PDA

View Full Version : I saved over $450 with AAA on MYWpkg.

my3girls
01-04-2005, 03:59 PM
My agent finally got through to CRO today. Bless her heart she was on hold with them for 55 min. My quote from Disney for:
7 nights
Poly L.V.
MYW with park hopper and dining
2 adults
3 children- 13,9,8
Sept 3-10
$5108

My quote which I just booked from AAA is $4639.50
savings of: $468.50 :earseek:
That does not include insurance which I will add on for $89.90

Yeah!!!!

WDWBetsy
01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Did you have to pay in full or just the deposit?

Thanks for your help!

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 04:52 PM
my3girls,

I just finished mine with AAA as well for my May 27-June 4 solo trip

8 nights at Pop Century-Standard (first stay onsite)
7 day MYW, hopper and dining
$1278.85

Disney's site had it as 1458.25 so I saved $179.40.

So if you add my airfare on that I got for 195.95 out of Chicago, my total vacation cost is $1474.80. I say that is a great price for everything being taken care of.

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
WDWBetsy,

Only a $200 deposit, plus the $25 fee for doing the reservation through AAA.

Mom of Sleepy, Bashful and BabyDoc
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Does the AAA package include dining?? I'm assuming yes.

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Mom,

Mine did. You can either have it added on or not. I did this time to try it out and see if I like it.

my3girls
01-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I only have to pay a $200 deposit. I have 14 days to do it in. My agent did not mention anything about a $25 fee. It might already be added in. It took a lot of phone calls, but I'm satisfied.

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 05:46 PM
my3girls,

I agree. It's so nice that it is finally done. Now I just have to wait 4 months until I go.

drumflower
01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
My AAA agent got me a rate of 1782.67 for POFQ , basic admission ticket ( no extras), dinning plan for 2 adults, 2 kids for Feb 4 for 6 nights. There is also a $25.00 fee. The quote I got from Disney is $2189.00 . So I save $271.22 including AAA fee! It is almost like I got my orginal room discount ! Love it!

By the way, last year, 2 days after I first joined AAA, my minivan had a flat in our driveway. We could not figure out how to get that spare off so we couldn't change it. We called them and they even fixed our tire for 10 bucks and showed us how to get the spare off the van! lol :rolleyes: ( we didn't have the book that comes with the van) I have saved a lot of money also on other trips, got trip ticks, maps, hotel and attraction books. Just love it! :flower1:

WDWBetsy
01-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Okay - I finally got a quote. UNFORTUNATELY - I know more about the MYW packages than my AAA travel agent. She had Disney on the phone going back between the two of us, and kept quoting me higher prices than I can book on the Disney website. It is crazy! First she started out with $1848.88, then $1750.98, then finally down to $1,634 (plus a $25 AAA booking fee). I can book it online for $1576.12.

She said it was a discounted AAA room rate (POP Century) with the Magic Your Way 7 day tickets (with hopper) and dining. I had to keep repeating that I wanted the $35/day per person dining plan, not some $279 per person thing.

This quote was for 7 nights, Nov. 27-Dec. 4, 2005.

Something is not right with the quote they gave me. I can see NO discount off the room rate.

The poor AAA agent obviously didn't know what to ask for when she was communicating everything to the Disney rep. I think it's pretty sad that I know more about what I should be paying. She said maybe something was showing the rate as lower on the Disney website, so I should grab it while I could. Whatever!

I am just going to book it myself and have full control over my trip. I'm a control freak anyway, so it's probably better to do it my way!

Disney_Queen34
01-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Wow, that savings is good enough to join AAA for!!! I might have to consider doing that!

Nanu57v
01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
It could've changed, but I thought the booking fee was only if you weren't a member.

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 07:11 PM
WDWBetsy

I had the same problem with no discount on the room rate and asked for it to be recalculated. AAA found out that Disney had not put in the AAA discounts in the system for the packages. I don't know when you made the reservation, but it probably wouldn't hurt for you to ask for them to recheck.

What I would do is sit down and figure out what the price should be.

The room price for Pop Century during that time with the 20% off should be $480.83 ($68.69 a night for 7 nights). Then you need to figure the ticket price and the food and that should give you a close price to what AAA's amount should be.

drumflower
01-04-2005, 07:13 PM
I am a AAA member and it is $25 fee for a family to book a package and airline tickets.

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 07:16 PM
I thought it was $25 for a vacation reservation and $35 for air reservations.

WDWBetsy
01-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Okay - this is pretty funny. All of our local offices are already closed, so I started thinking - hey California's 3 hours behind us (Indiana), so I'll call a AAA agency there.

I spoke with a wonderful agent named Patrice who was very helpful (and knowledgeable). She called Disney for me and had me on hold while she investigated. The first quote back was exactly what I could book it for online $1576.12. I explained that Disney must not have the discount calculated, so she is going to check on this for me in the morning. I told her what I was expecting the final cost to be $1445.79, plus the $25 fee.

I guess the Disney rep said the rate kept changing when he was trying to get the quote, so obviously something's still not fixed on the programming end at Disney. My husband's a programmer, so when I told him this, he rolled his eyes.

So... I'm going to hold off on booking it myself and see if this California travel agent can come through for me for the AAA discount! Keeping my fingers crossed!

my3girls
01-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I had to walk my agent through the whole process. She just wasn't familiar enough with the new package. She was telling me I could get the dining portion with a room only reservation. I could, but not for the same price I get it with MYW. She didn't realize that. Advice: make sure you tell them exactly what you want when you call, and be persistant if they come back with a quote you don't agree with. I had broken the package apart and priced out everything, so I was pretty sure what the package through AAA should cost. I stayed on the other line while she contacted Disney. Let them know you know what you're talking about!!! :teleport: :teleport: :teleport:

drumflower
01-04-2005, 07:54 PM
It could $35 now, it was last year when I was quoted $25.00 :guilty:

WDWBetsy
01-04-2005, 07:59 PM
I had to walk my agent through the whole process. She just wasn't familiar enough with the new package. She was telling me I could get the dining portion with a room only reservation. I could, but not for the same price I get it with MYW. She didn't realize that. Advice: make sure you tell them exactly what you want when you call, and be persistant if they come back with a quote you don't agree with. I had broken the package apart and priced out everything, so I was pretty sure what the package through AAA should cost. I stayed on the other line while she contacted Disney. Let them know you know what you're talking about!!! :teleport: :teleport: :teleport:

Thanks for the advice. I broke down the costs of what I should be paying and told the agent. So hopefully I'll book something tomorrow. The bargain hunter in me just can't let a 20% room discount float away...

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 08:00 PM
my3girls,

I found that out as well. At one point I was showing the TA, what I had clicked on and she seemed to pick it up well. She did admit today that they really aren't up to date with the new packages, but the more people who book them the more practice they get. I guess it is a good thing that I was able to get on Sunday for the hour or so I could so I knew exactly what I was looking at. If I hadn't been able to, I probably would still be trying to figure it out.

Leslie32
01-04-2005, 08:01 PM
UGH My AAA agent called me at 3:00pm and said that the computers were still down. So I don't know when she will call me. Heck I don't even know if I can get the room I want the longer it takes. How do you know what to calculate to know what the AAA quote should be close to.

We are going July 11-17th
2 adults
3 children 2 yrs, 7 yrs, 9 yrs

We want the MYW pkg with hopper and dining. We want the Lagoon view concierge room at Poly. I am new to AAA can someone help me try to calculate so I know what the AAA quote should be close to? Also should I get trip insurance in case of a hurricane or something, is it really worth it?

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
WDWBetsy,

I don't blame you $150-$200 or whatever the savings will be isn't anything to sneeze at. That savings could cover airfare or whatever.

MagicKingdom05
01-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Leslie32,

Take the rack rate per night for when you are going, add the tax then take the percentage off and that is what each night would cost. Also I included a link for what the AAA % is at each season.

Here is a link with the rack rates and a link of the seasons

http://www.mousesavers.com/roomrates2005.html

http://www.mousesavers.com/seasondates2005.html

http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyresorts.html#AAA

Also here is a link to figure out the MYW passes:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/tickets/ticketStore?id=TicketStorePage&numAdults=1&numChildren=0&country=USA&stateProvince=IL&numDays=1

Just change the number of people, put in the cart and that will give you the total price of the tickets.

drumflower
01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
When I called my AAA agent to book the rate she gave me, she said that Disney would not honor the rate they gave her last night! She said that kept on insisting that she asked for something wrong! She even had the name of the person she talked to and it didn't help. They tried every figuration possiable and still could not figure how she got the price that was quoted to her! She was on the phone with Disney for over an hour and she insisted that they give her a better price than what is Disney's normal price. She did a little better, but only saved maybe $150.00. But that is not the almost 400 savings I thought I was going to get! So I don't know what to do, I have to give my agent an answer tonight, there is a 24 hour hold on it. :earseek: :earseek:

Liz
01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
That is so frustrating. I can see why you are upset. I got a quote on a package that was about $700 cheaper than what I figured it should be (this was through CRO). But I didn't book it at the time (not realizing it was a huge savings until I was off the phone) and when I called back no one could figure out how I was quoted the lower amount. What are you going to do?

drumflower
01-05-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't know yet, but I have been checking offsite hotels right now! lol Maybe book less days at Disney and transfer them to Universal! :guilty:

golfgal
01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Well, this explains why my AAA quote wasn't really a discount. One thing that happened with my AAA quote was that they added transfers and insurance to the quote that wasn't in the other quotes I have gotten. Since we are going in May/June, our transfers should be "free" with the new service, so I won't pay for that (we are going to rent a car anyway). I think I will give it a couple weeks and call back. Hopefully Disney will have the bugs out of their system.

DH's company had a huge computer conversion a year ago and I tell you, I feel for everyone at Disney because even after 2 years of building the system and a year of "testing" the system at DH's office, real life applications still showed bugs. It takes time.