PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever done NASA before sailing

faireygod mother
02-02-2005, 01:59 PM
We are not leaving till next year , but I am already planning. We are interested in doing NASA the day before. Has anyone ever done this before?

Where do you recommend we stay?

TIA Dee

MrsMork
02-02-2005, 02:16 PM
We went to Kennedy Space Center in Dec. It is very near the Port. Plan on staying near the port at any of the recommended places from other threads. We drove from Orlando to the Space Center and back as we did it in the midst of our WDW days. We did enjoy the Space Center and if you have any interest at all in the space program, science and such it should be a good side trip for you.

chasbos
02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
We just did this last week! We were on the Jan 23 Wonder and went to KSC the day before. We were staying at the Radisson and had no vehicle so we called Art's Shuttle up and they took us and picked us up for $50. The only problem we had was that the Astronaut Hall of Fame is not at the same location as the KSC main entrance so we could not do the simulator rides. It was a nice way to spend the day as we do not do very good just sitting around while on vacation!

rejobako
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
We did the NASA complex a few years ago after disembarking a Carnival ship. It was definitely worth seeing, and we didn't even sign up for the bus tour out to the launch pads and assembly building (it takes a couple of hours, and we didn't think our little one was going to make it without melting down).

ivanova
02-02-2005, 03:21 PM
we plan on doing KSC on Sept 3 after we disembark the repo cruise in Port Canaveral ... we'll have several rental cars & just drive up the road to KSC once we get off the ship, and then into Orlando. :)

DCLgodess
02-02-2005, 03:38 PM
did NASA, but not after a cruise. We went one year we visited WDW. it was awesome. it's definetly worth going to see. so go check it out.

Disneybridein2k3
02-03-2005, 06:42 AM
We are not leaving till next year , but I am already planning. We are interested in doing NASA the day before. Has anyone ever done this before?

TIA Dee

Dee - I'll let you know about this when we get back -- my brother-in-law is a head engineer on one of the space ships and is tickled that I'm finally going to visit NASA instead of Disney this trip! We are actually doing NASA on the Saturday we disembark since doing a park before our 5:00pm flight seems a little too tight. We are sailing 2/5-2/12 and NASA 2/12. I'll update when I get back...

Stacy

LoveMickey
02-03-2005, 06:55 AM
We did KSC the day before our Wonder trip in December.

We had flown in the night (11 pm arrival) before and stayed just north of the airport. We rented a car at the airport and took off for KSC early Saturday am.

We arrived around 9:30. We only were able to do the bus tour, which was quite long, before we had to leave around 2 pm.

We then drove to the Radisson for our over night stay before the cruise on Sunday.

This was easy to do.

Ariel Wanna-be
02-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know how long it takes to tour KSC? Can it be done in one day? My DS is a NASA-phile and is REALLY excited that we're going to tour KSC after our cruise (In fact, he seems more excited about seeing the Saturn V than he does about seeing Mickey!)

The plan is to tour KSC after getting off the ship, then be at DW for about 6:00 that evening. Is this possible? Thanks!

chasbos
02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
We arrived at the KSC around 10:30 and we were not done until 4:30. We did not get to all of the shows but did do the bus tour. We also only stopped for a drink and a snack - no time for lunch!

So if you get right off the ship at 8:00 and head straight there you can likely be done around 4:00 and have to time to get to DW at 6:00.