PDA

View Full Version : WL v. Old Key West

3Mousketeers
01-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Help! Which would you choose for 2 adults and 3 kids (6,5 & 1) - We narrowed it down to the 2 best AP rates we could find -
(1) 2 rooms at WL - I felt 1 room would be tight for our family though I know people do it.
(2) 1 BR villa at Old Key West.
They come out to the same cost with the AP rate.
From my research, I know the resorts are completely different but I've never been to either. I'm just trying to figure out which would have the better layout and better allure for the boys (6 & 5).
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

spiceycat
01-04-2005, 01:45 PM
you would love OKW - your sons however would probably rather be closer to the MK - so I vote WL.

how much was the 1-bedroom at VWL?

the rooms are much, much larger at OKW - hands down - it wins.

however I think with your sons ages you will be spending the majority of your time at the MK - so the boat to the MK is the big draw at WL. Also the bunk beds - kids love these things - WL has them.

Now if you think they will be happy at any of the parks - then I would go with OKW - nothing makes me happier than having enough space to spread out.

You could also price OKW 1-bedroom or even better 2-bedroom using DVC points and get a DVC member to rent you a reservation. then you might find the price of VWL 1-bedroom is around the same as a 2-bedroom at OKW.

pumpkinboy
01-04-2005, 01:48 PM
WL will have a bit more appeal to your kids, but you'll all be more comfortable at OKW. Actually OKW might come out the winner on both once you mention the huge new waterslide (sandcastle theme) they are about to open at OKW. But really, WL is cool, with all sorts of fun stuff for kids that age to do. OKW also has great kids activities, but it's hard to beat the theming at WL.

As for your comfort, even with two rooms at WL, you'll have more space in the OKW 1BR. I kid you not; the 1BR units at OKW have >1000 sq ft of floor area, plus a full kitchen, plus in unit laundry (so you can pack less ;)), plus a jacuzzi tub. It's a great layout for a family your size. You and spouse stay in the master bedroom, perhaps with the pack&play (perhaps not) while the young 'uns take the pull out in the living room area. Each room has its own TV, with either VCR or DVD (I think they may have converted them all to DVD).

Overall, I think you'll all be more comfortable at OKW and that will have an impact on the overall family enjoyment of the vacation. Just tell them about the sandcastle waterslide and they'll be sold.

Good luck with the decision process!

3Mousketeers
01-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Wow thanks for your fast input! You guys are great.
Spiceycat - there was no availability for the Villas at WL for our stay. And, thanks for the info about renting but I'm not sure I have enough time for that for our February stay (I will look into though).
A couple other concerns - (1) the new pool at OKW looks awesome but I'm reading on other threads that it may still be closed by the 1st week of feb (our trip) (one strike against OKW) (2) But, I asked about bunkbeds at WL (which the boys would LOVE) and Disney told me they're not guaranteed (knowing my luck this means -no way!) so one strike against WL.
I'm sure I won't go wrong either way - just have to weigh everything!!

spiceycat
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
I think that at least some of the bunk beds at WL are in the connecting rooms - so your chances are pretty high.

give me your dates and I will call for you - I can't rent points to you - but I am pretty certain someone on the Dis rental/trade board will be happy too.

want me to check both OKW and VWL? or just oKW for a 1 or 2 bedroom?

3Mousketeers
01-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Thank you so much Spiceycat!
Our dates are 2/9-2/13. We have flights booked already so our dates are set (by the way - $49 ea/way on Southwest!!). FYI - the rates we have so far are $140 per room (2 rooms) at WL and $260 for 1 BR OKW (annual passholder rate). If it still makes sense to check out renting at either resort that would be great.
If we do wind up at WL, it makes me feel much better to know we have good chance at bunk beds!!

spiceycat
01-04-2005, 02:17 PM
stick with the annual pass rate - the weekends (Fri/sat) are very, very expensive using DVC points - you are better off with the WDW annual pass rate.

3Mousketeers
01-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks Spiceycat. All your info will definitely help with my decision.
If anyone else out there knows the status of the OKW pool - that would be great to know. Is there a better place here for me to look for that? Can you tell I'm a newbie???

spiceycat
01-04-2005, 03:41 PM
the pool is surpose to be finished in January.

Yes over on the DVC board - OKW is a DVC resort - Disney Vacation Club - disney's version of a timeshare program.

You will be shown pictures....

Mom of Sleepy, Bashful and BabyDoc
01-04-2005, 03:47 PM
As much as I love WL, if the pool is open I would go for OKW. There's nothing like space, kitchen and washer/dryer. Oh, and can't forget that jacuzzi!!! LOL :D

DisFlan
01-04-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm with the OKW people, even if the main pool isn't ready.

Your $260 for a 1 bd. is a great rate! It's usually a LOT more. More like closer to $400 or $500, depending on season.

You won't appreciate all the differences from a regular Disney room until you stay there. Especially with a group. The units are huge. Seven of us rattled around in a 2 bedroom unit last spring and had room and storage to spare. And you won't believe how great those full-size washers and dryers are (bring your own soap). We only need about 1/3 of the clothes we'd normally take on vacation.

The split bathroom in a 1 bd. is handy, too. Different people can be using both areas at the same time. The jacuzzi and a sink are in one room and the toilet, shower and a sink are in the second room, separated by a door.

The 1 & 2 bd. units have a full kitchen - full size stove, D/W, fridge, microwave, and everything else you'd need. Breakfast at the dining table is nice and a big time saver. (And no need to eat on the beds.) All it takes is a box of cereal, some juice and some milk - which are all available at the resort for a lot less than paying at a restaurant. The kids don't start out hungry and cranky when they get to a park. They arrive ready to go. Popcorn from the m/w while watching a DVD in the evening is nice, too.

As far as getting to the parks, OKW has several bus stops and the ride to the parks is a direct trip. No stops elsewhere. Getting back is just as easy. We almost always take the bus rather than driving - we've never had a problem. And you can take a boat from OKW to DTD.

After a "commando" day at the parks, we really enjoy coming back to the villa, chilling out and watching a sunset from the large balcony, which has a table, chairs - and a ceiling fan! :love:

Enjoy, no matter which you choose!

DisFlan

rcraw45425
01-04-2005, 06:18 PM
3 Mouseketeers, did you look into the Contemporary? They sleep 4 in two queens and have a daybed, you could probably get by with one room. Don't know about availability for that weekend. We wound up at the Swan for $159 through the special that Dreams Unlimited is running for DIS'ers

3Mousketeers
01-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I have to thank all you guys for your great advice. Don't yell at me but we're winding up at the AKL. I got in touch with Sue Ellen at Dreams Unlimited (per advice from you great Dis'ers) and she somehow got through the phone lines today and got us a great AP rate at AKL. My kids are animal lovers and this was their original first choice but when I called Disney they told me there was no availability (hence my dilemma b/w OKW and WL). I'm going with the kids on this one but I think both other resorts sound great to check out for the future. My vote is for OKW, my DH WL and my kids AKL. Surprise - the kids win this time!!
Thanks again. Will definitely post when we return!!

Harambe
01-05-2005, 12:00 PM
We are going to OKW for the first time in August. I know we will like the extra room, the new pool, the washer/dryer (we only do carry-ons, and with the August heat we'll need to do lots of laundry!), and breakfast in the room, but I was concerned about the bus system. Sounds like the buses are fine! I was hoping that they would at least be as good as AKL, and with no other stops at other resorts, it looks like we'll be fine.

Thanks a million!