PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans - French Quarter or Riverside?

Madi100
01-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I think that the Contemporary is out of our budget for this trip. So, we've decided on Port Orleans. I've always wanted to stay at Dixie Landings in the mansions. But, I've read how close the French Quarter is and how spread out Riverside is. Which do you prefer? I've never actually seen other.

TLinden16
01-24-2005, 03:06 PM
I prefer the POFQ. It's definitely a lot smaller, and much easier to navigate the POR. I like the atmosphere at the POFQ better, too--it's so bright, and whimsical. The buses pick up at the POFQ before heading over to the POR (unless they are full), so you will mostly likely get a seat on the bus.

The POR is certainly a beautiful resort as well, and I'm sure you'd be happy at either of them. I just like the POFQ better.

Karen

wdwrich
01-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Will you have a car? That can make a difference. We usually do so the size of POR didn't matter to us. We prefer the landscaping at POR over POFQ, but that's just a matter of personal taste. You really can't go wrong with either resort.

mkutch
01-24-2005, 03:18 PM
I have to agree. We loved both. I stayed in the mansions at P.O. and got a building across the river from the main building, a very easy walk. Loved the atmosphere. If you do choose there maybe you could request a room close to the main area. FQ is great too - I love New Orleans. You can't go wrong. You'll just have to come down again and stay in the other one next time! :jester:

gigi1313
01-24-2005, 03:25 PM
does FQ have lots of 'clowns' because ds is afraid of clowns (or so he says)!

nanatink
01-24-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't remember there being any clowns, but masks, especially in the dining area. You know the ones they use at Mardi Gras(sp?). This was a couple of years ago. Someone more recent my have more information.

Philadisney
01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
have only stayed at POR, in the mansion section. my cousin and i thought it was very pretty, and loved the decor of the rooms, but it was pretty spread out and a pain to walk, especially getting back from the parks late at night - didn't help that all the buildings look the same so we'd have trouble finding ours. if you have a car though, that helps a lot, though we found even then its still possible to get lost!

funshipm174
01-24-2005, 03:54 PM
To be honest, we haven't been to the riverside, but stood at the POFQ and LOVED IT! I didn't think it was to spread apart and that was with a 4 year-old at the time. Pool has great dragon slide and close to the bus station. What a great place to stay! pirate:

daannzzz
01-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I personally prefer POR. It has more atmosphere and thematically different architecture from area to area, where as POFQ has the same feeling everywhere you go. POFQ is pretty but not as pretty as POR IMHO. The best thing about POFQ is that it is smaller and the buildings all have 3 stories so everything is convenient to walk to. But I won't trade atmosphere for a few minutes less of a walk.
While there are not really clowns around POFQ there are some interesting (sometimes scary looking) figures in colorfull Mardi Gras clothing that could be mistaken for clowns. There are also many giant heads hanging in the food court that can be a bit intimidating for little ones. See the links below.
http://joel.at.wdw.online.fr/HOTELS/Port-Orleans-French-Quarter/DSC06070A.JPG

http://*********************/id281.htm

Eyore4Ever149
01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
You really can't go wrong with either, and since you can use the restaurant, pools, etc at either resort, it makes it easy to stay at either. If the Mansion's excite you, go for, ask if you can be near the main building and you will be fine. POR is beautiful and romantic. But...POFQ can't be knocked.

Its more personal, than one is better than the other.

disneyfanintn
01-24-2005, 04:46 PM
We've stayed at both within the last year (POFQ in May and Riverside in October) and I have to say that I really liked FQ the best. I think it is just a personal opinion as my DH liked both equally, I just happened to like FQ better. No real reason except that FQ is a smaller resort and I think the 1st pickup/dropoff on the Bus Route.

capthooksmom
01-24-2005, 05:09 PM
I've never seen or stayed at Riverside, but we stayed at French Quarter this past December. I loved everything about it. I thought it was a beautiful resort and very easy to navigate. You're a short walk from everything. The bus route might make a difference for you. POFQ gets picked up and dropped off first, and during our trip (which is typically a slow time) often the people getting on at Riverside had to stand. If it's a busier time they may have more buses running or not share, so that may not be a concern for you. I also noticed that the 2 resorts shared buses everywhere except MK.

From what I've heard about Riverside, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either resort.

dreams4disney
01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
I Loved POR when DH and I stayed there last July. We stayed in one of the Mansions over looking the river. It was Beutiful! We will be going to PO FQ in a few months! I can't wait to see it! :Pinkbounc

Ladyhawke10
01-24-2005, 08:26 PM
I had a much easier time at POFQ with my young son than at PO Riverside because of the walking involved. It was kind of hard for him to walk all the way from our mansion for a snack or with mom for some coffee (I was just there alone with him) and he complained a lot about it. At POFQ, he didn't have any problem w/ the walking (he's 5 now, was 4 when we were at Riverside). Both resorts have playgrounds and great pools, both have very nice grounds and theming. I preferred POFQ because of the layout, but I did like the campfire pit at Riverside and the Alligator Bayou vs. Mansions sections at PO Riverside. They've both just been renovated, so I'm sure they look beautiful (Riverside had not been renovated when we stayed there so it was a bit beaten up, but that's no longer an issue). We found better housekeeping service and CMs at POFQ, but again, that can be random. I'd vote for POFQ , but you can't go wrong at either one. Oh, as far as clowns, there are dancing alligators along the pool area, and some Mardi Gras figures in the food court. They were cute, actually, and the Dragon pool was awesome. :cloud9: