PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Airport - Recommendations wanted

iluvwesties
01-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am considering the overnight stay at one of the motel's/hotel's the night before we fly down on Feb 24th. The reason is that we have to be in the airport by 7am to check in and we would be coming from Whitby during rush hour traffic, so I thought it might make more sense to stay closer to the airport and just get the shuttle over in the a.m.

Does anyone have a favorite that is reasonably priced ($100 or under)?

Look forward to your replies, iluvwesties (AKA Carol :wave: )

Scratch42
01-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Try the Holiday Inn Select.

Scratch

iluvwesties
01-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks Scratch,

I'll check them out.

iluvwesties (AKA Carol)
:earsgirl:

belle1627
01-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Carol,

I live in Ajax and work out at Pearson. I have to be at work every morning at either 6 or 7. The drive is not bad at these times.
When I start work at 7, I leave my house @ 6:10 and it takes me 45 minutes to get to the west side of the airport (Dixie Rd - which is even farther than you'll have to go)
Honestly, save the money (more to spend at Disney), leave your place around 5:45 and you'll be there with plenty of time to spare for 7.
You'll have no problems with the traffic. Its constantly moving, (about 90-100km/h), its just not the regular breakneck speeds we're used to seeing on the 401.
Let me know if I can be any help.

riu girl
01-14-2005, 12:29 PM
We just spent last Sunday at the Doubletree International Plaza (we spent the day with my mom who was on her way to the Caribbean until the end of the month) by the Toronto airport.

Their current stopover rate is $109 plus tax. That includes parking for two weeks, room for 2 adults and 2 kids, shuttle both ways. I have stayed at this hotel countless times and just love it.
They offer a huge indoor pool, 2 waterslides, huge hot tub, sauna, arcade and fitness room. They also offer free warm cookies at check it. I started staying at this hotel when it ws offered at $69/nt and just keep on going back.

Suzy

iluvwesties
01-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi Belle1627,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question. I didn't realise that the drive was 45min. I thought it would take at least 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs. The other concern I have is if the weather is really bad. I once got caught on HWY 401 behind three snowplows on my way to the airport for a trip to Mexico one evening, I was supposed to be at the airport by 7pm and finally arrived at 10pm.

The one good thing was that all the flights were delayed because of the bad weather, so even though I was late getting to the airport, I still made the flight.

Must say "your kids are cute" ::yes:: I bet they love going to WDW!!!

Thanks again,
iluvwesties (AKA Carol :wave: )

iluvwesties
01-14-2005, 01:57 PM
riu girl,

Thanks also for your reply. I haven't yet checked the rates for Doubletree but $109 seems reasonable for this grade of hotel.

Thanks for your review and recommendation.

iluvwesties (AKA Carol :wave: )

belle1627
01-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Must say "your kids are cute" ::yes:: I bet they love going to WDW!!!

Thanks again,
iluvwesties (AKA Carol :wave: )[/QUOTE]

Hi Carol,

I can understand wanting to be sure you are there on time and it seems we can never be to sure about our weather. Thank you very much about my children, I think they are cute too LOL and yes they can't wait, but neither can we.
PS. We love westies too, my dh grew up with them and scotties so I am sure it is just a matter of time before we have one. Enjoy your trip!!
Gina :flower1:

iluvwesties
01-14-2005, 10:26 PM
belle1627,

Should you decide to get a little westie and aren't sure where to look, let me know, as I just did this research in 2004. We got our little MacKenzie in April 2004. She is our second westie. As soon as I can figure out how to post photo's as part of the signature, I will put MacKenzie on the DIS boards.

iluvwesties(AKA Carol) :wave2:

jersey shark
01-16-2005, 07:35 AM
My favorites on the Airport Strip in Toronto are the Marriott, the Wyndham, and the Sheraton at Terminal 3....don't know about "parking packages" as I'm there for business only. I've heard good things about the Doubletree since they took over the Int'l Plaza...and of course Doubletree is famous for their cookies at check-in.

Think it'd be a great idea to go the night before, have a nice dinner, go for a swim (Marriott pool/hot-tub is the best and cleanest around imo) and enjoy the nice comfortable feel of this hotel.

Rates are high during the week (about $250 Cdn, however on weekends they do fall through the floor...to about $109 I think)...not sure exactly when you're going....

iluvwesties
01-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Jersey Shark, Thanks for the reviews and reply.

I was interested to see that one of your votes was for the Sheraton Terminal 3 as on travelocity.ca it got mostly bad reviews from the people who had booked it via that website.

I can now see 2 votes for Doubletree which is the main contender.

Marriott and Wyndham are now in the running.

We were also checking out Delta at the airport (if anyone has stayed there, please reply) as we could use airmiles for this one (more $ for Disney then :Pinkbounc ).

I would need to book for Feb 23rd (Wed) as our flight is on Feb 24th (Thursday) at 9:45am. I didn't know that weekday rates were higher, so there is no getting around that one.

Thanks again, all who have replied so far.

iluvwesties (AKA Carol)
:wave:

katter24
01-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Iluvwesties,
I have Stayed at the Sheraton Gateway a couple of times...rates during the week run from 179.00 to 250.00 and up.....ouch....The Marriott is great ...stayed there twice and also stayed at the Regal Constellation.....room wasn't all that but the pool is great....it is partly indoor and when you go through the flap the rest of the pool is outdoors.....loved that .....The rates are always lower on weekends....I unfortunately will be leaving on a Wednesday so haven't made up my mind where I'm going to stay yet.....

LEAVING IN 60 DAYS......

HERE WE COME MICKEY!!!!!

Katter24

TiggerCat
01-16-2005, 09:14 AM
We just stayed at the Delta Toronto Airport West in August and while the hotel was nice we will not stay again since there are issues with security of vehicles parked long-term. Their shuttle service was also hit and miss.

We have also stayed at the Marriott and the Sheraton and I would definitely stay at the Marriott again (Sheraton was very nice but way too pricey). The trick is to try and plan your flights so that you stay between Thursday and Sunday when you can usually get the stopover rate at the Marriott for about $109 - $119. I have also heard great things about the International Plaza since Doubletree took it over and we may stay there this fall if we can't get the Marriott at a reasonable price.

Best of luck!

TC.

iluvwesties
01-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi Katter24 & TiggerCat,

Thanks for your reviews!
It looks like Marriott is gaining votes.

I love these boards! ::yes::

iluvwesties (AKA Carol) :wave:

Parkerpooh
01-16-2005, 11:40 AM
We just got back and stayed at the Doubletree and thought it was great. We had the pool all to ourselves(slides don't open until 6pm) and it was nice and quiet. Shuttle service was great, it comes every 20mins to the airport and drivers were nice and even let me keep my stroller together instead of collapsing it. Will stay here again in the future. No covered parking if that's a concern. Good luck with your decision! Jen

iluvwesties
01-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Doubletree is now becoming a favorite. Unfortunately for me there is no availability on Feb 23rd when I need to go! :sad2:

KerriMc
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
We stayed at the Marriott last February when we flew out early and we were pleased with it as we could leave our car there at no cost in underground parking for the week. It was either 99 or 109 ... I can't remember .... the only thing I didn't like was the double beds, but that was because one of us had to sleep with our then almost 3 yr old and she is brutal to sleep with in close quarters!!! :eek: We are going to book again for March ... I'll check into Doubletree as well.

Oh ... and the shuttle was good and ran frequently!

Kerri