PDA

View Full Version : Reserving room, then applying AP discounts

bcpage
01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
I believe I have read where people have reserved rooms and then later when AP discounts were announced, had them applied to their existing reservations. Is this correct? i would like to reserve rooms for after Thanksgiving now and then apply the discounts when they are available. Is this a good strategy?--thanks

Luv2Roam
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
yes indeedy

bcpage
01-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Sorry, i posted this in the wrong forum...should have been in Resorts

NewEnglandDisney
01-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, it works if they have similar rooms available at the discount. However, DO NOT book online if you intend to change it later. It is much more difficult to change a ressie made online than one by phone - instead of just transfering your deposit to the next ressie, they have to get a new one for the new ressie and manually refund the prior one. Was a big headache for me - especially when they "lost" the refund - but that's another story. Just make your reservations on the phone, and you should be fine.

Good luck getting a good rate!

N.E.D.

bcpage
01-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the replies!

benedicttw
01-05-2005, 04:29 PM
We typically will reserve a moderate to be sure we have a room at an OK price. When the AP discounts come out we upgrade to a deluxe at a small premium over the moderate.

TLinden16
01-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the DIS, BCPage! :wave:

Yes, lots of folks do reserve a room, and then apply a code or AP rate when they become available. Just be aware that these rates are limited, and you may have to be flexible with where you stay. Reserving a room does not mean you will get a discount when they come available.

Karen

susy
01-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Amen, Karen! Reserving a room now at rack rate gets you one thing- a room at rack rate. When the discounts come out, they are not applying it to your room as it's an aready sold room. You can get a discount if there are enough rooms vacant that they need to discount the remaining rooms. Everyone booking way ahead hurts the chances of discounts. If you wait to book (as I am), then you have to be more flexible as to where you want to stay, room type, etc. I always have a list of my preferences in order ready when I call. If they don't have the Poly for me, I'll ask about the GF, then YC, etc...

kirbsam
01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Well said, Susy. We must remember they have discounts to fill rooms. If we all book at rack rates, hoping for discounts, no discounts.

swilphil
01-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I booked a room at the Contemporary with the BDP code. I just today saved an additional $200 by switching it to the AP rate. I wouldn't book at a rate unless I was willing to pay that amount. I would probably book at a less expensive resort and then upgrade when the AP discounts come out. If you book through Dreams Unlimited and let them know you have an AP, they will be on the look out for you.