PDA

View Full Version : Palo Ressie Booking Walk-thru Please

DutchsMommy
02-04-2005, 10:52 AM
The one thing I really want for our upcoming cruise is Palo ressies for Valentine's day dinner. Can someone pls walk me through the process to get these - when can I go, where do I go, any specific things I should remember?

natsmom125
02-04-2005, 02:57 PM
When you check in at the counter, you will be given a Navigator(a schedule of events). It will list the time and place. Usually at 1:00 in Rockin' Bar D on The Magic and I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the bar on The Wonder...but the Navigator will tell you.

As soon as you get on the ship, when you come through the Mickey Ears, get your KTWC swiped, your picture made and your name announced....go to this place immediately!!

The last time we were on The Magic(just a month ago), they had a board of all the nights and times available as you walk in the door. Look at that board, pick your night and time, if you haven't already decided. There will be CM's sitting at tables for the different nights. Go to the night you have decided on and they will set you up. They will ask to see you KTWC and ask your name and cabin number.

It's relatively simple, just go there as soon as you get on the ship and you shouldn't have any problems.

Phyllis

thomprod
02-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Assuming you're requesting dinner reservations:

First, decide your first, second and third choices of night and time to eat. When you turn in your cruise documents at the terminal, they will hand you a mini-Navigator which will show where the reservations will be taken. Have one person from your party go to where the reservations are being taken immediately upon boarding. Upon arrival in the res room, there will be a chart showing which days/times still have space available. If your first choice is taken, you will still have two alternatives. There will be three tables taking reservations, each handling a couple of days, with clearly-posted signs. When you get to the table, ask for the day/time you wish and give them your KTTW card and stateroom number. They will hand you a small card with your reservation on it. If all of your days/times are already full when you get there, you can ask to be put on a waiting list for cancellations.

If making reservations for afternoon tea or brunch, there will be a separate line for these and the chances of getting in are even better than dinner.

All that being said, I have made reservations on two cruises now with no problem at all. Good luck.

Prncss Aurora
02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
So in order to get dinner and tea/brunch reservations you need to get into two seperate lines? One for the dinner and then another for the tea/brunch?

umber
02-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Would it make sense to have my husband go make the ressie for Palo while I head to Flounder's Reef to reserve a spot for my daughter? Do both parents need to be present at Flounders? I imagine that MANY people are planning on ressies for Valentine's Day dinner.

mickeyfanmom
02-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Hi DutchsMommy-

If that is the one thing that you really want- I would try and add the REAS package (if it's offered on your itinterary as I'm not really sure which you are on) and have the ability to pre-book in advance. I am sure that Valentine's Day will be very much in demand and the ability to pre-book would help with you mission significantly!

Another thing to keep in mind is that Palo is booked up sometimes even when it doesn't look full. Someone on my recent cruise told me that they weren't able to book because there were no resies left. Then when we went for both brunch and dinner, we noticed quite a few open tables. Our server explained that in order to provide the level of service required, not all tables are booked at the same time. Plus, people tend to linger over dinner in Palo and not take off right away like in the other dining rooms. So they don't take resies for the same table back to back in a quick time period.

Do put your name on the wait list though if you don't get your first choice and be flexible. We heard of quite a few people who got called this way.

Good luck!

SandraLee
02-05-2005, 08:06 AM
So in order to get dinner and tea/brunch reservations you need to get into two seperate lines? One for the dinner and then another for the tea/brunch?

Yes, it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. We had to 'take a number and have a seat' to book our dinner reservations. There was a line, but we thought that was for those whose numbers have been called. So, we waited until our number was called and made our dinner for what we wanted. Then, we asked about Brunch. They told me to get in the end of the line. I thought that was crazy and said so. He walked over to the person booking brunch and took the reservation folder and wrote me in there.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they just can't hook up a few computers and book the reservations like a doctors office. They were using a paper folder to book the reservations when I was there last. It was the most inefficient and confusing method I have ever seen.

natsmom125
02-05-2005, 10:51 AM
On our cruise 2 months ago, I did exactly as I posted above.

I walked into Rockin Bar D

I had already decided on what night I wanted

I looked at the board that had been set up

that night(and every other night) was available

I found the table that had the night I wanted

I went to that table

I booked my reservation

I asked about brunch

I was directed to another table

I walked right over and I booked brunch on the day I wanted

and I left

All of this took about 5, 10 minutes tops

I have been booking Palo reservations for 7 years now and I've never been given a number, never been asked to wait. One of the reasons they do the ressies on paper is that I've seen people stand in front of me and change the
day and time, 3 or 4 times....that would slow the lines down. All tables in
Palo are not usually booked, as a previous poster said, the reason is the level of service. Our server, Kristian, only had 3 tables and I think only one table turned over while we were there. If one server is serving 5-6 tables, this is the service in a regular restaurant..not Palo.

Just make sure you go to Palo IMMEDIATELY after boarding.

That is my experience....
Phyllis

DrCavin
02-05-2005, 04:48 PM
It took us longer to book brunch than it did dinner. Only one person was handling the brunch reservations & 3 for dinner. We waited about 10 minutes to do the brunch reservations & about 30 seconds for dinner.

DutchsMommy
02-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Well we're back and I managed to get my coveted Valentine's Palo dinner ressie without a problem. I waited outside the Waveband's bar for about 20 mins with a few other cruisers (mostly smart DISers!) until the doors opened. As mentioned, there were several CMs at different tables which represented different days. As Valentine's was on a Monday, I happened to be in the Monday and Wednesday line. Because Wednesday is the sea day on the 4 night I was able to book the Monday dinner and the Wednesday brunch at the same time. All was well. Thanks all for your info - I feel like a veteran now LOL! :teeth:

DutchsMommy
02-25-2005, 06:31 PM
PS - obviously still trying to work on my siggi pic - wish me luck! :rolleyes: