PDA

View Full Version : Early flight arrival. What to do before check-in...

lap3
01-03-2005, 12:34 PM
've been searching for airfares for our trip and the most economical flight arrives at 6:00 AM! I don't have a problem with it and I don't think my family(DW, DS6, DD3) will either. I know we can visit the parks but that can get tiring really quickly especially after a 5-hour flight. We're staying at POFQ.

This begs the question...will they allow us to lounge around the hotel or possibly do a really early check-in. Anyone have luck doing either? Any comments and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Laugh O. Grams
01-03-2005, 12:46 PM
We have always had luck with early check in, but the earliest ever was approx 8am. They'll sometimes scold you alittle "Welll, checkin is SUPPOSED to be at 3...but I'll see what we have". If you going during a value season, there's a pretty good chance they'll have a room for you.

lap3
01-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we're going during my DS's Spring Break. So, this would be considered Peak Season? I realize that if I ask them about an early check-in, they'll come back with a sarcastic response. I'm prepared for this as I know their guidelines. I just didn't know if they allow that sort of thing.

my3kids
01-03-2005, 12:54 PM
We went to the check in desk expecting to just get our ID's for early entry (this was prior to 6 am!) Low and behold we got into the room right then and there. Wonderful surprise!

MrsJ Henry
01-03-2005, 12:55 PM
We checked in early (8) at AKL and YC and neither one had any problem with it. We also got our rooms in both.Can't hurt to try :D

stinkerbelle
01-03-2005, 12:57 PM
We have checked in early and have our room NOT be ready.

No prob - we got our park tickets, left our luggage with bell services, and went to the park.

After 3 we got our room numbers, went to our room, and had our luggage delivered. No big deal at all!

lap3
01-03-2005, 01:04 PM
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing your experiences. With any luck, I'll be able to check in early...

goofy4tink
01-03-2005, 01:10 PM
We always arrive way before the 'official' check-in time!! We try to pack so that we can grab more suitable clothing and change right away. Or just pack a carry-on with that stuff. Check-in, change your clothes, leave your baggage with bell services and head off to a park or use the pool. With the exception of our stays at BWVs, we have always been able to get into a room much earlier than the official time.

cvemom
01-03-2005, 01:33 PM
They'll let you check your luggage (if there isn't a room already available)then...change to your bathing suits and relax by the pool until your room is ready. This is the best way to rest up for your coming days at the parks.Have fun.

lap3
01-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks! After a long flight, we might end up sleeping by the pool! :earseek:

Kenswing
01-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks! After a long flight, we might end up sleeping by the pool! :earseek:

Are you flying from Seattle?
We're in the same boat (So to speak). We'll be on the "Red Eye", leaving Seattle at 10:10pm and arriving in Orlando at 6:30am. We're not going until December, so let me know what you end up doing...
Ken

lap3
01-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Are you flying from Seattle?
We're in the same boat (So to speak). We'll be on the "Red Eye", leaving Seattle at 10:10pm and arriving in Orlando at 6:30am. We're not going until December, so let me know what you end up doing...
Ken
Actually, we're flying from Los Angeles. After speaking with my DW, she says we should do the red eye flight. It's cheaper, direct, and it allows more time for our vacation. We may be zombies at the parks but it'll be all worth it...I hope!

Castillo Mom
01-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Don't know if you've purchased your airfare yet, but you might want to consider flying out the day before. We're from Southern CA and went to WDW this past August. Our original plan was to fly out the day before with Song which was a direct flight arriving in Orlando at around 6:00 p.m. We were to transfer to the Embassy Suites Orlando Airport via their complimentary shuttle, spend the night and then transfer to our Disney resort the following morning so that we could start off fresh and rested. Unfortunately due to a hurricane, our flight was cancelled and we ended up on a red eye. All of us were way to hyper to sleep on the plane. Because we had lost a day, we went straight to the parks upon arriving at our resort. Let me tell you, as excited as we were to finally be there, we were still exhausted by noon and the kids were cranky. Our experience only confirmed the idea of arriving a day ahead. You should be able to find cheap lodging adjacent to the airport. Just something to keep in mind.

lap3
01-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Don't know if you've purchased your airfare yet, but you might want to consider flying out the day before. We're from Southern CA and went to WDW this past August. Our original plan was to fly out the day before with Song which was a direct flight arriving in Orlando at around 6:00 p.m. We were to transfer to the Embassy Suites Orlando Airport via their complimentary shuttle, spend the night and then transfer to our Disney resort the following morning so that we could start off fresh and rested. Unfortunately due to a hurricane, our flight was cancelled and we ended up on a red eye. All of us were way to hyper to sleep on the plane. Because we had lost a day, we went straight to the parks upon arriving at our resort. Let me tell you, as excited as we were to finally be there, we were still exhausted by noon and the kids were cranky. Our experience only confirmed the idea of arriving a day ahead. You should be able to find cheap lodging adjacent to the airport. Just something to keep in mind.
I haven't bought the airline tickets yet because I'm still waiting to see if the fares will change or if the ILs will change their mind. BTW, I live in Simi Valley which is about 30 minutes north of LA so I would be flying out of LAX as well. If we decide to take the red eye, we may just use the day we land as a relax-type of day. No parks or stress...just to unwind. BTW, how old are your kids? Mine, at the time of travel, will be DS6 and DD4. I have a feeling they'll be cranky by afternoon at the parks as well.

Castillo Mom
01-03-2005, 05:29 PM
I haven't bought the airline tickets yet because I'm still waiting to see if the fares will change or if the ILs will change their mind. BTW, I live in Simi Valley which is about 30 minutes north of LA so I would be flying out of LAX as well. If we decide to take the red eye, we may just use the day we land as a relax-type of day. No parks or stress...just to unwind. BTW, how old are your kids? Mine, at the time of travel, will be DS6 and DD4. I have a feeling they'll be cranky by afternoon at the parks as well.

My boys are 11, 13 and 15. My middle one was the crankiest of the 3. I live in Downey and we flew out of LAX. I was fortunate to get a direct flight since we booked early. We booked with Song flying out at around 10:30 a.m. but ended up on a Delta red eye.

As long as you take it easy your first day you should be ok. Either way, you'll be thrilled just to be there. Have a great time!

lap3
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
My boys are 11, 13 and 15. My middle one was the crankiest of the 3. I live in Downey and we flew out of LAX. I was fortunate to get a direct flight since we booked early. We booked with Song flying out at around 10:30 a.m. but ended up on a Delta red eye.

As long as you take it easy your first day you should be ok. Either way, you'll be thrilled just to be there. Have a great time!
Thanks for the info. We are already thrilled that we will be there soon but my kids are even more excited. I've never heard of Song Airlines. I'll have to look into this. Hopefully the rates will be cheaper than what I've been quoted.

nygrl
01-03-2005, 05:51 PM
song air is great if you have kids it is kind of like jetblue but better. they have tvs on every seat but unlike jet blue you can also buy movies and play games with the other passengers, another nice feature is you can buy food(real food) if i was you i would check it out they are known to have really good prices they are a part of delta airlines .

Castillo Mom
01-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info. We are already thrilled that we will be there soon but my kids are even more excited. I've never heard of Song Airlines. I'll have to look into this. Hopefully the rates will be cheaper than what I've been quoted.

Song is run by Delta. We were able to fly with them on our return trip. They were great! Loved the satellite TV, it made the time go by a lot quicker and my boys liked being able to watch Cartoon Network, their favorite channel.

chamonix
01-03-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree plan a pool day, you can sleep there, lol. One question though: Does your flight land at 6am, or is your ETA at your resort 6am?

We have arrived early (around 8-9am) and always got our room right away (without scolding thankfully). To be honest, if I was arriving at the hotel before 6am I would book a room for that previous night--the one that is actually coming to a close with that sunrise. If you want to be sure to have a room to sleep, that is your only totally secure option. OTOH, you may have no trouble at all either getting your room early or staying up and having fun all day. But--you just can't know. Crunch the numbers--cheap flight or extra night--or take your chances really...and hey! taking your chances may work out fine, and be fun, who knows? ;)

doodlebug
03-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Glad I found this thread.. We are leaving Seattle at 10:30pm in April and arriving at 6:30am so I was hoping that maybe they might let us check in when we get to the resort around 8 or 8:30 (plan on maybe stopping at a store before the resort).. Hope to get into a room and maybe just relax at our hotel for most of the morning/afternoon and then do something fun in the evening but maybe not go into the parks until the next day!!

mill4023
03-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Anybody have any luck with offsite hotels allowing early check-in?
The first half of our trip will be at the Fairfield Marriott Village with the second half at POR. We arrive in Orlando at 9:30 am after 6 hours of flying.