PDA

View Full Version : Advice-How many of you bring your own pillows?

reineeos
01-24-2005, 10:01 AM
I know this sounds strange but I always have a hard time sleeping on a pillow different then my own broken down very used pillow. How many of you bring your own if you are flying to DW or do you save the suitcase space. I just don't know what to do. 7 days worth of clothes and 'stuff' is adding up in the suitcase because we doing the Land and Sea.
I would like to take a poll to help me decide and or any tips.
Thanks

nygrl
01-24-2005, 10:07 AM
i take my own blankets when driving on a vacation but i cant see doing it when flying just too much wasted space my suitcases are always packed to capacity with clothes and on they way back i usually buy a duffel bag for souvinears. :wave:

oogieboogie
01-24-2005, 10:10 AM
When I'm driving, I bring everyones fav pillows. When I'm flying I just bring my body pillow - that's the most important since I can't sleep without it. I have a huge duffel bag that can hold it folded up. I usually just check it thru and never had a problem.

beccasmom
01-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I have been bringing my own in the last couple of years. Sometimes the resort pillows are just not comfortable enough for me. They seem to be too 'overstuffed' and have no give to them. Either that or I use an extra blanket as my pillow. :blush:

reineeos
01-24-2005, 12:22 PM
I have been bringing my own in the last couple of years. Sometimes the resort pillows are just not comfortable enough for me. They seem to be too 'overstuffed' and have no give to them. Either that or I use an extra blanket as my pillow. :blush:

I agree that is why I am thinking about bringing my pillow and nothing beats a good restful sleep. So I thinking if someone can bring a body pillow what's a regular pillow to that! :flower1:

Carrie772
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I can sleep on anything if I have my pillow! Bring it! Pack some breakable souvenirs in it for the trip home!

shellybaxter
01-24-2005, 12:51 PM
I bring my pillow and since we live in California, always fly. I have a very well loved down pillow. I get one of those "packing bags", you know the ones where you squish all of air out through a one way valve, put my pillow in there and make it pretty much flat. Then I either lay it on the bottom of a suitcase, or fold it to fit with the rest of the stuff. Works great for me

Shelly

gingermommy94
01-24-2005, 12:53 PM
We always bring our own pillows! I can't sleep without it and it helps the kids to fall asleep better..having something familiar to go to sleep on.

Gillian
01-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Taking a duffle is a great idea! We started doing this recently & it works well. We used it for our Florida on the way down for stuff like diapers, beach towels (needed for beach), bathing suits. Anything that could be squished. I don't usually travel with my pillow, but if I did it would go in there.

On the way home it's good for laundry.

And for your cruise you can fold it up and store it in your suitcase, which should fit under the bed. You probably know to lift up the edge of the bed first, right? :)

dennisnlisab96
01-24-2005, 01:24 PM
ALWAYS...won't leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigbabyblues
01-24-2005, 01:31 PM
If we drive, we bring pillows. If we fly, we don't.

addlema
01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Flying/Driving/Swimming or Jogging I always like to have my pillow.. I agree with the OP. No pillow feels the same as the one from home..

MAGICinMYHEART
01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
I don't have to fly but I always bring my own pillows (two) I use a PACK-MATE it has an airtight Zipper and a close sealer at the other end, so you pop your pillow in then roll the air out.

reineeos
01-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Thank you sooo much! I am bringing my pillow!!! :cool1:
Two days and counting! :cool1:

ErinASB
01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
If you are running out of space, buy one of those luggage sacks that look like a big Zip-loc bag. All you have to do is put it in there, squish most of the air out and seal it. I've done that more than once because I refuse to travel without my own pillow.

foxfire
01-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Our pillows are permanent items on our "to pack" list whether it's a trip to WDW or any place else. We always sleep so much better with our own. You never know what type pillow will be provided...too puffy, too hard, etc. Besides, I just feel better knowing my head is resting on a pillow I'm sure is clean. :rolleyes: :D

DizBelle
01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Another vote for "bring your own pillow!"

dreams4disney
01-24-2005, 05:17 PM
We always take our own pillows. I never thought about if we should or not. I can't sleep with out my own. :D

tennismom
01-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Once we reach our destination, my first stop is a Target or Walmart and I buy pillows. They don't have to last that long so the $7 ones are just fine. I bring colorful pillowcases from home-does not take up much room in our luggage and housekeeping will not mistake our pillows for theirs. At the end of our trip, my pillow cases come off and I leave the pillows.

sdlovesdisney
01-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Where do you find those big "ziploc" bags to squish the air out?

mbcary
01-24-2005, 09:01 PM
When I travel I try to bring my own pillow, but I didn't last year at the Swan and it was fine. The Swan has the "Heavenly Beds" which are, well, heavenly!! I slept great without my pillow. Also, I am usually so tired at WDW by the time I go to bed that I would probably fall asleep whether I had a pillow or not!

Kitster
01-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Once we reach our destination, my first stop is a Target or Walmart and I buy pillows. They don't have to last that long so the $7 ones are just fine. I bring colorful pillowcases from home-does not take up much room in our luggage and housekeeping will not mistake our pillows for theirs. At the end of our trip, my pillow cases come off and I leave the pillows.This is what I plan to do for our next trip to WDW. The last time we stayed at CSR, the pillows were so flat and lumpy I couldn't get to sleep !!! I know I won't be able to find a latex foam pillow, like the one I use at home, but a new fiberfilled should work for the few days we're at POP.

BTW, I've occassionally found nice pillows at WalMart for $3.00 each. They're the ones I use in pillow shams on our bed :)

Davids-Coco
01-24-2005, 11:21 PM
I always bring my own. When I fly, I just carry it on with me.

eeyore45
01-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Guess what?! I usually always take my feather pillow, but we flew.. the first night at the Poly, I was miserable without my feather pillow, so I went to the front desk and asked, by any chance is there any fether pillows available? TADA just like magic.... :wizard: THEY DID!! they asked how many, and I begged for 3, one for each so I wouldnt have to give up 'mine'!! TA DA :wizard: They gave me 3 feather pillows, and it was delightful!!

So from now on, when I dont bring my pillow, at other hotels when I make reservations I've asked if they have feather pillows available, and most do!! (since its a high allergy item, you do have to ask!!)

RumpleMom
01-25-2005, 08:58 AM
I have found from experience to check all of the pillows, especially the extras in the closet. They are not all the same. I have been pleasantly surprised and satisfied by looking around and comparing.

LauraAnn630
01-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Sent a box of things to hotel 5 days ahead of time. Packed pillows!
We used that same box to send things home in!

gypsydoodlebug
01-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I ALWAYS take my pillow...and when I went into labor with DD the LDR room staff had told me to bring a different pillowcase, so I would remember my pillow when I left. I always dress my pillow in a bright red pillowcase so it doesn't blend in with the rest of the pillows on the hotel bed. Plus, I know whose head has been on that thing *mine and ONLY mine!!

jtdl
01-25-2005, 09:17 AM
If we're driving I bring everyones so they can use them to sleep in the van, but I'm the only one who brings mine into the room. Nobody else seems to be bothered by unfamiliar pillows, but I sure am!