PDA

View Full Version : Help needed! Paying for a room using DVC points vs. getting a great promo code

2kidsnutsfordisney
01-25-2005, 02:40 PM
I have a weird question and need help. We have booked rooms at All Star Music and CB in years past but last year booked a stay at the BC using DVC points. We are not DVC members (would love to be) but purchased points from a DVC member and stayed at the BC very cheap by doing it this way. Why do more people not book rooms this way? Am I missing something here? Are you able to get cheap rooms at the BC, AKL, Poly, etc. cheaper than you would be able to if you used DVC points? We are hoping to go in 2006 and I am just curious if we could stay at a Deluxe cheaper than we did using DVC points.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me see things more clearly :sunny:

Dis2times
01-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I have a weird question and need help. We have booked rooms at All Star Music and CB in years past but last year booked a stay at the BC using DVC points. We are not DVC members (would love to be) but purchased points from a DVC member and stayed at the BC very cheap by doing it this way. Why do more people not book rooms this way? Am I missing something here? Are you able to get cheap rooms at the BC, AKL, Poly, etc. cheaper than you would be able to if you used DVC points? We are hoping to go in 2006 and I am just curious if we could stay at a Deluxe cheaper than we did using DVC points.

I've wondered the same thing. We are renting points from a member and our stay at VWL will be super, super cheap. Maybe it is the risk factor? Who knokws...

Lisa

goofy4tink
01-25-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't think a lot of people even know about this. Also, maybe people are hesitant to send money to a stranger and then 'hope' everything works out okay. But, it is a great way to stay in a nicer resort and have a bigger room. I wonder how many people bought DVC points after renting points.

2kidsnutsfordisney
01-25-2005, 03:10 PM
If that is the case perhaps I should be quiet :sunny: We would love to become DVC members (just can't swing it at the moment) We also became terribly spoiled. After our recent stay at the BC and receiving DVC member treatment I'm afraid that we may not be able to stay anywhere else! I was also very skeptical about the unknown of sending the money off to someone that I had never met but luckily it all worked out great! Thanks for the input.

CarolMN
01-25-2005, 03:21 PM
There are some disadvantages to renting a reservation (points) from a DVC member:

* Most rental transactions are non-refundable - If you rent points, be sure to understand what the member's cancellation & refund policies are. They are most definitely not the same as Disney's!

* It is almost always NOT a good value to rent points for Friday & Saturday nights. The cash price from CRO is nearly always a better deal. If you combine a CRO-booked stay with a DVC rental stay, you might end up having to change rooms.

* You do not get daily housekeeping (including daily fresh towels) when you rent from a DVC member. It is available for a fee if you want it. $25/day for a studio, more for the larger rooms.

* The DVC member retains complete control over the reservation. About all you can do is confirm that there is one under your name. Nothing to stop an unscrupulous member from keeping your $$ and cancelling the reservation. Fortunately, there have been very, very few renting problems reported by those who rent via the DIS, but you do need to "take a leap of faith" that the member you work with is honest. The owner also bears the risk of losing points / not getting all the $$.

Anyway, renting isn't for everyone, but it certainly can be a very good value for some.

Best wishes -

Dis2times
01-25-2005, 03:41 PM
There are some disadvantages to renting a reservation (points) from a DVC member:

* Most rental transactions are non-refundable - If you rent points, be sure to understand what the member's cancellation & refund policies are. They are most definitely not the same as Disney's!

* It is almost always NOT a good value to rent points for Friday & Saturday nights. The cash price from CRO is nearly always a better deal. If you combine a CRO-booked stay with a DVC rental stay, you might end up having to change rooms.

* You do not get daily housekeeping (including daily fresh towels) when you rent from a DVC member. It is available for a fee if you want it. $25/day for a studio, more for the larger rooms.

* The DVC member retains complete control over the reservation. About all you can do is confirm that there is one under your name. Nothing to stop an unscrupulous member from keeping your $$ and cancelling the reservation. Fortunately, there have been very, very few renting problems reported by those who rent via the DIS, but you do need to "take a leap of faith" that the member you work with is honest. The owner also bears the risk of losing points / not getting all the $$.

Anyway, renting isn't for everyone, but it certainly can be a very good value for some.

Best wishes -

I was also nervous about it (will be making first payment as soon as our confirmation letter arrives) but I asked for references and they have turned out to be outstanding. This is my DVC member's first rental, so she gave me character references, but they are outstanding. Keep that in mind too.

A friend of ours was going to buy a $1000 item from someone he had not met (might have been ebay) and he decided to spend $50 to do a background check. That's a bit much for me, but it eased his fears. I don't feel the need to do that in our situation.

BTW, we dropped a Friday/Sat from our dates and saved a ton. It was double the points per day for Fri and Sat. We'll just stay a night at WL before heading to the VWL.

HTH

Lisa

Traveliz
01-25-2005, 03:42 PM
I love to rent points too but the biggest disadvantage is most often there is no cancellation or refund possible at all...so plans have to be really set.

Otherwise it is a great deal.

Liz

Dis2times
01-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I love to rent points too but the biggest disadvantage is most often there is no cancellation or refund possible at all...so plans have to be really set.

Otherwise it is a great deal.

Liz

Has anyone ever tried to get travel insurance to cover a rental stay? Or any kind of insurance?

Lisa

gigi1313
01-25-2005, 03:56 PM
what dissuaded us from renting dvc vs. booking two rooms at a value or mod was the number of beds, housekeeping and losing all you save by "paying" for weekend nights... yep, dvc studio sleeps four, but two of those are on a sleeper sofa... housekeeping can be brought in at an additional cost and we'd have to split our stay at least once if not twice to avoid high point weekend nights!

paults
01-25-2005, 05:16 PM

In your post you say you rent DVC pts for BC are your sure you don't mean BCV. BC would be 32 pts a night in value. BCV is 12 pts a nt in value for studios.
Please lets us know what you paid and for what type of room

2kidsnutsfordisney
01-25-2005, 05:20 PM
In your post you say you rent DVC pts for BC are your sure you don't mean BCV. BC would be 32 pts a night in value. BCV is 12 pts a nt in value for studios.
Please lets us know what you paid and for what type of room

My fault, you are right it is BCV. We did get a studio for the four of us. A queen bed and pull out sofa sleeper. It worked out perfect for us! Sorry for the confusion :sunny:

FLORIDAFUNFAMILY
01-25-2005, 05:52 PM
I have rented in the past and it turned out great for sunday thru thursday,
checking out friday. After 5 days I was ready for a change any way, Your plans do need to be solid as no back-out , recently got a bcv studio to add a day to our weekend for $84, I think that was a great deal that includes everything. I don't think I could get out of the value resorts for much less than that. A number of people put dvc on ebay and they can really be out there on price but most of the people on the boards are owners that for one reason or another can't use there points and share them with others very reasonably and are nice people that are a pleasure to deal with :cool1:

""BUT AS ALWAYS BUYER BEWARE""

VickiVM
01-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I have rented twice now and both transactions were pretty easy. Although the per night rate on rented points can be remarkably cheap (keep in mind, you don't pay tax on rental points), I would advise anyone renting to really research before jumping in. Many people renting on the trade forums are asking upwards of $12 per point when the going rate for the most part is apprx. $10 per point. Consider the seasons you are looking at - holiday vs. value season. Some resorts are more requested than others and warrant a higher per point cost (such as Epcot resorts during Christmas time). Also, if that person is a regular DIS'er, than reading previous posts by that person may make you feel more comfortable when dealing with this sort of transaction.

And whatever terms you and the owner settle on - get it in writing!! That way there are no surprises or misunderstanding about payment, dates, etc.

zippehsmom
01-25-2005, 07:59 PM
This will be my third time renting points. I have to say that each time has gone great so far.

You do have to absolutely sure about your vacation plans because it is not something that can be gotten out of easily.

We are splitting our stay so, 5 nights works out great for us. My goal is to someday own DVC, however; that is about 3 years off right now. I keep telling my DH as soon as my van is paid for, DVC here I come :teeth: . Until that time I have been happy renting. You can't beat the price.

zippehsmom

RoyalCanadian
01-25-2005, 10:44 PM
what dissuaded us from renting dvc vs. booking two rooms at a value or mod was the number of beds, housekeeping and losing all you save by "paying" for weekend nights... yep, dvc studio sleeps four, but two of those are on a sleeper sofa... housekeeping can be brought in at an additional cost and we'd have to split our stay at least once if not twice to avoid high point weekend nights!

As a DVC member, I know all about the increased points for weekend stays -- but I cannot fathom how you can believe that one can "lose all you save by paying for weekend nights."

Take for example our January 4-11 visit to SSR in a 1 BR. It "cost" us 182 points. The same room for the same time was quoted online at $2731.82, taxes included. To rent those points would cost a non-DVCer upwards of $1800. No tax. That $900+ savings is much better in a renters pocket than the pocket of CRO.

The daily housekeeping excuse is a non-starter, as well. The 1 BR has a stackable washer/dryer. When we wanted clean towels we put the wash in during the day and dried the towels when we got back in the evening. Clean towels come morning shower time. Even paying the $30/day for daily housekeeping on a 1BR isn't going to break the budget with the $900 premium in the renter's pocket.

DD slept on the sleeper sofa in the 1BR at SSR. There were times when I fell asleep on the bed with her -- it's very comfortable and nothing like the "Iron Maiden" sleeper sofas many of us have in our own homes. However, nothing but nothing beats the comfort of the Sealy Posturepedic 700 Plush in the master bedroom.

bquick
01-25-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm trying to look at all the possibilities for our family of 5 (DH, DW, DD-10, DD-6, DS-1) during stay from Dec. 2-10, 2005 at WDW and have found that DVC-1 BR will run me approx. $2000-2450 while we can stay at WL with my AAA discount for about $1200-1400.

I don't want the hassle of packing up and moving with three young children and all their STUFF. We stayed at POR last visit and I want to try something different but trying to be aware of cost.

Am I missing something?

2kidsnutsfordisney
01-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Bquick-
I think that the main difference in the cost is what extras you are getting in the room. It is my understanding that in a 1 br. DVC you get a full kitchen, large bathroom and washer and dryer (at least from what I have seen in brochures, etc.) where your room at the WL may not have all of these items. If I am wrong I apologize :sunny: With that being the case, I guess you would have to decide if those extras or items would be worthwhile. Hope this helps.

RoyalCanadian
01-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Am I missing something?

Where is the hassle? Why are you packing up and moving? Check in on the 2nd, check out on the 10th.

Here is something of what you're missing.
Room at WL: 344 sq. ft.
1 BR @ OKW: 940 sq. ft. w/ fridge, stove, microwave, king size bed in MBR, sleeper sofa in living room, pack & play crib tucked away in a closet, washer & dryer, jacuzzi tub, pool with waterslide, ferry to DTD, regular bus service to all parks. 9 nights @ 240 points total.

gigi1313
01-26-2005, 10:25 AM
i think the "hassle" comes in when moving to save $ by not staying dvc on the weekend... and i agree, it could be a hassle, esp w/three kids! i guess that's why disney offers soooo many varied options, so that each family can find accommodations that suit them!

(i would have no use for a kitchen and actually enjoy the community laundry rooms as i typically use that time as my escape time, grabbing a drink from the poolside bar, doing my laundry and visiting w/other guests doing the same while dh puts the kids to bed that night! LOL!)

ptrbryant
01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
and thought that's how we'd do our WDW vacations from now on. Everything went smoothly and we loved the slightly more spacious (studio), quieter surroundings. However, beginning last May, my MIL has had mulitple health problems. After 5 hospitalizations, she's in a very nice assisted living residence now, but we're still the only family members in town and still need to take care of her meds., etc. every other day. While my SIL can takeover when we're gone, there's too much risk that she could be back in the hospital or something and we couldn't very welll say,"sorry, but we can't cancel our WDW plans." We're also not in the financial position where we could just lose that money and not have it affect us.
So, long story short, booking through CRO gives us flexibility to adapt our plans as needed!

Karla B. :sunny:

jenjersnap
01-26-2005, 12:19 PM
This thread is really interesting to me. We are taking the plunge and renting a studio at BCV on October. So far, the renter has been quite helpful but I do feel a little fear about our leap of faith. I did call MS at DVC to confirm our ressie. We opted to stay over Friday and Saturday too, though they certainly cost much more. It's a relatively short trip and we didn't want to split a stay this time. I rationalized it this way: our AVERAGE cost per night over the LENGTH of our stay is $160 which is cheaper than a regular BC/YC room in October even with AP rates (and I have heard repeatedly that AP rates are difficult to get there in October because of the F&WF). DH wanted to experience Stormalong Bay while it was actually warm enough to swim and that our main reason for opting to go this route.

Gonna miss daily Mousekeeping for sure. My two little ones live for the towel animals! It's an experiment, we'll see how it goes for us.