PDA

View Full Version : Which is best moderate resort for us?

bryantk
01-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi I was wondering which moderate resort would be best for us for a trip in March.

It's just three adults so we don't care about pools or any kids stuff, and walking distances won't be unbearable but we will be trying to cram everything we possibly can in 5 days so distance to locations we do care about a little.

Should we utilize busses or drive around the park?

Theming isn't a big deal I guess, there are only 4 hotels to chose from and they all seem ok.

I appreciate your response!

bigbabyblues
01-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Will you all be in one room? If so, I'd pick CBR (Caribbean Beach) because the rooms are a bit bigger---granted not much bigger, but 340 sq feet as opposed to the 314 sq feet in the other mods. Downside is CBR is huge and spread out, and alot of people don't want to walk that far. We stayed in South Trinidad on our visit to CBR and we didn't find the walk that bad at all, and I believe that's the furthest "island" from the main buildings. I also loved the feel and experience of CBR...like a tropical getaway. We always use Disney Transportation while we're at Disney, I just prefer to park the car and forget it until time to go home.

Hope this helps, Steph

bryantk
01-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Just one room. We are trying to save as much money as possible as this trip is more of a last minute thing we had the oppurtunity to go and want to, but don't want it to be a big thing as the rest of the family won't be coming along and we won't be spending the two weeks there it would probably take to do everything.

Buzz2001
01-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Check out my CSR website for pics, links, and info

juliesue
01-23-2005, 08:56 PM
They are all nice. I think you can make your decision based on what type of theming appeals to you. Personally, CBR is my favorite because it is very quiet and relaxed. While it is very spread out, CSR is just as spread out. You really don't realize how large it is.

I didn't like CSR because of the convention atmosphere. I just don't want to be around people working, dressed "up" for work, and talking on their cell phones during my time off. (It's just a personal thing, DH didn't mind at all). We stay at Boardwalk too, which is also a convention resort, but we don't notice as much of the "work atmosphere there.

Port Orleans was nice too. It was very full of mosquitos when we went in November, but you probably wouldn't have that in March. The theming was nice and it seemed more compact than CSR and CBR.

I have never been to Pop and personally can't stand the look of it. I think you either love or hate that one!

No matter where you stay - take the Disney transportation. While you may wait a few minutes, it sure beats a long walk back to out the parking lot and the end of the evening!!

bryantk
01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
ok I think we will go to the Caribbean Beach Resort... any objections or anything to look out for?

secox28
01-24-2005, 12:18 AM
I would stay at the Port Orleans - Riverside. It's not as spread out as ths CSR or CBR. If you stay in the Alligator Bayou building # 14, you will get the shortest walk to the food court, check-in, and bus stop. The pool is not the most exciting for kids, so it's not as busy as the French Quarter.

Also, when leaving the parks at closing time, we've hopped on the FQ bus and taken it back to the FQ. We got off the bus and had a nice evening stroll along the Sassagoula river back to our room at the Riverside. Don't get me wrong... it WAS a long walk, but I really enjoyed it late ay night.

LauraAnn630
01-24-2005, 02:21 PM
We choose CBR because there are counters by the 2 sinks not pedastal sinks. There is also a bench.

zipDdoodah
01-24-2005, 02:26 PM
For adults I would say POFQ or POR. They are smaller resorts, and I think the theming appeals nicely to adults. Plus, you could take the boat to Downtown Disney as well as taking the buses. The rooms have been recently refurbished there too, so everything should be nice and fresh.

vernon
01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Coronado Spring is more of a convention hotel than the other mods, by definition it is A LITTLE more adult orientated and usually has a lower proportion of kids/families staying there. That might be a bonus to you if you'd rather not have that many kids about you, it may not worry you. It's downside is that it is a little more distant from the majority of the parks.

Caribbean Beach is very spread out and it can be a trek to get to the hotel restaurants. In it's favour it is probably the most central location for the parks, however it would be best, IMHO to drive to the parks as opposed to rely on the bus service as just getting round the resort can be time consuming.

Port Orleans is probably the prettiest of the resorts (although none of them could be called ugly) and feels the most compact. In it's favour, as already mentioned, is the ability to take the watertaxis through to DTD. For a group of adults who'd like to eat out in DTD/PI this might swing your decision. The extra distance to some of the parks (when compared to CBR) is probably equalled out by the fact the busses don't have to spend as much time lapping the resort. If you'd rather rely on the Disney transportation services and would also eat in the resort a few times I would probably stay at this hotel.

As has been said, there isn't really a bad choice to make, it's just slight differences in their ambience.

G00fyDad
01-24-2005, 03:53 PM
The CBR is where we are headed in October and I have heard SO many good things about it. You'll have fun. If you want to be close to the main building request a prefered room. Martinique or Trinidad North are both prefered.

mommyrom
01-24-2005, 11:59 PM
We stayed at CBR in May 2003 and absolutely LOVED it! :sunny: It is a large resort, but we enjoyed the space for walking, boating, etc. Especially we enjoyed getting to see Epcot's fireworks at night from our room porch! What a surprise for the kids! Have fun! :wave2:

tbthomps
01-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Think carefully before chosing CBR...we have a preferred location but still found it to be TOOOOOOOOOOOO spread out. It took forever just driving around the resort much less the drive to the Disney attractions. Resort itself was really nothing special, not bad, just not special.

eeyore0062
01-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Definitely CBR... it is right in the middle of all of the parks, and the rooms are slightly bigger, which would be good if you have 3 adults all staying in the same room. Avoid CSR... only one sink.

brermomof2
01-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Our choice would be POFQ. As long as you're not poolside, it is very quiet and relaxing. We just find it very charming and romantic. I also love the boats going to DTD, that is a super bonus! You can also walk or take the DTD boat to POR to eat at their sit-down restaurant.

soccer mom
01-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I would also choose POFQ because of the size, the boat to DTD, good bus service, and POR (sister resort) is right next door within walking distance and has a great lounge with Bob Jackson performing Wednesday through Saturday (I think).

Paticake
01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
CBR is our favorite. We enjoy the walk around the resort. I really like the food court there as well.

clutter
01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
With three adults, it's nice to have those shelves in the sink area at CBR. Heck, I'm only one adult, and I'm worried I'll miss them when we go to POR this week. :Pinkbounc

As for driving around the resorts, if you're going at a really low crowd time (like right now), I find it can be quicker. When crowds are heavy, it doesn't matter that much.

Classics99
01-25-2005, 01:50 PM
An alternative is the Saratoga Springs Resort...it's connected by walkway (albeit a slightly long one) to the entertainment areas and since only one area is open as of this writing the census (and thus crowds) are lower, although services are still excellent. A room facing the lagoon overlooks all the activity but yet is far enough away tha noise is minimal :earsboy:

bigbabyblues
01-25-2005, 02:00 PM
An alternative is the Saratoga Springs Resort...it's connected by walkway (albeit a slightly long one) to the entertainment areas and since only one area is open as of this writing the census (and thus crowds) are lower, although services are still excellent. A room facing the lagoon overlooks all the activity but yet is far enough away tha noise is minimal :earsboy:

But isn't Saratoga Springs a DVC resort? He didn't say he was a DVC member, but I don't know much about DVC either, so I could be way off.