PDA

View Full Version : Is there a certain minimum amount that is placed on hold on your CC?

princesspumpkin
02-04-2005, 07:09 AM
I can't remember. When you establish your onboard account, is there a pre-set amount of money that they put on hold on your CC? Or can you tell them the amount. Also, does it make a difference if it's a 7 or 4 day cruise because ours is 4 day. And, how do you handle setting up a cash account? Thanks

markšoš
02-04-2005, 07:20 AM
There is not a preset amount charged to your credit card. Instead, whenever your account balance gets over a certain amount (I believe it is $400), DCL charges your credit account.

Thus, DCL does not save up all your stateroom charges and the process only one charge to your CC. It is very possible to have multiple charges to your CC during your cruise.

If you want to use cash, you can give them cash up front or after the fact. Cash up front would offset any stateroom charges made during the cruise. Cash after the fact at the end of the cruise would cover any stateroom charges. If necessary, DCL will credit back your CC if you pay cash at the end of the cruise.

princesspumpkin
02-04-2005, 07:24 AM
So are you saying that no hold at all is put on your card in the beginning, and say if I only spend $150 on the cruise, that would be charged on the day we disembark?

cjsmith
02-04-2005, 07:42 AM
They may get a pre-authorization for a certain amount though, I'm not sure. I know at the Disney deluxe hotels they do get a pre-auth. for $1500 whenever we check it. I inquired about this and was told that they know they can at least charge this much onto my credit card and when I do they will go back and get another pre-auth. Whenever I look over my bills from the cruises I do see that go in and now and again and charge my Amex whatever I've charged up until that point like the other poster said.
Maybe you could call them and find out the exact answer.

Jillpie
02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
But if you wanted to go ALL cash, and not even give a CC up front, that is o.k., right? Like if I wanted to give them 300.00 to start on our 4 day cruise, I can do that without giving a CC at all, right?

mmouse37
02-04-2005, 10:21 AM
The amount on the Wonder is less than the amount of the Magic. The Magic is around $400.00 (when you reach this amount they automatically put it through to the charge card).

The Wonder is much less ...if I can remember around $200.00 (when you hit this amount they will put the charges through on your charge card).

But, yes, you can put all cash on the account and if you don't use it all they will refund it.

So are you saying that no hold at all is put on your card in the beginning, and say if I only spend $150 on the cruise, that would be charged on the day we disembark?

Yes, the about statement is true.

MJ

LAMPSKIES
02-04-2005, 10:29 AM
On our last 3 sailings I used my "Bank Card" debit card and the daily max is 1500.00 (set by the bank) That is what I was told when they swiped it in the beginning of our sailings......no money was ever "put on hold". Just everytime we spent 400.00 the card was charged that evening.....

Jillpie
02-04-2005, 10:48 AM
The Wonder is much less ...if I can remember around $200.00 (when you hit this amount they will put the charges through on your charge card).

MJ

I guess what I was asking was, do you HAVE to even give them the CC info. at all in the beginning if you are going all on cash? I plan on settling my account on a daily basis, I love having it 0.00 at the end of the day.

jrabbit
02-04-2005, 11:06 AM
One thing to remember is that if you book DCL excursions they charge those to your account on the first day, so there can be a substaintial hit on your "available credit" at the very beginning of the cruise.

mmouse37
02-04-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't believe you "have" to give them any CC info. Just ask at the check-in counter in the terminal and tell them you want to leave cash, because that is where they take the payment authorization form and credit card info.

MJ