PDA

View Full Version : Poly Cult

jellydisney
01-05-2005, 09:40 AM
It seems like the Poly has a cult following among a lot of DISers. I would like to stay there sometime, but need some ammo to convince other people going with me. So... what is better about the Poly than the other resorts?

spiceycat
01-05-2005, 09:44 AM
atmosphere, the torches along the paths and beaches, you can almost believe you are in Hawaii...

Ilovestitch
01-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Poly is my favorite b/c I like the theme and it has the best transportation, great restaurants.

Colorado Belle
01-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I may be biased. I lived in Hawaii for about 8 years. I miss it!
I was engaged at the Poly Luau...and went back for one night (that's all I could get despite daily calling for 15 months)on our honeymoon, and every year thereafter. Now divorced...so staying at the Poly would be a challenge

BUT: all that being said.

The Poly feels like a tropical resort. The tiki torches (even tho they don't play the Hawaaian music much anymore..used to come out of 'rocks' along the pathways, very soft, very nice, used to be lots of gardenias so a guy could pick a flower for his girl's hair on a special night. Staying in a room lagoon front is important to capture the feeling...sitting on a balcony or lanai to watch the 9pm water show with the castle in the background....MAGICAL!

The rooms aren't all that special, but fairly large compared to newer resorts.
I've read where the luau has changed and it isn't all that it once was, BUT I love walking the beach at night, watching the ducks on the little outcrop...saw some babies there once....love the ambience.

If you can't make it to Hawaii...this is a good replacement! And Hawaii doesn't have any castles.......
If the resorts were all priced the same, Poly would be my first choice.

Colorado Belle

NCRedding
01-05-2005, 10:05 AM
we enjoyed the Poly when we stayed there. I loved the pool, the tropical feel of the resort, being able to see MK from areas of the resort; the transportation option--monorail, boat, bus, walking over to the TTC; the alohas from the staff; the relaxed nature of the resort. I loved the size of the rooms, the large closet for storage, the large bathroom, the Neverland Club.

We had a marvelous trip when we went there.

jellydisney
01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Are the rooms bigger than in other resorts? How would they compare to a typical studio?

DaddyBeast
01-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Want to convince others that the Polynesian is better than other resorts? How about mentioning that it has its own "cult following" among members on the DISboards?

Why join the cult?

As soon as you arrive your cousins welcome you home as if you had never left. Everything is familiar, and everyone is family.

You may see the wonderful flower leis worn right down Main Street USA and recognize your cousins who have just checked in themselves.

All is right with the world because the same island music still plays as you wander the volcanic rock-colored pathways up to sunset point where you brave the island winds to see the castle through the palm trees.

You can open your sliding glass door at night to hear the howl of the wolf from the Haunted Mansion, or take a nap in a hammock on the beach listening to the whistle of the train.

The lagoon makes you feel like you are miles away from everything, and suddenly out in the distance you hear the sound of tonight's fireworks display, put on just for you and your Polynesian cousins.

If you are lucky, you'll be passing through the lobby as the Big Kahuna invites you to the traditional Torch Lighting Ceremony where you become an official member of the cult, and your cousin performs the Fire Dance in celebration.

When you are ready to join, step into the Hawaii Concierge Building and partake of the Orange Guava Nectar. You will instantly become addicted and wonder why it took you so long.

Aloha, and Mahalo.

cajunfan
01-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I love evrything that everyone else has mentioned, but the very best reason, is you can not beat the TRANSPORTATION options available at the Poly.

Kaye
01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I, too, agree with everything. The Poly brings back great memories--from my and my DH's childhood, as well as with our own kids. The Poly gets better, but the soul of this resort stays the same--welcoming, comfortable, romantic. And the Poly transportation cannot be beat. This is especially true for busier times. I never thought I'd be a member of a cult, but I'll happily pledge my allegiance to this one. :worship:

Bride In The Attic
01-05-2005, 01:17 PM
As soon as you arrive your cousins welcome you home as if you had never left. Everything is familiar, and everyone is family.

You may see the wonderful flower leis worn right down Main Street USA and recognize your cousins who have just checked in themselves.

All is right with the world because the same island music still plays as you wander the volcanic rock-colored pathways up to sunset point where you brave the island winds to see the castle through the palm trees.

You can open your sliding glass door at night to hear the howl of the wolf from the Haunted Mansion, or take a nap in a hammock on the beach listening to the whistle of the train.

The lagoon makes you feel like you are miles away from everything, and suddenly out in the distance you hear the sound of tonight's fireworks display, put on just for you and your Polynesian cousins.

If you are lucky, you'll be passing through the lobby as the Big Kahuna invites you to the traditional Torch Lighting Ceremony where you become an official member of the cult, and your cousin performs the Fire Dance in celebration.

When you are ready to join, step into the Hawaii Concierge Building and partake of the Orange Guava Nectar. You will instantly become addicted and wonder why it took you so long.

Aloha, and Mahalo.

Very well said!! For me a trip to the Poly is like returning "home"...I feel like I grew up at the Poly and now I'm watching it through the eyes of my children.

Aloha

spiceycat
01-05-2005, 01:18 PM
it has its own website - started by a fan - Steve has been to Hawaii lots and still loves the Polyn.

http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/

steveanddonna
01-05-2005, 01:31 PM
The location is terrific, transportation is awesome, the way the surrounding views are framed - boy, Disney planned ahead. For me, though, the best part is the family feeling and the contrast between the hectic pace of the parks and the laid-back, miles-away atmosphere of the Poly. It's like getting two vacations in one.

njzieglers
01-05-2005, 01:48 PM
We joined DVC several years ago, so we havn't stayed at the Poly since, but no trip to the "world" is complete without going to the poly. It's still our favorite resort.

jellydisney
01-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys! Next time we book, I'm gonna try to convince everyone to stay there.

And wow, that website is very thorough!

PamNC
01-05-2005, 02:52 PM
of the Poly cult. I joined the cult in 2004, with my first stay in Feb. Loved it so much, went back in July.

We love the Poly for several reasons. As the realtors all say, "location, location, location." Being on the monorail line is priceless. And, at the Poly you're within walking distance to the TTC so you can easily hop the train to Epcot. We love the views from the beach, especially watching the fireworks. The volcano pool, although it's not Stormalong Bay, is fabulous. I love the underwater Hawaiin music. The theming, landscaping, laid-back feel, excellent CMs who say ALOHA as you walk by, the food and drink offerings are all other reasons why it's special. We love the torchlit walkways. Oh, and the luau lessons in the lobby on Saturday. The special touches make all the difference.

But there is something intangible that makes the Poly special. I think it truly has Walt's spirit - the real Disney magic. I can't explain it really. I just won't try.

PamNC

eeyore0062
01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
It is definitely the romantic theming. The torches along the walkways with the beautiful plants and flowers. The beach with the swings and hammocks looking out over the Seven Seas Lagoon with Cinderella's Castle in the background. Love the lobby with the gorgeous waterfalls and plants. The restaurants are very nice (we love both 'Ohana and Kona Cafe). The shops are really nice, we have gotten nice Polynesian themed picture frames, lanterns (got them last visit) and jewelry.

It is such a relaxing place. We spent much more time at the resort than we usually would. You can rent surrey bikes and bike through the grounds, and even over to GF, you can rent different types of boats. The pool is beautiful, and never felt overcrowded. The quiet pool, honestly was quiet and secluded for a late night romantic dip.

Ask for a room with a balcony and have room service while you sit out there. Our only request was that we didn't have a view of the monorail, and we ended up with a beautiful view of the quiet pool area. We were in Raratonga, 3rd floor with balcony, room number ended in 13, which I believe was on purpose, since it was our 13th anniversary. They even delivered an autographed picture of Mickey and Minnie in wedding attire to our room.

So far, the Polynesian is our favorite resort. Next time we want to spring for Concierge and spend much more time hanging around the resort!

TigrLvsPooh
01-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm not in the Poly Cult, but we really enjoyed our stay there. :) It's definitely in my top 4 along with the YC, WL, and GF. It just depends on what kind of trip you're looking to have and what park you want to be closest to. :wave:

ColoradoBelle1
01-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks to whoever posted the Poly Cult site....didn't realize all the years 2000 and up changes that happened coincidentally with my separation and divorce. Since I was engaged at TONGA....which is NOW Hawaii, there have been lots of changes in the last 25 years!!!!!!
Glad that there is still music along the walkways and the torches and of course...the castle view from lagoon rooms. I was sad when Tonga aka Hawaii became concierge cause we couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) afford 'our' room then. But the new longhouse next door still afforded lovely castle views, so we were happy.

The only differences that might not be pluses are: due to winter freezes they pretty much took out the gardenia bushes all around. I always looked forward to a blossom for my hair. And the new luau isn't getting the same good reviews as the old show used to get....After seeing many Hawaiian luau shows, I thought the old Polyl show was exceptional. I haven't actually been to the Spirit of Aloha show tho.

For some reason , I can't post as Colorado Belle...so I'm now CB1 HA!

It was fun taking a trip down memory lane and I'd rec'd that linked website in one of the above posts for anyone interested in the Poly!
Thanks,
CB1

dreamflight99
01-16-2005, 06:17 PM
And the new luau isn't getting the same good reviews as the old show used to get....After seeing many Hawaiian luau shows, I thought the old Polyl show was exceptional. I haven't actually been to the Spirit of Aloha show tho.

Boy...you hit the nail on the head with this one!~The OLD show was absolutely the BEST! The entertainment seemed to be better, the servers were more attentive, and the FOOD...was SO much better! The changes made recently, (included some updating and renovation) were not enough. Even the staff made such comments, on our visit there last summer. :guilty:

We used to LOVE the fish (sea bass, etc) offering, as well as the shrimp dish (which has also disappeared). They replaced the upside~down pineapple cake with some other dessert as well. I just think the old show...was leagues above the current one. Just as the old "hoop de due" revue was better, with the BEEF ribs, as opposed to the pork (IMHO). :D

Glad to see someone else recalls the WAY IT WAS...and believes the changes were NOT an improvement! ::yes::

goofyandmore
01-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Wow DaddyBeast, that was the best description of the wonderful aspects of the polynesian that I have EVER read!! You know, I was on the edge about returning this year because it is difficult to travel since my youngest has special needs, but wow, you just clinched it for me! I need to walk those tiki torch lit paths real soon and relax on that white, calm beach under a cabana. I need to drink that guava/orange drink once again and say aloha to my cousins. Yes, I need to watch the serene electrical water parade with my 3 wonderful kids, husband, mom and brother. Polynesian here we come!!!!!!

PaulDavid's mom
01-17-2005, 11:35 AM
We are planning a march/april 2006 trip and were trying to decide if we wanted to spend the money for a room at the Poly...You all convinced me! I am now soooo excited and cannot wait till our trip. It's too far away! Now for a question.. so you can see the castle and fireworks from the beach? Would i ask for a lagoon view when i make ressies? Or are there other wonderful spots to reserve?