PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if this is Crazy Re: Rentals, Transfers

agotta
02-03-2005, 10:03 AM
So here is our new plan to save money. We originally were going to rent a car from the 2nd through the 10th of April, staying at Comfort Inn and Suites in cocoa beach, leaving the car there and then driving back after our cruise on the 10th (flight doesn't leave until 4:30ish.)

To save money I thought we could rent the car from the 2nd to the 7th, that way we can have it while we are in WDW. Then return the car to budget the morning of our cruise and rent a smaller car just for the day of the 10th, since I don't want to spend the day sitting in the airport. Here is the difference.

Option #1 $240 for rental car, $100 for hotel at Cocoa Beach
Option #2 180 for rental car, $35 for rental car on the last day, and switched to a cheaper hotel for about $60 (since we don't need the park and cruise deal).

Am I making things too complicated?? Please help!!

Amanda

Memaw2Wm
02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
What I did last summer was just to rent a car for the entire week; that way I got the weekly rate. During our 3 day cruise I parked it at Port Canaveral in Disney's lot ($30).

It was probably more expensive than having two rentals, but I was looking for the convenience on not having to return the rental, pick up a new rental and then return it at MCO.

As it turned out we ended up debarking at Port Everglades due to Hurricance Frances and were bused back to PC ... if we didn't have the rental parked at PC we probably could have gotten a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale instead of dealing with the 3 hours bus ride back to PC, then the drive to MCO ... but who would have guessed our three day cruise would be extended to five days and we'd debark at PE???

Anyhow, I intend to do the same thing in December ... rent a car for a week then park it at PC ... one nice thing was that we were able to leave our dirty clothes and souveniers from WDW in the car.

HTH!

agotta
02-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok, now I am thinking about parking at the port. Will it be $30 or $40?? Since it is $10/day and it will be Thur-Sund??

mackymaddyconnorsmom
02-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I would return the car and then get a new one. It really isnt that much of a hassle and if something would happen to the rental car while you were on the cruise. (it gets hit, stolen or wont start) You wouldn't have anything to worry about or any claims to submit

amy2girls
02-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Amanda,

Hi its Amy, Just thought you might be interested............ I just got a mini van for 8 days the 2nd through the 10th through the southwest site for $195 plus taxes for $250 total using the costco code. We plan to keep it the whole week and park at the port and from what I have read is secure. I think planning is very fun but I am driving myself crazy planning the details.
Amy :earboy2:

faireygod mother
02-03-2005, 01:28 PM
This is exactly what we did. We also packed two suitcases. One for WDW and theother for the cruise. We left them in the van and it made life easier all the way around. On the 3 day (Thurs-Sun) it was 30.00.

videogal1
02-03-2005, 01:44 PM
So here is our new plan to save money. We originally were going to rent a car from the 2nd through the 10th of April, staying at Comfort Inn and Suites in cocoa beach, leaving the car there and then driving back after our cruise on the 10th (flight doesn't leave until 4:30ish.)

To save money I thought we could rent the car from the 2nd to the 7th, that way we can have it while we are in WDW. Then return the car to budget the morning of our cruise and rent a smaller car just for the day of the 10th, since I don't want to spend the day sitting in the airport. Here is the difference.

Option #1 $240 for rental car, $100 for hotel at Cocoa Beach
Option #2 180 for rental car, $35 for rental car on the last day, and switched to a cheaper hotel for about $60 (since we don't need the park and cruise deal).

Am I making things too complicated?? Please help!!

Amanda

Sounds like it could work...but, unless you plan to go off-site, you could skip the car at WDW.

salbythec
02-03-2005, 02:26 PM
we are going on the 4 day wonder and staying at AKL the night before and 2 days after the cruise. (April
I rented a car from Alamo using a costco code and the code from this board (dreams unlimited) and I am paying 133.60! :cool1: Its for a week!

sophie1
02-03-2005, 02:48 PM
What codes did you use and where did you find them? :wave2: :wave2:

salbythec
02-03-2005, 03:11 PM
I was able to use two codes, one was from the dreams unlimted site (on this board) and the other was from costco. I used their winter/spring travel magazine. You have to be a member to use this code.

I used alamo's site and got the best price by far using these two codes! :banana:
Any questions feel free to Pm me

debtman7
02-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Priceline is great for rental cars too, since unlike airlines and hotels you don't really care who you deal with (usually). Bidding for travel reports are showing $21 for a minivan and $14 for a midsize, which are pretty good rates. Depends on demand at the time you are travelling of course.