PDA

View Full Version : How often do they check your AP at check-in?

Kallison
01-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Just wondering -- we have gotten AP rates twice, once at BC and once at Dolphin. Neither time did they ask for our AP and we did have one to show. Now I'm thinking of getting MYW tix for entire family but we have a room with an AP rate. What happens if we don't have the AP at check-in?

cobbler
01-02-2005, 09:42 PM
If they ask you for it and you don't have it, then I do believe you get charged rack rate.

Sammie
01-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Annual Pass purchases are linked in the Disney computer system. That is why many CMs do not even bother to ask to see the AP as they know you have already purchased it.

I would not chance it.

Kallison
01-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Well our first trip to the BC we didn't buy AP until after we had checked in. So that blows that theory.

goofydad621
01-02-2005, 09:58 PM
On a thread ealier this week some folks were talking about Disney cracking downand showing a valid AP at check in was manditory, I called the Poly (we are going in a few weeks) an I was told that we had to show at least a voucher at check in and an activated AP with in 48 hours of check in.

Hope this helps

Dave

Sammie
01-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Well our first trip to the BC we didn't buy AP until after we had checked in. So that blows that theory.

If you want to risk it, certainly you can have that option. I personally would not ever intentionally begin my vacation with deception.

I am sure there are CM's that have let some slip by. There are also CM's that will check the reservation before you check out and if you have not purchased the AP by check out, then charge you rack rate.

You might get away with it, you might also get caught and be asked to either pay rack rate or go purchase the AP.

Considering Disney reads these boards I would be leary of taking the chance.

Ilovestitch
01-02-2005, 10:00 PM
They might not always ask, but I have heard people say they were asked to present their AP at check-in - so it DOES happen.

I don't know about you, but I'd feel bad about lying and taking away an AP discount from someone who actually HAS an AP.

If your o.k. with lying and don't mind paying rack rate if you get caught- then go for it! Although it's not worth it IMHO. -Steph

skondo10
01-03-2005, 01:28 AM
I have used my AP to book rooms for our past eight trips. During our Magical Gathering I was able to book three rooms using my AP. I was never asked to show my AP at check in although I always have it ready just in case. We were staying at AKL this December and I was asked to show my AP. This was the first time. I think they may start checking more frequently.

pampam
01-03-2005, 04:26 AM
At the most, you will be charged rack rate, which is what you will be charged with the MYW anyway. Go for it.

chimera
01-03-2005, 07:30 AM
We go about every other month and have never been asked. Doesn't mean they won't start asking now that rates are changing.

Leota
01-03-2005, 08:32 AM
WARNING - Soapbox Speech Coming!

I am an AP holder - Have been since 1998. AP rates are for AP Holders - It is designed as a Perk for Frequent Guests. There are only so many AP Rooms available which should be used by Frequent Guests who hold AP's. To take these rooms away from true AP holders is pretty selfish, IMHO.

It is my hope that WDW will institute the policy held by DLR - you have to provide your AP# when you make the room reservation & then show the AP upon check-in.

BTW - I have had to show my AP upon check-in before, but not every time. I, personally, wish they would be stricter on their AP policy.

Doesney
01-03-2005, 09:09 AM
3 out of 4 times we have been asked to provide it. I think its just too risky to chance it.

disfan100
01-03-2005, 09:12 AM
This is my reply to a similar thread last week:
I was requested to show an AP 2 out of 4 trips to WDW in 2004. This was the first time I had ever been asked. In previous years it was never mentioned. The first request was in April. I had 3 rooms reserved at CSR. The second request was at CR in October and it was only me.

D&R love Disney
01-03-2005, 09:34 AM
I've never been asked to show my AP or voucher but I always have one available. Many of my friends have been asked to show theirs though.

lark
01-03-2005, 09:36 AM
I agree with everyone that this is cheating. But everyone's moral compass is set differently, and this is supposed to be a board about sharing tips and the like.

One thing I've seen suggested on this board is to delay the purchasing of passes for one of the people in your group. For example, if you're going to be there for 5 days, a child's MYW pass would be in the neighborhood of $200 or so, or more if you want extra features. If you get asked for the AP at check in, tell them you haven't bought it yet, and then buy it for the child. For an extra cost of about $180, you get your room discount. If they don't ask, buy whatever pass you were going to buy.

Some thoughts on this: (1) Obviously it only works if your room discount is steep enough and you're going for a multi-day stay. (2) There's nothing to keep them from asking you for your AP during your stay, in which case you're going to get charged rack rates, which, frankly, I wish they would do from time to time to keep it honest. And (3) make no mistake about it, this is stealing. If you're ok with that, so be it, but at least acknowledge it is what it is.

Aisleleven
01-03-2005, 10:06 AM
WARNING - Soapbox Speech Coming!

I am an AP holder - Have been since 1998. AP rates are for AP Holders - It is designed as a Perk for Frequent Guests. There are only so many AP Rooms available which should be used by Frequent Guests who hold AP's. To take these rooms away from true AP holders is pretty selfish, IMHO.

It is my hope that WDW will institute the policy held by DLR - you have to provide your AP# when you make the room reservation & then show the AP upon check-in.

BTW - I have had to show my AP upon check-in before, but not every time. I, personally, wish they would be stricter on their AP policy.

I agree with you...

FYI - I have been asked to show my DL to confirm my address for a Florida Resident Discount EVERYTIME...and my address is clearly on my ressie and in the computer...

I've also been asked for my AP when checking in (on more than one occassion)...

When I called to confirm my ressies, the CM reminded me to bring my AP stating I would need to show it at check-in...

Like everything in Disney, I'm sure there are exceptions to this and it will depend on the CM checking you in, but it seems like they are starting to crack down on this...

skiwee1
01-03-2005, 10:24 AM
I've never been asked for my AP when checking in. Even when first purchased and nothing was in the system was I ever asked. I always ask them if they want to see it and told no. The CMs have always told me that when making the reservation CRO puts that I have an AP and that is all they need. I asked the CM what if I really didn't have an AP and just told the CRO that? They reply that they just go by what they are told in teh system. I would never chance not having an AP and getting the rate though.

CamColt
01-03-2005, 11:40 AM
We have been asked to show an AP at the Poly twice, the Swan, and ASSP, when checking in with an AP rate.

eeyorina
01-03-2005, 11:47 AM
I had to show my AP at the BC last Oct along with my AAA card as we had nights booked with one or the other.

EsmeraldaX
01-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I've had my AP voucher and not been asked. In fact, I told them it would not be activated until the next day and the CM said that was fine.

BigOnDis
01-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I think I have had to show my AP every time I have checked in. Then again I probably look suspicious.

DisDarling
01-03-2005, 12:36 PM
I would think you would WANT to make sure they see your AP upon check-in so you dont have to be worrying about it the entire time you are staying there!

Remember: Just because they didnt ask you for it at check-in, they have every right to ask you for it during your stay. Someone, like a manager, may see they didnt check or hear that they didnt and come asking you!

D.D.

skiwee1
01-03-2005, 12:53 PM
I would think you would WANT to make sure they see your AP upon check-in so you dont have to be worrying about it the entire time you are staying there!

Remember: Just because they didnt ask you for it at check-in, they have every right to ask you for it during your stay. Someone, like a manager, may see they didnt check or hear that they didnt and come asking you!

D.D.

Personally I would have liked for them to check my AP and every other AP so that it would stop the abuse. I always ask if they want to see it and even pull it out and none will look at it. If they don't then I most certainly do not worry about what they are going to charge me as I know I have a paid trip and they cannot charge me more just because their system is screwed up. I have stayed at the CBR 3 times, the WL once, and the Poly 5 times with the last trip being this past October and have never been asked for the AP. I would love it if the AP was required even before making the ressie as it would eliminate all those that buy the AP strictly for the good room rates and leave the good deals for folks that actually go to the parks a lot.

Leota
01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
I would love it if the AP was required even before making the ressie as it would eliminate all those that buy the AP strictly for the good room rates and leave the good deals for folks that actually go to the parks a lot.

Amen, Skiwee. I think I will send in a suggestion letter to that affect. My friend & I were just talking about this on the phone last night. It seems to be rankling alot of long-time AP holders.

maryliz
01-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I would love it if the AP was required even before making the ressie as it would eliminate all those that buy the AP strictly for the good room rates and leave the good deals for folks that actually go to the parks a lot.

And I have no problem with this, as long as there is some type of number on the vouchers that we get so that voucher holders are also eligible. After all, it's not my fault that I don't actually hold the AP in hand when I purchase it and make my ressies. Is there some sort of a reference number that could be used for ressies?

I don't agree with someone using these rates when they are truly not an AP holder. However I strongly doubt they would ask you for it after check-in. There are far too many guests checking in and out for someone to "notice" that the CM didn't ask. However, the simple solution is that the CM's should be forced to ask for it on check-in. It's on their screen ... should be mandatory. And if someone doesn't have one, they should be forced to produce an activated AP within 24 hours. Failing to do so, their room charges should be changed to reflect rack rate.

Mary-Liz

wilderness01
01-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I have never been asked to show my AP but I have always been asked to show my driver's license and I do not live in Florida. I just thought it was a security measure to make sure the appropriate person was checking in.

Personally I do not think it is right of anyone without an AP to use an AP code. That takes away a room from someone who really does have the pass and should get the discount if they are available. I wish they would ask to see the AP at checkin as well as this would eliminate anyone from stealing.

jennf
01-03-2005, 04:17 PM
we stayed at AKL & POLY in Dec and were asked to show our AP's