PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on resorts

tigefan
01-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Hello, everyone. This is my first post, although I've been a daily visitor for a couple weeks now. We are heading to Disney World May 13-21st. It will be me, dh, ds and dd (both 4) and my mom. We will probably be getting two rooms at a moderate or deluxe, depending on what kind of rates we can get. We plan on going to the parks 5 or so days. Mom will join us at the parks a couple times, but for the most part will stay at the resort. I don't want her to feel all cooped up and alone, but she isn't the type to go out and explore on her own. She also has some health issues and isn't able to walk great distances. Are any of the resorts easier to get around than others - where she might feel more comfortable walking around without worrying about getting lost? I know she would love a balcony. Any suggestions about what areas of the resorts to request when I make our reservations? Right now we're considering AKL, WL, POFQ. What do you think? Thanks much for your input.

nwdisgal
01-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I would go with a deluxe, either the AKL or WL, so things will be more centrally located for your mom.

zipDdoodah
01-25-2005, 01:34 AM
WL would be very easy for her to walk around. It's very compact, and most everything she would need is pretty close to the lobby. You could also ask for a room close to the lobby as a request, which would make things even easier for her. The feel of WL would also be a great place for her to stay and relax while you are at the parks. I think it would be perfect for you!

Scoootch
01-25-2005, 08:11 AM
If you want a balcony, you'll need to stay deluxe (FQ and the values and other moderates will not have one). That being said, most of the deluxes will accommodate 5 with either 2double or queen beds and a daybed (the only moderate that will accomodate 5 would be POR in the AB section with a trundle bed and one room would be tight)and to get 2 rooms and not have the luxury of the balcony for your mom in this case wouldn't be as enjoyable it sounds like.

My suggesstion would be as others have mentioned WL if that appeals or any of the monorail resorts (GF,Poly,CR) or Any of the Epcot resorts)YC,BC,Swan,Dolphin,BW.
Those are all deluxe resorts, with balcony's (** if you choose BC be sure to request a full size balcony as many of them are standing room only - enough for 1person to stand on, not sit) and are all convenient to the theme parks either by walking or quick transportation like monorail or boat.

My personnal 1st pick would be YC or BC as they're beautiful with a great pool (SAB) and you can either walk or take the boat to both Epcot and MGM. But it's all a matter of taste and what kind of rate you can get, I'd call CRO and find out where you can get the best rate and go from there. You might also consider renting your mom a rascal scooter during the trip if she has a hard time walking;)

Anyway, HTH's. Best of luck!:wave:

And WELCOME TO THE DISBOARDS!! :)

tigefan
01-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks to all of you for the info. We're still considering AKL & WL, but now the BC sounds good, too! We were planning on renting a wheelchair at the parks, but I think we'll look into the scooter rental. I appreciate your help!

gigi1313
01-25-2005, 02:53 PM
although i have not stayed there, i would suggest WL 'cause it's only a boat ride away from MK where you/dh/kids will probably be spending a lot of time, and would be convenient for mom to leave to head back to the hotel or join you in the park later, kwim? plus it's compact size and natural beauty... AKL on the other hand would give mom lots to look at when sitting on the balcony if she's a nature lover...

if you are thinking about two rooms at a moderate, i would suggest POFQ again for it's compact size... but no balcony (although many have used the outside corridor as a balcony just pulling the chairs out of their rooms, still plenty of room to walk by)

VAN
01-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Based on what you've said, I too would lean toward the WL.

Dee & Greg
01-25-2005, 03:48 PM
My vote is for BC... beautiful views of the lagoon from the balconies... I could sit there all afternoon!

tippytoe
01-25-2005, 05:08 PM
I agree with the other posters that think you should stay deluxe. POFQ is wonderful, but your mom will have to walk outside whenever you go to the food court or the lobby area. Even thought it is a short distance, if you received some bad weather it could make things more difficult for you mom. I haven't been at AKL, but the WL lobby is a wonderful "people watching" spot and many of the crazy antics at Whispering Canyon can be seen and heard from the lobby. Also, a deluxe will give you more dining options on site so your mom will not have to travel as much.

DisneyMomx7
01-25-2005, 07:03 PM
My vote would be for the GF. It's such a pretty resort you mom would be able to enjoy it while you are doing the parks. It's also very relaxing and believe it or not, kid friendly.

MrsJ Henry
01-25-2005, 07:09 PM
We absolutely Loved the BC/YC. That would be my first pick. But we stayed at AKL and liked that also. So either of those would be my choice.
We loved all the animals and looking around the resort at AKL . There is a lot to do there.
I could sit and people (and animal )watch for hours.
BUT YC just had the most wonderful feel to it and I love being near the water.