PDA

View Full Version : Shades Of Green Transportation / smoking options?

ArmyWifey1974
01-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Hello.. I tried to do a search on these few questions , but had no luck .Can someone help? .Thanks in advance :) ... Ok I know that there is no monorail going by Shades of Green but has anyone walked to the Poly and taken the monorail from there? and if so how far of a walk is it? is there a sidewalk or would hubby and I be walking in the road? LOL... also does the monorail at the Poly take you to the TTC or directly to MK? ... also are the buses every 15 minutes like the other resorts? and lastly are there Any places to smoke at Shades of Green? ...... Any tips you can share are appreciated!... Thanks, Janet

Disney_1derland
01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello.. I tried to do a search on these few questions , but had no luck .Can someone help? .Thanks in advance :) ... Ok I know that there is no monorail going by Shades of Green but has anyone walked to the Poly and taken the monorail from there? and if so how far of a walk is it? is there a sidewalk or would hubby and I be walking in the road? LOL... also does the monorail at the Poly take you to the TTC or directly to MK? ... also are the buses every 15 minutes like the other resorts? and lastly are there Any places to smoke at Shades of Green? ...... Any tips you can share are appreciated!... Thanks, Janet

Hi, here are some answers:

Walk to the Poly is about 15 minutes on a sidewalk and yes, we did this quite a few times when going to the MK for early entry. Otherwise we just took the bus to the TTC. Monorail from the Poly takes you to the GF then MK then Contemporary then TTC. Bus to TTC runs every 15 minutes. You can smoke on your balcony at SOG and there is a designated smoking area at the pool area but that is it. Have a great time!

Tigge50447
01-06-2005, 01:54 PM
We just ended up taking the buses, they seemed to work well. The bus trip to the transportation center was like 5 mins. From the transportation center you can get anywhere. Hope on the monorail or take another bus. We never felt the need to walk to the poly the bus was always there or we just did potty breaks and get a drink before another one pulled up. I was Happy with the transportation at SOG

The one thing I noticed was that with a stoller it seemed like there was only one way to get to the where the buses are downstairs. You had to go out the main door then on the left take an elevator down but not an elevator inside because that would bring you to the garden gallery, by the 3rd day we were experts.

Have fun!

caseywirth
01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
You can also smoke out front at the bus area. It takes about ten minutes to walk to the poly.

bdcp
01-07-2005, 08:14 AM
The walk is more like ten minutes than 15 unless you really take a leisurely stroll and stop to look at things along the way. There is a sidewalk that runs down along the entrance road, by the pond and a place to cross over to the poly. We found the transportation very easy to use and always on time to and from SOG. But, it was convenient to walk to/from the poly too. Apparently there is an alligator in the pond but we never saw him.

Tigge50447
01-07-2005, 09:08 AM
I never saw him either. Once when we where coming back to SOG on the bus the bus driver stopped and picked up 2 people walking from the poly to SOG the bus was pretty empty so that was nice

bdcp
01-07-2005, 09:35 AM
My dh and I are going in Nov (boys in college) and we'll probably walk back and forth a few times so I plan on looking for him. Others have reported seeing his eyes above the water at night because they reflect light, but I just want him to stay in the pond while I walk by.

SOG is the best deal if you qualify to stay there. And this time it's just the two of us since the boys are away at school, so it'll be different. And since everyone who stays there has much more in common with each other than at other hotels, it's a very friendly place. Of course, conversations usually center around what branch, active, retired or reserve, etc, but it makes it comfortable.

ArmyWifey, when are you going? Another tip I'd give is eat breakfast in the buffet a few times. It's only like $7.99 for adults and less for children and while not gourmet, it's standard breakfast food and I thought good and convenient. The offerings do vary by kinds of eggs, meats, waffles, pancakes, etc. Different each day. We had the same waitress every morning for 6 days in '98 and she took very good care of us, including getting my oldest son just toast since he wasn't a breakfast eater. It was an inexpensive way to get a large meal and then no one would be hungry before lunch. We'd eat by 8 or so and have time to catch the bus and be in one of the parks at opening. The longest bus ride is to MGM and the water parks though so you have to schedule accordingly.

clkelley
01-07-2005, 10:10 AM
When we walked over to Shades of Green to pick up some tickets there was a golf cart that was running back and forth from the main entrance of SOG to the crosswalk to the Poly. It was a nice feature.

Carol

KatRob
01-08-2005, 06:50 PM
The gator is a bit elusive, but he is there. On our last trip we were walking back from the Poly in the afternoon and spotted the eyes and nostrils above the water. We have seen two babies out of the water on a previous trip. Keep looking, he is definitely there!

Bon Bon
01-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, finally some info. on SOG. Thanks for all the great tips. I have a few more questions for those of you that have been there. We will be going in September:

Do you know what the prices are on the Green Leaf (?) package? The package that include a breakfast and dinner buffet every day?

What is the hotel tax and tax on the Stars and Stripes tickets? (I'm very anal when it comes to planning down to the penny)

I've heard a lot that the rooms are HUGE but there are 5 of us going. One of them being my mother-in-law. Will there be plenty of space for all of us to move around? If not, I may consider two rooms or a Jr. Suite. Do you know of anywhere that has a picture of the room layouts?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Bon Bon :)

Sleepy
01-09-2005, 04:31 PM
........... but there are 5 of us going. One of them being my mother-in-law. Will there be plenty of space for all of us to move around? If not, I may consider two rooms or a Jr. Suite. Bon Bon :)

Does the suites have 2 bathrooms? If not, I would suggest getting connecting rooms (about same price as suite). Have stayed in a regular room with 3 adults and 2 children before. While space was not a major thing (don't do much more than sit on bed, couch, or chairs at table and walk to and from bathroom), having to share bathroom time can become an issue.....especially when everyone is trying to get ready at the same time.

Bon Bon
01-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks Sleepy. I believe there is only 1 bathroom. Good point! princess:

caseywirth
01-09-2005, 08:19 PM
There are two bathrooms in the suites. There is no tax on the hotel rooms or tickets! :flower1:

Bon Bon
01-09-2005, 08:48 PM
No tax on the rooms? WOO HOO!! :earseek:

Maybe we will get the suite!

Thanks! :grouphug:

dismsn
01-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Enjoy your trip to SOG! We stayed there in Aug/Sept and walked along the path to the Poly most of the time (it was a short walk). We had fun riding the monorail from the Poly and also took the ferry back from the Magic Kingdom a few nights. We have two girls (9 and 12) and had great fun pretending to hear or spot the alligator on our walk back from the Poly each evening. One night we did see the alligator and my husband got a picture of the glowing eyes. My youngest daughter and I didn't stick around to get a close-up look. So . . . if you decide to walk to/from the Poly, enjoy looking for the alligator.

Melisa1
01-19-2005, 07:04 AM
You can smoke on your balcony or patio as well.