PDA

View Full Version : Is Feb 1-5 2005 a bad time to go?

Elysiannn
01-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi all - I'm trying to do a quick trip before Value season ends and I first tried for Dolphin and they're booked solid (save for the 3, 4, 5 hot weekend) on that week. Then I read AP has black out dates at that time.

Are there tons of conferences and sport camps taking over all the resorts during that week?

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Ely

Exp.626Stitch
01-05-2005, 09:49 AM
We'll be there from Feb 1-10th. We are staying at POP Feb 1-6th and CSR 6-10th. We got the AP rate for all those nights. We had originally been staying at POP the whole vacation but decided to try CSR while we were there and just on Sunday we switched to CSR with the AP rate. I had tried to get CSR the week before and they told me that there was no AP rooms available but once they put the MYW program up, more rooms became available. I'd keep trying but maybe try a different resorts.

jennymouse
01-05-2005, 09:49 AM
I hope not, we'll be there then. We went same time last year and crowds were low. If it's more crowded than usual, we'll just deal with it though.

Elysiannn
01-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Should I call CRO and see what I can get? If I could get AP rates during that time that would be great.

mmeb144
01-05-2005, 09:56 AM
AP rates may be gone. As far as I know, you can't use them for that time frame, it expired on 12/31/04.

I would call now, if you can get through. I tried earlier and it was busy.

Marie

Taratink
01-05-2005, 11:24 AM
That is the same time we wnet last year and it was a wonderful time to go.
We will be there 1/30-2/5 this year. Have a great trip!
Tara

Brina
01-05-2005, 12:52 PM
we went 2 years ago from 2/2-2/9. There were very low crowds except for the last 2 days when there was a big cheerleading competition at MGM.

Brina

noladave
01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Just a note - SuperBowl is on Sunday the 6th. It's only a short drive to Jacksonville, the site of the superbowl. You might have a few people combining a Disney trip with a Superbowl trip. The other idea might be that some travel groups are blocking out large groups of rooms, just in case they need them for Super Bowl weekend.

We are arriving on the 7th of February, and chose that date to avoid any Super Bowl issues. I don't know if there will be any Super Bowl issues, we just decided not to take a chance.

Some people from the New Orleans area might be showing up that weekend, as well, since that is the start of Mardi Gras vacation week. Most New Orleans schools are closed either M-F (2/7-2/11), or M-W (2/7-2/9), so folks go skiiing, or go to Disney.

Winka
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I was hoping for answers, too.

I've travelled during this timeframe in the past and have had no problems. Only this year am I reading warnings that the weekend of Feb 4 is a difficult time. Isn't the Superbowl always in Jacksonville? I have been at the World during the Superbowl but didn't notice the kind of difficulty I'm experiencing this time around.

I wonder if there isn't another reason?

speedyf
01-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Winka...

I think NOLADave is right on the money. The Super Bowl changes sites each year. Last year it was in Houston, TX. This year, it's in Jacksonville, FL. It's been in New Orleans several times in the past.

Also....like NOLADave said....most of Louisiana's kids are off from either February 5th (Sat) thru February 13th (Sun) or February 5th (Sat) thru February 9th (Weds) for Mardi Gras. Most other business close at least Mardi Gras Day in Louisiana (Tuesday, February 8th).

Most people try to take a vacation at that time of year because of all the tourist coming into Louisiana plus the fact that alot of people have a paid holiday (Mardi Gras) so they don't have to use as many vacation days.

Mardi Gras also extends into parts of Mississippi and Alabama (Mobile, etc).

So...having the Super Bowl on February 6th in Jacksonville (only about 2+ hours away from Orlando) and having Mardi Gras starting on that same weekend is probably what's contributing to the extra people at Disney World this year.

speed :teleport:

PS - You are one sick person to like that Beverly drink at the Cool Station in EPCOT :) (Just Kiddin')

coffeekk
01-05-2005, 02:38 PM
I just booked the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 2/6-2/15 (Jan. 4th) and recieved the AP rate of $151 for a savannah view. There were still plenty of resorts with AP rates left.

Winka
01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
PS - You are one sick person to like that Beverly drink at the Cool Station in EPCOT :) (Just Kiddin')
LOL! I like to live dangerously.;)

Ah! See, I no NOTHING about football!:p:p It doesn't make me any happier to think that FOOTBALL is keeping me from WDW but at leat now we know.

jenjersnap
01-05-2005, 02:48 PM
I decided on Monday to try to plan a last minute trip for 2/2-2/6. When I called on Monday, I had my choice of deluxe resorts with AP rates. I decided on the Poly at that time, but after discussing it with DH decided to save money and split between WL and the Dolphin. Called back yesterday and had no difficulty switching to WL ($140 woods view, no stds left). We are moving to the Dolphin for the $159 rate that weekend but yesterday the DU site was showing availability for earlier in the week too though it was at rack. You might want to try their site, if you really want to stay at Dolphin.

I had heard that Superbowl Sunday was one of the deader in the parks. Hmmm, I guess we'll see!

WayneWatsonFan
01-05-2005, 02:49 PM
I called last Sunday afternoon and got AP rate for POR from Jan 28 thru Feb 4. From everything I've heard, it will be very low crowds while we're there, at least I'm hoping!

We went last week of January 2002 and had very sparse crowds then. We rode many rides over and over due to NO lines.....I think our record was 6 straight on Buzz Lightyear, the kids were in heaven!

Gary M
01-05-2005, 03:55 PM
:cool1:

We have AP room rates at the WL for Feb. 1-8. As others have said some AP rates are still available. Call CRO at 1-800-828-0228 and ask it won't cost anything for the call. Good luck.

girlsx2
01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
This is one of the best times to go. We always go the last week of Value Season and we have never had any problem with crowds anywhere. The weather has always been very pleasant as well. We are not doing Disney this year (boohoo) as we have decided on going on a cruise instead. I am already having withdraw from Disney as I am already missing it!! I am going to go ahead and book my room for next year in March so I can go ahead and make my plans!!

Have a great time!!

:flower1:

noladave
01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Just for your information (not sure if you want to know), Mardi Gras is not the same time every year. It is 47 days before easter, on a day called Fat Tuesday, which is the day before Ash Wednesday. It can be as early as February 3rd (it's Feb 8th this year), and as late as March 9th. I have no idea how many people from New Orleans go to Disney, but I do know that it's almost impossible to get any airplane tickets on that weekend. Most people go skiing, but some go to Disney, or to other fun destinations.

In a big park like Disney, I have no idea if you will be able to see the difference, but it is something to be aware of. Same could be said for the Super Bowl. I have no idea how many hotels are in Jacksonville, but when the hotels in New Orleans fill up for Super Bowls, they stay as far as 2 - 3 hours away. I was just throwing out some explanations as to why it might be crowded on the weekend of the 5th.

winniedapooh
01-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Wow looks like a few of us DISers will be there during this time frame. Count DH & I in for Feb. 2-7. I will be on the lookout for lime green! :D

swilphil
01-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi all - I'm trying to do a quick trip before Value season ends and I first tried for Dolphin and they're booked solid (save for the 3, 4, 5 hot weekend) on that week. Then I read AP has black out dates at that time. Are there tons of conferences and sport camps taking over all the resorts during that week?

You have football fans all over the country who think they are going to watch their team play in the Super Bowl in Jacksonville and take a quick trip to Disney while they are there. So many people have booked these rooms, just in case their team makes it. As more teams are eliminated during the playoffs, you'll have a lot of cancellations. So keep trying. The Dolphin is great if you want to split your stay between that and another resort. The $159 rate is really a good deal and rooms may open up for the other days.

shel985
01-06-2005, 08:17 AM
We are from New Orleans and we've taken Feb. Disney trips the last two years for the Mardi Gras season. Crowds were low both times and got a little more crowded over the weekend but nothing like during summer months and christmas. I've had no problem changing my dates and resort stays so far. I'd keep trying. It is a great time of year to go.

GRUMPYMOMOF3
01-06-2005, 09:11 AM
We will be at Disney Feb.3-8.We are from Mobile,Alabama,our girls are out of school for Mardi Gras.Staying at POR.We booked several months ago and got a great rate.Iwas noticing on Expedia that alot of rooms are sold out for that week.But the cheerleading event is also going on,so that may be where the rooms are going.That should not effect the parks though.So i was told. :cheer2:

jokan
01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Im not worried about the Super Bowl or the Mardi Gras Refugees. My concerns lie with the National Dance Team Competion. They arrive on Feb 2 and Leave Feb 9. You can see the highlites here http://www.varsity.com/ndtc_05_tphighlight.pdf. They get special nites at the parks so plan accordingly. I am really not looking forward to abunch of screaming unchaperoned teenage girls.

jenjersnap
01-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Im not worried about the Super Bowl or the Mardi Gras Refugees. My concerns lie with the National Dance Team Competion. They arrive on Feb 2 and Leave Feb 9. You can see the highlites here http://www.varsity.com/ndtc_05_tphighlight.pdf. They get special nites at the parks so plan accordingly. I am really not looking forward to abunch of screaming unchaperoned teenage girls.

Hmmm, anyone have any idea what day their MK party is? I tried to find it by googling without much success. When there is a party like that, is it after hours and for them only? Or, is the park open to other guests during hours when the park would normally be open?

I see that they are also having a party on Sunday evening at MGM. MK concerns me since we only have only day scheduled for MK.

firenurse
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I think they will be at MK on Friday night after competition that day. MK has EMH that day, so I think they just get the extra 3 hours??

alyssa810
01-06-2005, 06:50 PM
We've had good look in early February too, light crowds, etc., except the cheerleaders are usually there then....