PDA

View Full Version : just back - MVMCP 12/17 until 12/22 evening at Poly GVC

jillhou
12-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Just back from WDW and Poly.

Did the MVMCP on a sold out night.
Ate at CRT, Prime-Time and Poly Luau and various counter service and Poly concierge lounge.
Went to all 4 parks.
Rode monorail, busses and boats.

Had a good time - any questions or comments? Happy to help!

Yacht Club Guy
12-23-2004, 11:48 PM
I am not a fan of the polly (theming, staff, rooms, ect.). I have never been to the place though. Can you tell me if it is worth paying the extra cash? Are there any resorts you enjoy better than the polly? What are your complaints? I heard the rooms are out-dated, are they? Also, can you give us a bit of a trip report, if it's possible?
Thanks!
:wave: Bye :wave:

Ilovestitch
12-24-2004, 01:57 AM
I am not a fan of the polly (theming, staff, rooms, ect.). I have never been to the place though. Can you tell me if it is worth paying the extra cash? Are there any resorts you enjoy better than the polly? What are your complaints? I heard the rooms are out-dated, are they? Also, can you give us a bit of a trip report, if it's possible?
Thanks!
:wave: Bye :wave:

I just stayed there 12/16 to 12/20 and the rooms were so far from outdated. Everything in the room looked brand new and was spotless. I don't know how the rooms could look outdated- I stayed in Fiji, which I believe was rehabbed in 2002. More recent than a lot of the other resorts. The CMs are super friendly. I didn't have any complaints- the Polynesian is my new favorite resort.

jillhou
12-24-2004, 05:54 AM
The Poly is my favorite resort. We love the theming and grounds. I would enjoy the rooms a bit better if the colors were a bit brighter and fresher looking, but our room was very clean, furniture was in great shape. I love the torches all lit up at night. The staff is wonderful - very friendly.

We arrived earlier than expected - about 1 in the afternoon. Didn't expect the room to be ready, but it was. Bellman took us directly to the Hawaii building and took our luggage to the room while we checked in. Kids went directly upstairs to get snacks and drinks. After changing clothes, we went and ate at the Kona cafe - good food, reasonable prices. We ate asian pasta, burger, seafood pasta (I think), salad, and something off the children's menu. Went over to the MVMCP and stayed until about midnight. Crowds were ok, cookies were good, cocoa was terrible, good time was had by all.

Went to MGM the next day; ate at 50s PT and enjoyed it very much.
Did MK every evening when crowds were very light.
Went to AK and Epcot. Ate at CRT for breakfast, but son was disappointed - no Jasmine! HA!

All in all - GREAT trip. No real complaints at all.

Is Poly worth extra money? Probably not for you - if you don't enjoy the theming - I wouldn't bother to stay there. We don't care for Yacht and Beach Club so wouldn't stay there either. We love Poly for convenience purposes - the monorail is GREAT! Walking to the TTC is easy, too. Just lots of options from the Poly. Have to go back in April to chaperone HS choir. Not sure how I am going to survive staying at All Star Music!!! I am soooo spoiled! My son is suggesting I get a room at the Poly and they kids can all come crash at my place if they need a break during the day - he really is just trying to figure out how he can get back up to Chef Dick in the concierge lounge! (In fact, Chef Dick told him when we left to just come over that weekend we are there and follow someone in to the building and come up and see him! HA! - chef Dick is GREAT!)

So again - nope - the Poly probably ISN'T worth it for you.....don't pay the extra money for theming you don't like. That would be silly and a waste of money!

Tikiman
12-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the report jillhou. Glad you had a good time. What do you think would make the room brighter? The color on the wall is a very light tan. The only thing brighter would be white but I myself donít see white as going with the theme. I am just curious to your suggestions. It will be interesting to see the new design finished in the rooms in the next 2 years but from the test room I saw it was not getting brighter but more like the AKL room colors.

Welcome home.

Yacht Club Guy,

I lovestitch is correct. There is nothing in the rooms that is older than 2 or 3 years with an exception of Tokelau, Tahiti and Rapa Nui who still had soft rehabs in 2001 and 2002 and even the design of the rooms was updated in 1998. Nothing from the original resort is still in the rooms so how can they be outdated. That is just a comment by those who donít like the theme or like to post bad about the resort say. Infact I went through the whole resort and there was not one area of the resort I can trace back to the original opening of the resort. Everything from the new pool, rooms outsides of every building, lobby, landscaping, paths, lighting, luau, restaurants has been replaced within the last few years or less than 10 years. The only thing I could say you can see that is original is the parking lot, boat dock and upper supports on the GCH which were painted in the last few years. Even the quiet pool built in the mid 80 was redone last year.

Like jillhou said if you do not like the theme than it is not a good choice. The Yacht Club is another favorite of mine so maybe stick with what you enjoy. I donít see the Polynesian ever changing the resort to get away from the theme or to make the few who donít like the theme want to stay there. They have plenty of business to not have to change the look.

Have a good Holiday all

Steve

Pattymouse
12-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Tikiman,

I LOVE the way you describe things!

Pat

susannelson
12-25-2004, 10:18 AM
I just returned from an 8 night stay at POR then 8 nights at POLY then Disney Cruise. I stayed in Samoa room 2604. I thought the room looked very old. The TV was old and very small. There was no coffee pot like in the POR and they said that there wouldn't be one in the room untill 2005 so I had to request one. The carpet looked kinda old and dirty. The bed spread was ancient. It was very thin and used looking. The toilet paper holder was caked with dust. I didn't think it was worth the extra money. My family and I enjoyed the POR better. No towel animals at the POR but very nice ones at the POLY.

Tikiman
12-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Susan,

I am sorry you got that impression. The fact is that when I was there in August this year all the bedspreads were being replaced with new ones. I saw the new ones being delivered to Samoa and Niue on my walk around the resort. Also Samoa just opened back up in 2003 from being gutted and the carpets were replaced so they are less than 2 years old. The TV is the only thing that is still from the renovation done in 1998 but that will also be replaced in the next year or 2 but it sounds like you won't be back anyway. If there was that much wear in your room it is hard to blame the Polynesian for guest abuse. I don't believe they should have to renovate the rooms every year.

Sorry you did not like the room but the fact is that the rooms are not old unless you consider less than 2 years too old for a room.

susannelson
12-25-2004, 11:57 AM
If that bedspread was new I will eat my Santa Hat!!!! I was told by the front desk that my room was going to be renovated in 2005 that was why no fridge or coffee maker in my room and I needed to request one. There was a fridge right in front of my door when I arrived. I tripped on it twice and bruised my shin. Finally I figured I would call and have it put in my room since noone was going to move it. No I won't be back to the POLY. I have a Condo in Maui that will give me that "feel" just fine. I will however go back to the POR. My kids are already missing the Piano Man. Happy Holidays.

Tikiman
12-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Don't get upset at me for stating facts. Yes they were all being delivered to the rooms when I was there in August. I was in Samoa when they were unwrapping them and yes the rooms were all renovated 2 years ago. The renovations coming up in 2006 are for the new decore.

Sorry to upset you. You don't have to like the Polynesian. It won't bother me a bit.

I think we have taken this off the original posters topic enough since all they were trying to do is post a report.

Aloha

Steve

susannelson
12-25-2004, 08:22 PM
I am not upset at you or the Polynesian. I only stated the true facts. I own furnished rental properties in California and Hawaii and understand the importance of keeping furnishings up to date and clean. I have lugged many bedspreads to Maui to replace the older ones. My condo is at the Mahana. I wouldn't be upset in the least if you were my neighbor.
Aloha,
Susan

jillhou
12-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Tikiman - by 'brighter' I would suppose I mean less muted - less browns. The wall color was fine. The colors are all very soft, muted, earth tones. Just not my idea of paradise colors - I would go for slightly brighter colors, but certainly would not want the room screaming color.

I have been to the Poly several times - so obviously it doesn't bother me enough to stop going! HA!

We had no problems with our room at all. Coffee pot was present, linens were clean and in good shape.

We all have our different ideas about what we like and what we expect. We enjoyed POR many years ago, but know it would be too small for my family now. We also don't like to stay anywhere that doesn't have at least queen sized beds (we have a king at home) or we don't sleep as well.

The Poly isn't for everyone. I have a hard enough time getting my room at a discount - seems to me, the more that don't like it - the better for me! HA! Just kidding.....

Aloha