PDA

View Full Version : Jetsgo Seat Sale

Tabetha
01-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Applies to flights from Toronto, but theoretically, if your dates magically match up with the flights they've put on sale, you could get a seat for $20.05 plus tax.

Meanwhile, the tax will put your flight price (wait for it...) SKY HIGH!

No thanks, we'll stick with our cheap flights from SoutWest!

chasbos
01-05-2005, 07:36 AM
My thoughts exactly Tabetha! We will be flying SWA for the first time, 2 weeks from tomorrow (oh I can't wait!!)

It just amazes me how JEtsGo and all these other Canadian airlines think they are offering "deals"!

SWA out of Buffalo is the way for my family from now on!

Amberle3
01-05-2005, 08:06 AM
The Canadian airlines have absolutely no control over the taxes. The only thing they can control is their own fares, so if they're offering a seat that would normally be $120 for $20, then that is a deal.

Not everyone in Canada is close enough to a city serviced by SWA to be able to fly them. That's great if you are, but in the meantime lots of the rest of us are stuck with the Canadian carriers.

chasbos
01-05-2005, 08:17 AM
You are correct - the taxes are what is killing the airlines in this country! We are very forunate to live within driving distance of Buffalo and Detroit - it saves us a lot on airfare.

Too bad it was not the same for everyone, to have the option not to fly out of Canada. These smaller, more economical airlines are trying but their hands are tied when it comes to the taxes!

I thought you would save on the taxes if you flew within Canada but they are still over $100 person. Wow!

mbb
01-05-2005, 08:39 AM
.......Not everyone in Canada is close enough to a city serviced by SWA to be able to fly them. That's great if you are, but in the meantime lots of the rest of us are stuck with the Canadian carriers.

*sigh*
Think they'll ever start a YHZ-MCO service???
;);)

:sunny:

Amberle3
01-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Westjet has apparently been trying to negotiate a partnership contract with Southwest for a couple of years now. If they can do that, then they can use some of Southwest's hubs as international connection points so that both Westjet and Southwest's coverage areas are greatly increased.

I'm not sure how likely it is to happen, or when it would happen, but one can keep hoping!

madonna31
01-12-2005, 10:36 AM
The Canadian airlines have absolutely no control over the taxes. The only thing they can control is their own fares, so if they're offering a seat that would normally be $120 for $20, then that is a deal.

Not everyone in Canada is close enough to a city serviced by SWA to be able to fly them. That's great if you are, but in the meantime lots of the rest of us are stuck with the Canadian carriers.

I couldn't of said that better myself! Thank you!! :worship:

Grumbo
01-13-2005, 11:59 AM
I do live within what would be considered "close enough" and I still prefer flying out of Toronto. The drive to Buffalo, leaving my vehicle over there, or paying for the limo, whereas I just use Park and Fly (to me there IS a difference) and the cattle drive mentality of worrying about getting seats together, or where I want them isn't worth it to me. I know to others it is but to each their own. :)

Cheers,
Grumbo

mom_rules
01-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Grumbo, tell me about Park n fly-this will be our first time having to use
them.
Does it take very long-should I allow for an hour to park and get to the airport? We will be doing the valet Park n fly on the Friday am of March break -what do you think?

Grumbo
01-13-2005, 12:37 PM
I use them all the while. Are you flying out of Toronto?
All TA's have the discount sheets and if not they are on the Park and Fly website.
I've used Valet, and although nice not worth the price imho. I go the cheapest of the three. Sure it is a 2 minute drive down the street but in the 4 times I've used it there is really no advantage (other than you car has been started up and is waiting for you at the depot). using Valet.
I have on occassion dropped off the family with the bags at the terminal and then dump the car so I have no luggage to lug onto a shuttle. Either way you're looking at 20 - 40 minutes in my experience depending on how quick the shuttle is.
Limo service is nice, but expensive if there are a number of people in your group.
The other option is a hotel on Dixon Rd. Done that and you can park for free and they supply the shuttle over to the airport. That is great if you have an early flight out..

Cheers,
Grumbo

chasbos
01-13-2005, 04:10 PM
We have had both a good and bad experience with park and fly. When we went to Europe we went for 12 days and it cost plenty (well over $100) but the shuttle bus picked us up in a reasonable amount of time. Last December we went to St. Maarten for a week and it was $60 or so for the parking but the pick up time has horrible. We stood outside in the freezing cold at 4:00 a.m. and had to wait for 5 busses to come before my family of 6 could get on. My kids were pushed to the ground by people rushing to get on first. I am sure we will use Park & Fly again when we fly out of Toronto but it has not always been a good experience.

Grumbo
01-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I use the Economy. As I mentioned Valet is too much. It is $29.95 a week. I also will just go alone and pick up the car if a situation like that exists and drive back so my family can stay inside, and not worrying about luggage.
Go to http://www.parknfly.ca/toronto_cust.html for their discounted fares.

Cheers,
Grumbo

mom_rules
01-14-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the great info! We usually use an airport hotel the night before and leave the car there for the 10/11 days but unfortunately, it won't work out this time. The one night room rates for a non-weekend stay are terrible over March break (cheapest was over $150 incl taxes). I understand that the Park n fly valet parking will also print your boarding passes for you (Air Canada)? Will this save time? and do they have a separate shuttle for the valet or do all the Park n Fly share a shuttle?

Grumbo
01-14-2005, 07:28 AM
They did something for us as we happened to be flying AC that one time I used Valet. However it was somewhat of a disappointment as it was after 911 and they used to take your luggage. It didn't save a heckuvalot of time for us but March Break "may" be different but you'll have lots of other people with the same idea :)
The last few times I've used it the shuttle for the two cheaper lots went to each others and then straight to the terminals. They used to go the valet, off load and then you'd transfer over to a second shuttle. That doesn't seem to be the case so from my observations it seems the economy and other cheapy one share shuttles and valet has its own. As I say that may be wrong but is what I've observed in my use. I figure for the price savings if I get there 20 minutes early its well worth it, and if you drop your crew off at the terminal along with the luggage first its a piece of cake with one person and no luggage. Hopefully it will be a simple transfer from the lot for you :)
Other 'nice' thing about valet in March is that you won't have to dig your car out and scrape it off if it has snowed while away. They do that for you. Make sure you have a cell phone so that you can call as soon as you get off the plane, then it will be warmed up for you :)

Cheers,
Grumbo
Thanks for the great info! We usually use an airport hotel the night before and leave the car there for the 10/11 days but unfortunately, it won't work out this time. The one night room rates for a non-weekend stay are terrible over March break (cheapest was over $150 incl taxes). I understand that the Park n fly valet parking will also print your boarding passes for you (Air Canada)? Will this save time? and do they have a separate shuttle for the valet or do all the Park n Fly share a shuttle?

mom_rules
01-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Sounds pretty good to me. Sorry for all the questions but do you have to call ahead and reserve or just show up?

Grumbo
01-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Not sure quite what you mean. You don't have to reserve for valet. Just show up and drop it off initially. For the pickup you have a number on your receipt and call the phone number and punch in that number and they will have it ready and waiting for you. If you meant something else sorry but will try and answer ;)

Cheers,
Grumbo

mom_rules
01-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks! That's exactly what I meant-didn't know whether we have to call ahead to reserve a spot.

mapletree
01-15-2005, 07:23 PM
mom_rules,

We've used Parknfly valet when flying out of YYZ about a dozen times. No problems to date.

You go through the valet gates. There are approx. 3 lanes where you pull up and park your car. Oftentimes you see no staff outside at car dropoff. The car key is left in the ignition. Your car is valet parked in the order it is left. You unload luggage and go inside building. They will ask for your car's description and licence#. Checkin for Parknfly is to the right of the doors. The Air Canada checkin is to the left of the doors. There are free TO newspapers between the two areas. Washrooms are also available. There is often no wait at the Air Canada counter. My husband handles the Parknfly checkin, while the kids and I do AC. The shuttles have always taken us direct to YYZ with very little wait.

We generally call the Parknfly# after landing, while awaiting the luggage. Finding the Parknfly shuttle pickup spot is sometimes tricky. This shuttle takes on all Parknfly clients, but usually drops valet off first. It can be crowded boarding this shuttle! Our car has been warmed/cooled, ready to go once off the shuttle. Load the car. Pay the bill inside the building (use CAA discount if you forget the coupons). Pickup the free local papers. They give you a special #s/barcode to exit the premises.

Hope that helps.

mom_rules
01-17-2005, 06:47 AM
Thank you so much for the info-one less thing to stress about!

dimoe
01-17-2005, 09:48 PM
THe travel agent said I got you cheap flights for 179.00 out of Hamilton. Then she says your total for the 3 of you is 1149.00..... wow taxes just kill you . I believe after all your posts that we will be flyilng out of Buffalo even if we have to take a hotel room the night before still so much cheaper.
Thank you to all of you for teaching me that swa is the way to go .
Diane

chasbos
01-18-2005, 07:14 AM
dimoe - We are heading to Buffalo on Thursday for a 7:00 a.m. Friday flight. We are staying at the Comfort Suites for $79 US (it is a suite because there are 6 of us) this includes our parking, shuttle to the airport and breakfast in the morning. This is really close IMO to what I would spend to park and fly and keep my kids entertained at Pearson! They sure like to shop in those shops at Terminal 3, it is the only thing to do while you wait in Toronto!

mom_rules
01-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Have an excellent time and a safe trip!

Can't wait to hear about your cruise!!