PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for helping me choose a resort?

tmfranlk
01-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey everyone! I am hoping to make my resort reservation after all of the MYW hubbub settles down, but I can't decide what to do.

Quick background: Me (wdw veteran 12 trips), DD (almost 3 at the time, 1 trip at 15 months), DH (virtual newbie). DH is a very anti-travelling, anti-Disney hubby who recently shocked me with his desire to join us on our December trip. Now I KNOW DH would LOVE WL, but that is most certainly out of our budget for the whole trip. He loves the peacefulness of the woods, longs to return to England and wants to visit France sometime. He was raised in a very social conscious, nice restaurant eating family (e.g. his sister's family stays at Boardwalk when they visit), but is not comfortable in that lifestyle. He also says that I should plan everything to DD and my liking and he will just tag along, but I would also like to do things for him too.

I know DD would love AsMovies and would be in heaven in the Toy Story rooms. I personally, love ASMovies and Pop Century. I've always had a personal issue for paying more for the other resorts when the values are so much fun and economical.

I am considering a moderate because of the fridge because then DH could keep some food on hand since he eats constantly! :) On the other hand, I wasn't that impressed with the Alligator Bayou section of PO-R for the extra cost over ASMo.

One last thing....would you recommend a resort change for someone who doesn't like to travel very much? I am contemplating a night or two at WL, if I can justify the cost, because I think DH would like it so much. However, I'm not sure if that would be too much for him or if the deluxness (like my word?) would make him uncomfortable. I am also contemplating AKL savannah view for a night or two.

Any thoughts that you have would be greatly appreciated whether online or via private email. I soooo want to convert DH, even just a little bit, so that he will be willing to return in the future.

Thanks!!!

goofy4tink
01-03-2005, 02:18 PM
There is hope for your dh!!! Mine never got it and has since actually told me to buy DVC. He's been 3 times now and his only request is that I don't ask him to go more than once a year. Yep, I can live with that. So....

Depending on how long you are staying, I would spend most of the stay at Movies and then move over to WL for the last 2-3 nights. It is just beautiful at Christmas time. If you don't really feel like moving then just stay put at Movies. I'm another person that has no problem whatsoever with the value resorts. I would be sure to book one nice meal for your dh each day tho. And you can get a fridge at the values. At least I think you can. It is probably an addt'l $10 a day.

You say you weren't too crazy about AB at POR. Have you thought about the Mansion section? They are much more formal and I think, much nicer than AB. I have stayed in both areas but prefer the Mansion area. But there are those who feel the extra money isn't worth it for a moderate. Either stay value or go deluxe.

Sometimes you can get a great rate at WL. You could actually pay the same as you would have paid for a moderate. I don't think that WL is so 'deluxy' feeling as the other resorts. It just doesn't give me that same feeling. I would give it a shot.

Dopey420
01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Your DH would not feel uncomfortable at Coronado Springs. It also has the most frequent bus service.

domestic goddess
01-03-2005, 02:38 PM
We liked CS and CB for moderates. And we love WL!! Your DH would love it and it is not too stuff or deluxe feeling. It is really nice in the winter to sit by the fire and it is very cozy and warm feeling.

As for switching resorts, we did it twice this last trip. We decided that if we switch again we will only do it once in a trip. You lose a day each time by packing up, moving, checking in, waiting for room to be ready and moving into new room. Of course, we just swam and explored the new resort while waiting for our new room. Make sure to leave some time to just relax and enjoy the resort.

Have fun and enjoy WDW at Christmastime. It is wonderful!!

Tigger&Belle
01-03-2005, 03:40 PM
My first thought is to either not stay at WL or stay there at least 2 nights. One night would make it too hectic and you wouldn't have enough time to enjoy the resort. Better to just visit it and eat there, as opposed to going through the hassle of moving resorts.

I've only stayed at Pop for a value resort and I liked it enough that I've returning for a couple nights later this month. I'm staying for 3 nights at POFQ, which is the one remaining moderate left for me to try. I've also stayed at AKL, WL, Poly, CR, and the Swan. I think that one big advantage to the more expensive properties is the pool. Since you're going in December that might not matter much to you.

How many nights are you planning? I would probably spilt between Pop and WL if I were you.

T&B

tmfranlk
01-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. We will probably stay for 7 nights. I am guessing that we probably won't resort hop because the extra cost of those two Deluxe nights unless we get a really good rate. DH is so money conscious that I think the extra expense would be outweigh his enjoyment of the WL.

Dopey420 - could you highlight what you like so much about Coronodo? I've never really heard much about it. Thanks!