PDA

View Full Version : Disney Cruise Solo?

crazy4wdw
02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Has anyone out there been on a Disney cruise solo? I am scheduled on the May 15 Wonder Cruise. The original plan was to take my neice along with me as her graduation present but due to circumstances, she now can not go.

I was going to cancel the cruise, but then began thinking that I might try it alone. My greatest fear is having to eat with people I do not know. I am going to have to decide soon as my final payment is due the first week of March. Also, does anyone know if I go solo, will the price drop for the cruise or will I have to pay for two people as I am already booked?

Thanks!

jweiss
02-03-2005, 11:52 AM
There will be a few meetings for single/solo cruises, so you may be able to link up with others. There are a lot of options for dining, so if you're not comfortable with who you're dining with, you do have options. I have cruised three times as a single parent, which I know is different then going all alone, but I would do it!!!! Just think, you could do exactly what YOU want to do, when YOU want to do it!!!!

figment52
02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I've done it and been fine but I agree, the biggest concern I had was meals. I finally decided tht if I hated my table mates there were other ways to get food. My tables mates were great. The cruise staff in the dining room quickly identified me as a single so seemed to go out of there way to make sure I was not alone at meals and meshed with my table mates. Activities, lots of couples split up and go separate way to tthose so being by myself made no difference there.

The downside - the cost. The single rate is approximately 180% of th cost of one person in a two person cabin. You will be paying about 20% less than if your niece were going with you. DCL is not alone in the single upcharge, all cruise line do it. The difference is the rate charged.

Hope this helps you decision

mickeyfan1
02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
DCL charges 175% of the per person double rate for solo. At least that's what they told me and booked me for. If you want to go, and I do recommend it, hop on over to the meest board and see who is sailing on that day. You can meet up with them online ahead of time and maybe find other solo travelers. As far as dining, you may get seated at a table for 6 or 8, or fewer. There is no telling. You can have room service every night, but the whole dining rotation is part of the DCL experience. I Agree that if you find your dinner companions not to your liking, it's only for that meal, and at least suffer through it to see the Animators Palette show. You can also dine at topsiders. You can even go to Palo!

GorshGoofy
03-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm planning a solo cruise Land/Sea trip for October 27 -- November 3. I would be on the Disney Wonder October 30 --November 3. I share some of the same concerns about meals. I'm also interested in going scuba diving. Any one out there who has been diving. Did you have problems getting a buddy? What did you think of the scuba excursion provider? Any other advice?

CarolAnnC
03-03-2005, 03:40 PM
As Mickeyfan1 said, check out the Cruise Meets board. I have made many friends through the DIS on my various cruises. Getting together for a DIS Meet during sailaway is fantastic, and you might find some new friends to hook up with for various activities throughout the cruise. I would definitely still go..

kcashner
03-03-2005, 03:48 PM
There are a few "solo" events scheduled--mostly lunches with a cruise staff moderator. As for tablemates--if you hate them, you can always ask to be moved.

The cost is the biggest factor. Yes, you pay 175% of the standard single fare. Guess I'm just used to this as I've always had to pay adult fare for my daughter since the prices are based on 2 adults per cabin....it always seemed unfair to pay adult fare for a 4 year old, but that's the rules. Most cruise lines charge a hefty "single supplement." Unfortunately, if you find a companion to go now, they would have to pay the current rate rather than just changing the name on your existing ressie--or that's what DCL told me when I asked about this in September. It was yes, I could change my travelling companion, but not at the existing fare even though I was the main name on the cabin. New person, new rate.

So...you need to decide whether it's better to go now as a solo or maybe take your niece later......

TinkersMagicDust
03-03-2005, 03:50 PM
I had the same happen to us as my friend dad got sick. I just rebooked the trip so you all can go together. December is a great cheap month to go and you get to see the Very Merry mickey Christmas Party if you buy a ticket..
Which will go on sell in May..
I think you should wait..
Mary