PDA

View Full Version : Planning trip Feb 2006

sunil
01-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I am planning a trip to WDW Feb 2006. I thought I was an early planner until I saw this board, now I see I am late already ;-). In any case, I have several questions. Thanks to all the experts for all the useful info you provide on this board ! We are a group of 4 (2 adults, DD 10 and DS 7).

1. Schools here in San Jose are closed Feb 13-17 2006, so we would be going that week. That's week of Lincoln's birthday, but the week before Washingtons' birthday. Question : is this "before President's week so value season & not crowded", or is it "President's week and crowded + high season" ? I see this year that Feb 14-15-16 is still value season, wondering about 2006...

2. Is the weather in Feb good enough to go to the water parks like Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach and to get into the pools at the resorts ? Last time we were in Orlando was Dec-01. We did 4 days in WDW and 3 days on DCL. The trip was great - but it was too cold for me to get into the water. Wondering what is typical for Feb.

3. I know if I want to book a land-sea package I need to book early to get a good early booking discount (3800 on Costco for a 4land+3sea cat 6 cabbin / Poly room for that week right now). But there are apparently no "early booking discounts" for resort stays that I can find. Do I need to book early to get good rates at resorts or can I just wait till say Nov to book a resort stay ?

4. I am not currently a AAA member (my auto insurance covers towing etc). Is it worth joining now to get the AAA resort discount ? Or will I be able to get a discounted rate later in the year for Feb without having to shell out money to join AAA ??

5. Wilderness Lodge or Poly ??? We stayed at the Contempoarry in Dec-01, and loved the monorail. Poly looked nice as we wizzed by it, and very convinient. But the prices are much better at WL... I know - you get what you pay for, but opinions ?

6. Would it be worth it to split my stay (say 4 at WL, 3 at AKL) ? I know if my first day is in value season I can book the entire stay at the value rate - does this apply to split stays as well ?

Thanks !

Sunil

PURTYPAT1
04-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Did you get your fares as of yet?

tubachick
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
we went this week THIS year. Weather was GR8, and crowds were light. When we left it was the weekend of Presidents day. We would go back at this time again.

dck12ga
04-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Last Feb. we went 2/2/04 - 2/8 And it was busy due to Mardi Gras and the Daytona 500. This year Mardi Gras is 2/28 and Daytona 500 is 2/19. I believe Presidents weekend will be the weekend of Feb 18th. We are from Michigan so as far as the swimming goes, you can go swimming in Feb. a couple of days were in the 70's. I hope discounts will be out this summer because we plan on going in Feb also. :flower:

pw2pp
04-19-2005, 07:40 AM
I was told that they should be listing their "seasons" for 2006 in May (next month).
I am ALMOST positive that you will make it in time for "value" season. Unfortunately, our school district is taking the following week off in 2006 so we won't get value season (if we go).

vicb
04-19-2005, 07:50 AM
We have gone twice in Feb., once in Jan. We plan to go Feb. 06 too and unfortunately will probably be arriving Sun. 2/19 - Pres. weekend! :rolleyes: DD can't/won't miss any school so we will bite the bullet and do Pres. week this year. I have read a lot of threads on this week and many fellow DISers say the Fri-Mon start of the week is the worst and not so bad Tues-Sun after so we will just stay away from MK on Sun and Mon.

For the OP, we have not stayed at WL so can't comment but have stayed at Poly and really liked it although not as much as the Epcot area. Never the less Poly is a really nice resort. We had a lagoon view there. Really nice CMs, great location, can't beat the monorail and good restaurants.

There is no "typical" weather for Feb. and that is the problem with Feb. You never know what you will get! :confused3 Both trips in Feb. we had 80 degree days and cold 50 degree days, it is very changeable. But all three trips my kids have swam at WDW, the pools are heated and the hot tubs are great. Last year (04) we spent a whole day at BB and even I swam! :sunny:

As for AAA, I already belong for the roadservice but the discounts (non-WDW) really pay for the membership. We have used our AAA card to get restaurant, amusement park and museum discounts.

Lastly, we have had discount codes the last two times in Feb. but it looks like in Feb. 05 there were only AP room only discounts. In doing the math I found it still would have been a substantial savings for me to have bought one AP just for the resort discount. Be sure to read the codes board, it will help you with all that.

Good luck! :flower:

pw2pp
04-19-2005, 08:05 AM
we have had discount codes the last two times in Feb. but it looks like in Feb. 05 there were only AP room only discounts.
We used the BDP code for our week this past Feb 13-20 and paid only $84 for CBR