PDA

View Full Version : Sorry To be a Downer, but...

Yacht Club Guy
12-24-2004, 12:55 AM
I want to hear of your worst resort moments :earseek: ! What resorts have you had a horrifiying experince at :scared1: ? If you have not had a resort problem, tell me what Deluxe or Moderate resort looks bad to you... This is to vent a little, so let it all out! Don't tell me of those great experiances! :badpc: It may seem strange, but I like to hear what opinions you have!....
Let it ALL out!
YACHT CLUB GUY

leebee
12-24-2004, 02:22 AM
Just taking the bait...Room with two double beds for two adults and a 10 year old, no fridge, bathroom with tub and potty- the only bathroom floor space was the minimum required for opening bathroom door while standing pressed up against the toilet. No continental breakfast, taking 2.5 hours to catch a bus from the park to the resort after Fantasmic, pool packed to beyond capacity...good thing I didn't have to pay $144 plus taxes per night for POFQ in June '04, I only got soaked for $75 plus tax per night. Never again onsite, kept dreaming of the spacious offsite 2br villa we COULD have had for less $$$!!!

Disfreek
12-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Don't get me started on the long long long bus rides from the parks to the resorts. BLAH!

MaryKatesMom
12-24-2004, 05:49 AM
Paid for a water view at BC. All I could see was the pool stairs railing through the bushes. Never get water view at BC.

TLinden16
12-24-2004, 07:18 AM
I had a horrible experience at the Wilderness Lodge. One issue after another. Stayed in three different rooms in five nights! Had a problem with loud banging noises in the first room. In the second room, we were stuck next to a family with a screeching kid who would scream at the top of his lungs until midnight, and be up at 5:30 doing it all over again (and he was like five or six based on his vocabulary). His father and older sibling were yelling at him to shut up, which made it worse. (OK, I know this isn't Disney's fault, but it was an unpleasant part of the trip). In the third room, we had a cockroach! Yuck.

Among the other lowlights:

Bell services destroyed my friends luggage lock to the point where we had to have someone come up and cut it off (which they gave us a hard time about doing even though it was there fault).

In the second room, the beds were horrible. Even a slight movement made them squeak, and my mattress sagged so much that it sunk in a couple of inches when I lied on it!

We went to the character breakfast there, and in the hour or so we were sitting at the table, we only had Eeyore come to our table (even though we watched the characters go to areas across the restaurant two or more times). We finally had to ask our server to please send the characters over so my friend (a huge Pooh fan) could get pictures.

There were other little things here and there that wouldn't have bothered me alone, but piled on top of everything else, made me a very unhappy person.

Karen

epcotfan
12-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Animal Kingdom Lodge: Dirty Room, Maid threw out personal property and receipts, extremely rude guests (not hotel's fault), Front desk had us wait up till 3am promising fridge to be delivered and never showed....All in all a very frustrating vacation and we are easy to please. This is the first time I ever complained about a hotel room stay.

JESW
12-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Not a MAJOR complaint compared to others I have seen, but in November we were at the YC concierge and our room over-looked the convention buldings roof! Blah! I love to sit on the balcony but that wasn't worth it - no view and too much noise. And with the $$$$ you pay for concierge I REALLY wanted a decent view. Yes, we could have asked to be moved, but DH was in such a foul mood that never happpened...

Jill

DeterminedOne
12-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Value resorts ... ick! Okay, in all fairness- All Star Sports ... ick! It reminded me of a glorified Projects. The carpet was grubby. Didn't want to take off my shoes. And the bathroom with the dormitory type shower. Give me a break! And no matter what time of the day or evening, mobs of people at the bus stop. Never again! And you couldn't pay me to stay at the Contemporary either.

DizzKneeLand
12-24-2004, 10:34 AM
My bad experience was recently - while staying at Pop Century.

I had come back to the room early (2pm) to take a nap before MVMCP. The room looked like it had not been visited by Mousekeeping yet - dirty towels still in bathroom, bed not straightened ... which while frustrating was okay - maybe they had a lot of check-outs and had not gotten to continue staying guests yet.

Until I noticed two things - my curtians were opened (I leave them closed normally) and the Mousekeeping envelope was gone. Mousekeeping had come into the room - taken the tip - and left.

I called Mousekeeping and spoke to a supervisor. She told me the Mousekeeper was making Towel Critters ... and had not completed them to come back and clean the room. Basically said dont worry about coming back to clean it, after I nap I would call for clean towels. But I also told the Supervisor that I felt if they could come in the room and take the tip - they could do the very basic stuff (make the bed, change the towels) and bring back the towel creations later ....

I did get towel creations - but they brought me very little joy - because I felt they were given to me out of guilt.

DizzKnee

Ladyhawke10
12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Animal Kingdom Lodge concierge stay!

Booked a birthday trip after hearing concierge at AKL was great and I had loved regular room AKL experience. OMG--one technical problem after the other...no mention of birthday at all during stay (not that I expected a party, but usually someone says "Happy Birthday" when you are paying that much!!), original reservation lost and then reinstated--so the indication was that there was some kind of computer problem going on with our reservation file because we were checked out early and locks were changed when we were at the pool one day, were taken off housekeeping and turndown service schedules, no record of our sunrise safari reservation (we had the confirmation number so they reinstated us), overcharged at checkout for the sunrise safari...it was crazy the whole time!!!

At Yacht club we were once booked into a handicapped room when we hadn't requested on, and since I had a toddler, we needed a bathtub (in handicapped room there was just shower). They were full but said they'd have another room available at any time and to wait. We waited all afternoon, kind of roaming around the hotel and checking back every half hour. We were upgraded to a water view finally when the official check in time came and went. I never understood why they didn't just upgrade us to begin with rather than have us wait like that! In all fairness, we were offered a complimentary future stay in concierge at either the Yacht or Beach club (we chose Beach club for our return visit), so I have no complaints about the way it was handled! On the day of our original visit, I'm guessing there were some new staff and the management thought they didn't handle it right or something, because we were treated so royally, and I didn't even ask for any compensation. So nice!!!

To balance this out, I want to add that I've had several stays at the Grand Floridian, a couple of problem free stays at AKL in regular non-concierge rooms, perfect stays at WL concierge, BC concierge, the Swan, and Port Orleans French Quarter....so Disney definitely gets it right the vast majority of the time! We return again and again!

PolyHereWeCome
12-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Yacht Club Guy - What about you? Got a good one to share?

Hopefully when we return from our upcoming 1st family trip, I'll have only great things to report! :flower1:

soccer mom
12-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Although not horrible, our worst resort stay was at BC. We (DH, DS-18, DS-16, DD14 and myself) "lucked out" and got one of their small rooms with double, not queen size, beds on the concierge floor. Five adult size bodies was too much for that room! We had to physically move the table and chairs every time we wanted to go on the balconey. There was no room between the bed and the wall/french doors for them. They were at the foot of the bed in front of the daybed directly in the path to the french doors! It was suppose to be water view, but all we could see was trees...not one drop of water. It wasn't a bad trip but the room and room location stunk, especially when you're paying the price of a concierge room! Two rooms for us anywhere else from now on!

eeyore0062
12-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Nothing horrible, maybe a bit inconvenient.
Paid for a water view room at Dixie Landings back in 1993 and basically had the view of a pillar from our window. We were WDW rookies, so we didn't even think of asking for another room.

Stayed at AS-Mo last summer and could hear the toilets flush at night.

Only have ever had one problem with bus transportation, again in 1993. Had made PS at Cape May Cafe and tried to take the bus from PO-R, using DTD as our transportation hub. We were about an hour late for our PS. As I said above, we were rookies and just looked at it as a learning experience. We now drive to other resorts if we have a PS and are coming from our room.

This is kind of off the subject, but going to Jellyrolls and having to leave due to the dense fog of cigarette and cigar smoke. Wish they would make that club non smoking like they did at PI.

Yacht Club Guy
12-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Honestly, we have not gone! I am tryiing to pick out a good resort to stay at, WL is very nice, so we will be staying there, but we are cought up with the other resort. I am trying to find one, so we can do a split stay. The resorts that are not appealing to me are: All the values, CBR, POR, Polly, GF, San/Dolphin, BC. WE LIKE: YC, WL, AKL, POFQ, BW. that is why I am asking for horror experances! Thanks for responding!

Ladyhawke10
12-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Although not horrible, our worst resort stay was at BC. We (DH, DS-18, DS-16, DD14 and myself) "lucked out" and got one of their small rooms with double, not queen size, beds on the concierge floor. Five adult size bodies was too much for that room! We had to physically move the table and chairs every time we wanted to go on the balconey. There was no room between the bed and the wall/french doors for them. They were at the foot of the bed in front of the daybed directly in the path to the french doors! It was suppose to be water view, but all we could see was trees...not one drop of water. It wasn't a bad trip but the room and room location stunk, especially when you're paying the price of a concierge room! Two rooms for us anywhere else from now on!

Honestly, while I enjoyed the theme of the Beach club quite a bit (I just love Cape Cod) I think if we had not had a complimentary stay I would have been disappointed about the cost of the room versus what you get. We were on the fifth floor concierge, and the rooms I've had a GF, BW and YC have all been much bigger...I'm pretty sure the rooms at AKL are bigger as well. That's okay but the view wasn't that great either...just a terrace view of other balconies. We could see the water if we stood at one corner of the balcony and leaned over but it wasn't worth it to do that!!! :) I would definitely pay for a water view (the Boardwalk at night was gorgeous) over concierge. With all the great eateries at the Epcot and on the Boardwalk, we didn't really need the lounge snacks. The lounge was small, not like the great lounge at WL or AKL. I loved our free stay for sure, but I wouldn't pay for it normally.

seashoreCM
12-24-2004, 07:34 PM
>>> dormitory type shower

You were assigned to a handicapped room (wheelchair accessible).

Stayed at Coronado Springs this past August, was assigned to a room next to a hissing air conditioner unit that served the whole building. Actually I hardly heard it from inside the room.

Coming back to the room the next night I lost my bearings and also forgot my room number. The only thing I remember was the the room's position relative to an air conditioner so I just listened for the noise and found the room that way rather than hike back to the registration desk!

Stayed many times on site, have not had any gripes so far.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Next trip: Jan 1-7, '05, Pop Century

DVCconvert
12-24-2004, 10:24 PM
One night at YC conceirge...the turn-down maid forgot to leave me the mint chocolate on my pillow!!! :scared1:

;)
seriously, never had any complains, anywhere I've stayed: CR, GF, YC, OKW, BWI

Skywalker
12-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Okay, am I the only one surprised that someone named "Yacht Club Guy" is not sure where to stay? :upsidedow

Roo'sMom
12-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Okay, am I the only one surprised that someone named "Yacht Club Guy" is not sure where to stay? :upsidedow

LOL
:boat:

Alicnwondrln
12-26-2004, 09:15 PM
I love hearing about peoples bad experiences because most of the time everyone has great trips. It makes we look at the world through real eyes rather than those rose colored glasses.

disneyfreakjackie
12-26-2004, 11:54 PM
One night at YC conceirge...the turn-down maid forgot to leave me the mint chocolate on my pillow!!! :scared1:

Hee! Hee!! You must have been HORRIFIED!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I've stayed in deluxe to value . . . no complaints here!! I don't need those "rose colored glasses" either!!! Just put me in WDW!!! :cloud9:

MariettaC
12-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I have stayed at many of the resorts over the years and loved them all.
When there was a problem, it was promptly taken care of. My family and friends will be having a Grand Gathering in March and I look forward to a wonderful experience, as always. :grouphug:

SamanthaL
12-27-2004, 08:30 AM
I can't really think of a terrible experience.

The worst I can say is:

A) The Beach CLub VIllas didn't have our 2 bedroom villa ready when we arrived at 5pm. We were told it was done but when we got there Mousekeeping was very rude. We went back to the front desk and the manager was sooooo nice. He sent us for a free dinner at the Cape May Clam bake and when we were done all was clean!

B) We stayed at the Poly on our wedding night. No one ever said a word. No congrats nothing. My TA said they set up a surprise in the room but there was nothing waiting. AND the worst part was the way the Bell Services GUy was staring at us as he brought us to our room! Very creepy with a strange little smile on his face!

C) OKW had slow bus service but that was all can say!

That's all I can say really. I have had wonderful experiences at the BC especially when we left the Poly for the BC on our honeymoon. Gorgeous king room with a water view and tons of privacy! A daily call to see if we needed anything done for us and a lovely basket of goodies. (THe basket now holds diapers on my son's changing table) :blush:

Disney mostly does a great job I think!

dennisnlisab96
12-27-2004, 09:13 AM
In 2000 we stayed at CSR. We were gauranteed a non-smoking room for medical reasons(asthma). When we arrived at our room it was a smoking room. We called the front desk from a house phone. They said to wait there someone would be over to give us a new room key. About 45 min later someone can with a new room key. They new room was quite a walk from where we were. By this time it was 8:30 and our 3 year old DD is getting tired. We get to the new room and open the door.....someone was already in this room and there stuff was everywhere. I am really glad they we not in the room. We called the fromt desk again and they brought us ANOTHER room key. This time the CM stayed with us until we opended the door and were sure no one was in that room!! Everything seemed fine....EXCEPT one of the beds was a mess and there was something left in the toilet!! GROSS!!! The next morning I went to the front desk and after a little bit of difficulty I was able to get them to give me a refund of that first night!! Other than a few rude CM's over the years that has been the only "problem" we have ever had!!

Squirlz
12-27-2004, 09:26 AM

Maybe the cockroach took it!

rx8anna
12-27-2004, 01:08 PM
My first two trips to Disney World were pretty bad - had bad room experience and customer service experiences at both Riverside and ASMovies. But I just came back from a wonderful experience for Christmas staying at Pop Century and the Swan.

Would I ever stay at Riverside and ASMovies again? No way. The room at Riverside had multiple problems and the experience we had there was pretty much a series of unfortunate events. The room at All Star Movies was good, but the resort was too loud and the CMs we encountered were not pleasant at all.

It's almost surreal how wonderful this past trip was considering my last two trips. It almost started to feel like someone was watching over us making everything fall right into perfect place, but I also think that part of it was my attitude. I went into this trip having the lowest of low expectations and well, there's no where to go but up with that kind of attitude. ;)

cbrfan
12-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Hate to be gross, but when we checked into our room at WL there was a "skidmark" on the toilet seat. Yuk!!

Yacht Club Guy
12-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Skywalker-
I have that name because when I first looked at all the resorts, I liked the YC. The way it lights up in the night.... After I signed up for this group, my favorite resorts changed to WL, AKL, POFQ, and BWI. There you go... I was actually wondering if you can change your screen name... Thanks for replying,
Yacht Club Guy (trying to change his name....)
-Thanks!

ead79
12-27-2004, 03:12 PM
I've stayed at several Disney resorts (All Star Music, Wilderness Lodge, BoardWalk Inn, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Pop Century) and I've been lucky enough to only have one really negative experience.

It was at the Beach Club. We checked in with no problems and all was well until we tried to go to sleep that night. There was a very annoying whirring noise that kept going on and off over and over again. It wasn't noticeable during the daytime since it's noisier then, but at night it was extremely noticeable. After getting a horrible night's sleep, we went down to the front desk to politely inquire about getting another room. The person at the front desk (who I assume was a manager since he was wearing a suit instead of a costume) was VERY rude to us. He treated us like we were trying to get something for free (all we wanted was another room of the exact same level we had booked, just without the noise). He moved us to another room with a bad attitude (after we had been so friendly). When the bellman who was helping us move our luggage walked into our new room with us, he immediately asked us if we wanted another new room since it smelled sooo strongly of smoke (a non-smoking room). We didn't take him up on it since we were afraid to deal with the rude manager again. Honestly, I was much more upset by the way the manager treated us than by the noise. We later figured out that it must've been a short in the exhaust fan, so we let the front desk know so that they could fix it. I just couldn't stand the way I was treated. It's not like we asked for anything other than a nice, quiet room.

DemoBri1
12-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Don't get me started on the long long long bus rides from the parks to the resorts. BLAH!

This is why you rent a car!!

Ames
12-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Our last Disney trip we stayed at CS. Had booked a water-view asked for the Cabana section. Very unfriendly castmate checking us in. We got to the room and were looking at swamp ( I don't consider that water) and the bus entrance to the hotel. We asked for something facing the main lake...got to that room to find dirty glasses and towels. We then had to wait about 3 hours (after normal check in time) for another available clean room. While waiting we noticed a corner room that seemed perfect and since the curtains were open we noticed it appeared to be not in use. Sure enough it was available and they did give it to us. I don't think we should have to search out our own rooms. We won't be staying at CS again.

littleprincessmom
12-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Not a horrible stay, but our least fave of the on-site resorts. Had a garden view room which was perfectly nice but the room walls were paper thin! The first night, we had a family staying for a Disney cruise in the room next to us and heard everything they said/did at 5:00 a.m. when they got up to leave. Our closeness with neighbors continued the entire trip. Except for "no sound proofing" walls, the room was fine but be warned! As much as we paid for the room (this was in our pre-Disboards days before we knew better), we expected higher quality construction. Has anyone else had this problem?

We keep contemplating trying a GF tower room but the prices -- ouch! :D

Wonderful stays at CBR, Poly, WL and AKL! :flower1:

disneyfreakjackie
12-27-2004, 05:23 PM
This is why you rent a car!!

I feel SO LUCKY. We've never had bus problems!! Don't think they're too long, never waited an absurb amount of time for one to arrive, drivers always nice (we once had the "bubble driver", he blew bubbles as we got on; and once had a driver who told jokes and asked Disney trivia questions all the way "home". It was GREAT!!) We love the busses and drivers at WDW!!! :cloud9:

pearlieq
12-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Hands down, Contemporary! Ugh, what an awful place! And I'm saying this even after the bumped my room from tower to concierge--it was that bad!

The hotel is dirty and our room was in a sad state. The room was very large and the MK view is incomparable, but the door hardware on the balcony was warped and broken so you had to fight to get the room door open, and then once you were out there you had a balcony covered in bird doo! They didn't even attempt clean it or to work on the bird problem--I was trapped in a Hitchcock film...

Housekeeping lost a very dear stuffed animal of ours and we got the run around from the concierge staff, housekeeping, and guest services. We still haven't gotten it back. When we were searching the room for the lost stuffed animal, we discovered deposits of dust bunnies and dirt in all of the corners and behind the beds. There were little mountains of grunge, used washcloths, and beer bottle caps behing the beds. Yuck!

In the public areas, the carpets were dirty and worn, and every other light fixture was burned out. The Bay View pool was closed for our entire stay. There wasn't a sign or any notice of this, just a few chairs pulled across the opening. I asked a lifeguard and they said a pump was broken and they had no idea when it would be fixed. It never reopened the week we were there. The main pool was open, but it was filthy! There was a ring of gray scum all th way around and debris (band-aids, product wrappers, etc.) floating around. Plus, there was a skin of leaves all over the pool. I understand things fall in the pool, but this was obviously neglected.

The whole place was just dirty and depressing. Never again!

Ladyhawke10
12-27-2004, 08:20 PM
I've stayed at several Disney resorts (All Star Music, Wilderness Lodge, BoardWalk Inn, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Pop Century) and I've been lucky enough to only have one really negative experience.

Honestly, I was much more upset by the way the manager treated us than by the noise. We later figured out that it must've been a short in the exhaust fan, so we let the front desk know so that they could fix it. I just couldn't stand the way I was treated. It's not like we asked for anything other than a nice, quiet room.

I'm sorry that you were treated that way. There could have been a million different reasons other than your request--maybe he had a personal crisis or had just been yelled at by another guest with the same concern and was fed up with the problems. I have no idea, but I'm glad your other experiences went well. I've usually had a good experiences at Disney as well with the rare, occasional mishap. :flower:

MaryKatesMom
12-28-2004, 06:36 PM
The only other thing I can think of was the run around we got waiting for our room at GF. If they had just told us it wouldn't be ready until 5pm but we kept checking back.

Dumb I know but each time, they apologized and said it would just be a half hour, they talked to housekeeping, etc. We had wanted to go to the pool but our suits were in the luggage so thats why we kept checking back. That afternoon was one of only two warm days so we really wanted to swim that afternoon.

I just wished they had said - go to a park there is no way it will be ready - I wouldn't have been so dissappointed.

drgnfly30
12-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Ants Ants Everywhere at CR this past November.... They were even crawling up the buildings vertical walls outside of our balcony
Christine

ufgator
12-28-2004, 07:31 PM
One time at CSR. It was extremely noisy to the point where it was miserable staying there. There was goo on the bedspread. We put the bedspread in the corner, hoping mousekeeping would notice. Instead, they just put the bedspread right back on the bed. Gross. When my husband spoke with the manager, all they did was take off one food court charge. Sometimes it isn't the problem itself, but the way the CMs handle it.

Stepharoonie!
12-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Hate to be gross, but when we checked into our room at WL there was a "skidmark" on the toilet seat. Yuk!!
:crazy2:

BelleChick
12-29-2004, 01:58 AM
Value resorts ... ick! Okay, in all fairness- All Star Sports ... ick! It reminded me of a glorified Projects. The carpet was grubby. Didn't want to take off my shoes. And the bathroom with the dormitory type shower. Give me a break! And no matter what time of the day or evening, mobs of people at the bus stop. Never again! And you couldn't pay me to stay at the Contemporary either.

I totally agree!!! I stayed at all star movies :guilty: NEVER AGAIN!!! There was this nasty smell outside at certain times of the day, and there was a kid peeing in the bushes outside the pool! Gross

Ladyhawke10
12-29-2004, 10:19 AM
The only other thing I can think of was the run around we got waiting for our room at GF. If they had just told us it wouldn't be ready until 5pm but we kept checking back.

Dumb I know but each time, they apologized and said it would just be a half hour, they talked to housekeeping, etc. We had wanted to go to the pool but our suits were in the luggage so thats why we kept checking back. That afternoon was one of only two warm days so we really wanted to swim that afternoon.

I just wished they had said - go to a park there is no way it will be ready - I wouldn't have been so dissappointed.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me at the Yacht Club. We called at 11am to transfer to the YC from the Wilderness Lodge and was told our room was ready. We get over there around noon and find out we are in a handicapped room (my toddler needed a bathtub) so we have to change. The CM says another room should be ready momentarily and to wait in the lobby, he'll tell us when its done, and he's called housekeeping. Well, hours go by...we keep checking back at the front desk about every half hour and keep getting told "It's not ready yet, but should be very soon." That's why we kept hanging around because we had all our carry-on luggage, including the video camera and such, that I didn't really want to check in w/ bell services and I kept hearing it would be any moment. Finally, when it was about 4 o'clock, past check-in time, the manager upgrades us so we can get a room. It was nice to be upgraded but why the misinformation about the time the room is ready? Why have us hang around like that?

Taryn
12-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I’ve stayed at the French Quarter, Riverside, Old Key West, Caribbean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Wilderness Lodge. I have always been happy at Disney resorts. Also stayed at the Dolphin and I wouldn’t take the chance again. The last visit was pretty poor. The first room I was given was right behind one of the fountains on the roof and right outside my window there was a flat piece of roof with some big air-conditioning units. It looked like maybe they were replacing something and there were workmen all about and building materials piled up and leaning on the window. It was really noisy with all the banging and you couldn’t even really see out though all the big metal pieces. But these guys could all see in! I called down and they said the work would be finished by the end of the week but it was only Monday so asked to be moved. They told me to come back down with my key card so I dragged my luggage back. It didn’t help that I arrived with bronchitis and really wanted to rest for a bit. They gave me another room and I dragged my stuff back up again. This room was still above the construction but higher so I thought it would be okay. Then I saw that there was no fridge in the cabinet. I could see this because the door was hanging by one hinge and you could see right in. There was water all over the shelf so I guess the fridge broke and they took it out. It smelled pretty bad too. The garbage can was filled with cigarette butts. Housekeeping must have dumped a few rooms worth in that can because there was about two cups full in there. So I went to use the phone again when I noticed… no nice way to say this… throw up down the side of the bed, on the bed skirt and some dried in a puddle on the floor. No wonder it smelled so bad in there. Okay, told to come back downstairs. By now I am really feeling ill so I asked if they could maybe just direct me to another room from here. The said they’d call right back. I waited there for about forty minutes and then called back and waited in the hall away from the smell. Gave up and whet downstairs again. They told me the only other thing they could give me was something called a parlor room but that it was on the concierge floor and exact words here… “you are never to go into that lounge, you haven’t paid for it and you will be asked to leave.” It would have never occurred to me to use it anyway. So I get to the “parlor room” and it turns out that what it is is the living room portion of a suite with the door locked to the bedroom part. It had a bed that could be pulled down from the wall so you were only about four inches off the floor. Yes, it had a kind of living room in it but the floor bed really took up most of it. I called one more time really feeling like I was being a pain but the bed was really very uncomfortable. It was just a thin mattress on pieces of metal. I called once more and they had totally had it with me. She said “look, I have a whole hotel here full of rooms, just what is going to make you happy?” I said just a clean room with a normal bed is all I want. She said that that is what I had and if I still wanted to move tomorrow I could call back then. I crashed at that point. I decided to stay. I really didn’t want to fight anymore. Housekeeping didn’t come for three days so I finally phoned and they did come for the last two days.

A few little things happened after that, no big deal but I felt so unwelcome there. I found a purse someone left sitting beside a sofa in the lobby. I took it to the concierge counter. No thank you, they just told me I should have left it there because if anything was missing I could be blamed. Would you believe I saw another bag left in the lobby later in the week? I left it there this time but I felt really bad about it. I hope whoever lost it got it back. I was just too afraid of being accused of something terrible to touch it or even mention it. It didn’t feel like the happiest place on earth anymore.

The only other tiny thing that happened was a Tubbi’s later. I ordered a cheeseburger with bacon but I didn’t want the fries. The cook there said that since they always charged for the fries he would give me a ticket for the combo and I would pay the full price but omit the fries and put bacon on so I did not pay again. Yay! Finally a little touch of magic. I paid and waited for my order to go. When the person came out with my container I was told that the cook had no right to do that and that I needed to give them $1.50 for the bacon.

Wow, I have never told that story because I usually come here to feel better and read nice things. Well, the OP asked for it and darn it… I do feel better now! Also when people post negative things a lot of people seem to assume that the person complaining has maybe made their own bed so to speak by perhaps being argumentative or hostile and prompting hostility in return. I assure you I am as quiet and polite as they come. Even though I was sick I was so happy to be there and all smiles and thank yous. I am sure it is possible to have a lovely stay at the Dolphin but for me, it is just too much money to take that chance again. Anybody want about three days worth of Starwood points?

TaurusSES_Sport
12-29-2004, 01:21 PM
All these stories, im nervous about our first time to the world... :earseek:

addicted_to_WDW
12-29-2004, 01:25 PM
I feel a little ripped off because I can't think of a bad experience! There was a trip a few years back to POR when we didn't get a seat on the bus the entire trip because transportation was so slow and lacking.

We once saw a cup in the bushes at POFQ that was there for the entire week. Other than that, everything has been positive.

Taryn
12-29-2004, 01:27 PM
TaurusSES_Sport,

Oh please don't be nervous! My experience was once out of about twelve stays. Chances are good you will be treated very well. I have been really happy all of the other times. Rooms ready early, great housekeepers, beautiful views from standard rooms. The housekeepers at French Quarter were I think trying to bury my dresser beneath piles of free coffee pakages and the ones at Wilderness Lodge when they found out how much I liked the hand lotion... well lets just say I haven't had to buy any since! You are probably in for a real treat.

Disney Doll
12-29-2004, 06:30 PM
We have stayed at BC, BCV, BW, BWV, WL, VWL, OKW, CSR, POR, POFQ,CBR. I can honestly say that except for a couple of rude CMs here and there, we have never had a major problem that I can recall. On those occasions when there has been a minor "glitch" with the room, it has been repaired quickly when we called.

We do not stay at the Value Resorts because DH and I do not sleep comfortably together in a double bed, and they are value resorts, therefore some corners may be cut in construction or amenities to give the "value". That is not a put-down of the value resorts or the people who do stay in them. It is an observation. You can't expect a hotel where the rooms cost $79-$100/night to give you the same amenities as a hotel where the rooms are $200+ per night.

Cass
12-29-2004, 10:41 PM
All these stories, im nervous about our first time to the world... :earseek:

Don't be.... you should not have even read this thread ;)

I am certain you will have a wonderful stay at YC & AKL Concierge.. can't wait to read your report when you are home!

tiggersmom2
12-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I’ve stayed at the French Quarter, Riverside, Old Key West, Caribbean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Wilderness Lodge. I have always been happy at Disney resorts. Also stayed at the Dolphin and I wouldn’t take the chance again. The last visit was pretty poor. The first room I was given was right behind one of the fountains on the roof and right outside my window there was a flat piece of roof with some big air-conditioning units. It looked like maybe they were replacing something and there were workmen all about and building materials piled up and leaning on the window. It was really noisy with all the banging and you couldn’t even really see out though all the big metal pieces. But these guys could all see in! I called down and they said the work would be finished by the end of the week but it was only Monday so asked to be moved. They told me to come back down with my key card so I dragged my luggage back. It didn’t help that I arrived with bronchitis and really wanted to rest for a bit. They gave me another room and I dragged my stuff back up again. This room was still above the construction but higher so I thought it would be okay. Then I saw that there was no fridge in the cabinet. I could see this because the door was hanging by one hinge and you could see right in. There was water all over the shelf so I guess the fridge broke and they took it out. It smelled pretty bad too. The garbage can was filled with cigarette butts. Housekeeping must have dumped a few rooms worth in that can because there was about two cups full in there. So I went to use the phone again when I noticed… no nice way to say this… throw up down the side of the bed, on the bed skirt and some dried in a puddle on the floor. No wonder it smelled so bad in there. Okay, told to come back downstairs. By now I am really feeling ill so I asked if they could maybe just direct me to another room from here. The said they’d call right back. I waited there for about forty minutes and then called back and waited in the hall away from the smell. Gave up and whet downstairs again. They told me the only other thing they could give me was something called a parlor room but that it was on the concierge floor and exact words here… “you are never to go into that lounge, you haven’t paid for it and you will be asked to leave.” It would have never occurred to me to use it anyway. So I get to the “parlor room” and it turns out that what it is is the living room portion of a suite with the door locked to the bedroom part. It had a bed that could be pulled down from the wall so you were only about four inches off the floor. Yes, it had a kind of living room in it but the floor bed really took up most of it. I called one more time really feeling like I was being a pain but the bed was really very uncomfortable. It was just a thin mattress on pieces of metal. I called once more and they had totally had it with me. She said “look, I have a whole hotel here full of rooms, just what is going to make you happy?” I said just a clean room with a normal bed is all I want. She said that that is what I had and if I still wanted to move tomorrow I could call back then. I crashed at that point. I decided to stay. I really didn’t want to fight anymore. Housekeeping didn’t come for three days so I finally phoned and they did come for the last two days.

A few little things happened after that, no big deal but I felt so unwelcome there. I found a purse someone left sitting beside a sofa in the lobby. I took it to the concierge counter. No thank you, they just told me I should have left it there because if anything was missing I could be blamed. Would you believe I saw another bag left in the lobby later in the week? I left it there this time but I felt really bad about it. I hope whoever lost it got it back. I was just too afraid of being accused of something terrible to touch it or even mention it. It didn’t feel like the happiest place on earth anymore.

The only other tiny thing that happened was a Tubbi’s later. I ordered a cheeseburger with bacon but I didn’t want the fries. The cook there said that since they always charged for the fries he would give me a ticket for the combo and I would pay the full price but omit the fries and put bacon on so I did not pay again. Yay! Finally a little touch of magic. I paid and waited for my order to go. When the person came out with my container I was told that the cook had no right to do that and that I needed to give them $1.50 for the bacon.

Wow, I have never told that story because I usually come here to feel better and read nice things. Well, the OP asked for it and darn it… I do feel better now! Also when people post negative things a lot of people seem to assume that the person complaining has maybe made their own bed so to speak by perhaps being argumentative or hostile and prompting hostility in return. I assure you I am as quiet and polite as they come. Even though I was sick I was so happy to be there and all smiles and thank yous. I am sure it is possible to have a lovely stay at the Dolphin but for me, it is just too much money to take that chance again. Anybody want about three days worth of Starwood points?

Oh my Good Lord!!!! :earseek: If this were a contest.....you would win HANDS DOWN!!!! I was going to post that I haven't ever had ANY horrible experiences.....the only "not good" one was when I couldn't get my air-conditioner to go below 70 degrees at the All Star Sports. After reading these......I can see I have NEVER had a bad experience at WDW!!!!! :earseek:

phanomouse
12-30-2004, 01:21 AM
I have written this story quite a bit on here so I will give the short version. Staying Concierge level at the Dolphin, Pipe breaks in the ceiling above our sink. Brown smelly water leaks out all over the wall and soaks the floor all the way up to about a foot away from the bed. For 4 days we called and asked them to fix it/move us to another room, anything. They would come clean it and say they fixed it but never did. One night it was pouring out of the ceiling and we call down at about 8pm. They asked us to leave the room for about an hour which was not a problem we were on our way out. At 11pm we return to so much water that its visible on top of the carpet. We call down and they apologize and ask if we would like to come have some drinks on them while they fix the room. We went to the pool and laid around and then went to back up because my wife was dead tired. They still hadn't come so I called the front desk and told them we demanded a room change, as I am on the phone I look over at my suit case that was on the floor in the closet and it is soaked. They insist that they have no openings and they would be up in just a second and started to ask if we could leave the room. I told them we wouldn't not because of the time and that I would be waiting. At about 3 am I gave up and went to sleep. They refused to move us the rest of the trip, we could not find an open room in any of the disney hotels... They never compensated us, never offered to dry clean/clean any of my cloths that got soaked in this nasty water. Ticked me off.

JoiseyMom
12-30-2004, 10:38 AM
I have written this story quite a bit on here so I will give the short version. Staying Concierge level at the Dolphin, Pipe breaks in the ceiling above our sink. Brown smelly water leaks out all over the wall and soaks the floor all the way up to about a foot away from the bed. For 4 days we called and asked them to fix it/move us to another room, anything. They would come clean it and say they fixed it but never did. One night it was pouring out of the ceiling and we call down at about 8pm. They asked us to leave the room for about an hour which was not a problem we were on our way out. At 11pm we return to so much water that its visible on top of the carpet. We call down and they apologize and ask if we would like to come have some drinks on them while they fix the room. We went to the pool and laid around and then went to back up because my wife was dead tired. They still hadn't come so I called the front desk and told them we demanded a room change, as I am on the phone I look over at my suit case that was on the floor in the closet and it is soaked. They insist that they have no openings and they would be up in just a second and started to ask if we could leave the room. I told them we wouldn't not because of the time and that I would be waiting. At about 3 am I gave up and went to sleep. They refused to move us the rest of the trip, we could not find an open room in any of the disney hotels... They never compensated us, never offered to dry clean/clean any of my cloths that got soaked in this nasty water. Ticked me off.

If I was in your shoes, and had paid by credit card, as I always do. I would have fought the room charges. I hope you followed up and escalated the problem up the ladder, above the manager level. I had a customer service problem with a retail company, and actually called the president of the company. My problem was resolved and then some. You just need to reach the correct person. There is no excuse for the horrible service you recieved.