PDA

View Full Version : questions about POFQ

KYmommy
01-03-2005, 06:14 AM
After reading and reading I think I have finally decided on making resv. at POFQ for my family in June.
Now I'm getting nervous about what I decided. Can anyone give me tips/plusses about this resort?
How is the transportation to the parks? Will we be waiting a long time and once on the bus will it take a long time to get there? What's the best transportation for each park? Also, we will be using EE's. Will Disney transportation begin early enough for us to get in line at the parks early (before park opens)?
How about getting to restaurants (for ex. Chef Mickey's)? How hard is it?
I have a 5 year old DS. We plan to have down time each afternoon, we'll we be able to get back to POFQ?
Finally, I heard that the rooms were redone this year, are they nice? And where should I request a room?
Thank you so much. This is our first time at WDW. I am so excited, but want everything to be perfect. Any other tips, please tell me.

Kris

LargoLori
01-03-2005, 06:27 AM
We were just at POFQ 12-17 to 12-23. We really enjoyed the resort. The room was very nice and had plenty of room for us. It was myself, DH and DD8. Ther was a fridge and coffe maker in the room. We were in bldg 7. I decided not to request a room and just see what we got. Bldg 7 is a little further from the lobby but we had no complaints. We were in a corner room and I think they are a little bigger. The buses were a little slow at times but it was the week of Christmas. Once on the bus it did not take long to get to the parks. If you are going to Chef Mickey's I would take the bus to MK and then get on the monorail. We went to GF this way and it took us about 45 min. Just allow enough time. You will have a great time.

Lori

Cass
01-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi there... We like POFQ ~ it seems smaller and less busy than other resorts, the pool is great and the food court very good too.

At night, after meals (like Chef Mickeys) we just grab a cab back... it is so worth the $10 - 15.00 to get all of you back to your resort and avoid taking the monorail and then switching to busses.

My time and enjoyment is worth more to me when I am on holiday.. I am not going to face crowds and an hour travelling after a nice dinner to get back to my resort... we just walk out the front door of whatever hotel and there is usually a cab right there or the bell captain will call one for us, in a flash.

robinb
01-03-2005, 08:41 AM
After reading and reading I think I have finally decided on making resv. at POFQ for my family in June.

Kris ... first of all, Welcome to the DIS! I think you made a great choice in resorts. POFQ is one of my favorites :).

How is the transportation to the parks? Will we be waiting a long time and once on the bus will it take a long time to get there? What's the best transportation for each park? Also, we will be using EE's. Will Disney transportation begin early enough for us to get in line at the parks early (before park opens)?

POFQ shares a bus with PO-Riverside. The bus usually stops at POFQ first and then goes on to pick up passengers at PO-R. That means that you will likely have a seat when picked up and will be the first ones off when dropped off. The busses were very prompt when we stayed there, although the ride can be long since you have to "visit" PO-R's many bus stops. Since EE is only available to Disney resort guests they provides early transportation to the EE park :).

How about getting to restaurants (for ex. Chef Mickey's)? How hard is it?

Getting to/from other resorts using Disney transportation can be more problematic. You will need to take a bus to a park and then take the other resort's bus to the resort. In your case, you would want to take the bus to the MK and then walk or monorail to the Contemporary. You may want to consider taking a taxi home. I don't think the fare would be too expensive.

I have a 5 year old DS. We plan to have down time each afternoon, we'll we be able to get back to POFQ?

Smart thinking! You'll need a rest too :). You should have no problems getting back to POFQ for a rest. We usually rest for about an hour and then swim for about an hour every afternoon. The nap/swim combination really recharges the old batteries. If you're planning on doing some late nights I would also suggest that you bring a stroller for your little guy. We just returned from WDW and my 5 year old DD did fine walking during the day, but fell asleep in her stroller just about every night. The stroller was only used at night.

Finally, I heard that the rooms were redone this year, are they nice? And where should I request a room?

They are very nice! The resort is very small, so no room is far away from the pool or food court. If you have a standard view booked, I would ask for an interior courtyard view. The parking lot views aren't bad, but the interior views are better. You might also ask for a corner room which has bigger windows if that kind of thing is important to you.

Other tips ... buy at least one refillable mug on your first day. The food court is on your way in and out of the resort. We always grab a cup of coffee on the way to the park (we bring a ziplock in our day bag for the dirty cups) and an ice tea on our way back to the room. Also, make some time to see Bob Jackson over at the PO-R bar. He is so much fun! He plays the piano, tells corny jokes and sings songs that everyone knows and sings along. Here's his website: http://www.yehaabob.com/. Don't let the bar scare you ... there are many children there and you can grab dinner over in the food court and use your refillable mug since PO-R and POFQ are sister resorts.

You'll have a great time!

candleonwater
01-03-2005, 08:44 AM
POFQ is one of my daughters favorite resorts. She loves the pool. I loved the water taxi. For our next trip, if we weren't going for such a short time, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We decided NOT to request a room and got stuck on the far side of bldg 1 - not a bad walk, but once we discovered the toilet was leaking into the bathroom, they moved us to Bldg 5 - on the end away from the pool. It was a wonderful location.

The buses aren't bad - you get picked up before POR, and dropped off 1st too...

hawkrn
01-03-2005, 09:24 AM
We have stayed at POR and loved it so now we are trying POFQ in August. Does anyone remember what time the LAST boat LEAVES DD? We are going to the 9pm show of Cirque and it doesn't get over till 1030, plus it's on the other side of DD from the boat, so don't know if it's easier to grab the bus. But the boat ride is so much nicer!

bntlyclg89
01-03-2005, 09:56 AM
My DF and I stayed at POFQ in October and have nothing but good things to say about it. We were nervous about just using Disney xportation but it was very good! We had bfast at Chef Mickey's and took the bus to the MK and then the monorail to the Contemporary. If we had reservations for dinner at a resort (like the Yachtsman) then we took a cab back to the hotel--boy were our feet tired by the end of the day. Although we enjoyed the boat to DD we definately did not feel like walking across DD in the evening and just took the bus.

I know you and your children will love your stay here. The pool, while not as large as POR is lovely and we enjoyed using it in the afternoons.

Hope you have fun!

cobbler
01-03-2005, 10:35 AM
This is good news. I stayed at Riverside in 03 and really liked it. I plan on staying at FQ this year in the fall (AP rates willing) so this is nice to hear.

I will have finally stayed at all the moderates :)

Mortlives
01-03-2005, 11:08 AM
POFQ is DH's favourite resort, so far. I loved the theming, and the boat to DTD. The sea serpent pool is fun, too.

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

wendypooh
01-03-2005, 11:19 AM
This is the best info I've found so far!!! We are going to POFQ in a few days, our first time at this resort!! We are doing chef mickey's monday, then on wed. ds is doing the pirate cruise!! I can hardly wait. I requested bldg. 5, corner room, non-smoking, thanks to tips I found here. Is there anything else I need to know??? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

OH, also, during the evening, where would be the best place to see the water parade? Thanks

eeyore0062
01-03-2005, 11:40 AM
This is our favorite moderate. It is more compact than the others, so you don't have to walk forever to the pool, check in, food court, or bus stop. It has one bus stop which is in the front and at busy times, it is the only stop. During other times, the busses will pick up there then proceed to pick up at Riverside, but it really doesnt' take that long. Also, you are first on, first off, which is always good! The pool is nice, and the kids love the serpent slide. We really like the food court and you have to get the beignets for breakfast (yum!) The castmembers here are great! The theming is beautiful, and it was just recently completely refurbished, so there is all new paint, carpet, furniture, you name it, in the rooms!~

You have NOT made a mistake... you will love this resort! :love:

Drizzo67
01-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Are there refrigerators in the rooms or do you still need to request one?

Loved reading all the happy posts about POFQ. DH wanted to go back to CBR but I talked him into trying something new. princess:

wendypooh
01-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info.......... being from Louisiana, we know all too well that beignets are good!! In fact I make them pretty regularly!!! ;) We are really looking forward to it. Keep the info coming!!! You guys are great!!

KYmommy
01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Thank you, thank you!! You all have wonderful info and I am feeling much better about my choice. I never thought about getting a cab after dinner.
Can i just rent a stroller, if my DS decides he is too tired to walk?
Any other ideas are welcomed!! Thanks for all of you your help.

Kris

robinb
01-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, you can rent a stroller. They are $7 per day (I think). It was easier and cheaper for us to bring ours and my DD used it every night.

bytheblood
01-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Very nice resort. Was there Christmas 2002. The buses are great. Never had to wait more than 5 - 10 minutes for a bus. Now, leaving the park was a different story, but still not too bad.

Rooms were nice, the resort staff was great, the food was good for a food court and the scenery was great. As you can see by my sig, we are planning to stay at Pop in June, but we are strongly considering changing to the POFQ if we get a discount code.

Valera
01-03-2005, 05:27 PM
POFQ is great as long as you don't get stuck in bld 1 or bld 7. If we ever stayed at POFQ again we would definitely request a closer building.

Other than that the resort was clean, quiet, my DS loved the slide, and as a wonderful suprise we saw the MVMCP fireworks from the railing outside our room.

I will admit that I missed the decor, inside coridors, and balcony that we had at WL. However, my DS liked the slide at POFQ better and over all we had a great time!

wendypooh
01-03-2005, 07:59 PM
What are the MVMCP fireworks? I was thinking we could go over to the beach at the poly to see the parade, and fireworks. Do you know if the bus will be running after the water parade? We would have to take the monorail back to MK to board our bus to POFQ. I want to make sure it will still be running, so that we don't have to drive over there.

Does anyone know the time for the water parade? And the time of the buses. Thanks!!

wdw47
01-03-2005, 09:14 PM
we have stayed at the pofq many times and we are looking forward to our next visit we have not stayed there sense the renovations do they still have the entertainer in the lounge at night