PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with airfare so HIGH?

northern michigan
02-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Airfare seems to be at least double what we paid over the Christmas '04 holiday whether I search for a hopeful Easter trip or our planned Thanksgiving trip. This is the case when I search multiple small-mid size airports or even Chicago and Detroit. Anyone else having this problem? Any thoughts as to the prospects for a more reasonable fare in the future? Should I just bag Easter and plan on driving for Thansgiving? :headache:

JanaD
02-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Join the crowd. I live in the Kansas City area and airfare from here (for a potential trip in May) has been staggering. Even Southwest wants $300 roundtrip (which is at least double what I have paid in the past for trips). It appears that the East Coast folks are the only ones who can actually afford (or get a great deal) on the airlines to Orlando these days.

northern michigan
02-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Airfare deals are so relative. $300 from my hometown is unheard of. We went via $363 at Christmas and $400 three years ago (now $500-700). We got $255 over a year ago in Grand Rapids, a much bigger airport than ours (now $400-500). We're a family of four and would love to fly into MCO for less than $1,500! Otherwise, I think it's a 24 hour drive.

Wish I lived in Fl
02-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Price of oil. Further increases expected with OPEC cutting production, China increasing consumption.

punkin
02-15-2005, 05:04 PM
JANAD, I just got my sister tickets for early May from Kansas City to Fort Lauderdale for only $149 on Continental. That was cheaper than Southwest. Try them for your dates to Orlando and see how you do.

Raysplus1
02-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I am wondering if it is due to Spring Break. I plan on waiting until Spring Break is over before I buy my tickets for our July trip (unless there is a drastic change in price of course).