PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Modem

skycon
02-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Anyone know if you can bring a laptop with wireless modem and get connection? Just wondering if Disney has gone that far yet with their technology or if you still have to sign on to a computer and pay their fee. It is awesome where I live bc you can go to local coffee shops and have free inet access if you have a wireless modem. Wouldn't that be awesome if you could do it on board. Think of all the cruise reports we would get. I am not sure if it is even possible .... not all that into computers. I just have one. :teeth:

disneylover5
02-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Still need to sign up and pay.....no wireless yet :badpc: :badpc:

I bet that is coming,
Lisa

skycon
02-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Thank you. I hope it comes by September when I cruise the eastern. If anyone has connections to the tech people on the Magic check into it for me. Thanks.

RickW
02-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Still need to sign up and pay.....no wireless yetMake no mistake, however: If/when they get wireless access it will still be "sign up and pay". I wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper, only more convienent.

MarkRG
02-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Make no mistake, however: If/when they get wireless access it will still be "sign up and pay". I wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper, only more convienent.
Absolutely true, don't expect free hotspots, they already have hotspots at certain WDW resorts and those are pay to use too.

smchan
02-06-2005, 11:52 PM
I presume you mean WiFi? If so, it wasn't available as of early December.

As for wireless modems, I have been able to get a weak cellular signal during the day at sea on the 4 day Wonder, so a wireless modem might work as well.

Sam

Donalds_best_pal
02-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Tom told me to expect wireless in the future someday. The new carnival ship is the first totally wifi ship. Also the new freedom of the seas coming in 06 will be another first were everything on the ship will be operated via wifi. I am sure Disney will get it someday but it still seems to be new to cruising. It also for sure will be a pay as you go or an unlimited thing to.

Matt

tvguy
02-07-2005, 12:29 AM
No doubt if they add it it will be more expensive than the current system. Not only will they have to install all the equipment on board, but they will have to add satellite channels to get all the data back to land.
As for me, my laptop and my cell phone will remain home. I'm on vacation. And I'm not willing to risk losing or damaging a $2000 laptop when $19 worth of memory sticks will give me enough storage for all my pictures until I get home.

MarkRG
02-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Actually, they already have the bandwidth capacity to support the ship. They upgraded the communications hardware on the last refit of both ships. It's kept in those two round topped towers on top deck forward if you didn't know. Also the ship is wired for ethernet, you'll find an unused jack in your cabin at the desk for it. All they'd have to do is hook it up, and install repeaters if they wanted to do WiFi.

skycon
02-07-2005, 08:38 AM
thanks for all your relpies. My husband gave me a hard time for asking since he does all the network communications stuff for a international shipping company and installs all the sat and wifi stuff on his vessells. He was watching the game last night when the question came up so I knew better than to bother him. He got a good laugh from me though. Thanks a bunch.

DrCavin
02-07-2005, 09:28 AM
The Magic does have some wireless access... only it is just for employees :-( They were using it on the sportsdeck to check kids in/out of the clubs one day....

I agree they will not offer it for free, but for the convience.