PDA

View Full Version : So, the CR's gettin' a make-over!

Kimberle
01-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Bet lot's of Disers are doing the "happy dance" about now!

(From the Dis newsletter)

Luv2Roam
01-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I think it is way past time from what I have read and heard. I don't think it fits the Deluxe criteria any longer. It's an old resort that needs a makeover.

JayCT
01-03-2005, 01:26 PM
We were there in May and were disappointed. The place does need a some work to bring it in line with other deluxe Disney resorts. It sound like they will be doing some of the things that seemed to be needed. The pool was a big complaint of mine. It is simply a large slab of concrete with little or no shade. Also, the Food Center is way too small. I think moving it to the Concourse is a good idea. They need to fill up the north end of this level (by the retail stores) which seems to be empty, while the southern end, with Chef Mickeys and the Steak house seems over crowded. Let just hope they don't put the Fun Center out in the open in the concourse. Can you imagine the noise those games make echoing through the Grand Concourse? We will see how well they theme the place. I just hope it doesn't look too much like every other boring business hotel. Jay

Luv2trav
01-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Where are you finding this information?

sotoalf
01-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Also, the Food Center is way too small. I think moving it to the Concourse is a good idea. They need to fill up the north end of this level (by the retail stores) which seems to be empty, while the southern end, with Chef Mickeys and the Steak house seems over crowded.

I couldn't agree more. It's been like this since the hotel opened. On one hand, I like the wide open concourse (which you don't see in too many hotels these days), but the north end is a bit, shall we say, top-heavy.

Where'd you read this information?

Deborah_Mary
01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
What great news this is. Our family thoroughly enjoys CR, but it is seriously in need of a face-lift. I would love to read the article, could you post the link??

Thanks for sharing!

Deb*

Kimberle
01-03-2005, 02:32 PM
It's the DIS newsletter.

http://www.disboards.com/announcement.php?f=12

Just look at the top of the brd! :3dglasses

Deborah_Mary
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I found it!! Appreciate you pointing it out. :)

Deb*

swilphil
01-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Does anyone have any ideas when this is taking place? We are booked in March. I'm hoping it will wait until April or May.

Luv2Roam
01-03-2005, 02:52 PM
There have been ongoing rumors for some time to raze the surrounding buildings and build a DVC resort(s). Wonder if that is in the soon to pass long range revitalization plan.

Laugh O. Grams
01-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Makes sense that the renovations would gear it more toward the convention crowds, with the huge convention center connected. IMO, if the rumors are true, the Concourse Steakhouse will be a welcome removal from the hotel. The food has never impressed me all that much anyway.
Could this be Mike Eisner's final resort aimed swansong in connection with the "Happiest Celebration on Earth Celebration" before he steps down?

CaliforniaDreaming
01-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Woohoo, can't wait! Very anxious to see what the public areas & rooms look like. :) Wonder if the DVC @ CR will be announced anytime soon? I'm ready to buy if it is! ;)

helenk
01-03-2005, 03:08 PM
I wonder when this is planned to take place. I was thinking of staying there this coming December and would love to stay in a Tower room. The article does not mention any dates.

Luckymommyx2
01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm very excited to hear this! I've always wanted to stay there but with the numerous not-so-glowing reports I've stayed away. Now I can put it back on my to-stay list!! :cool1:

rockomomma
01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
woo hoo.... sign me up to buy at DVC at CR!!!!

johnsonet
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm happy to read this! What an absolutely amazing piece of real estate!! The building should be brought up to match that!

erinz
01-03-2005, 03:57 PM
If anyone hears when the renovation will take place, could you let us know? I'm going to be there next December, but might change the resort if there will be construction going on on the 4th floor.

I'm getting worried! :guilty:

mariamouse
01-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Awesomee!! :hyper:

mariamouse

Chip 'n Dale Express
01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Makes sense that the renovations would gear it more toward the convention crowds, with the huge convention center connected. IMO, if the rumors are true, the Concourse Steakhouse will be a welcome removal from the hotel. The food has never impressed me all that much anyway.

Really? I LOVE the Concourse Steakhouse. I've had some of the best steaks ever there. Not to mention I love watching the Monorails zoom by as I eat. :) The only thing that detracts from it, are the screaming kids from next door. (Not that I don't like Chef Mickey's, but it overpowers the Concourse Steakhouse)

Cass
01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
The CR definately needs some upgrading, updating & rennovation. I remember seeing it when I was a child with my parents and thinking "wow I want to stay here one day"

Then as an adult going in there and thinking it was atrocious..and you couldn't pay me to stay there. I would love for it to be upgraded and rennovated... I would put it back on my list to try :D

The pool area is a bit stark isn't it? I was thinking there are no trees/shade - I thought maybe the hurricane affected it.

nygrl
01-03-2005, 06:17 PM
when we were at the cr in oct we were told that a 5 year renovatiuon was happening glad to hear itwill be happening quicker. the cm we spoke to said she had seen one of the new rooms already and it was spectacular!!

robinb
01-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Woohoo, can't wait! Very anxious to see what the public areas & rooms look like. :) Wonder if the DVC @ CR will be announced anytime soon? I'm ready to buy if it is! ;)

I'm ready to buy at pre-sale! I told my DH that we would be selling one of our other DVC contracts and buying at CR if it ever comes through. :cloud9:

Rafikifan
01-03-2005, 06:42 PM
I think it is wonderful that they are rehabbing the CR. The location is wonderful but I don't care for the room decor they have now and even the outside is looking a little worn. Of course we are all paying for the renovations with the MYW packages. Just joking (kind of ;-)

Laugh O. Grams
01-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Really? I LOVE the Concourse Steakhouse. I've had some of the best steaks ever there. Not to mention I love watching the Monorails zoom by as I eat. :) The only thing that detracts from it, are the screaming kids from next door. (Not that I don't like Chef Mickey's, but it overpowers the Concourse Steakhouse)

Oh, the monorails and the location I love! My problem with it is the steaks are never done the way I would like, and the onion soup and creamed spinach are underseasoned, IMO. Hopefully if they put it downstairs, they work on the menu a bit more and put a truly fantastic restaurant in it's place on the concourse level.

SuzEm
01-03-2005, 07:18 PM
when we were at the cr in oct we were told that a 5 year renovatiuon was happening glad to hear itwill be happening quicker. the cm we spoke to said she had seen one of the new rooms already and it was spectacular!!

So maybe that Disney commercial showing that room with a view to the castle really does exist and it's one of the newly renovated rooms!!!

nygrl
01-03-2005, 07:23 PM
wow suzEm that could be a whole new thread lol. you never know it just might be. i guess we will all have to wait and see

TigrLvsPooh
01-03-2005, 08:11 PM
I think this is great news!!!! :cloud9: The CR has the best location and if they add a DVC resort there then I would definitely consider buying in... finally. ;)

dpic
01-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Renovation of the CR--is this the first thread on the DIS where everyone is in agreement?

Kimberle
01-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Renovation of the CR--is this the first thread on the DIS where everyone is in agreement?

*LOL* I love the CR & am glad it's getting "spiffed up"! I know lots of folks love the location of the CR but don't care for the decore.

We'll see after the make-over if we're all still agreeing. :earboy2:

jillhou
01-04-2005, 02:31 PM
We loved the CR when we stayed there and would not hesitate to stay there again. Sure - if they want to buy new fixtures and bedding colors, etc - great - no problem here. I cannot imagine they would gut it to make a DVC resort. With the convention center right there - it really makes no sense to turn it into a DVC place.

The Poly is always our fave - but we loved the CR the one time we stayed there!

kytiam
01-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Am I the only one who likes the current decor at the CR? I agree that some parts need a little sprucing up, but I have a hard time understanding all the negative things I have read. We just stayed there the week before Christmas and LOVED it. The article says that it will be a more business-like focus and that seems kind of sad to me. Being able to watch the castle change colors and watch the fireworks from my room was so....so...Disney! I can't imagine wasting that view on a bunch of businessmen who are preoccupied with their laptops and seminars. Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes. I've never done the business trip thing, so I may be way off. I just hope the made-over CR will be as fun and family-friendly as it is now.

jeancbpugh
01-04-2005, 02:41 PM
IMO, if the rumors are true, the Concourse Steakhouse will be a welcome removal from the hotel. The food has never impressed me all that much anyway.

I thought the article said the Concourse Steakhouse is switching locations with the arcade/fast food place.

I hope the facelift doesn't detract from the George Jetsen look.

They could definitely improve the pool.

jeancbpugh
01-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Am I the only one who likes the current decor at the CR? I agree that some parts need a little sprucing up, but I have a hard time understanding all the negative things I have read. We just stayed there the week before Christmas and LOVED it. The article says that it will be a more business-like focus and that seems kind of sad to me. Being able to watch the castle change colors and watch the fireworks from my room was so....so...Disney! I can't imagine wasting that view on a bunch of businessmen who are preoccupied with their laptops and seminars. Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes. I've never done the business trip thing, so I may be way off. I just hope the made-over CR will be as fun and family-friendly as it is now.

I like the current decor, too.

The spouses and offspring of the businesspeople need great theming and views, too.

nygrl
01-04-2005, 02:47 PM

I agree totally We were at the cr at the end of oct and loved everything about it. I hope they dont make too many changes and for all the people who say they would never stay there give it a try you wont be dissapointed!!! :cool1:

swilphil
01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Jean--The food court is moving to the Concourse location, and they will put a more expensive sitdown restaurant where the Food Court is. The article didn't say exactly what the new restaurant will be.

I'm glad to hear some people like the current decor. We are staying there in March, hopefully there won't be too much construction going on then.

Cathy baby RN
01-04-2005, 04:10 PM
"TigrLvsPooh I think this is great news!!!! The CR has the best location and if they add a DVC resort there then I would definitely consider buying in... finally. "

I totally agree....this is the one resort that would push me to buy into DVC.
It's always been our resort of choice. :boat:

queenmichelle
01-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Am I the only one who likes the current decor at the CR?

No I LOVE :love: It!!!! I'ts one of my favorites.

Disney_Queen34
01-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I think that it is about time!