PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Vent....

JoiseyMom
02-19-2005, 11:50 AM
What is it with people not reading the payment instructions?? This is not with new ebayers, but with ebayers with at least 50 feedbacks. I specifically say that I take Paypal, but NOT credit cards through Paypal. That I take money orders and cashiers or bank checks, no personal checks. I have had 2 people in the last month send me credit card payments, that I had to deny, then wait another week or longer for payment. The latest person wants out of the deal all together, and I have said no, I will wait for the payment. If I put it in all caps or harsher language, I feel I will turn people off to my auctions. It is really frustrating. The person that sent me a personal check, wanted me to send her the check back, and said she would send me payment, plus the postage for sending her back her check. Did she, no, but she left me positive feedback for an item she never received. I on the other hand left her negative feedback for non payment, and for owing me shipping.

Ok, now that I have vented if feel better!!

On the flip side, I had a winner who was brand new, send me constant emails, including a scan of the money order he sent me. Wow, i was impressed, and thanked him and gave him great feedback.

maggiew
02-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Ive had the same experience. I just keep telling them, "As per my payment terms as listed in the auction ..." It is very frustrating, but I have always received my payments.

Maggie

JoiseyMom
02-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Well the latest person, that wanted out, and I told her no, is going to get me the money order. She just needs to wait to get the money back that she put on her card to pay for paypal. I said I had no problem with that. I am easy as long as they keep me updated about why I haven't received payment yet. But geez, why don't these people read in the first place????

ericamanda01
02-20-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm just curious, why won't you take a credit card payment? I have listed stuff and been paid throught paypal and I am wondering if I should be concerned about credit card payments in the future?

swilshire
02-20-2005, 02:25 PM
If you "upgrade" your Paypal account to take charge cards, they charge you a fee for every transaction after that, whether a charge card is used or not. I choose not to pay the fees since I don't sell very often.

I think some bidders avoid bidding when cards aren't accepted. I don't even like it much myself as a bidder.

Sheila

DMRick
02-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I specifically say that I take Paypal, but NOT credit cards through Paypal.
Just curious..do you use the Paypal logo, that shows credit cards? That usually makes people think you take credit cards. If no, well then, they just don't read.

maggiew
02-20-2005, 03:07 PM
I specifically say that I take Paypal, but NOT credit cards through Paypal.
Just curious..do you use the Paypal logo, that shows credit cards? That usually makes people think you take credit cards. If no, well then, they just don't read.

I DO NOT use the paypal logo and people STILL try to pay with credit cards. They just don't read.

Maggie

JoiseyMom
02-20-2005, 03:42 PM
I DO NOT use the paypal logo and people STILL try to pay with credit cards. They just don't read.

Maggie

I do the same thing. I say I take PayPal, but not credit cards, cash tranfers only. I had a person think that they could use their debit card.

JoiseyMom
02-20-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm just curious, why won't you take a credit card payment? I have listed stuff and been paid throught paypal and I am wondering if I should be concerned about credit card payments in the future?

They charge you a fee. I don't sell enough to be charged fees for using credit cards through paypal. It isn't worth it to me. I also don't want to upgrade my Paypal account to a business account.

EagleHasLanded
02-21-2005, 12:06 AM
<b>Originally Posted By JoiseyMom:</b> If I put it in all caps or harsher language, I feel I will turn people off to my auctions. I hear you, but this is exactly what I have resorted to doing. My payment instructions are larger than my ad text! You should try it, it really has not hindered me.

Another thing, I don't have time for stupidity: If someone e-mails a question to me that is already answered in the text, I delete it and don't even respond. I have purchased a great number of things on eBay, and I will read an ad a dozen times before I e-mail the seller. Most of the people that e-mail questions to me are too lazy to read the ad, so I ignore them. And I sell A LOT of stuff.

Don't let them get you down.

DMRick
02-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Another thing, I don't have time for stupidity: If someone e-mails a question to me that is already answered in the text, .

I answer everybody, and some of my most frustrating question askers have become great clients. Some people just don't understand the tos, no matter how many times they read it. And my tos is pretty clear, I believe. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt, and let them help bid up an item.

PatMcDuck
02-21-2005, 01:28 AM
I take the Paypal credit card payment, I chalk it up to a cost of doing business. I get international winning bids when my auctions say US only. But I usually DO just ship to other ocuntries, it is not that hard. No problems so far.......... Mostly Canada and England. I have one for Belgium to ship this week though. (he contacted me to ask permission to bid first, and price of shipping). I know I can block these, I just have to go in and change a setting.

gm
02-21-2005, 02:34 AM
I now will only accept payments from confirmed address so I went in to PAYPAL and changed it to ASK ME. I wonder how that works because sometimes people with great feedback have unconfirmed address so hopefully this is a better choice than just "NOT ACCEPTED" right?

mamalle
02-21-2005, 07:10 AM
I just gave in and started taking CC payments. I have found that I have more business because of it.

pjlla
02-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Have to kind of laugh at this thread.... My wonderful, sweet, delightful Mom calls me last night and said... "I finally bid on something on Ebay... what do I do if I win?" Laughing, I said "Pay immediately".... of course, her next question was "how do I pay?" She hadn't even read/seen the payment instructions! I was a bit peeved with her. I told her to NEVER bid on an auction without carefully reading the payment instructions, as well as the shipping charges (which she had seen). She bid on two auctions, both of which only accepted Paypal, and of course she has no Paypal account and doesn't want one because she is leary/skeptical of online banking systems and doesn't want to give out any personal information. I ended up paying for the one she won for her with my PayPal account. She was just going to send a check or money order. I told her that wasn't really acceptable unless she had made arrangements BEFORE BIDDING with the seller. As a seller myself, I guess I was really seeing the seller's side of it.

Goes to show even bright, upfront people sometimes just don't get it when it comes to Ebay~!................P

JoiseyMom
02-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Now I have a person that won an auction, and was invoiced several days ago, and still has yet to contact me. I invoiced them again with 48 hours to respond, or I am filing a NPD.

chucknjulie
02-21-2005, 10:11 PM
I have a premiere acct. They just charged me $2.31 for a $69.00 transaction. I don't remember saying that I would take cc's. I guess I must have. Oh well. I have to figure out how to direct that money somewhere. So far, the money that comes in there, I have just spent again on ebay :)

Az Pirates
02-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I now will only accept payments from confirmed address so I went in to PAYPAL and changed it to ASK ME. I wonder how that works because sometimes people with great feedback have unconfirmed address so hopefully this is a better choice than just "NOT ACCEPTED" right?

Just a case in point - I have had a paypal acct. for several years now. Verified and with a confirmed address. All of a sudden it started showing up as unconfirmed on e-bay, although paypal still showed it as confirmed. Took me almost a month and more than a dozen e-mails back and forth for them to figure out what the problem was and correct it.

4fordisney
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Last fall was terrible for me on ebay. I listed 10 items and out of the 10 seven items were won...I received payment right away for 3 of the items...then I had to go back and forth with the other 4 to get payment. I never did get payment on 2 of them.

I believe at least 2 of them were playing dumb so that they could delay payment, because I have never seen such stupid questions (how do you use PayPal? when the person had a business run with PayPal or where can I get a moneyorder?). I would e-mail a polite answer right away and they would wait at least 48 hours and then they would e-mail me another stupid question. It took me 4 weeks to get payment for those 2 (different people, but the same kind of stupid questions...there must be a club of which I am unaware :sad2: ).

Then one didn't respond at all and she had excellent feedback...she didn't respond to ebay either...that one made me think something terrible happened to her. Then one kept sending me cc payments when I stated clearly in my ad that I did not accept them and I also do NOT use the PayPal logo. So then she e-mailed me asking if she could use a debit and I said no and she never responded again.

I had to file NPB on both those. I was very discouraged, but I am doing it again...I don't give up easily...it might put me off a bit, but I won't give up. :cheer2:

cinamin27
02-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Another thing, I don't have time for stupidity: If someone e-mails a question to me that is already answered in the text, I delete it and don't even respond.

WOW ~ that is horrible customer service, which if you are selling things on ebay then in essence, that is a business, businesses wont last if there is a lack in Customer Service.

If I ever walked into a store and even though my question was silly or was basically already answered in black & white & the person I asked my question to looked at me & walked away deciding to ignore me because my question was in their eyes stupid, I would NEVER EVER spend a penny in that store!! I'm not understanding why you would basically to the same thing to a virtual customer. To each his own I guess. :confused3

nuke
02-22-2005, 01:07 PM
I agree with the above poster that it is rude not to answer a question that is posed to you.
I think some buyers send questions just to see if the seller is responsive. There is nothing worse than buying or selling something and having no communication.

sequoia
02-22-2005, 04:39 PM
just wanted to add my little two cents.... as much as I don't care for ebay, I do infrequently play the game and bid/win auctions. Yet I will ONLY bid-on/pay for an auction if it accepts credit cards (which is almost always through paypal). i have a checking acct but no checks (haven't written one in years!), i hate having to pay for money orders, and i really don't like the idea of linking up my bank account to anything (paypal, whatnot). :confused3 But you can be darn sure that I read the description very thoroughly to make sure that the seller accepts Paypal! If they don't, then I don't bid (prolly didn't need the item anyway!).

maybe i would feel differently if i was a seller and had to pay the paypal fees.

as for customer service, i would be very unhappy if someone didn't reply to my email! in fact, my biggest complaint about ebay is how automated it's become! you 'win' something, get an automated email saying Pay Now!, pay and items arrives in the mail. what happened to the good old days when you actually had to email the seller, say hi, this is my address...to which they replied Thanks!! Call me crazy, but I miss the Thanks! pirate: