PDA

View Full Version : Why Castmembers Hate DVC Members!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Deemarch
01-19-2005, 05:13 PM
The sentiment raised by the OP is wrong. End of story. MHO

Now, I don't think that many people are as rude and demanding as he has stated either. But the squeaky wheel always gets the oil and these are the people that you hear above everyone else. Again, MHO.

To be told that most CMs hate you just because you are a DVC member, judge you by how much money they THINK you have and how much class that money should bring along with it...Boy, sad to say that prejudice is alive and well in the USA!

WithDisneySpirit
01-19-2005, 07:41 PM
This has been a really shocking thread!!! I agree that the OP sounds bitter and has an issue with bigotry. Yes, a small percentage of customers are going to be a lot of trouble, but in my business I cannot let that sour me on all my other nice customers!

It does bother me to realize that the rude customers might actually get my NS room. That is really the only thing that matters to me after all :earseek: I agree that Disney should either go non-smoking or make it a guaranteed request! End of story on that one...

Lisa

CRSNDSNY
01-20-2005, 07:16 AM
This has been a really shocking thread!!!
Lisa
Actually, what is most shocking to me is how long this thread has been going! How many times has the OP posted to it? 2 or 3 times? Yet we continue to add fire to the flames. :rolleyes:

N&B'smom
01-20-2005, 07:59 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. I think the OP must be very pleased, the reaction to the thread must have gone beyond all his/her expectations! It may time to just let this thread die and take all the ugliness from the OP with it.

Shelby

doubletrouble_vb
01-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I saw this thread for the first time while I was in INNOVENTIONS in the IBM area. I seriously considered leaving it up for all to read as I was floored by it. At the same time I wasn't at all surprised at the sentiments.

I do think that one suggestion made here is a good one (even though it would hurt me because I've never used the priority window). MEMBERS making reservations more than 7 months in advance should be given preferential/virtually guarenteed treatment on their room requests. All other reservations should be limited to smoking, non-smoking, and handicapped.

I do think BCV did take a bit of the sheen off the exclusivity at the Y&B. You see a lot more members dragging their own luggage, bringing groceries and parking their own cars (me included). Cash customers are definitely doing a more top-flight style vacation with a bigger focus on being in the parks and money-is-no-object dining. But I also think it gave back something in exchange since there is an extra quiet pool, additional public space to relax in and the general store looks like it is being expanded into something bigger.

And we members should consider working a bit harder at being nice to CM's because we do expect to be repeat offenders at our resorts. Disney should, in exchange, implement extra ongoing training at DVC resorts so that CM's are fully aware that many DVC'ers are informed consumers and aren't just being obnoxious jerks and difficult people. The uninformed traveler is much more likely to take what is dished out ...and quietly not return.

I have to say that I haven't found any instances of non-frontdesk CM's who were bothersome in any way. And I also have to say the OKW and SSR frontdesk CM's have treated me the best...that's one reason why I'm thinking it may be a training issue. Maybe the 3 blended resorts need a DVC check-in desk. Other timeshares have owner desks...there might be a good reason for it.

rinkwide
01-20-2005, 11:09 AM
...You see a lot more members dragging their own luggage, bringing groceries and parking their own cars...
Saw all that when we stopped by GF last month for dinner.

kweaver
01-20-2005, 12:40 PM
I do think BCV did take a bit of the sheen off the exclusivity at the Y&B. You see a lot more members dragging their own luggage, bringing groceries and parking their own cars (me included). Cash customers are definitely doing a more top-flight style vacation with a bigger focus on being in the parks and money-is-no-object dining. But I also think it gave back something in exchange since there is an extra quiet pool, additional public space to relax in and the general store looks like it is being expanded into something bigger.

I just don't see where bringing in your own luggage and parking your own car means less exclusive. There are certainly people who would rather not have anyone handle their property...especially a vehicle. Maybe I'm jaded...as I've had thousands of dollars of damage done to a personal vehicle by a valet (not at Disney). I'd rather park my own vehicle. At least I know that if I crash, it's my fault! :blush: We have plenty of money to tip a bellman, but we're completely capable of pulling our own luggage behind us (as are the kids). Seems like kind of a waste to pay someone else to do it unless I'm in a real rush to go somewhere else.

Maybe I'm too practical for the YC/BC. :smooth:

wtpclc
01-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Saw all that when we stopped by GF last month for dinner.

That's terrible! Have they been letting those darn DVCers in there again! ;)

tjkraz
01-20-2005, 12:57 PM
I just don't see where bringing in your own luggage and parking your own car means less exclusive.

Not only that, but doesn't it stand to reason that DVC members would be MORE inclined to use valet since we don't pay for it (except tips)?

Wouldn't MORE DVCers have to store their luggage with bell services since our check-in time is an hour later than Deluxe resorts?

Granted I'm not the type to pay $500+ per night for a hotel, but our first stay at BWV was also the first time that I had ever used valet parking (when both valet and self offered) and bell services in my life.

QuiltTeddy
01-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Isn't anyone getting sick and tired of seeing all the threads that keep talking this to death.

Why can't everyone just agree to disagree and let all the threads die a slow death?

You'd think an admin would come and lock the thread already.

CRSNDSNY
01-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Isn't anyone getting sick and tired of seeing all the threads that keep talking this to death.

Why can't everyone just agree to disagree and let all the threads die a slow death?
Ahhhh....then the boards would be a snooze-fest! :teacher:

lllovell
01-20-2005, 01:36 PM
not only that - but why post the same "die thread die" in every one you dont like? why not just not read them :D

bongo59
01-20-2005, 01:43 PM
exactly

tjkraz
01-20-2005, 01:44 PM

I'm sure some people are. Obviously others are not. ;)

alsipd
01-20-2005, 03:58 PM
This thread is one of the best ever.
It shows that there are a multitude of different people that comprise the DVC and that most are willing to be active in support of their idea of what DVC is to them. If anyone from Disney/DVC reads this thread they will begin to understand the diversity of the owners and how they (Disney) can be influential in the satisfaction of the masses.
I come away from this thread with these impressions:
An overwhelming response to minimizing the number of requests
And making Smoking and Non-Smoking legitimate requisites.

It seems that this board is a good cross-sectional representation of DVC and has spoken loud and clear about how to reduce CM and Guest stress.

Anyone has the right to disagree with me, but this is my impression!

Dennis

DrTomorrow
01-20-2005, 05:10 PM
[...]It seems that this board is a good cross-sectional representation of DVC and has spoken loud and clear about how to reduce CM and Guest stress. [...] I repectfully disagree. This board is a tiny subset of all DVC owners; a subset that is fanatical about Disney, knows as much as (or sometimes more than) many CMs, cares about every rumor and/or fact that comes up about DVC, runs spreadsheets and writes software to maximize our DVC investment, and has enough (way too much ??? ;) ) time to discuss / debate it all on-line.

Don't get me wrong; I think that the folks here on the DIS DVC forum are some of the nicest, friendliest, most helpful and most intelligent folks I've ever met. But we do not represent "typical" DVC owners any more than the rugged Jeep owners who attend "Jeep Camp" weekends to drive on muddy trails represent typical Jeep owners.

ETA: There are 90,000 DVC owners; this thread has 269 replies. Even if each reply represented a different individual, that's 0.29% - less than one third of one percent. And since those 269 replies represent far fewer individuals, the percentage is even lower.

IMHO - YMMV

Rash
01-20-2005, 05:43 PM
But we do not represent "typical" DVC owners any more than the rugged Jeep owners who attend "Jeep Camp" weekends to drive on muddy trails represent typical Jeep owners.

man i'm jealous - there is no honda camp.

DrBond007
01-20-2005, 09:06 PM

This doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Nobody is required to click on a thread and read it, if you do not wish to participate in the thread or are tired of it, seems like you could just skip it. :earboy2:

....implement extra ongoing training at DVC resorts so that CM's are fully aware that many DVC'ers are informed consumers and aren't just being obnoxious jerks and difficult people.
I think the OPs point is that some DVCer's are comming across as the latter and that it really cannot be hidden behind a mask of "informed consumers". Some do get very picky about thier room locations down to wanting a specific room number. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

DrBond007
01-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I do think BCV did take a bit of the sheen off the exclusivity at the Y&B. You see a lot more members dragging their own luggage, bringing groceries and parking their own cars (me included). Cash customers are definitely doing a more top-flight style vacation with a bigger focus on being in the parks and money-is-no-object dining.
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, you do have a point. I couldn't afford to stay near the YC&BC if it weren't for DVC. We do bring in our own food too.

Sammie
01-20-2005, 09:19 PM

Sick and tired of an interesting discussion among friends with a mutual interest, actually no.

It's January, not a lot on TV, its cold out, even here in Florida. Some enjoy quilting, some of us enjoy Internet discussions.

I won't ask you to stop quilting, agreed. :)

debbiedoo
01-20-2005, 09:55 PM
I have waited to post my view. First of all the OP if he was working in any other kind of job he would be fired automatically. The things that he wrote are unacceptable in any disney matter. I have reported this to the dvc team, and hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

When we book for our vacations we are told all requests are a REQUEST ONLY. so do not expect it at checkin. I have been to the World several times over 30 years and I have seen rude guest from the GF to the all stars. Money is no exception.

Bottom line the OP is not a reality or he would be saying his peace. Some people can not function without turmoil, and he is one.

I have never complained at any of my stays, just to let you know.

I am from Fl and I find it rude that you ruled out one part of the country. There are idiots everywhere, including FL. . .must be one of those transplants :D

I think it is time to close this thread.

KNWVIKING
01-20-2005, 10:02 PM
.... are posts beginning to disappear ?

TnRobin
01-21-2005, 09:23 AM
First of all the OP if he was working in any other kind of job he would be fired automatically. The things that he wrote are unacceptable in any disney matter. I have reported this to the dvc team, and hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

DVC has known about this thread from day one. Trust me they are looking into it and will take any appropriate actions that they do deem necessary.

jcs_goog
01-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I agree entirely with Frozenfingers:

just think it's sad and ironic that today is Martin Luther King Day and we still have all this hate and prejudice in the World

Liferbabe, I wouldn't take this personal.. IF the OP is legit, I really don't think he hates us as much as his own situation. But really, read the post closer, it is just too inflammatory. If it is really a CM, he needs to be medicated.

I do feel as a number of posters do, that this thread did serve a useful purpose if it causes even just one of us to be a little more appreciative of those providing the magic. There are just better ways to stimulate discussion than this.

My thoughts to the DIStroll: There are any number of ways to achieve your goal without being so inflammatory. I do hope the mods discover your ID and have good discussion themselves about the value you bring to the community. If your are indeed a CM, well clearly you have had a bad day and insulted a significant population. I wouldn't advocate your dismissal, but clearly direct customer contact isn't your cup of tea. Perhaps reassignment to the alligator removal detail would be more in line with your view of the world. I understand if you grab a gator by the tail, their reaction is pretty predictable.. they don't tip either.

Have a good day everyone..

bcvillastwo
01-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I think that we should at least consider the underlying message sent by the OP. Yes, what was said could have been said differently but lets not let that get in the way of the message itself.

Frankly, I've seen things written on these boards that tend to support the OP's position. But, the other side of the equation is that the OP made assertions without providing anything but annecdotal evidence. So, is it true the more CM's would prefer to not work at certain DVC resorts? Wow, if that is true then it would be something the we as DVC members and Disney should be concerned about.

Whether its true or not, I think the level of civility has declined since I was a child (raised in the South) in the 1950's.

bobbiwoz
01-21-2005, 01:29 PM
I think this is a letter that the OP should have written, put in an envelope and then put aside to look at later to see if really it should be printed.

Bobbi :flower:

DrBond007
01-21-2005, 04:16 PM
I think that we should at least consider the underlying message sent by the OP. Yes, what was said could have been said differently but lets not let that get in the way of the message itself.

Frankly, I've seen things written on these boards that tend to support the OP's position...
Excellent point. I think there is some validity in the OPs message, regardless if he could have been more skillful or tactful in communicating it. Funny how so many are rushing to kill the messenger, and avoid the underlying message.

I agree with you, I have also seem posts that support the OP's position. To hear that this post has somehow been reported and implying action will be taken seems to be supporting the OP's poorly communicated position, some DVCer's can be exceptionally picky, overly demanding, and hard too please.

Of course that does NOT include ME......other DVCer's.... don't expect me to fess up to my shortcommings.......
pirate:

Deemarch
01-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Whether its true or not, I think the level of civility has declined since I was a child (raised in the South) in the 1950's.

True, but did you raise your children the way you were raised? Of course you did because what else did you know but that way!

My kids open doors and allow the other person to pass through first.
They say please and thank you ALL OF THE TIME.
They would never call someone a name in public.
They wouldn't push to the front after others have waited there before them.
Need I go on?

That's because I would never have allowed them to do these things as children and now that they are adults, raising their own children, they are teaching them the same way. I have an utterly polite, adorable GD.

I really feel that the reason people are rude is because they were never taught to be polite. IMO

Different cultures are a whole 'nother story!!!

And my mother taught me that you treat people as you would like to be treated. Most of the time you get what you deserve in the respect category.

Anonymous or not, the OP should never have pressed submit.

sgtdisney
01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
some DVCer's can be exceptionally picky, overly demanding, and hard too please.

This could very well be true, but it isn't just DVC members who act this way. It isn't an exclusive trait to DVC. Check out the resorts board and you will see it is everywhere.

I agree the OP may have had some valid points in the expectations some people have when they check into Disney resorts. But to say Cast Members HATE DVC members or to say newer members are low class or people from the Northeast are the naughty ones really isn't the best way to get your point across, as valid a point as it may be.

DrBond007
01-21-2005, 05:41 PM
I agree the OP may have had some valid points in the expectations some people have when they check into Disney resorts. But to say Cast Members HATE DVC members or to say newer members are low class or people from the Northeast are the naughty ones really isn't the best way to get your point across, as valid a point as it may be.
Agreed. ::yes::

..."people from the Northeast are the naughty ones...'' :duck:

DrBond007
01-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Anonymous or not, the OP should never have pressed submit.

Then we would not have had the opportunity to participate in this enlightening discussion..... :badpc:

athenna
01-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Without us from the Northeast, the word would be a boring place!

Rash
01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Just my opinion, but I respectfully submit that some of you are missing the point. I think we can all agree that we should treat each other with respect and civility and that unfortunately not everyone does. So we can go on and on with our lessons in civility, and they are certainly valid, but that will not change the fact that there will ALWAYS be uncivil, disrespectful people. The question is - will there continue to be CM's like the OP who don't seem to be able to handle their dealings with the public in the professional, non-judgemental, non-generalizing way that a public relations job demands - not just at Disney but anywhere.

As I've mentioned previously, when you deal with the public, you get the public - warts and all. How you handle the warts is what separates good CM's from bad ones, good companies from bad ones. This CM needs one of two things - some serious supervision and training in public relations, or a new job.

PamOKW
01-21-2005, 09:27 PM
There is a very successful business in our area that has a giant "boulder" by the front door with the "Rules" engraved on it.

Rule #1 -- The customer is always right.

Rule #2 -- If the customer is ever wrong, refer to Rule #1.

If you're going to run a successful customer service business that needs to be your philosophy. For someone in management to come on a public board and post that the employees "hate" the customers is inexcusable -- no matter how "cute" or "helpful" they felt they were being. If this is truly a CM and not a troll they need to rethink their business judgement.

jennymouse
01-21-2005, 10:25 PM
When I first read the post I was kind of ticked off and hurt and told myself that I wasn't going to take the front desk CM's any goodies this time. But, after thinking about it I think I am going to do it anyway. I'm going to make some homemade peanut brittle and on the bottom of the plate that they'll see after eating the peanut brittle will say "From a not naughty DVC Member."

DrBond007
01-22-2005, 10:58 AM
There is a very successful business in our area that has a giant "boulder" by the front door with the "Rules" engraved on it.

If you're going to run a successful customer service business that needs to be your philosophy. For someone in management to come on a public board and post that the employees "hate" the customers is inexcusable -- no matter how "cute" or "helpful" they felt they were being. If this is truly a CM and not a troll they need to rethink their business judgement.
Actually, that does not work. Frankly customers are sometimes wrong, and one cannot always consider everything they want, need, dream up, or ask for is right. A customer may want to park thier car in the lobby so they will be closer to the elevators. A much better saying/philosophy is Customer's need to be allowed to be wrong with dignity. That boulder will get in the way of them really developing customer loyalty.

lllovell
01-22-2005, 11:01 AM

I used to agree with those rules (especially when I worked with the public many moons ago) but unfortunately, times are changing and in this MEMEEEMEMEMEMMEME world, too many people don't care that you can go by rules #1 and #2 but not at the expense of others around you.

If you have been wronged, stand up for yourself. If you have been inconvenienced or think you deserve more than the guy next to you and feel like you have the right to scream and yell until you get what you want, then I have a problem with that.

Do unto others is our #1 rule in my house.

Sammie
01-22-2005, 12:42 PM
the customer is not always right. I will agree that Disney used to do a better job of dealing with problems. Lately a few, I do mean a few CMs have forgotten the Disney way of dealing with problems.

However as to the customer always being right, not true anymore as stated due to the changing demands of the public.

A DVC member whose child did not like the Clown at the BW pool wanted the BW to cover it during their stay and close it down. This is a true story. When Disney refused, they pitched a fit and demanded they move them to another resort.

They should have shown them the door.

elfbo
01-22-2005, 12:43 PM
We didnt have to be naughty. We got a room when we came in at 11am, with a water and golf course view at OKW.

As for our first trip home, the CMs were nothing but polite and helpful. I didnt see anyone screaming or being demanding to the CMs except when we were over having lunch at POFQ, which isnt even a DVC resort. We got lots of welcome homes, starting with the gate guard, who, when she realized this was our first trip, gave us detailed directions on where to go, and what to do for check in.

So even if some castmembers hate DCVer, obviously not all of them do. And not liking someone is not reason to stop being polite to them, even in an informal outlet like an online message board.

Califgirl
01-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I've been reading this thread since the beginning. I have to say that I understand exactly what the OP is trying to convey.

I also work at a hotel that is 1/2 hotel and 1/2 timeshare. The huge majority of our guests from either side are wonderful! However, when a guest starts to rant and rave and be demanding on fairly small issues, it really is almost always a timeshare guest. This is also true for tipping. The timeshare side has a reputation (it must have been earned somehow!) for being ... well, let's say tight. Most guests do tip appropriately, but when a tip is nonexistent, or extremely low, it is almost always a timeshare guest.

Do timeshare guets get a different level of service? No. We treat them as courteously as every other person who walks onto our property. We're glad they have come to visit. Most of our guests are wonderful people and I am glad to get to meet them.

But, as stated above, the majority of 'problem guests' and small tippers really do turn out to be from the timeshare side. (Remember, these people are a very small overall percentage of our guests.)

And yes, if there is a problem with a guest, there are notes made in their file for customer service reasons. We want people to be satisfied. This allows us to be aware of current and potential problems, and to make sure the guest is happy during future visits. If there is a pattern there, well, I'm sure it is noted.

I'm sure the OP could have worded the post in a less inflammatory way. I just want my fellow DVCers to realize that DVC is not the only 1/2 hotel, 1/2 timeshare property that has this issue. I do believe, as many have already stated, that this 'difficult guest' attitude comes from a small percentage of timeshare owners who have a strong sense of entitlement.

KNWVIKING
01-22-2005, 03:43 PM
****"And yes, if there is a problem with a guest, there are notes made in their file for customer service reasons. We want people to be satisfied. This allows us to be aware of current and potential problems, and to make sure the guest is happy during future visits. If there is a pattern there, well, I'm sure it is noted."****

Do you know what this tells me ? You're afraid of him !! It means "don't give the jerk the dumpster view because he'll have a fit ". End result is the jerk is catered too and the nice guys get the shaft.

Rash
01-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Do you know what this tells me ? You're afraid of him !! It means "don't give the jerk the dumpster view because he'll have a fit ". End result is the jerk is catered too and the nice guys get the shaft.

It could mean that, but it doesn't have to. I work in a health care facility. While we don't explicitly note difficult behavior in the patient's file, we do use a code that basically says "tread lightly with this one". It never hurts to know beforehand if your dealing with a difficult individual. They may be treated with kid gloves, but the rules aren't bent for them. We just know to be extra careful in explaining the rules to such a person.

jarestel
01-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Customer service is what distinguishes one corporate entity from another and the business ( or individual ) who doesn't recognize this is probably always going to be chasing market share from their competitors who do. Though a minority of consumers may be so in love with a product they will tolerate almost anything for the privilege of spending their money on it, the majority of American consumers expect "service after the sale". If Disney didn't have a reputation for providing top notch customer service, DVC would in all likelihood, not even exist.

Should obnoxious, rude customers be catered to? If they have a reasonable complaint that's presented in an unreasonable manner, a properly trained service person should be able to manage the situation. After all, the problem the guest is experiencing is understandable and the CM should react appropriately to this. I suspect many people act unreasonably simply because they know from experience that many times this is the only way to get their problems dealt with. And once the customer understands that the CM is willing to work to resolve the difficulty, most people drop the act anyway.

An unreasonable complaint by an unreasonable person on the other hand, should never be catered to. Again, properly trained CMs would handle the situation without becoming emotional or engaging in verbal jousting with the customer. Once the unreasonable customer sees that they're getting nowhere fast, they will usually depart on their own with the customary, "I'm writing letters to Walt" threat, but if the rules have been followed, the CM has done his/her job and the irate customers have spent valuable vacation time making public fools of themselves.

It's all part of the job, a job that not everyone can handle, but not everyone can be plumbers or astronauts or teachers either.

KNWVIKING
01-22-2005, 05:02 PM
.... but I can't come up with an example of what a CM should do special for Mr Jerk that he/she shouldn't do for all guests automatically. If a CM see's a flag be Mr J's name, what could they do to kiss his butt more ?? If they know he's checking in today, do they alert housekeeping to be sure his room is cleaned first thing in the morning so he doesn't have to wait till 4 pm ?? Are they instructed to make it extra clean ?? When MS brings up Mr J's name when he calls for a ressie, does the flag make it possible that they book -right then and there - exactly what he requests so he won't cry at check-in ?? Is there a note that says "Must be NS,absolutely no HC and no dumpster or parking lot views ???

Rash
01-22-2005, 05:45 PM
.... but I can't come up with an example of what a CM should do special for Mr Jerk that he/she shouldn't do for all guests automatically. If a CM see's a flag be Mr J's name, what could they do to kiss his butt more ?? If they know he's checking in today, do they alert housekeeping to be sure his room is cleaned first thing in the morning so he doesn't have to wait till 4 pm ?? Are they instructed to make it extra clean ?? When MS brings up Mr J's name when he calls for a ressie, does the flag make it possible that they book -right then and there - exactly what he requests so he won't cry at check-in ?? Is there a note that says "Must be NS,absolutely no HC and no dumpster or parking lot views ???

it's not that the CM should do any of those things it's just that advance notice of the potential for a situation may help him/her prepare for it. Yes, part of that may mean an extra smile or "have a nice day", but it shouldn't mean special privileges.

Rash
01-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Customer service is what distinguishes one corporate entity from another and the business ( or individual ) who doesn't recognize this is probably always going to be chasing market share from their competitors who do. Though a minority of consumers may be so in love with a product they will tolerate almost anything for the privilege of spending their money on it, the majority of American consumers expect "service after the sale". If Disney didn't have a reputation for providing top notch customer service, DVC would in all likelihood, not even exist.

Should obnoxious, rude customers be catered to? If they have a reasonable complaint that's presented in an unreasonable manner, a properly trained service person should be able to manage the situation. After all, the problem the guest is experiencing is understandable and the CM should react appropriately to this. I suspect many people act unreasonably simply because they know from experience that many times this is the only way to get their problems dealt with. And once the customer understands that the CM is willing to work to resolve the difficulty, most people drop the act anyway.

An unreasonable complaint by an unreasonable person on the other hand, should never be catered to. Again, properly trained CMs would handle the situation without becoming emotional or engaging in verbal jousting with the customer. Once the unreasonable customer sees that they're getting nowhere fast, they will usually depart on their own with the customary, "I'm writing letters to Walt" threat, but if the rules have been followed, the CM has done his/her job and the irate customers have spent valuable vacation time making public fools of themselves.

It's all part of the job, a job that not everyone can handle, but not everyone can be plumbers or astronauts or teachers either.

Couldn't have said it better.

KNWVIKING
01-22-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm not convinced that a CM should ever treat one guest better or even differently simply because of a "list", but I guess to be on the safe side I should try and get on it next time I'm in The World ;-)

Can't hurt,right ?!?!?!

Rash
01-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Can't hurt,right ?!?!?!

Only if you run into WDWZues.

DrTomorrow
01-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Customer service is what distinguishes one corporate entity from another and the business ( or individual ) who doesn't recognize this is probably always going to be chasing market share from their competitors who do. Though a minority of consumers may be so in love with a product they will tolerate almost anything for the privilege of spending their money on it, the majority of American consumers expect "service after the sale". [...] I respectfully disagree with this generalization, particularly the portion I bolded. There are many factors which consumers use to make a purchase decision - product quality, price, brand, convenience, etc. - and customer service is only one of them. As for expecting "service after the sale", I believe that the trend towards retailers that offer lower cost but lower customer service (Wal-Mart is the extreme, but most of the big box stores qualify) and away from smaller shops that offer personal service at higher prices shows that the opposite is true. I know that personally I'd rather do the research, make my decision then buy the product at the lowest price; if the product functions, there's no need for "service after the sale" - I don't want someone calling me trying to sell me more....

As for "The Customer is always right", sorry, wrong answer. As both a small business owner (software) and a customer, I've experienced more than enough situations where the customer was definitely in the wrong. Have I made attempts to accomodate them? Yes - but they weren't "right".

To me, the sad truth is that the days of CMs going the extra mile - as the rule, not the exception - are as much a part of yesterday as guests who were courteous in their requests and realistic in their expectations. All over the DIS, and allearsnet, and r.a.d.p you can find examples of how to work the system to get every last drop you're entitled too - and a lot that you're not. With this mentality, I'm not surprised that Disney CMs respond by only giving the bare minimum - and less.

IMHO - YMMV

Sammie
01-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not convinced that a CM should ever treat one guest better or even differently simply because of a "list", but I guess to be on the safe side I should try and get on it next time I'm in The World ;-)

Can't hurt,right ?!?!?!

It's not as common in DVC since we are all members and should be treated equally, but surely you are familar with VIP treatment. Even Disney has different resort ID colors to indenify VIPs.

Surely you know when Oprah and Princess Diana checked in the Grand Floridian their rooms were spotless and no they did not have to wait.

Sammie
01-22-2005, 07:25 PM
I respectfully disagree with this generalization, particularly the portion I bolded. There are many factors which consumers use to make a purchase decision - product quality, price, brand, convenience, etc. - and customer service is only one of them. As for expecting "service after the sale", I believe that the trend towards retailers that offer lower cost but lower customer service (Wal-Mart is the extreme, but most of the big box stores qualify) and away from smaller shops that offer personal service at higher prices shows that the opposite is true. I know that personally I'd rather do the research, make my decision then buy the product at the lowest price; if the product functions, there's no need for "service after the sale" - I don't want someone calling me trying to sell me more....

As for "The Customer is always right", sorry, wrong answer. As both a small business owner (software) and a customer, I've experienced more than enough situations where the customer was definitely in the wrong. Have I made attempts to accomodate them? Yes - but they weren't "right".

To me, the sad truth is that the days of CMs going the extra mile - as the rule, not the exception - are as much a part of yesterday as guests who were courteous in their requests and realistic in their expectations. All over the DIS, and allearsnet, and r.a.d.p you can find examples of how to work the system to get every last drop you're entitled too - and a lot that you're not. With this mentality, I'm not surprised that Disney CMs respond by only giving the bare minimum - and less.

IMHO - YMMV

As always a very well stated and accurate opinion.

As Tim McGraw sang so well, "It's all way over-rated, I like the old and
out-dated "Way of life Back When."

KNWVIKING
01-22-2005, 07:26 PM
...I'm not talking about people who are willing to pay mega $$$$ for that VIP treatment. However, VIP treatment is a tangible product when there is money involved. Oprah is paying extra to have head of line priviledge. She's not paying more for polite CM's. The cost of a polite CM is the same at All Stars and GF.

KNWVIKING
01-22-2005, 07:40 PM
The customer is not always right. We all want to keep our customers happy and keep them as customers. But sometimes - as a business owner or manager - you just have to say enough-is-enough. A "bad apple" customer will ruin the morale of your employees just as quickly as a bad employee will.

Just recently I've had to tell a customer it was time he's found a new dealer. Everybody was tired of his arrogance,sarcasm and unrealistic expectation. Bottom line is that in order to keep this unreasonable customer happy - or at least attempt too - we'd have to do it by neglecting another customer. Sorry, but I don't need the aggravation. And guess what ? The only reason this guy was in my shop - 30 miles away - was because the dealer in his back yard told him to take a hike.

Jerks don't stop being Jerks just because they're called Customer.

Sammie
01-22-2005, 08:02 PM
...I'm not talking about people who are willing to pay mega $$$$ for that VIP treatment. However, VIP treatment is a tangible product when there is money involved. Oprah is paying extra to have head of line priviledge. She's not paying more for polite CM's. The cost of a polite CM is the same at All Stars and GF.

Sometimes it is a service not paid for. It happens everywhere. Probably not as much at DVC.

wdwfan1
01-22-2005, 09:04 PM
We are new DVC members and stayed twice so far. The first time was at VWL. I told them it was our first visit as members and requested "anything but the dreaded dumpster view". We arrived at 9:30 am, and got--you guessed it--the dumpster view. We were a little disappointed, but did not complain. Only stayed four nights, so we didnt get any housekeeping. I tipped anyway since the room was clean when we arrived, so someone must have cleaned it. Had a good time.

Second visit to OKW. Did not get requests, but no problem-- did not complain. Had a great time. Got sick on checkout day. Requested late check-out (didnt realize it is never available). Was denied--no problem even though I was vomitting all day until our flight. Again, tipped housekeeping and did not complain about anything.

So--two trips, new member, no complaints even though requests were not met. Ane we are from New York!

Rash
01-22-2005, 09:18 PM
There are many factors which consumers use to make a purchase decision - product quality, price, brand, convenience, etc. - and customer service is only one of them. As for expecting "service after the sale", I believe that the trend towards retailers that offer lower cost but lower customer service (Wal-Mart is the extreme, but most of the big box stores qualify) and away from smaller shops that offer personal service at higher prices shows that the opposite is true.

I agree with this when someone is buying a physical product that can be bought at many locations. But I do not believe ths applies when someone is buying a service or a one-of-a-kind product. Disney actual uses the terms "legendary service" and "one-of-a-kind" in it's marketing, which implies a value that cannot be researched or bought elsewhere.

In addition, I believe the low expectations of service after the sale that you are referring to in your statement is the service of the of the product seller. In reality, what we are talking about here is the service of the product manufacturer. IOW, when you purchase a stereo from Wal-Mart, you're expectation of Wal-Mart service may be low, but I bet your expectatons of the stereo manufacturer's service is higher (1 year warranty, etc.) To relate to DVC - you may not expect fantastic customer service with regards to the actual purchase of DVC, but you have every right to expect the product manufacturer to warrant it's product to some degree. When Disney markets DVC with terms like "legendary service" and doesn't provide it fairly regularly, that's no different than a stereo claiming crystal clear sound but putting out static. Doesn't matter what you paid for it, the product doesn't do what it claims.

Well, this is a problem, and you're right, the internet has allowed for a much more informed consumer, and unfortunately some people abuse that. But that's reality, and companies everywhere are struggling with it. The challenge is to deal appropriately with the troublemakers without letting that affect your general attitude toward your overall customer base.

rinkwide
01-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Without us from the Northeast, the word would be a boring place!:idea:

Must be those accents.

Rash
01-22-2005, 10:30 PM
rinkwide - you'd think by now I would not laugh when I see the video in your signature, but I still can't help it.

athenna
01-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Rinkwide-
I love my accent! It gives us character! :flower1:

greenban
01-23-2005, 06:58 AM
:idea:

Must be those accents.

Dear Rinkwide:

What accents?

Yo! We don't have no accents, youse guys have da accents!

And I too love cowbell guy ;)

-Tony

Hmmmm, perhaps a poll on who has the accent, rinkwide or us naughty nor'easterners.......

disney junky
01-23-2005, 08:08 AM
hasn't this thread died yet?

Rash
01-23-2005, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=greenban] Yo! We don't have no accents, youse guys have da accents!QUOTE]

Do I detect a Philly accent? Eagles fan maybe?

DrBond007
01-23-2005, 08:40 AM

I have to deal with unreasonable complaints by unreasonable persons all the time. I train others on the the skills on how to handle these situations, and just got finished with training other teachers to teach others. I work in a healthcare environment, and get people who are emotionally over the egde, some in the middle of life and death situations. While unreasonable complaints by an unreasonable persons should not be catered too, they certainly can be handled, especially in the hospitality industry, where the situations are not so critical. Some skills can be taught, but people need to have an inherent sense of value for others. Proper behavioral interviewing can help distinguish those displaying that sense of value.

However, I don't feel the OPs lack of skills negate the message that some DVC members can be excessively demanding and overly particular.

greenban
01-23-2005, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=greenban] Yo! We don't have no accents, youse guys have da accents!QUOTE]

Do I detect a Philly accent? Eagles fan maybe?

I'm impressed! Born in South Philly (Rugby Street) Moved to Cherry Hill, NJ (now in NW NJ)

Eagles fan Strong word, that word fan. Used to be, had my heart broken too many times. Still wishing them well, and expecting them to choke....sigh!

Yo! back at ya!

-Tony

OneMoreTry
01-23-2005, 10:00 AM
I have to deal with unreasonable complaints by unreasonable persons all the time. I train others on the the skills on how to handle these situations, and just got finished with training other teachers to teach others. I work in a healthcare environment, and get people who are emotionally over the egde, some in the middle of life and death situations. While unreasonable complaints by an unreasonable persons should not be catered too, they certainly can be handled, especially in the hospitality industry, where the situations are not so critical. Some skills can be taught, but people need to have an inherent sense of value for others. Proper behavioral interviewing can help distinguish those displaying that sense of value.

However, I don't feel the OPs lack of skills negate the message that some DVC members can be excessively demanding and overly particular.

I hope everyone who is still interested in this thread has read this. I think this is the crux of it. I think the management failed their employees AND their guests.

I would add that I think the OP may need to speak with an experienced counselor. Evidently the stress of his/her job unmasked some serious issues. In the meantime I would like to send a :love: and I hope you can let go of the bitterness and forgive those who hurt you.

Ksp
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Why are you only picking on people from the Northeast? New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania... There are jerks from other parts of the country too you know.

Just a NJ comment:
During one of our visits last year some kids pushed ahead of the line at the MK monorail station - as a NJ resident, the CM's words caught my ear, "...what, are you guys from NJ?"
Guess we must all be a rude, pushy bunch since we've all been labeled that way.
:charac2: After all, I've certainly never met anyone from any other state/country who was rude.... ;)

Moobooks
01-23-2005, 10:34 AM
The CM who gave the dumpster view to the guest who arrived at the Wilderness Lodge Villas at 9:30 am (after the customer SPECIFICALLY requested that they not receive the "dumpster view )" deserved a good tongue lashing from that guest--NOT complacent acceptance. Complacent acceptance only reinforces that type of unacceptable behavior from any service employee. Employees who specifically go out of their way to do the opposite of what guests politely request are not good employees. And it is THOSE types of employees who force guests to go downstairs and request a room change and speak to a manager. And it is those type of employees who created these situations, not the guests.

cseca
01-23-2005, 11:06 AM
I know this isn't the point of the thread but since I hear this several times now, I'm just wondering...

Can't Disney just move the dumpster somewhere else out of view?
I'm sure the resort is big enough that it shouldn't be a problem... ???
I'm confused...
then that would eliminate this "no dumpster view" request once and for all... :listen:

anyways, I owned at WLV and haven't gotten the dumpster view yet, so maybe I'm taking too light of this situation.

Peterd
01-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I gave a room to a friend who loved WL. I felt pretty bad when he said after the dumpster view, they would rather not risk staying there again. They didn't complain, just didn't enjoy the view as much as they had in the past.

Rash
01-23-2005, 11:45 AM

I hope everyone who is still interested in this thread has read this. I think this is the crux of it. I think the management failed their employees AND their guests.

I would add that I think the OP may need to speak with an experienced counselor. Evidently the stress of his/her job unmasked some serious issues. In the meantime I would like to send a and I hope you can let go of the bitterness and forgive those who hurt you.
Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Rash
01-23-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm impressed! Born in South Philly (Rugby Street) Moved to Cherry Hill, NJ (now in NW NJ)

Eagles fan Strong word, that word fan. Used to be, had my heart broken too many times. Still wishing them well, and expecting them to choke....sigh!

Yo! back at ya!

-Tony

Also grew up in Philly - Northeast. Family is still there. I left in 1992, in Cary, NC now.

Don't despair - this is the year!!!!

GO EAGLES!!!

PamOKW
01-23-2005, 12:40 PM
This is also true for tipping. The timeshare side has a reputation (it must have been earned somehow!) for being ... well, let's say tight. Most guests do tip appropriately, but when a tip is nonexistent, or extremely low, it is almost always a timeshare guest.

This is a concern I have when I read on these boards about DVC'ers who don't tip. There is a laundry list of reasons they give for not tipping and it is a personal decision. However, I think if DVC resorts get a reputation among the CMs for not tipping as well as other resorts, the good CMs will not want to work there. Cleaning a GV is a lot more difficult than cleaning a single hotel room and if the pay is the same (or less) due to tipping, where would you work? I try to tip comparably to what I would tip at a hotel and bump the amount up based on the size of the unit. And yes, I do a lot of clean-up in the unit as well.

WOW
01-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster------unfortunately I can relate to your post. We, here in the North East (Metro Area) seem to have this mentality that we are deserving of everything in this world and if that doesn't happen we choose to be arrogant!!!! I was brought up in PA and have lived in NJ 37 years and I cannot wait to move to Florida----hopefully 1 -2 more years. One of the reasons, I believe, is that this is such a densely populated area-----way too many people squeezed into a small area. When we are at OKW, I can almost always spot the people fron NJ/NY and I am proud to say that our family is in no way like most people. We are very fortunate that we were able to buy into DVC in 1993 and we always treat the CM with respect and we are probably over generous with our tipping, which is fine.

Just a quick note: When our OKW trip is finished and we are at the airport, it is like a whole different world with the people waiting at the gate bound for Newark.....it is not a good feeling. When our children were young, even they noticed it...... :wave2:

jarestel
01-23-2005, 01:03 PM
I respectfully disagree with this generalization, particularly the portion I bolded. There are many factors which consumers use to make a purchase decision - product quality, price, brand, convenience, etc. - and customer service is only one of them. As for expecting "service after the sale", I believe that the trend towards retailers that offer lower cost but lower customer service (Wal-Mart is the extreme, but most of the big box stores qualify) and away from smaller shops that offer personal service at higher prices shows that the opposite is true.

DrT, Disney definitely does NOT offer lower cost in the Orlando timeshare market as they are one of the most expensive. There ARE many reasons for buying DVC but price competitveness is certainly not one of them. Brand name and quality are valid reasons, but again customer service is a key component in establishing the brand as desireable, without which the brand and quality both become tarnished.

Bottom line is, Disney would never endorse your idea of customer service as legitimate since they've worked long and hard to achieve a public persona that values the way they treat their customers. Now individuals within any organization may disagree with the corporate goals, but those people tend to find new lines of work, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Any company can sell you stuff, but the real difference lies in how they resolve problems that occur, and all products will have problems. The company that leaves me on my own to work out my own problem will be a company that never gets another dime of my money. And in the hospitality industry, you can't afford to throw away repeat business. But as I say, it's a moot point anyway because the Disney Company doesn't endorse poor customer service.

tinkerbell of winter
01-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Is this post for real? Wow! That's all I have to say, i'm speechless!

DVCPAT
01-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Any company can sell you stuff, but the real difference lies in how they resolve problems that occur, and all products will have problems. The company that leaves me on my own to work out my own problem will be a company that never gets another dime of my money. And in the hospitality industry, you can't afford to throw away repeat business. But as I say, it's a moot point anyway because the Disney Company doesn't endorse poor customer service.

I agree 100%, your competition never sits still. If you fail to provide great customer service, your competitor will gladly fill the void. Problems are always opportunities in disguise (I think the Chinese use the same word for problem and opportunity). A problem customer can be recorded and provide “how to” training for employees. Smaller companies seem to let employees wear their heart on their sleeve and allow bad situations to escalate. Billion dollar corporations realize how much a polite/rude customer is worth over the next 20 years. It’s about winning the war , not a small battle.

MommaluvsDis
01-23-2005, 10:36 PM
I cannot help myself, I simply must reply. I feel that there are very few reasons for a person to be rude. However, when we checked into to the WL before we'd purchased into the DVC, the CM that waited on us was extremely haughty and rude. This was not my first time to Disney and I was embarrassed that my friend that was with us was witnessing this kind of behavior after I'd told her how nice and helpful the CMs were. This was her first time to visit the Magical Place.

This CM was short and gave snappy answers to the two questions we asked. When I asked for the complimentary lanyards and pins that were a part of our American Express offer, she slammed them on the desk.

We went in with a smile, quietly waited our turn and greeted her with a very pleasant, "Hello. You have a beautiful place here."

So, it works both ways. We always tip everyone that assists us and we tip with a smile and a thankyou along with money. True, CMs are there to serve and assist and are not our doormats but we're not CM's doormats either.

There are rude people on both sides of the counter.

Crissup
01-23-2005, 11:30 PM
However, when we checked into to the WL before we'd purchased into the DVC, the CM that waited on us was extremely haughty and rude.

Worst check-in we ever had was at VWL. The CM was a complete disaster. He screwed up our keys, ended up losing one of them, and then couldn't understand why I felt we didn't have all our keys. When I pointed out that if he was correct, then we only have 5 keys for 6 adults, he still didn't get it. We finally demanded a manager. Explained to the manager what was going on and the manager issued another key. Three hours later, my key stopped working (it was one of the keys the first CM was trying to fix). I had to call the front desk and wait for them to send another CM up to let me into my room.

DrBond007
01-23-2005, 11:38 PM
I respectfully disagree with this generalization, particularly the portion I bolded. There are many factors which consumers use to make a purchase decision - product quality, price, brand, convenience, etc. - and customer service is only one of them. As for expecting "service after the sale", I believe that the trend towards retailers that offer lower cost but lower customer service (Wal-Mart is the extreme, but most of the big box stores qualify) and away from smaller shops that offer personal service at higher prices shows that the opposite is true. I know that personally I'd rather do the research, make my decision then buy the product at the lowest price; if the product functions, there's no need for "service after the sale" - I don't want someone calling me trying to sell me more....

IMHO - YMMV
The SERVICE PROFIT CHAIN by James L. Heskett, W. Earl Sasser, Leonard A. Schlesinger and Putting the Service-Profit Chain to Work (HBR OnPoint Enhanced Edition) by James L. Heskett, Thomas O. Jones, Gary Loveman, W. Earl, Jr. Sasser, Leonard A. Schlesinger are great resources to describe teh relationships between the factors you mention - "product quality, price, brand, convenience, etc. - and customer service is only one of them." It may shed some new light on the importance and priority of customer loyalty. In many businesses, like in the healthcare business, people percieve overall quality (even competence and product quality) by service quality (which is a bit larger than just customer service).

I agree, they are not always right, but must be allowed to be wrong with dignity. A business design cannot be designed around the exceptions and those seeking to take excessive advantage.

Thanks for raising the discussion points, they are good ones.

3DisneyNUTS
01-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster------unfortunately I can relate to your post. We, here in the North East (Metro Area) seem to have this mentality that we are deserving of everything in this world and if that doesn't happen we choose to be arrogant!!!! I was brought up in PA and have lived in NJ 37 years and I cannot wait to move to Florida----hopefully 1 -2 more years. One of the reasons, I believe, is that this is such a densely populated area-----way too many people squeezed into a small area. When we are at OKW, I can almost always spot the people fron NJ/NY and I am proud to say that our family is in no way like most people. We are very fortunate that we were able to buy into DVC in 1993 and we always treat the CM with respect and we are probably over generous with our tipping, which is fine.

Just a quick note: When our OKW trip is finished and we are at the airport, it is like a whole different world with the people waiting at the gate bound for Newark.....it is not a good feeling. When our children were young, even they noticed it...... :wave2:

I take offense to this and just because you wrote such a biased post I am glad you feel you are not like other Northeaster's. I know here we do not classify people according to their region. Jerks can live in any part of the world. Please don't continue to give credit to a ridiculous stereotype. It is ignorant to believe that regionality leads to a "type" of person. JFYI you will probably see more "northeasters" in Florida than you can imagine.

Dizholic
01-24-2005, 08:12 AM
I am a lurker that usually just reads what everyone has to say, but on this subject I had to comment. I always try to be nice no matter where I am, whether it is the supermarket, Target, or checking into a Hotel. When I do come across a person having a bad day I call them on it. I ask if they are having a bad day, if they say no, then I ask if there is a reason why they are being nasty to me. Usually this is like a wake up call to them, because sometimes they don't realize the are being nasty. If this does not work, and they continue to act the same way, I ask for a manager. I will not allow someone to treat me poorly, especially when I have done nothing to deserve it.
I do have to say, I have stayed in alot of Hotels at Disney, and I have never had a problem. ºoº

doubletrouble_vb
01-24-2005, 08:36 AM

As a long time NJ resident who was born in Amityville and raised on the island...tell me how do you spot NYMetro people? I wouldn't be able to spot them unless they started talking. And I have to agree with the poster who observed that there are a ton of northeasterners in the southern states now. A microcosm of the globalisation of the economy.

FLORIDAFUNFAMILY
01-24-2005, 11:20 AM
this is so silly !! :cool1:

goofynme
01-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Why castmembers HATE DVC members??

I realize the OP is young and hurt but WOW that is a heavy, and certainly unwise, statement.

SueOKW
01-24-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm so tempted to start a tongue in cheek thread -

why dvc members hate cast members...

1 - they are always smiling
2 - what's with their inability to point with one finger????
3 - and really, why ARE they always so darn helpful???

but, i figure there might be some who would think i really was bashing CMs
hee hee!!!

:jumping1:

Patty3
01-24-2005, 03:03 PM
The respect needs to go both ways. Personally, I am glad that you no longer work at a DVC hotel. Your hatred of DVC members shows through to your subordinates and only creates an atmosphere of discontent.

AKDVCfriend
01-27-2005, 03:00 AM
I have worked for many years in the Customer Service industry and have had a lot of training about providing Customer Service (I have been a front desk clerk, as well). I have been attacked verbally by very frustrated people on many occassions - I just happened to be the lucky soul a that time. I have learned that there are many kinds of people everywhere. When these things happen all you can do is try your best to smooth-over and remedy the situation, sometimes it won't matter what you do - that person won't be happy. This all being said, I don't think that all Cast Members hate DVC members - it's a very broad sweeping statement. Next time you feel you are being honest and constructive - try to stick to facts, provide examples and solutions to the problems (eliminate emotional adjectives). We don't all deserve the "rap" for the few. My husband and I love Disney because everyone is friendly and wonderfull, we tip everyone, and I even like to bring special treats from our area for the frontdesk and housekeeping staffs. I wish I could give you a solution for your frustration, but I don't have one. I just hope that soon, your good experiences out-weigh the bad - or maybe you should try a career change that doesn't require so much exposure to people. Good luck and hope you have a better month. :earsboy: :cheer2:

athenna
01-27-2005, 07:45 AM
Thank you, AKDVCfriend!
We all appreciate that. I knew there was no way, ''all CM's hate all DVC'ers''. When I first read the OP, I was nervous, as I am a new DVC member, and haven't yet made my first DVC trip.
I pictured the CM at the front desk running away when they found out not only was a new DVC'er, but that I'm from New England.
I have only had pleasant experiences with CM's. And I am not the type to complain about something. And if I ever had to, I would never take it out on a CM.
We do appreciate your customer service, and the other CM's service. And I am proud to be a new member of the DVC community. :grouphug:
:flower1:

rayelias
01-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm so tempted to start a tongue in cheek thread -

why dvc members hate cast members...

but, i figure there might be some who would think i really was bashing CMs
hee hee!!!

4. When they're nice to my family, they make me look bad by comparison.
5. They make me feel guilty having a magical time on vacation while they're stuck working and servicing me.
6. They get to spend much more time in WDW than I do.

idratherbeinwdw
01-27-2005, 11:36 AM
4. When they're nice to my family, they make me look bad by comparison.
5. They make me feel guilty having a magical time on vacation while they're stuck working and servicing me.
6. They get to spend much more time in WDW than I do.

Gettin' in on the fun:

7. They get to wear really neat costumes at work.
8. They are nice and warm in FL and where I live it is freezing.
9. They get to go places in WDW behind the scenes that are even more interesting than the Behind the Scenes Tours show.
pirate: :banana::disrocks: ;)

bongo59
01-27-2005, 12:38 PM
As a long time NJ resident who was born in Amityville and raised on the island...tell me how do you spot NYMetro people? I wouldn't be able to spot them unless they started talking. And I have to agree with the poster who observed that there are a ton of northeasterners in the southern states now. A microcosm of the globalisation of the economy.having been born and raised in manhattan and now living in the south ..........it is easy.........the accent gives NYers and Bostonians away with easy..............i just never knew it when i was a NYer......

bongo59
01-27-2005, 12:41 PM
As a long time NJ resident who was born in Amityville and raised on the island...tell me how do you spot NYMetro people? I wouldn't be able to spot them unless they started talking. And I have to agree with the poster who observed that there are a ton of northeasterners in the southern states now. A microcosm of the globalisation of the economy.having been born and raised in manhattan and now living in the south ..........it is easy.........the accent gives NYers and Bostonians away with easy..............i just never knew it when i was a NYer......and CM see your demographics at check in so that really is a no brainer

idratherbeinwdw
01-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletrouble_vb
As a long time NJ resident who was born in Amityville and raised on the island...tell me how do you spot NYMetro people? I wouldn't be able to spot them unless they started talking. And I have to agree with the poster who observed that there are a ton of northeasterners in the southern states now. A microcosm of the globalisation of the economy

having been born and raised in manhattan and now living in the south ..........it is easy.........the accent gives NYers and Bostonians away with easy..............i just never knew it when i was a NYer......

Bongo, Double trouble asked how you would know if they weren't speaking. I think once people talk it's usually not too hard to figure out where they are from, especially if you've traveled around the US.

However I do think some people CAN tell just by looking, even though I am not one of those people. I say this because it happened to me and my friend. We were in Savannah GA and were walking back to our room at a resort and we were not speaking. Two guys were walking in the opposite direction and as they passed us they said "Looks like we got two Northern Girls here". My friend and I could not for the life of us figure out how they knew, since we were sure we weren't talking.

So to those of you who think they CAN tell--what signs do you look for? :confused3

wtpclc
01-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't know about telling NYers from MI people, but when I was in Georgia in January wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the natives were wearing sweaters and turtle necks, that was probably an easy was of telling that we were from the north! :teeth:

Frozenfingers
01-27-2005, 01:32 PM
...in Georgia in January wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the natives were wearing sweaters and turtle necks, ...

tanlines....

Pa@okw95
01-28-2005, 09:50 AM
The OP is an example of what has been reported at the front desk at BCV many times on this site. Like I said about these reports in the past, once it starts (that being the bad attitude), it spreads and can be difficult to fix. It is easy to understand how this happens especially at a dual resort like BCV.

KNWVIKING
01-28-2005, 09:58 AM
...... but is that the best you got ;-)

I've been reading this 24 page marathon thread just waiting for an epic essay from you and what do I get...three lines !!!

Pa@okw95
01-28-2005, 10:16 AM
...... but is that the best you got ;-)

I've been reading this 24 page marathon thread just waiting for an epic essay from you and what do I get...three lines !!!

Sorry Knwviking--After I spent this past month at OKW and had 3 units all that needed repair, I really can no longer pick on BCV, I think OKW may be joining BCV as far as the repair issue is concerned, I hope I am wrong. I glad to hear you missed me and waited to hear from me. It makes me feel wanted :teeth: :sunny: ;) :goodvibes :) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

AFMom
01-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Not to argue - that's a bummer that the rooms needed repair, you never want to see a resort slide.... but we had 2 different 1 bedrooms and our friends stayed in a studio there in October, and the rooms were absolutely mint condition. I couldn't believe it - they looked new. Of course, we were only there for a week, and have never stayed there before, so we could have been lucky! Hopefully none of the resorts will be allowed to go downhill - all of us have way too much invested in this for that to happen! Glad you reported the problems, it seems that's the only way they get fixed.

Pa@okw95
01-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Not to argue - that's a bummer that the rooms needed repair, you never want to see a resort slide.... but we had 2 different 1 bedrooms and our friends stayed in a studio there in October, and the rooms were absolutely mint condition. I couldn't believe it - they looked new. Of course, we were only there for a week, and have never stayed there before, so we could have been lucky! Hopefully none of the resorts will be allowed to go downhill - all of us have way too much invested in this for that to happen! Glad you reported the problems, it seems that's the only way they get fixed.

This was my 18th vacation at OKW and I never had any problem before. I hope they are not letting things go either. The stripped water faucet really concerns me, the door to the porch could be explained away, also the compressor running 24/7 can also be explained by saying that you would not know it is running 24/7 unless you stayed there, the dimmer button and the throw pillows may have been just over looked. I rented 3 units and they all had a problem-never before did I have this at OKW

KNWVIKING
01-28-2005, 10:29 AM
All the rooms are on a rotating refurb cycle so it's possible to get a room in less then grand shape just before it's taken out of service. However, housekeeping should pay closer attention to the condition of the rooms & furnishings. If something needs fixing or replaced, it shouldn't wait till it's refurb time.

Of course, we as members need to do our part and report defects as we find them and not expect "the next guy" to do it.

Pa@okw95
01-28-2005, 10:33 AM
All the rooms are on a rotating refurb cycle so it's possible to get a room in less then grand shape just before it's taken out of service. However, housekeeping should pay closer attention to the condition of the rooms & furnishings. If something needs fixing or replaced, it shouldn't wait till it's refurb time.

Of course, we as members need to do our part and report defects as we find them and not expect "the next guy" to do it.

I reported all the problems to maintenance on the day we left each unit. Did not want anyone up there while I was there, especially with the compressor situation.

wtpclc
01-28-2005, 11:42 AM
I glad to hear you missed me and waited to hear from me. It makes me feel wanted :teeth: :sunny: ;) :goodvibes :) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I was beginning to worry about you myself. Glad you were off having fun! Sorry about your rooms, though!

calypso*a*go-go
01-28-2005, 12:56 PM
I just figured you'd taken up residence in the OKW guard shack to keep the riff-raff out. :teeth:

Pa@okw95
01-28-2005, 03:23 PM
I just figured you'd taken up residence in the OKW guard shack to keep the riff-raff out. :teeth:

That be like Custer's Last Stand or the Alamo. There are just too many of them to keep out now. That is why I go in January when there is less of them. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Pa@okw95
01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
I was beginning to worry about you myself. Glad you were off having fun! Sorry about your rooms, though!

You must mean PAMOKW, I am PaOKW95--she is a lot nicer than I.

anniet
01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
That be like Custer's Last Stand or the Alamo. There are just too many of them to keep out now. That is why I go in January when there is less of them. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm part of the riff raff that goes every January, at least I was.....but I liked it so much, I've bought a house in Cocoa, so there can be riff raff at WDW all year round!

I like to spread the love! :love: :love:

wtpclc
01-28-2005, 04:09 PM
You must mean PAMOKW, I am PaOKW95--she is a lot nicer than I.

Yes, Pam is nicer, but I'm not a newbie. I know the difference! I still worried, 'cause I knew you'd have something to say about this! I was also a little disappointed that you said so little. Even a vacation with bad rooms seems to have mellowed you. ;)

kathleena
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Sorry Knwviking--After I spent this past month at OKW and had 3 units all that needed repair, I really can no longer pick on BCV

I'm bookmarking this post Pa !!!!

StephenKay
01-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Hi there,

We travel every year across the pond to have a 2 week wonderful vacation in the world. Generally we stay away from DVC for the first 2 nights and in the past have enjoyed sampling the different resorts themes. When we book into DVC resort I am sorry to say that I have always noticed a different attitude to we DVC'ers by the check in staff. So much so I felt it necessary to comment to the desk manager at the BCV by phone, he said he had been made aware of this before but did not think it was founded on fact.

I am affraid to say that, we are seen as fill up class by the CM's!

;)

skippelm
02-04-2005, 07:55 PM
I have always pondered the infinite amount of reasons why visits to WDW resorts vary so greatly from visit to visit, but now I am quite positive I have the answer – crappy CM's such as the OP. I have seen the ever growing number of “mad at the world” CM's at both DVC and non-DVC resorts. Simply put, if all cast members had a little tiny bit of the culture and class you talked about, everyone’s experience would be much better. Culture and class are not for the wealthy or those with better mortgage terms, they are however, reserved for people who care about others – clearly not you.

Disney is a business, plain and simple. There will be good customers and bad customers, just as there are good and bad tenants in a multi-million dollar apartment in Trump Tower. There are also good and bad employees, who, with the use of basic customer service principles, can make it a positive experience for everyone. Until the rotation of the earth changes, the above is fact and you will need to deal with it. Therefore, shut up and deal with it. As Judson Green, former President of Walt Disney attractions said, “get on or off the bus”.

Furthermore, I have stayed at AAA 5 diamond hotels and none have a great clientele, so stop using that as an excuse for poor management. Leadership is about motivating and guiding employees to achieve great things for the company and its customers. You should learn from those that came before you, take accountability for causing the rating to drop, and treat ALL Disney customers, as “guests”.

Let me know which resort you are at so I can avoid it.

Mari annie
02-04-2005, 08:26 PM
That's why we never bought into any DVC's at WDW!

We have been going to WDW for 16 years, 2x's yearly, we have seen things ourselves like you have expressed, some families and people are just too high strung, and they are over vacationed* or something, I worked with JQP's (John Q. Public) for years and people do get tiresome, I mean all you are getting for big bucks is renting *space/time* from Disney, it's no different than getting a hotel room there-except you are locked into what month you can go!
You don't have any other rights* than any other JQP!!!
I mean we went to Olivia's for Lunch last year, and we overheard a family talking with another family, you would of thought they OWNED KeyWest themselves, NOT!
Along time ago we took the tour (my son was 1 he is now in HS) and we almost bought into the idea of buying into Disney, we decided no.
You are getting nothing for your money.

We come and stay, and have stayed at all the property's.

But we ended up buying in Celebration instead. I d rather have a key to a real home* that I can go to anytime I want to.
At the time we almost bought, they gave lifetime* tickets--and after 50 years the property was given right back to Disney. No thanks, If I am going to pay for something, my kids/grandkids will enjoy what we had to work so hard for.

We love the whole Disney thing, we go to all the parks, spend a ton when we come, and yes, we will stay at the Poly in two weeks.

To each their very own.

Have fun on all your Disney Trips! :cool1:

Muushka
02-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Oh my.....just when I thought the flames were out on this thread

I think I will just sit back and enjoy the fun :smooth:

Johnnie Fedora
02-04-2005, 09:19 PM
You are getting nothing for your money...........But we ended up buying in Celebration instead.

Glad your enjoying your Disney purchase, Maybe the OKW guests you overheard where enjoying theirs. We drove through Celebration and stopped in the models, but would never buy there. It's way over priced, and it gave us the creeps...in a "Stephen King" way....even more than the BWV clown pool!! To each his own on the spending money factor. :)

MilkandCookies
02-04-2005, 09:30 PM
wow.....what a post.

I think I am shock.

Rash
02-04-2005, 10:04 PM
wow.....what a post.

I think I am shock.

That says it all, doesn't it?

tjkraz
02-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Well, I think we finally have a winner as the most misinformed post in this thread. ;)

First time I read the post it came across as sour grapes from someone bitter they didn't buy into OKW about 13 years ago. You know, back when prices were about half of what they are now and free park tickets were included.

Now that I've re-read it a couple more times, I think it's just a case of ignorance. Go ahead, Mari annie, keep paying your hard-earned dollars for cash rooms at the Poly. I'm just not certain how making big cash payments for individual trips meets this criteria you cited: "If I am going to pay for something, my kids/grandkids will enjoy what we had to work so hard for."

Kadorto
02-04-2005, 11:07 PM
:firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight Mari annie...you might need these guys

Kadorto
02-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Oh...and this guy too :wizard: maybe a little pixie dust will help you get along with us poor DVC'ers

Beca
02-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Nah....no flames here....that is just one STINKY troll smell!!! (I mean, why else would you post that here? I can't imagine logging onto a Starwood site and writing that...someone's just LOOKING for responses. If you don't own DVC, and weren't looking to buy...why would you even be READING these boards?!!!)

:wave:

Beca

calypso*a*go-go
02-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Riddle me this: Why is Mari annie on the DVC C.B. forum anyway? Obviously there is still some interest on his/her part or they wouldn't be reading the posts here to start with. Perhaps we can get a Celebration C.B. started, eh?

Sorry Beca -- We must have been posting at the same time (as well as definitely being of the same mind set!).

DVCPAT
02-04-2005, 11:34 PM

We have been going to WDW for 16 years, 2x's yearly, we have seen things ourselves like you have expressed, some families and people are just too high strung, and they are over vacationed* or something, I worked with JQP's (John Q. Public) for years and people do get tiresome, I mean all you are getting for big bucks is renting *space/time* from Disney, it's no different than getting a hotel room there-except you are locked into what month you can go!
I mean we went to Olivia's for Lunch last year, and we overheard a family talking with another family, you would of thought they OWNED KeyWest themselves, NOT!
Along time ago we took the tour (my son was 1 he is now in HS) and we almost bought into the idea of buying into Disney, we decided no.

But we ended up buying in Celebration instead. I d rather have a key to a real home* that I can go to anytime I want to.
At the time we almost bought, they gave lifetime* tickets--and after 50 years the property was given right back to Disney. No thanks, If I am going to pay for something, my kids/grandkids will enjoy what we had to work so hard for.

We love the whole Disney thing, we go to all the parks, spend a ton when we come, and yes, we will stay at the Poly in two weeks.

To each their very own.

Have fun on all your Disney Trips! :cool1:

You sound very financially savvy. I’m curious how much you’ve spent on your 32+ Disney vacations in deluxe (poly) accommodations? I’ve only been a DVC member for 6 years, I hit the break even point one year ago. Another nice DVC perk (totally unexpected) is the cost per point appreciation. If the novelty of DVC wears thin, its nice to know I can sell at a profit.

I guess if your choice is buy DVC or buy a “real home” most definitely buy a real home first. DVC is for on-site Disney vacations. We enjoy the large accommodations. Once you stay in a one/two bedroom villa, its really hard to vacation in a conventional hotel room.

rinkwide
02-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Let me get this straight...

Someone comes on here and claims DVCers are "getting nothing for your money" and then brags about buying at Celebration but admits to still having to pay up the wazzoo to stay in a dinky little room at the Poly?

BAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!

That's a good one, tell me another.

Blackunicorn
02-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Wow. I found the OP very offensive. I'm going to try to keep this brief, I promise, and I'm trying to keep it nice.

1) DVC resorts are supposed to be quality resorts, and I expect to be treated like a guest at a quality resort, regardless of any perceived savings I received, real or imagined.

2) In any customer-based industry, you have good customers and bad customers. You have to deal with both, you can't just pick the good ones out and throw back the bad ones. This isn't just at DVC properties. If your manager can't handle this, then they probably shouldn't be in the job, because that is what a manager is supposed to do. They get a heck of a lot better perks to keep them in a job like this.

I have extremely high standards for Disney cast members, I will openly admit. I think that all cast members should make guests feel welcome, and special, and if the guest is a special trial then perhaps a cast member can change that by nicing them to death. Sometimes in life we just have to deal with unpleasant people. But as a cast member, it is your duty to uphold the ideal, or you should get a job somewhere where they let you be rude. I don't care how little you're paid--I drive 120 miles round trip every day to work for a pittance at a store with the Disney name that doesn't even belong to the Disney family anymore, and you can sure as shooting bet that I do my best to be a valuable CM.

TCPluto
02-04-2005, 11:52 PM
....it's no different than getting a hotel room there-except you are locked into what month you can go!

But we ended up buying in Celebration instead.

To each their very own.

Wow this is ignorant. Apparently she didn't pay attention on the tour she took.

Locked in to a certain month????

Why would you vacation 5 miles from your lovely house in Celebration?

I think by owning DVC, we only spend a 1/4 ton of money at Disney. I think I'm ahead.

IsAreWasWereAm
02-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I agree with the troll comment, Beca. Way too much misinformation. Lifetime tickets? Still haven't figured out which month I'm locked into that I have to go.

A Celebration CB ... no interest here ... probably none anywhere else either!

I love my DVC. It's the only place for me!

athenna
02-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Wow, I don't even know where to being to reply to this. Let me get this straight, does this person think we're supposed to be jealous that they are paying an arm and a leg to stay at the Poly? I am still lost as to why she is on this forum anyway. :confused3 This forum is for us, not for people who wish they could be more like us :goodvibes

DrBond007
02-05-2005, 04:44 AM
Just when you think a thread has died, it springs back, possessed but back.

I don't know

Muushka
02-05-2005, 05:44 AM
She has a lot of posts (100+). Don't trolls usually register, strike, and leave?

Yeah, it just does not add up. Owns at Celebration (very $$) and stays at Poly.

Delusional maybe? :confused3

Anyway, it brought this dead old thread back to life!

Caskbill
02-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Regards to Mari annie, if you check out her profile and peruse some of her previous posts, she does not appear to be a troll.

They still live in MA (outside Boston) so the purchase at Celebration is unclear, unless they are in the process of moving to Florida, but this isn't clear. But it does explain her comment about staying at the Poly soon since they do not currently live in Florida.

They apparently drive to Florida for their Disney vacations, and do not fly.

They have stayed in hotels like the Days Inn, and the value resorts at WDW as well as the other WDW hotels. They own two cars.

Doesn't sound like they're much different than the rest of us. Except being terribly misinformed about DVC.

For example, her thinking getting 'lifetime' tickets was not a good deal because it was only for 50 years and then all the property went back to Disney. Gee, when she first looked DVC was probably about $55/point. With a 230 point minimum purchase that would have been about $12,650. Getting free tickets would be the same as having free annual passes when they stayed there. In today's dollars, that's about $400 worth of tickets per person. For 4-people that's $1600 a year. For 50 years that would be $80,000 worth of tickets. Plus you get your accommodations for only the cost of maintenance fees.

Obviously she didn't do her math because if that's what she really thought there wouldn't have been any question at all.

OK, the free tickets only went to 1/1/2000, still a very good deal for those who bought initially. We personally saved a ton of money for tickets for 7 years. (we bought in '93).

As to having to use points in a specific month, she is obviously confusing use year month with vacation dates. As we know, use year month is simply what month you receive your new allocation of annual points that you can use anytime over the next 12 months (or the next 24 months if you bank them). It's similar to having a specific month that you get new license plates for your car. The plates are good for the full year, not just for the month you get them.

As to people saying they 'own' DVC, that simply comes from the fact that we all own deeded interests in DVC properties. Those deeds can be passed on to children and grandchildren. The fact that they eventually expire is no big deal. The purchase price more than makes up for itself with the savings we enjoy each and every year for the life of the 'contract'. Even regular DVC studios are superior to regular 'hotel rooms'.

Just some comments, in MHO.

anniet
02-05-2005, 06:53 AM
yeah, I gotta say it's because of things like Mari annie's "I'm smarter with my money than you are" and "you poor stupid underling" attitude that we are getting the heck out of the "burbs of Boston".

greenban
02-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I just want everyone to know (because of all the PMs I have received).

I am not Mari Annie!

I only have one current user id, greenban. Thank you.

(We now return you to your currently scheduled thread!)

-Tony

chips
02-05-2005, 07:54 AM
I think dvc needs to guarantee non smoking non handicapped rooms. I am uncomfortable at check in thinking I might get a smoking room. If I knew these requests were guaranteed I would get over everything else. It creates tension at check in that these requests are not guaranteed. This echoes what Dean said earlier. I believe this is a structural problem that creates friction.

Having said that, I sensed at wvl that the cm's have a problem with dvc members. I mentioned to a vwl cm I was staying at the villas and the reply with what I thought was some disdain was "Oh your staying at the timeshare" end of conversation and the cm walked away. Maybe I imagined the tone.

Dean
02-05-2005, 08:29 AM

To each their very own.

Have fun on all your Disney Trips! :cool1:You obviously didn't understand the system. No, matter, it is your loss. But if you got lifetime tickets, that alone would have more than paid for DVC. The rest of us OKW old timer just got tickets that went through the end of 1999. Give us the address in Celebration, we'll arrange for a TP welcome home for you. LOL.

anniet
02-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Give us the address in Celebration, we'll arrange for a TP welcome home for you. LOL.

Oooh, oooooh!!!! I want to be in on THAT PARTY!!!!! :dancer:

athenna
02-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Me too, let me know when that will take place :rotfl:
(she gives Bostonians a bad name)

DVCconvert
02-05-2005, 09:14 AM
http://www.blackpondfarm.com/Shastatrailer1.jpg

Put up a few Tiki Lights, saw up an old oil drum to use as a BBQ pit,
find a plastic lei,
and Mari annie can pretend she's at the Poly 24/7 ! :rolleyes:

idratherbeinwdw
02-05-2005, 09:17 AM
OK, next guess then--are you The Skipper?

I just want everyone to know (because of all the PMs I have received).

I am not Mari Annie!

-Tony

athenna
02-05-2005, 09:25 AM
DVCconvert-
That was hysterical! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Pinnie
02-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Gee, Mari Annie, care for some cheese with that whine?????

Wonder if Mari Annie is related to the OP in some way????

Gimme my DVC anyday over Stepf... err Celebration any day!!!!

pinnie

rinkwide
02-05-2005, 11:03 AM

DVCconvert,

What's up with posting that pic? I asked you to wait until after I got the new curtains up.

Rash
02-05-2005, 11:33 AM

DVCconvert,

What's up with posting that pic? I asked you to wait until after I got the new curtains up.

now that's funny. :rotfl2:

sarhenty
02-05-2005, 01:43 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl:

Rinkwide, you are hilarious!

calypso*a*go-go
02-05-2005, 02:49 PM

DVCconvert,

What's with the delay...not quite done with the newspaper yet?

MiaSRN62
02-06-2005, 09:46 AM
hysterical ! :rotfl2:

debbiedoo
02-06-2005, 11:07 AM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Luckymommyx2
02-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I finally got caught up on this thread after missing several pages...the best pages I must say! You guys are riot!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

cstraub
02-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I am not a DVC memeber and never will be. I think it is a rip when you do the math and especially when in 50 years you have nothing to show for your money but that's another story. I will say that I have never been rude to any CM's ever but I do expect a lot for my hard earned money. If I were a DVC member and I git a dumpster view I would be devestated. I think what CM'c may forget it that for some this is a trip of a lifetime. I think even for DVC memebers it may be the only vacation they take each year and it means the world to them. They have worked all year and they want thier trip to be "magical". I know the view of your room can change the experience dramaticly. I want the best for my money. We work 200+ days a year for this one week of magic in time. I can see why people would get upset. When selling the DVC memebership they sure don't show you the dumpster view you may be getting. Maybe they shouldn't hard sell the DVC memberdhips so hard. Can people pay for differnet views or is it the luck of the draw?
The bottom line is that I don't think CM's realize how precious this week is to people some people. Feelings are bound to fly. I'm not saying it's right but it's going to happen. I would be ticked if I had bought into DVC and I got a dumpster view!!!

Kadorto
02-06-2005, 03:32 PM
I am not a DVC memeber and never will be. I think it is a rip when you do the math and especially when in 50 years you have nothing to show for your money but that's another story.

Time to get out the DVCCBFD again...can already see the smoke :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight

3DisneyNUTS
02-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Well if you did the math you computed something wrong because it isn't a rip off. It isn't for everyone but if you like going to WDW alot then I would say you should rethink your decision. It seems like you would have been perfect for DVC with the amount of trips you take. Depending on how long you stay onsite each time you visit you would have DVC pay for itself in half the time of average visitors. I know for us I wish we did it sooner. Like back when OKW opened. People are selling it now years later for more than they paid for it. How is that being ripped off?

3DisneyNUTS
02-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Time to get out the DVCCBFD again...can already see the smoke :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight :firefight
LOL I love the fire hats LOL

rayelias
02-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I am not a DVC memeber and never will be. I think it is a rip when you do the math and especially when in 50 years you have nothing to show for your money but that's another story. I will say that I have never been rude to any CM's ever but I do expect a lot for my hard earned money. If I were a DVC member and I git a dumpster view I would be devestated. I think what CM'c may forget it that for some this is a trip of a lifetime. I think even for DVC memebers it may be the only vacation they take each year and it means the world to them. They have worked all year and they want thier trip to be "magical". I know the view of your room can change the experience dramaticly. I want the best for my money. We work 200+ days a year for this one week of magic in time. I can see why people would get upset. When selling the DVC memebership they sure don't show you the dumpster view you may be getting. Maybe they shouldn't hard sell the DVC memberdhips so hard. Can people pay for differnet views or is it the luck of the draw?
The bottom line is that I don't think CM's realize how precious this week is to people some people. Feelings are bound to fly. I'm not saying it's right but it's going to happen. I would be ticked if I had bought into DVC and I got a dumpster view!!!

Frankly, a dumpster view is just fine with me, as long as it was convenient to transportation. Everyone has their priorities.

Sorry you think DVC is a rip. DVC might not make financial sense to you. For us, we go 3X a year. Not including the appreciation in the value of the points (which will reverse at some point), we'll be breaking even in about 4 years. Not bad. If you got in at the very beginning, you would've paid around $58/point (correct me if I'm wrong), AND gotten free admission for several years. I'm sure if those people sold their points now, they would've gotten FREE vacations and maybe even made a couple bucks.

As for not having anything to show after 50 years... did you ever rent an apartment? How about lease a car? There are some areas where you don't/can't own the land your house/condo is on and you have a 99 year lease. Are they bad investments, too? Did you ever purchase a beer? Heck, I consider THAT a very short term rental (if you know what I mean). :drinking:

As for the OP...

I think what some people may be mistaking for arrogance with DVC members is pride. We OWN (albeit a small part) these resorts. We take pride in ownership. It's not that we EXPECT to be treated better, it's just that if we see something wrong, something broken, we want it fixed - it's ours and we have a "pride in ownership."

Now, that being said, I'm certain that there ARE some people who are run by their egos, but I would think they are the minority. You get ANY 80,000 people and you're going to run the gambit.

However, if the OP's post is legitimate, and if there are other CM's that share that thought, they really should re-think their career choice. Dealing with the public is a VERY difficult job, and very often underpaid. It must be even more difficult working for Disney where everyone has such high expectations. No matter how hard you try, being an organization that large, there are going to be foul-ups, and unfortunately, some guests aren't going to be as understanding as others. That's life, and that's the career they chose. You're more often judged by how you handle a bad situation than a good one. If you're not a "people person" by nature, or you have a pre-conceived notion that DVC Members are a certain way, you're not a good fit to be in that job.

Alright, I'm stepping off my soapbox, now.

tjkraz
02-06-2005, 04:38 PM
I am not a DVC memeber and never will be. I think it is a rip when you do the math and especially when in 50 years you have nothing to show for your money...

Please, cstraub, share your math. Mine shows that I'll break-even on the initial investment in about 7 years, and then I'll be getting rooms for my maintenance fees alone. An 1100 sq ft Two Bedroom suite at my Home resort costs 27 points per night in December. With dues being $3.83 per point, I paid about $103 per night for that room with NO TAXES.

What type of a room can you get for $103???

I don't mean to be glib, but nearly 90,000 families have done the math and realized that DVC will save them a LOT of money on accommodations down the road--expiration date or no expiration date. That's not to say that DVC works for all people...but the one area that's difficult to question is the financial benefit it affords members.

Muushka
02-06-2005, 05:03 PM
This thread just keeps going and going and going and going....... :cool1:

Crissup
02-06-2005, 05:22 PM
This thread just keeps going and going and going and going....... :cool1:

http://tt.crissup.com/Humor/AniBunny.gif

OneMoreTry
02-06-2005, 06:18 PM
If you compare DVC to a moderate with discount codes and take investment of your money (future value of money) into account, then you come up behind with DVC.

But if you compare to cost of a deluxe then you probably come out ahead financially. However, DVC has retained its value quite well. Considering that changes all the accounting in my opinion. If we got out now we would come out WAAAY ahead. Although that's not a guarantee for the future.

Our situation is unique in that we always get a 2BR -- even before buying DVC. So we break even quickly. (Even without considering the current value of our points if we sold them.)

calypso*a*go-go
02-06-2005, 06:19 PM
What's with the delay...not quite done with the newspaper yet?

Or have you been too busy lounging around the pool?

http://umcc.ais.org/~paxton/stuff/pool.jpg

Hey, maybe we've come up with a theme for the next DVC resort -- RNV (Red Neck Villas). I'm sure the O.P. of this thread will want to transfer immediately!

Muushka
02-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Or have you been too busy lounging around the pool?

http://umcc.ais.org/~paxton/stuff/pool.jpg

Hey, maybe we've come up with a theme for the next DVC resort -- RNV (Red Neck Villas). I'm sure the O.P. of this thread will want to transfer immediately!

Too funny! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I wonder what the point structure will be at RNV???? :wave2:

anniet
02-06-2005, 06:37 PM
RNV, I like it.....45 nights for 8 points maybe??? They'd be trailers with Christmas lights all year round!!!

Crissup
02-06-2005, 07:15 PM
take investment of your money (future value of money) into account, then you come up behind with DVC.

Anytime I've estimated the cost of my points, I'm always told that I'm wrong because I didn't calculate the investment value of my money. But, since I paid for my DVC by skipping several trips to the casino, which I normally lose at, I have a very difficult time calculating what I would have had. I'm certain however, that I wouldn't have had DVC, and probably wouldn't have the money that I used to pay for it either. Not everyone would have invested the money had they not bought DVC instead.

Doctor P
02-06-2005, 07:43 PM
DVC as a good deal depends on when you go to Disney. We tend to go at Christmastime when there are rarely any kind of lodging discounts and rack rates are at their highest. I did my calculations of DVC as a prepaid vacation program and came out way ahead even of the value resorts. Add in the higher quality accomodations and not having to pay a large hotel bill each time, and I figure we come out just fine.

rinkwide
02-06-2005, 09:01 PM
<big>Look, don't knock the Redneck Villas. At least they have a sit-down restaurant.</big>

http://members.cox.net/pictures/roadkill.gif

<big>BTW, tell the waitress it's your birthday and she'll bring ya this -</big>

http://members.cox.net/pictures/redneck.jpg

calypso*a*go-go
02-07-2005, 01:25 AM
And if you want room service...just ring rinkwide's cowbell !!!

IsAreWasWereAm
02-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Well, there's another resort that's gonna need a slide!

idratherbeinwdw
02-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Well, there's another resort that's gonna need a slide!
Hey we can combine this thread with the one with questions about bringing guests to the pool--I bet no one would mind if you brought guests to this particular "resort"!

DrBond007
02-07-2005, 10:23 AM
I wonder if the cast members there will feel justification in being rude to guests at the red neck villas as they seem to do at BCV and WLVs.

rinkwide
02-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, there's another resort that's gonna need a slide!Nope, just completed.

http://members.cox.net/pictures/slide.jpg

DVCconvert
02-07-2005, 01:07 PM
I just found this concept mock-up on the new resort:

http://www3.telus.net/larrybw/redneckhotel.jpg

:cool1:

idratherbeinwdw
02-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I have an "in" and got this exclusive shot of the Front Desk CM's for the Resort:
http://www.posternow.com/photos/imagem/b/b7992.jpg

debbiedoo
02-07-2005, 01:27 PM
I just found this concept mock-up on the new resort:

http://www3.telus.net/larrybw/redneckhotel.jpg

:cool1:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

thanks for the daily laughter today!!

lillasmom
02-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Nope, just completed.

http://members.cox.net/pictures/slide.jpg

Too funny! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

calypso*a*go-go
02-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Don't forget the Bell Hops!

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/14058.JPG

calypso*a*go-go
02-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Or the State-of-the-Art Golf Course!

http://www.funnypics.cc/uploads/1077471563.jpg

Luckymommyx2
02-07-2005, 02:36 PM
OMG...I don't know where you guys find these things!!! Too funny!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

greenban
02-07-2005, 02:41 PM
OK, next guess then--are you The Skipper?

Toooooo Funny :rotfl2: !

I completely missed that! (I used to :love: MA on GI!)

-Tony

eeyore0062
02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
OMG, these are TOO funny!!! Where shall it be... the old site of River Country? :rotfl: :rotfl2:

eileenfk
02-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Since it is less expensive to stay using DVC points (based on my calculations of my point cost) I guess that having DVC accomodations at the luxury resorts, does introduce a new economic class to the mix of people.
However, I am certain that poor behavior crosses economic classes.

I am now wondering if I even want to stay at the Full Service Hotel resorts.
I don't want to go where I am not wanted, or where I am considered rif raf.
(I am always looking for new reasons to be glad I bought into OKW rather than BWV or VWL. I am not without any reasons, but the more reasons I have the happier I am with my purchase :-).

I wonder if anyone can pick out the DVC members, at a common area such as the pool, based on behavior.
I wonder if anyone has the courage to put this to the test (It wouldn't have the courage to ask anyone, and I am not sure people would want to be asked.)

Did the BoardWalk really loose a diamond because of the behavior of guests in the lobby? Was it really the DVC guests?
Is this documented somewhere official?

Is there really a list, of DVC members, whom are difficult to deal with?

I don't think that I have ever complained to a CM, but the CMs I have encountered were always doing their best to accommodate me.

About room requests, I have gotten the idea, from reading these boards, that the squeaky wheel (or the person who checks in first and asks for something different then what was already showing in the computer for them), gets the better rooms.
If members have that perception, then they are more likely to become squeaky wheels themselves.
I have not become a squeaky wheel yet, but if I feel the squeaky wheels continually get the better rooms, I could see myself becoming one.

Maybe the more people visit, the more they expect, and the more likely they are to complain if they don't get what they expect. Often our satisfaction is dependent on our expectations.

I have only stayed one time, since becomming a DVC member, and I was very happy with the accomodations and CMs without ever once needing to complain.
I stayed at OKW before becoming a DVC member, and I was very happy with the accomodations and CMs and never once complained.

- Eileen

3DisneyNUTS
02-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Or the State-of-the-Art Golf Course!

http://www.funnypics.cc/uploads/1077471563.jpg

Holy cow my husband thinks I am nuts for laughing so hard OMG too funny!

jkfreeman33
02-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I agree with the original poster.
How many DVC members post on these boards about all the horrible things that happened to them while on "vacation" in "the happiest place on earth". They complain about the view in the room, the noise in the hall, the smell in the hall, the light bulb that burned out, the slow drain in the kitchen, the long wait for any bus, boat, water taxi, too many towels, not enough towels, the lack of softness of the towels, etc., etc, etc, etc. I have personally read every one of the above complaints and thought.... how stupid.
Lots of miserable people out there. But, some people think that since they are "owners", it gives them the right to complain. Sort of like they bought the right to complain.
I'm glad I don't go on vacation with them. There are better and more fun things to do in WDW that complain about something silly.

anniet
02-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Wait a minute!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!

I've bumped into quite a few Cast Members who are ALSO DVC Members.....hmmmmmmm....... :scratchin

DVCconvert
02-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Lots of miserable people out there. But, some people think that since they are "owners", it gives them the right to complain. Sort of like they bought the right to complain.
I'm glad I don't go on vacation with them. There are better and more fun things to do in WDW that complain about something silly.

You are Sooooo right!!!.....are you a CM with a brain? or a DVC member with a soul?.....both, if you look at this issue are rare.....in either case....Thank You! :) I've purchased about 1000 "points" - in our first 'official' stay, the dryer was faulty and put holes in some of my wife's clothes. We did NOT 'demand' compensation, we reported this issue, and it was dealt with. And the "magic" of our stay was not materially effected, even by the dryer destroying some articles of clothing! (shocking to some, I know.)

3DisneyNUTS
02-08-2005, 06:48 PM
How many DVC members post on these boards about all the horrible things that happened to them while on "vacation" in "the happiest place on earth". They complain about the view in the room, the noise in the hall, the smell in the hall, the light bulb that burned out, the slow drain in the kitchen, the long wait for any bus, boat, water taxi, too many towels, not enough towels, the lack of softness of the towels, etc., etc, etc, etc. I have personally read every one of the above complaints and thought.... how stupid.

well those that I have bolded are legitimate issues. How else is someone going to replace a lightbulb if they do not call for it? How else do they get more towels if they were shorted? It seems to me you are the one who wants to complain. It is silly to get needs met on vacation but it isn't silly to complain on a message board about others that are 'complaining'? :rolleyes:

MiaSRN62
02-08-2005, 06:58 PM
well those that I have bolded are legitimate issues. How else is someone going to replace a lightbulb if they do not call for it? How else do they get more towels if they were shorted? It seems to me you are the one who wants to complain.
I agree with 3DisneyNuts ! These are valid points to bring to the attention of management. Granted, some people take it too far, but there is also alot of legitimate feedback to the resorts. Our DVC maintenance dues go toward the upkeep of the DVC resorts. If we're paying them why shouldn't we expect things to work ?

I have personally read every one of the above complaints and thought.... how stupid.
Hmmm....and your post :rolleyes1 You say you believe "all" the complaints are stupid ? I'll just refrain from responding any further jkfreeman33 :rolleyes:

DVCconvert
02-08-2005, 07:00 PM
How else is someone going to replace a lightbulb if they do not call for it? A real life situation here....the last time we were at OKW, in a 1 bedroom, the 3 overhead lights that shine on the counter area - there was one light on the left as you look at them from the living room area that was out. I called, said we were checking out a day later, and that it should be fixed before the room was next given to a guest/member.

From some of the past comments, you'd think that this would be viewed as a '911' issue. To us, it wasn't. We could still use the sink/kitchen area just fine. I think that some have/do view something as foolish as one burnt out light bulb as something that makes them entitiled to a free stay, with free food and park admission, and to some, they should recieve compensation beyond that!!!

Laurajean1014
02-08-2005, 08:05 PM
I must be part of the 1% that are angelic :angel: and have never caused anything to DVC except economic bliss :teacher: .

Is there a sign on the backs that detect the owners from the renters, WDW guests, etc.? :confused3

Is writing bad things about DVC owners in a computer - DVC vacationer profiling? :rolleyes: If so, a class action suit maybe in order............. :sad2:

I think we all need to re-group. :grouphug:

:)

Crissup
02-08-2005, 08:36 PM
I've bumped into quite a few Cast Members who are ALSO DVC Members

They have a lot of self hatred. ;)

DrBond007
02-08-2005, 08:39 PM
I'll take it that you are not an owner? It also seems you have a pension to stereotype others? In my opinion your have strongly overblown your point, but there is a point to be made that some are overly picky, demanding a particular room of view, or letting some very minor irritation give them cause for excessive complaining. But there are certainly legitimate problems that need to be addressed, which your post doesn't really acknowledge.

fran99999
02-08-2005, 09:35 PM
OMG I was thinking of buying into DVC. I even rented points to convince my DH. I dont want to be classified into the "Naughty, Classless group". And I would be by the tone of this thread. I live in MA, NE and I would be a NEWER DVC owner. I'm toast. :badpc: I even own a red pickup. Ok it only has 150 miles on it and cost more than the DVC will probably cost. I'm a Redneck and I live in a city. OMG I even love country music.

That does it I better just go by a run down shack on an alligator infested swamp and make my moonshine and be done with it.

Greysword
02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey everyone,

I hope you are having a good day. My wife and I are in the approval process for some points at SSR (our first set! :cool1: ). I had a couple questions that would be in direct coorolation to this thread.

First, is there an unofficial list of proper etiquette for the DVC owners while staying on property? Some things I picked up: the tipping issue (how much and when), noise at the quiet pools and hallways, how to deal with fellow guests that are unruly (or CMs), etc. This would be very helpful to set the proper expectations.

Second, since DVC owners actually do own the place, shouldn't we think of the rooms more as our house than a hotel room? For instance, if something drips, can we get tools to fix it ourselves? If there is mold, could we ask guest relations for bleach (or something else) to clean it? Are we even allowed to make repairs and correct problems ourselves? If not, then It seems we would have the best argument to take to the CMs. Of course, we do pay annual dues, which are supposed to take care of maintenance, but then again it is like HOA dues for landscaping and such...hmmm...your thoughts?

Just thought I would ask the initial questions, so I can get more informed on the topic at hand.

Thank you for listening! :wave2:

Johnnie Fedora
02-08-2005, 09:57 PM
They complain about the view in the room, the noise in the hall, the smell in the hall, the light bulb that burned out, the slow drain in the kitchen, the long wait for any bus, boat, water taxi, too many towels, not enough towels, the lack of softness of the towels, etc., etc, etc, etc. I have personally read every one of the above complaints and thought.... how stupid.
Lots of miserable people out there. But, some people think that since they are "owners", it gives them the right to complain. Sort of like they bought the right to complain. I'm glad I don't go on vacation with them. There are better and more fun things to do in WDW that complain about something silly.

But you ARE Blanche. You ARE stuck on vacation with them!!! (Bette Davis voice from "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" impersonated).

Are you sure your not confusing the DVC board with...lets see....the resorts/restaurant/DCL or theme parks board??

calypso*a*go-go
02-09-2005, 02:27 AM
OMG I was thinking of buying into DVC. I even rented points to convince my DH. I dont want to be classified into the "Naughty, Classless group". And I would be by the tone of this thread. I live in MA, NE and I would be a NEWER DVC owner. I'm toast. :badpc: I even own a red pickup. Ok it only has 150 miles on it and cost more than the DVC will probably cost. I'm a Redneck and I live in a city. OMG I even love country music.

That does it I better just go by a run down shack on an alligator infested swamp and make my moonshine and be done with it.

Well I think you'd be great to have as a neighbor --even if you are naughty and classless... :teeth:

Better get those points before the price goes up again. :sunny:

MDonley
02-09-2005, 03:57 AM
First, is there an unofficial list of proper etiquette for the DVC owners while staying on property?

Second, since DVC owners actually do own the place, shouldn't we think of the rooms more as our house than a hotel room? For instance, if something drips, can we get tools to fix it ourselves? If there is mold, could we ask guest relations for bleach (or something else) to clean it? Are we even allowed to make repairs and correct problems ourselves? If not, then It seems we would have the best argument to take to the CMs. Of course, we do pay annual dues, which are supposed to take care of maintenance, but then again it is like HOA dues for landscaping and such...hmmm...your thoughts?:

I haven't read of any list of proper etiquette ... unofficial or otherwise. Common sense (which isn't always common) tells me to respect the place and try to leave it better than I found it. Oh, and don't insist on an Ocean View at OKW.

As far as fixing things, I'm sure that they'd much rather have you politely notify them of something wrong as opposed to fixing it yourself. I do, however, pick up pieces of trash that I find as I walk around (candy wrappers, paper, etc.), but I do that everywhere ... not just Disney.

Also, I find that I smile a lot more while I'm at WDW. It's the 25% that don't smile back that annoy me. Maybe that's what is getting to some of the CMs! :wave2:

jkfreeman33
02-09-2005, 07:59 AM
I have been a DVC member of BWV since 6/98 with 300 points.
We usually go twice a year. I have rarely seen an issue at the front desk of anyone making a scene about something wrong.
However, I read the DVC boards all the time and see complaints about things that really shouldn't be a big deal when you are on vacation.
How about the poster who wouldn't go out of the unit all week because there was construction work being done in the hall and she was afraid her infant child would breathe in the dust. So she stayed in the unit all week while the rest of her family went to the park. She complained about the noise and dust in the hall.
Every complaint I mentioned I have read on these boards.
I'm sure they feel justified about their complaint, and it was horrible while it was happening, but in the big picture, it really shouldn't be enough to ruin a vacation. A slow kitchen drain should not ruin a vacation!
Some people get upset if things aren't perfect, but things as a rule aren't perfect at home. Things need repair, replacing and fixing there, too. Maybe that's why they call these resorts "Home Away From Home"
My DH and I along with 4 neighbors will be at the BWV for 7 days and taking in the Daytona 500 on 2/20. I can't imagine there will be anything that will ruin the fun the 6 of us will have together. Let the kitchen drain run slow, I don't care if the bulb is burned out in the livingroom lamp, I'll step over the workers in the hall on my way out each morning, etc, etc, etc.
It's snowing and cold in Chicago and I'm packing shorts for WDW.
Life is good and I'm ready for sun, warm weather, Disney and the Daytona 500.
Sorry if I offended anyone!

tjkraz
02-09-2005, 08:18 AM
However, I read the DVC boards all the time and see complaints about things that really shouldn't be a big deal when you are on vacation!

Honestly, I think you're reading too much into the comments made here. Just because someone reported a burned-out lightbulb or a slow drain does not mean that it "ruined their vacation" or that a resort CM was chewed-out as a result.

Many comments are made here just for informational purposes--both the good and the bad.

Yes, some members have higher expectations than others, and that will show through in the comments that are made. It doesn't mean that those members are wrong, or that their vacations were ruined by having to call housekeeping to change a light bulb.

And, I suspect the posts to which you are referring are just the tiniest sampling of nearly 90,000 DVC members.

idratherbeinwdw
02-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I think there's a difference between not being bothered by something enough to ruin your vacation and ignoring it totally. I wouldn't let a slow drain, burnt out bulb, etc drive me balistic, but I would report it and I would expect it to be fixed in a timely manner. This is exactly what my experience has been at BWV so far. The few things that were "wrong" (missing frying pan one time, no safe key another) were reported and promptly rectified.

As for room assignments: I agree with the faction that believes as long as there was no blatant problem (ie non handicapped for someone with special needs, smoking for someone allergic to smoke), there's no need to let it ruin your trip. I wasn't at all happy with my last view at BWV, but I figured I'd been lucky up till then and it was my turn to get the parking lot view (If I looked straight or left. If I looked right the canal and MGM was there. So I spent a lot of time facing right, LOL). BUT my two requests were met for that trip--non smoking, top floor. Yes it wasn't "perfect", but hey I am at WDW, the room is clean, no point getting crazy about a view. We'd all love the best room with the best view, but there are only so many to go around. I imagine the CM's who do room assignments do the best they can, they certainly don't want to deal with a lot of whining guests.

:disrocks: :genie: :music: :flower3:

calypso*a*go-go
02-09-2005, 11:43 AM
In a nutshell I think it all boils down to this: If you're unhappy at home...you're going to be unhappy on vacation. Most people look at their trip to WDW as an escape from reality and day-to-day conflicts. Well, guess what -- those things come along in your suitcase along with everything else you tote around on a regular basis. You cant expect to show up somewhere and have everything be absolutely perfect. It just ain't gonna happen. Do you freak out at home if there's a burned out lightbulb?

one_cat
02-11-2005, 09:35 PM
I have to admit, though considering the size of this thread I don't have a chance in H*** of reading every thread, I have read quite a few and it has kept me up nights thinking. I have noticed that the front desk staff at BWV has not always been smiley and happy when checking us in the last couple times but I just put it down to stress or having a bad day or something. Now I start wondering if it's a bit more. I begin to wonder if DVC members really do have a bad reputation within WDW. It is very true that we bought DVC because we wanted to take first class vacations on a second class budget. We bought our Whistler timeshare for the same reason. I grew up taking first class vacations with my parents and became addicted to vacations spent in first class resorts. I was taught growing up how to tip and how to respect a first class resort. I always feel blessed to walk under the welcome home sign at BWV and though with cash it would be very seldom that we could afford to stay in such a resort I feel very lucky to spend a couple weeks a year in our beautiful timeshares. I just hope the original poster is wrong and people who stay at the DVC resorts realize that they are Staying at the Ritz, not at a Motel 6. On the other hand I was pretty offended by the idea that because we didn't buy 250 points right away and didn't buy at the opening that we somehow didn't deserve to be there. Walt built Disneyland and WDW for the masses. He wasn't trying to just cater to the super-wealthy. The poster was by association insinuating that because we are not super-wealthy, not only do we not deserve to stay at BWV but wouldn't deserve to stay at any other wdw deluxe resort. ie. only rich people have enough class to stay at a nice resort. I think Walt would roll over in his grave if he knew that CMs believed that only the super rich should be allowed to visit his parks and resorts.

I have as some others posting here found that some visitors to WDW, not just DVC members become total terrors when they go on vacation. I think it must have something to do with the misery of their everyday lives that they attempt to make their vacation into something that it can't possibly be and end up not only ruining their vacations but everyone else's. I remember once a CM at a gift shop at MK had a terrible time getting our package delivery set up. She had to enter the information on her register three times and issue us a credit on our credit card before getting it right. She was very surprised when we weren't upset with her. I asked her "Why should we be upset? we've got all the time in the world, we are on vacation." Apparantly that is not normal behavior for Disney guests and I am amazed that CMs can keep the smiles they have if they have to work with people who are really that obnoxious. Anyway, I've ranted long enough. We have friends invited to join us at BWV in November and I just hope that they see the Disney magic through the CMs that work there the same as we usually do. I'm glad that the original poster has moved on and I hope he finds a position where I don't ever have to deal with him.

jekjones1558
02-11-2005, 09:56 PM
After following this thread I was VERY observant during our recent stay at BWV. Front desk staff all seemed to be in good spirits and we got excellent service. I will admit that because of this thread I went out of my way to again thank a CM who had helped to get a really nice view for my mom and dad several years ago. (It means even more to me now since it was my dad's last trip before his Alzheimer's got too severe.) I wrote 2 separate letters praising 2 different CMs when I got home and sent copies to 2 different supervisors. In the past I'd probably only have written 1 letter and sent it to 1 person. I also left my mousekeeping tip at the front desk for a specific person who had done a nice job. In the past I might have just left it in the room and hoped that she would get it.
While I think this thread may be overstated in many ways, I am glad to have been reminded that extra "thank you"s are usually appreciated.

rayelias
02-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I've read through all these responses, and there's something that is really bothering me.

Like most of you, I go out of my way to be extra friendly to CM's and I make a point to recognize outstanding service by getting a manager, or simply by saying "Thank You" to MANY, MANY CM's.

But, what bothers me is that, the more I read, the more it seems like it's OUR responsibility to cheer up grumpy CM's or to thank CM's, etc, etc. It's their JOB to make US feel special. We're PAYING for that experience. Now, I don't mind giving some gratitude where it's deserved, but for heaven's sake, we're on vacation - they're not.

I don't know of any other company where their customers are so devoted that not only will we tolerate sub-par behavior, but we'll go out of our way to make their employees feel better about thier job. Do any of you, honestly, act the very same way to businesses you frequent at home?

If you're in a VERY long line at the bank, and your teller doesn't smile, or thank you, or doesn't give you a "magical moment", do you give THEM the same benefit of the doubt, or go out of your way to cheer up their day? Or, let's say you're at McDonalds and the kid at the register does a pretty good job, smiles, thanks you, and the like, do you feel compelled to write letters to their manager for average service that frankly every customer should get anyway? Do you let either one of them know how much you truly appreciate them and all the hard work they just did to cash your check or get your Big Mac?

I'm guilty. I don't know what it is about Disney, but I do tend to go out of my way to make CM's days special.

Cinderpals
02-12-2005, 04:40 AM
One Cat, your post made me very sad, thinking that the original post has kept you up at night! I know that you're not alone. The original post has had an emotional effect on a lot of us. I've almost read through all of the posts since it 1st posted almost a month ago. I've since spent almost a week's vacation with my young daughter there. We didn't stay at the DVC, as I'm just now buying into one. It's too bad that I'll never be able to look at a CM working at the hotels without thinking, "Is he/she one of 'those' CMs that secretely 'hate' us?" We will be staying at the WL again this March the week before Easter. The resorts will be packed, and this will be a test on everyone's nerves! I know, I was there during the Christmas Holiday.

On another post (profile of DVCers) I find that most of us are Middle Class working people who have come to value our WDW vacations for the opportunity that it gives us to spend quality time with our families, friends or loved ones. Hey, for most of us, this is the biggest vacation that we'll take. I'm becoming a DVC member through resale, and will own points at the BWV and BCV. We plan on spending a lot of time and $$ at WDW during the next 15 years or so. We've been to other places (loved Whistler, Lake Tahoe, St Johns etc...) this is the only place we were willing (besides a vacation home at a mountain lake resort closer to our home) to 'buy' into. You can bet, as a DVC owner, that I had better not receive poorer service from the front desk, mouse keeping etc... We are great tippers and we do bother filling out comment cards to those who deserve it! Both bad and stellar, we will take the time to fill out the cards or take to the managers. We decided long ago, while having a string of lousy service at restaurants, that we would not tip 15-20 percent unless it was deserved! need to go now, but I'm still buying into DVC, and I know that we'll have great service that we've come to expect from WDW :Pinkbounc :cheer2:

Dean
02-12-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm sure you all know that timeshares in general and DVC specifically are built and targeted at the upper levels of income. One of the tour criteria for many timeshare specials is income. $45K at the low end and $75 at the higher ends though I'm sure Ritz is even more. For the ones that offer a special rate to visit and tour, they have to think you qualify in terms of income and credit rating to even be offered the tour option.

drakethib
02-12-2005, 09:49 AM
:cool:
I agree.

Smoking should not be allowed in any rooms at Disney.

drakethib
02-12-2005, 10:25 AM
The first thing I am going to say is that we should always try to polite to the CM regardless if you are a DVC member or not.

I think the OP has hit a nerve with many of us.

As said before in this thread, there are customers who are polite and customers who are jerks.

Here is the world according to Drake:

Rooms:

Do I expect my room to be clean and the check in process to be easy on each trip? Yes.

Will I bring it to the attention of the front desk if it is not? You bet. Will I be a jerk about it? Nope. Will I be somewhat stern if it is not resolved in a reasonable amount of time (I always realize that I am not the only guest on property)? Yes.

Do I think I should expect the best view each time I arrive? Nope. If we get one great, if not I need to walk my big lazy butt closer to it is that I want to see when I want to see it.

Do I expect a non-smoking room when I request one? D$mn right. Smoke makes my wife and me extremely ill. Will I raise cane if we do not get a non smoking room? Not at first, but I will expect to be moved to a resort with a non-smoking room. If this does not happen (it never has not) I will get irate.

Tipping.

Will I tip for good service? Yes. Normally a great deal more then the "accepted amount". I have had a waiter at Cinderella’s Castle stop in their tracks, turnaround, and come back and thank me for the "nice" tip after he realized how much I have slipped him or her. My wife and I aren’t rich by the way; tipping for good service is something that we put in our Disney trip budget.

Will I not tip if I feel the service was not up to par? Usually I will tip anyway. CM's have to deal with the public daily and as we can possibly understand, the public is not the easiest to work with. Maybe I can help their day some with a nice tip.

Do I think tips should be expected? No. However, I can assure you if I worked in an industry that my salary was in part of gratuity (I have in the past), I would be killing people with kindness and I would jump when they say jumped. You may call it kissing up or whatever (I call it great customer service), but I promise you, at the end of the day my wallet or pocket book would be very full from my guests generosity.

In all honesty, I do expect more for not just being a DVC member, but being at Disney itself. I want to be spoiled and pampered. I want good service. I want my needs to be met.

That is why my wife and I have spent and will continue to spend so much at Disney.

I can get bad customer service from other places for a lot less.

But again people, we should always be polite to not only CM’s but any other person in a service oriented profession. It only helps everyone in the end.

rinkwide
02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
I agree.

Smoking should not be allowed in any rooms at Disney.Yep, and while they're at it they could outlaw liquor, sex and Hostess Twinkies.

Beca
02-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Yep, and while they're at it they could outlaw liquor, sex and Hostess Twinkies.

You mean they're not??!!!! Wow!!! Disney will be TWICE as much fun on my next vacation!!!!!

Beca

P.S. Can you use all three at the same time??

Crissup
02-12-2005, 11:41 AM
If you're in a VERY long line at the bank, and your teller doesn't smile, or thank you, or doesn't give you a "magical moment", do you give THEM the same benefit of the doubt, or go out of your way to cheer up their day?

Actually, I do. I often feel bad for anyone who has to sit and do the same job all day long, dealing with the public, because I *know* how many people can tend to take their frustrations out on people. When I pick people up at Midway Airport, I often use the parking garage. When I leave, the women working at the toll booths always seem to just be in automatic mode, hang their hand out the window to take your slip, process it without ever even looking at you, and then take your money. I generally go out of my way to act particularly friendly with these folks and try to get them to smile. I feel bad that they're stuck in a job where people don't appreciate them. This is the same whether it be a bank teller, parking attendant, Disney CM, etc.

Disney tries to hire cheerful upbeat people, but after dealing with thousands of people, day in and day out, their going to have dealt with their share of unhappy, grumpy customers, who feel that because they're paying so much, they have a right to be a {insert favorite oscene body part here}.

Anytime I check in at *any* resort, DVC or otherwise, I make that same effort to make that front desk person smile. If they're not already smiling when I arrive, but they are when I leave, I feel good that I helped that person make it through their day. People don't have a right to treat these people badly. But, on the same token, these people don't have a right to treat their customers badly either, and when I do get the occassional bad one that is just absolutely brain dead, I can reach my limit.

I don't really have a problem with a CM posting that they tend to get cranky because of unhappy DVC members, my problem is that this one generalized and decided that *all* DVC members are bad because of the ones that he has experienced. It's very sad that he *never* met even one DVC member that didn't give him a problem. He's been soured and needs to be removed from his position.

rinkwide
02-12-2005, 11:52 AM
...Can you use all three at the same time?? :rotfl:

'Atta girl!

Happy Birthday Cat
02-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Yep, and while they're at it they could outlaw liquor, sex and Hostess Twinkies.
You mean they're not??!!!! Wow!!! Disney will be TWICE as much fun on my next vacation!!!!!

Actually that would make it three times as much fun! And would definitely put you on the naughty list.;)

HBC

borncinderella
02-12-2005, 12:10 PM

LOL! :rotfl2:

Maybe smoking should be restricted to the balconies!
Hmmm, maybe not. Smoking, liquor, sex, and Twinkies on the balconies . . .
Maybe not such a Disney experience walking along the Boardwalk!

Dean
02-12-2005, 12:21 PM
LOL! :rotfl2:

Maybe smoking should be restricted to the balconies!
Hmmm, maybe not. Smoking, liquor, sex, and Twinkies on the balconies . . .
Maybe not such a Disney experience walking along the Boardwalk!A few days ago I was reading through a cruisecritic post about sex on the cruise ship balconies and getting caught. So maybe doing all these things on the balcony isn't such a good idea. And if I am near by with my super soaker, I can use it to control several of the items. Those twinkies aren't very good when they're soaking wet but if I load it with milk it might fit in very well.

borncinderella
02-12-2005, 12:32 PM
A few days ago I was reading through a cruisecritic post about sex on the cruise ship balconies and getting caught. So maybe doing all these things on the balcony isn't such a good idea. And if I am near by with my super soaker, I can use it to control several of the items. Those twinkies aren't very good when they're soaking wet but if I load it with milk it might fit in very well.

Oh, I don't know, Dean. A little water in Scotch might be just the thing! I'm not sure I would mind the soaking twinkies so much then. :)

I bet we BOTH end up on the "naughty" list for that! :smooth:

rinkwide
02-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Villa with a Boardwalk balcony - $400
Willing partner - $200
Bottle of Scotch - $20
Pack of smokes $5
Box of Twinkies - $4

Milk filled Super Soaker in the next unit ready to spoil all the fun - Priceless

calypso*a*go-go
02-12-2005, 01:59 PM
http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/1997-04-25.gif

idratherbeinwdw
02-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Beca

Hey Beca I see we will be there at about the same time. That sounds like one party I wouldn't want to miss, I'll even bring my own twinkies! :rotfl: :goodvibes :banana: :rotfl2:

jekjones1558
02-12-2005, 03:32 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Okay, Beca. Now you have spoiled your pristine image, which I have come to treasure. Of course this opens up a whole new wonderful world of possibilities...

drakethib
02-12-2005, 03:58 PM

The reason I would love Disney to outlaw smoking in the rooms is because some smokers (not all) have no clue on how bad the smoke smell is to nonsmokers. Quite frankly, there are some (again, not all) smokers who are inconsiderate to this fact and will smoke in a non-smoking room. The next Family gets to smell this stench after the jerk is gone. (Go ahead smokers, flame on, I really don't care.)

Not to mention both my wife and I get extremely ill from smoke.

I wonder how many smokers would mind if I (or a bunch of other chewers and dippers) would chew Red Man or Skoal and spit all over the floor, the sheets, the wall, etc. so that they could come in a room and meet that stench and spit stains after it set in for a few days. I bet money the smokers would complain.

In all honesty, I really don't want to infringe on anyone’s rights, smoke all you want, heck, smoke some dope too while your at it. This is the USA and we all have freedoms. I really don't care and frankly neither I nor anyone else has any business telling someone how to live their life but I have no intention on letting some inconsiderate person getting me or my wife ill.

I just wish they (Disney) would be able to always give non-smokers a non-smoking room as well as always give smokers a smoking room.

Sherri
02-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I know my husband smokes, and I HATE smoke. He doesn't do it in the house car on our property or around me. But when we were in Atlantic City there was someone smoking a cigar. He thought it was the most horrific smell. I explained to him that this is how us non smokers feel when we are around smokers. Finally an analigy he could understand after all these years.

one_cat
02-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Boy this thread goes touches on pretty much every issue.

In a way I agree that I wish DVC would outlaw smoking in all the rooms but I think this might be a case of be careful what you wish for. If there were no smoking rooms I'll bet we'd be getting lots of posts about people walking into a non-smoking room only to find that they had been smoked in. I know in my heart that there is a percentage of smokers who would say: if they won't give me a smoking room I will smoke in the non-smoking room.

I've never gotten a smoking room so for me it hasn't yet been an issue. If I ever got a smoking room I would do the following:

1. Try to get a non-smoking room (begging would be a tactic.)
2. If 1 fails, I would have them bring an ionizer to the room, then make them change all the linens in the room from the bedspreads to the blankets to the sheets to the towels to the pillows. Even the towels and blankets in the closet.

We've been through that drill before in a desperate situation and it really worked. You would never know the room had been smoked in though it stunk like a sewer when we first walked in.

rinkwide
02-12-2005, 11:37 PM
...smoke some dope too while your at it...(insert your own disney magic joke here)

NeverEnufWDW
02-13-2005, 03:47 AM
Well, tarnation y'all. This here thread is the biggest bunch of horse puckey I done ever heard. The family and I have been with this here DVC club since young Bubba missed that racoon with his shotgun and we found black gold.

Ya damn right I won't be tippin them city-boy whipper snappers unless the trailer is parked just right.

I'm not too edumacated, but when I says NON SMOKING rooms - I means it.
Damn right I'm gonna give that Missy or Mac at the front desk fire and brimstone when the temporary homestead just aren't right.

If'n those Cast Memburs don't like it - they can go prepare cow patties for that clown and his yellow M.

Bubba Smith
NE States of America
DVC Member since 2002

:tilt:

DrBond007
02-13-2005, 05:27 PM
ahhhh..... some kinds of smoker's rationalization I see. Doesn't seem like any of those three things listed poison the room for the next guest. Smokers have a right to poison themselves and shorten thier own lifespan, it would just be nice if they didn't try to ruin others vacations by smoking in non-smoking rooms.

athenna
02-13-2005, 05:35 PM
True, but some folks seem to assume that all smokers smoke in non-smoking rooms.

rinkwide
02-13-2005, 07:42 PM
...Doesn't seem like any of those three things listed poison the room for the next guest...Apparently you've never seen a three-year-old Twinkie eater smear chemically engineered cream filling all over a brand new couch.

bears163
02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
i totally do not understand some people who goto disney for a vacation and just be such a misserable person. i was there this past september and i saw alot of people who would just scream at their kids. why would you do that. they are going to be excited. they don't have control over it(pending on their age). why go. why put your kids through your horrible temper. and as far as treating the CM's working the check in politely. think about i this way. put yourself in their shoes. think of all the different people they have to talk to eveyday. they probably put up with the most cpmplaining out of and Cm in disney. even if they are in a bad mood i am still nice to them no matter what. if you are going to mistreat them expect the same back.

Sherri
02-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I for one take my kids to enjoy the whole Disney experience. I don't yell or scream at them. That said, I do see some stressed out parents that seem to be impatient at times. I can't say that I have ever witnessed anything too bad or disturbing such as yelling or screaming.

gmboy95
02-14-2005, 02:16 PM
a couple of issues.

1) inherent in the whole DVC set-up is a built in feeling of entitilement....this is due to the fact that unlike your run-of-the-mill guest, a DVC member has made a significant investment, and does (wether cast members want to know this or not) have an ownership interest....this does not excuse any fool who is rude to staff and is classless enough not to tip.

My experience is that these people are the exception to the rule. This is also why generalizations are a very dangerous thing. Yes people can be rude, but there are over 60,000 members, and i take it the "jerk" list does not have 60,000 names on it.

2) there is also the issue of familiarity.....most people staying at DVC resorts are repeat customers....they have a set expectation, and are more likely to point out deficiencies that they see. Most first time tourists may not know that something is even amiss....peopel who have familiarity are much more in tune, and expect the same level of "magic" per se then your average customer.

Therefore there ought to be an expectation that a DVC customer will be more high maitenence then a regular customer (again, not excusing the zipperheads).....However i would tend to guess that DVC customers are probably very reflective of the rest of the poulation, and due to these circumstances listed above, may seem to be more demanding!!

greenban
02-14-2005, 02:56 PM
a couple of issues.

1) inherent in the whole DVC set-up is a built in feeling of entitilement....this is due to the fact that unlike your run-of-the-mill guest, a DVC member has made a significant investment, and does (wether cast members want to know this or not) have an ownership interest....this does not excuse any fool who is rude to staff and is classless enough not to tip. emphasis added with greenban

My experience is that these people are the exception to the rule. This is also why generalizations are a very dangerous thing. Yes people can be rude, but there are over 60,000 members, and i take it the "jerk" list does not have 60,000 names on it.

2) there is also the issue of familiarity.....most people staying at DVC resorts are repeat customers....they have a set expectation, and are more likely to point out deficiencies that they see. Most first time tourists may not know that something is even amiss....peopel who have familiarity are much more in tune, and expect the same level of "magic" per se then your average customer.

Therefore there ought to be an expectation that a DVC customer will be more high maitenence then a regular customer (again, not excusing the zipperheads).....However i would tend to guess that DVC customers are probably very reflective of the rest of the poulation, and due to these circumstances listed above, may seem to be more demanding!!

I must respectfully take exception to the classless RE: tipping remark. While I freely admit to (and most other members on this board will attest to) being classless, it has nothing to do with tipping.

A tip is an optional expression of gratuity. The CM (waiter, etc) must EARN it.

Poor service = no tip and a complaint to management on my way out with the individuals name. If the manager does not take my complaint seriously (I don't mean a free meal or 'comp'. I mean actually 'listen' to me, then both the manager and the employee get mentioned in a letter to corporate.

Fair service = a small tip (10%ish)

Good service = an average tip (15%ish)

Very Good Service = a good tip (20%ish)

Great Service or Exceptional Service = (25-45%ish tip), and a mention of your name to management on the way out. Exceptional also gets a written letter to corporate headquarters)

I tend to only go back to VGS and GS/ES establishments. My time. money and family's enjoyment are all quite valuable to me. I honestly don't believe this is what makes me classless!

-Tony

TCPluto
02-14-2005, 04:04 PM
I honestly don't believe this is what makes me classless!

-Tony

What then, pray tell, does make you classless???

Just kidding... taking what you wrote literally, though I'm sure that's not what you meant.

nboicepardee
02-14-2005, 09:10 PM
I take offense to this and just because you wrote such a biased post I am glad you feel you are not like other Northeaster's. I know here we do not classify people according to their region. Jerks can live in any part of the world. Please don't continue to give credit to a ridiculous stereotype. It is ignorant to believe that regionality leads to a "type" of person. JFYI you will probably see more "northeasters" in Florida than you can imagine.

When I moved from Upstate NY to NJ I remember thinking that folks from NJ are just a little tougher, but equally kind! I have now lived here since 1998 and I have really come to appreciate how direct and straightforward folks here can be and I have met so many kind, warm and caring people. I also love how diverse the area I live in is.

I also do not appreciate the stereotypes that folks put out.

JUDSON
02-15-2005, 08:24 AM
What then, pray tell, does make you classless???

Just kidding... taking what you wrote literally, though I'm sure that's not what you meant.

actually, i think greenban did mean that literally ("...While I freely admit to, and most other members on this board will attest, to being classless...")

no matter, classless or not it was an excellent response :)

idratherbeinwdw
02-15-2005, 09:57 AM
actually, i think greenban did mean that literally ("...While I freely admit to, and most other members on this board will attest, to being classless...")

no matter, classless or not it was an excellent response :)

I'm a teacher for the local blood bank here on Long Island. I just finished teaching one class and don't start another until Friday. So I am 100% Officially Classless at present. :rotfl: :banana: :rotfl2:

Muushka
02-15-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm a teacher for the local blood bank here on Long Island. I just finished teaching one class and don't start another until Friday. So I am 100% Officially Classless at present. :rotfl: :banana: :rotfl2:

What do you teach at the Blood Bank?? I used to work at a pretty large one in S FL. Interesting industry :) .

raidermatt
02-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Apparently you've never seen a three-year-old Twinkie eater smear chemically engineered cream filling all over a brand new couch.
Good point, but I don't lick the couches at the BWV's either, so as long as its wiped off, it don't bother me none. *insert smiley face licking a couch here*

idratherbeinwdw
02-15-2005, 04:28 PM
What do you teach at the Blood Bank?? I used to work at a pretty large one in S FL. Interesting industry :) .

Actually the Learning and Development Dept of NYBC (ny blood center) is small, so I teach a real potpourri of courses. I teach respect VS harassment, ethics and GMP to the new hires during orientation. All the lab personnel have to take a class called visual inspection of blood products, I teach that too.

But my favorite classes are the Donor Specialist (DS) classes. That's the name we use for the people who do the health histories and draw the blood from the donors. (not sure if you use the same name in FL). Besides knowing the ins and outs of how to do the job, the course deals heavily in customer service skills. Matter of fact, I use WDW examples when it comes to customer service! It's no secret at work that I am a WDW nut, and more than one class has given me a Disney related gift, LOL. You should see my office, full of Disney posters and Memorabilia. Once the DS's have been there a while they can move up in ranks to precept the new hires once they leave my class, and eventually can move up to being in charge of a blood drive. I teach the preceptor and in charge classes too.

Long answer to a short question! BTW what did you do for the blood bank in FL? :wave2:

Muushka
02-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Actually the Learning and Development Dept of NYBC (ny blood center) is small, so I teach a real potpourri of courses. I teach respect VS harassment, ethics and GMP to the new hires during orientation. All the lab personnel have to take a class called visual inspection of blood products, I teach that too.

But my favorite classes are the Donor Specialist (DS) classes. That's the name we use for the people who do the health histories and draw the blood from the donors. (not sure if you use the same name in FL). Besides knowing the ins and outs of how to do the job, the course deals heavily in customer service skills. Matter of fact, I use WDW examples when it comes to customer service! It's no secret at work that I am a WDW nut, and more than one class has given me a Disney related gift, LOL. You should see my office, full of Disney posters and Memorabilia. Once the DS's have been there a while they can move up in ranks to precept the new hires once they leave my class, and eventually can move up to being in charge of a blood drive. I teach the preceptor and in charge classes too.

Long answer to a short question! BTW what did you do for the blood bank in FL? :wave2:

:wave: Hi back! Your job sounds very interesting, and fun. I was involved in the processing-all those yucky HIV/HEP/ABO/Rh...blah blah blah tests. The only time we saw a unit was to stick a blood type sticker on it.

I worked for the large blood bank that was just bought up by another one. Like I said, interesting industry-selling people's blood!

ColoradoBelle1
02-16-2005, 03:30 AM
Boy, I got confused there for a moment with all the posts on blood banks...thought I had accidentally clicked on a different thread. ;)

I wanted to add my two cents to the smoking/nonsmoking debate. I may be naive but since it now seems many cities are outlawing smoking even in BARS...that hardly anyone ever comes to my home and even looks for an ashtray. THey always ask if they may smoke outside...and I live in Colorado at 9000 ft and it gets kinda cold for deck smoking!!!!

So, I really DONT think that too many smokers would smoke if all the Disney rooms became smokefree. Just like in the parks, couldn't they have areas in the hotel, or little bench areas outside where smoking is allowed? I noticed that people weren't supposed to smoke at AKL on the balconies...and I thought that was cool for nonsmokers around the smoker room, but probalby done in an effort to protect hte animals.

I only have one friend who still smokes but stayed with her at Disney in December and she always went to the designated areas in the parks to smoke and never smoked in the room...or even in her own car when there were other passengers. And yes, she is a gem...but I think we need to give more credit to smokers and just hope that they will respect the rules. If there is NO smoking then they can't use the justification that since they didn't get a requested smoking room that they will just sneak a cig in a non smoking room.

Of course, if they get caught smoking, I say feed em to the alligators and tigers!!!!!
Colorado Belle

calypso*a*go-go
02-16-2005, 10:32 AM
During our most recent stay @ BCV we were assigned a non-smoking room. Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was the trash can under the sink had not been emptied. Inside was an empty cigarette pack. From that point on, two things happened...1) I was worried housekeeping would think it was from us and we were smoking in the room. 2) The room smelled like cigarette smoke. The power of suggestion :sad2:.

Anyway, even as a family of non-smokers, I feel there should be a limited amount of smoking rooms at the resorts. The "smokers" paid just as much for the their points and annual maintenance fees as I did. Smoking brings enjoyment/satisfaction/etc. to the people that do it. They shouldn't be treated like second-class citizens because the have a habit I don't. Plus, we have to remember that there are a lot of European DVC owners and smoking is much more prevalent in their countries.

That being said, I would like to see DVC management do a better job of determining what percentage of smoking rooms are actually needed and plan accordingly. I would also like to see DVC members being completely honest and not use the "non-smoking rooms for medical reasons" trump card unless that is truly the case (and believe me, I understand this as my daughter is Asthmatic).

I would also like smokers to be just as honest/understanding and realize if they are given a non-smoking room, that means there were no smoking rooms available and they need to be responsible enough to not smoke in the room.

If everyone would just be mature enough to do the right thing, I don't think it would be a problem at all.

I know...I live in a dream world (but hey, that's why I love Disney so much!).

Plus4206
02-16-2005, 10:53 AM
If you are a smoker, the fact that smoking is allowed at DVC resorts may have been a determining factor in your decision to purchase.

I know our contracts have statements to the affect that DVD reserves the right to make changes as they see fit - ala adding a slide at OKW - but that deals more with the physical structure rather then member lifestyles. DVD can do things to add value to the property. If they replace sofa beds, they must be of equal or greater value then the ones in existance when we purchased. Adding a slide may not please everyone, but it does add value to the resort.

IMO if DVD tried to ban smoking, the smokers could possibly sue. Suddenly not being able to enjoy an after dinner cig in the living room of your Villa could become a serious issue. I think the smokers would win.

athenna
02-16-2005, 10:54 AM
And that would be fine w/me (no offense to anyone)

jbthi
02-16-2005, 11:05 AM
I have just read first page or two of posts so I don't know what all has been said.

If the CM keeps a list of who is naughty or nice I must be on the nice list. I have been upgraded from a standard to preferred view at BWV several times. Also to a 1 BR from a studio once. (it was at the end of the hall though.)

Oh no. :sad2: We just got home from SSR and no upgrade. Does that mean we got moved to the naughty list? :confused3

June

Plus4206
02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
No, it only means you didn't whine loud and long enough at check-in.

athenna
02-16-2005, 11:12 AM
And that's a good thing!

Dean
02-16-2005, 05:06 PM
IMO if DVD tried to ban smoking, the smokers could possibly sue. Suddenly not being able to enjoy an after dinner cig in the living room of your Villa could become a serious issue. I think the smokers would win.There would be no basis for a suit. There was no offer of smoking options implied or otherwise. The fact that they allowed smoking in some of the units would not have any support to a suit of this nature. One would only be wasting their money, even if they could find a lawyer that would take the case, which I doubt one would. DVC would not be the first, or likely the last, to go all NS. Some of the newer Marriott's are going from all smoking to all NS over time and are not expecting any legal implications either. WM has already gone all NS and I'm not aware of a single law suit. Actually I haven't seen a single complaint on TUG about this related to WM though I could have missed it.

SleepyatDVC
02-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Why Castmembers Hate DVC Members!

Because we just can not let a thread die?!!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl2:

And I'm just as guilty as charged! :blush: :rolleyes1

Sherri
02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm sure the smokers could sell their Disney points if it came to Disney becoming non smoking. I mean years ago workplaces had indoor smoking areas and now they don't, you can't really sue for that.

raidermatt
02-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Nah, just like non-smokers are not guaranteed access to NS rooms, smokers are not guaranteed access to smoking rooms.

athenna
02-16-2005, 06:17 PM
doesn't seem like anyone requesting a smoking room should have a hard time getting one.

Greysword
02-16-2005, 06:34 PM
The banning of all smoking rooms would be an issue for the individual resort's home owners association, I would think. If so, then I would bet people that smoked would show up to that annual meeting :bitelip:

Of course, someone may be able to get this on the ballot if they wanted to.

Plus4206
02-16-2005, 08:06 PM
DVC can't start dictating lifestyles. If they can ban smoking, then they can ban drinking. They could make it heterosexual only. They could make married heterosexuals only.

And the idea of not finding a lawyer to take the case ? How's that possible ?

DrBond007
02-16-2005, 08:14 PM
DVC can't start dictating lifestyles. If they can ban smoking, then they can ban drinking. They could make it heterosexual only. They could make married heterosexuals only.

And the idea of not finding a lawyer to take the case ? How's that possible ?
Sorry, but that is nonsense, nobody is banning non-heterosexuals, your anology is beyond far fetched. And, whether you like it or not, there are dry counties and dry cities where alcohol sales are banned. For a Disney related example, Alcohol is not served any place in the MK I believe. Several cities have made public establishments non-smoking. One I know of is Columbus Ohio. You cannot smoke in a downtown restaraunt or bar. DVC could choose to make a resort non-smoking.

Certainly if DVC is responsive to it's members and they conducted a survey, I think there would be plenty of support for the implementation of a non-smoking rule by the majority of DVC members. No lawyer real or pretend could win against that kind of data. They haven't won against voters in Columbus.