in-house!

gypsydoodlebug
03-09-2005, 02:32 PM
ADPi alumna here...I'm in a wedding in May for one of my sisters. Of her seven bridesmaids, SIX are sisters (the seventh is her cousin). In my wedding, three of five were sisters.

Some of my best memories were of living in the house. I lived there TWO YEARS (fresh/sophmores were required to live on campus the first two years).

My senior year, I was a Rho Chi (rush counselor) during rush. Out of my 12 girls, I only had to tell one she didn't get invited back to any rush parties. It was NO FUN, considering she was one of my favorites and a gorgeous girl. Guess the numbers just didn't work out. It was also sucky having to disassociate from the chapter during that week! Be nice to your Rho Chi! :lovestruc

swatts1
03-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Another old timer here. I pledged Kappa Delta in 1977. My fondest wish was for my little KD legacies to pledge my sorority. Instead, one went AOPi and the other is Phi Mu. They could've been KD's but wanted to make up their own minds. Greek is good!

Diva of Dragons
03-10-2005, 04:33 AM
Hi!
Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Beta Chapter here (pledged in 1988 :earseek: )!!
swatts1: Which school is your daughter an AOPi in?
I've stayed really involved over the years. I was a Rho Chi too....they are now officially Rho Gammas (Recruitment Guides), due to some snit made by a Pharmaceutical Fraternity called Rho Chi :sad2:. Right now, I am the co-Recruitment Advisor for my chapter. I loved the whole experience of being greek! I even met DH at a fraternity party!!! :rotfl: He's an Alpha Epsilon Pi!!

Have a blast!!
Lisa

phisigprincess
03-10-2005, 10:19 AM
:rotfl: I met my DF at a fraternity party too!! Then we got to know each other as we worked on our homecoming float!! It sounds really dorky, but it was so appropriate for me! :) He's a Phi Sigma Kappa and I'm a Phi Sigma Sigma... so we're both Phi Sigs. :)

Davids-Coco
03-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Another Phi Sig here... Beta Omega alumnae. I was archon 2001-02, and am now the BW alumnae association liaison, BW ritual/vice archon advisor, and Portland Alumnae Chapter Archon.

A little reminder, "pledge" is not a correct term. It was new member, but new panhellenic rules are changing it again (see new book coming out) to new sister. The ladies are having fun with what that means for potentials...

And about Pledged... I read it, front to back, and I can tell you that a lot of the information is wrong. The stereotypes perpetuated are bad, but it is also interesting to hear what a "outsider" thinks. For the Phi Sigs, I was greatly amused that she said our password is LITP, which isn't even a secret.

leighe
03-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Delta Delta Delta - can I help ya help ya help ya? I'm an alum but I just had to post. I loved my Greek experience so much! Definitely look into an alumni chapter when you graduate ladies! Enjoy every second. :earboy2:

swatts1
03-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Diva of Dragons, Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. My daughter was AOPi at Vandy.

MScott1851
04-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi, GypsyDoodleBug...Another Alpha Delta Pi here, Zeta Eta chapter...first and finest, baby!

Looking back, I never thought I would end up joining a sorority, I avoided formal rush like the plague my freshman year, and ended up getting a bid during the spring semester. Little did I know what a profound impact that my sorority and my sisters would have on my life...I ended up holding a number of offices, both within my own sorority and in Panhellenic Council, and also served as a Rho Chi my senior year. Dh is a fraternity man as well, a member of Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji) and is still involved as their Purple Legionnaire, which is their advisor.

We wouldn't trade it for anything...and hopefully will have some little legacies to wear blue/white and purple one day!!!

Tinkerbell10403
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Going Greek is smart decision...especially for freshman or transfers. Its a great way to make friends! I think its a shame how many stereotypes there are surrounding sororities! They really are wonderful!

Zeta Love,
Tiffany

KarenAylwood
04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Delta Gamma here! I just graduated in May and I can definitely say that pledging was one of the best decisions of my life.

I'd have to say my best memories are crying at all of the DG weddings I've gone to in the past two years! :goodvibes Also being the head of Recruitment (not rush, ladies :rotfl: ) for two years in a row. Some of the best times of my college experience :banana:

Go DeeGee!! :cool1:

gypsydoodlebug
04-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi, GypsyDoodleBug...Another Alpha Delta Pi here, Zeta Eta chapter...first and finest, baby!

Looking back, I never thought I would end up joining a sorority, I avoided formal rush like the plague my freshman year, and ended up getting a bid during the spring semester. Little did I know what a profound impact that my sorority and my sisters would have on my life...I ended up holding a number of offices, both within my own sorority and in Panhellenic Council, and also served as a Rho Chi my senior year. Dh is a fraternity man as well, a member of Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji) and is still involved as their Purple Legionnaire, which is their advisor.

We wouldn't trade it for anything...and hopefully will have some little legacies to wear blue/white and purple one day!!!

I have a "little legacy" Bella! BTW: meeting a bunch of my sisters for dinner tonight!

PlaneJoy1
04-07-2005, 04:43 PM
I had to sneak over hear for this one.

Zeta Tau Alpha (now alum) from the U of N Florida.

Greek is Great!

Tinkerbell10403
04-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Go Zeta!!

Tinkerbell1013
04-12-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm an Alpha Gamma Delta from Murray State (Gamma Xi) in Kentucky. I LOVE my sisters more than I could ever explain. How these girls have helped shape my college experience is amazing...going Alpha Gam was the best decision I've made.

PrincessCLM
09-13-2005, 09:27 PM
DELTAZETA
My family will say that I was born to be a sorority girl... my friends say that there's no way I'm your "typically sorority girl"

My fav memory would be Senior Week, a week long celebration and goodbye to all the seniors. So much fun and so memorable.

klacey1
09-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm a UMASS Tri Sigma from the now gone Gamma Iota chapter

I'm currently rushing, so I don't know what sorority I'll end up in (fingers crossed), but I had to comment on your avatar-- I am a former PC Friar and just transferred to URI. Go Rhode Island! (I'm a New York native, though!!)

klacey1
10-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Woot for DELTA ZETA!!