PDA

View Full Version : Airline Employee Discounts for 2005??? Are there any?

hopetoseedisney
12-23-2004, 01:44 PM
I know in the last two years, they have offered up to 50% off if you stay on site, and I know there are a few details that have to be followed such as faxing a copy of a letter or verification of employment to prove you qualify for the airline employee discount. Can someone tell me if everything is the same for 2005?? I'm not holding my breath -- we've rescheduled this trip for the last two years (due to my father's health issues) and my dh insists that we push ourselves to go in February since things seem to be on course once again (my dad is recovering from his 4th surgery in 18 months, and had chemo/radiation, and though the cancer is gone right now, he has no more follow up appointments for the next four months *hopefully* :goodvibes ). We are planning to go the week after President's Day weekend. Thanks.

goin2disneyagain
12-23-2004, 09:22 PM
I just called to ask them and they said they are available for all of 2005 so yes they are still offering them.

minnie1928
12-24-2004, 06:51 PM
My husband works for UPS and swears that they are considered an airline! Is he full of it or not?

KerryCM
12-24-2004, 07:48 PM
My daughter-in-law works for Delta and she and my son have reservations for next Oct. with her discount. She got 50% off.
I do know that she just has to show her ID badge when she checks in.

hopetoseedisney
12-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. KerryCM -- my husband also works for Delta, but we were told that we have to fax in some kind of proof besides his id badge -- we had to get a verification of employment letter, fax that in within 30 days (I think) of the date we made our ressie, and then dh still has to bring his badge with him when we check in. The reason I know this, is the first time we made ressies, we were told that they were cancelled a month later because they never received the verification. We were never told at the time of the initial ressie that we had to fax such a verification. I haven't called yet to see if it's still required -- guess I'll do that tomorrow. Glad to hear about the 50% off though, as it will make our trip more affordable.
Minnie -- you might call and check on that. I'm no expert, but from what I understand, airline employees get what is sometimes referred to as an interline rate or non-rev rate -- which is also affiliated with people who are in the travel industry such as those who work for a cruise ship, hotel, etc. But, I've never heard of UPS being referred to as an airline, but as I said, I am no expert. I am so surprised at how many times I've just simply asked if a discount was given to an airline employee or his family members, and I've been told "yes".......so it doesn't hurt to ask.

KerryCM
12-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Thanks, I will have to let Carri know that. This past Oct. I just made the reservations for 3 rooms with my CM discount, but on their honeymoon 3 yrs. agao she just had to show up with her badge. I do know thay had to pay the amount in full 28 days before arrival then.

hopetoseedisney
12-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks KerryCm -- paying for the room so many days in advance was another requirement that they also didn't tell us when we made our first ressie. I said I was going to call today, but *duh* didn't realize it was Christmas Day....so I will wait until Monday to call, and will post and let you know what I find out. Thanks for reminding me!

totalia
12-25-2004, 03:42 PM
I know in the last two years, they have offered up to 50% off if you stay on site, and I know there are a few details that have to be followed such as faxing a copy of a letter or verification of employment to prove you qualify for the airline employee discount. Can someone tell me if everything is the same for 2005?? I'm not holding my breath -- we've rescheduled this trip for the last two years (due to my father's health issues) and my dh insists that we push ourselves to go in February since things seem to be on course once again (my dad is recovering from his 4th surgery in 18 months, and had chemo/radiation, and though the cancer is gone right now, he has no more follow up appointments for the next four months *hopefully* :goodvibes ). We are planning to go the week after President's Day weekend. Thanks.
Here's a suggestion.

Call Disney and ask.

goin2disneyagain
12-27-2004, 01:01 PM
The newest policy that became effective about a year ago is that you have to fax an official letter on company letterhead and and make final payment 45 days out from the arrival date. You used to be able to just show your ID only when you checked in but that changed. I am an airline employee and have had to do this on my last 3 trips. I go at least once a year. As I stated in my earlier response, I called WDW and asked if they were still giving the discounts for 2005 and they said yes.

hopetoseedisney
12-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Here's a suggestion.

Call Disney and ask.
Thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes: If you see my post just above yours, I said I was going to call on Monday, and if you see my original post, I had posted in the afternoon on Dec 23, and didn't think that they would be open until today due to the holiday weekend. Thanks going2disneyagain for posting the correct information on procedure. I had not had a chance to call, and just saw this update to my original post. :flower1:

DISFANSHAN
12-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Anyone know if Disney will still be offering discounts on passes to travel agents with the new MYW tickets? :rockband:

Bride In The Attic
12-27-2004, 02:08 PM
I booked mine last week.....even had my choice of dates at the Poly....I asked about adding the MYW package to the airline employee rate and was told to call back in January and ask....their lips are sealed until January 2nd..

And, to confirm..yes, same procedures as prior years...fax letter on company letterhead and a copy of your id...

sometimes it does pay to be part of the travel industry!!

DISFANSHAN
12-27-2004, 02:58 PM
did you just book the hotel? I would only need passes but can't order mine until January because I already ordered a 7day hopper this year, and we are allowed only one per year at the travel industry discount rate.

So they told you to call back in January in regards to discounts on the MYW tickets? Then I assume that means they will still be giving us discount rates on passes only??!!!??

BevS97
12-27-2004, 03:46 PM
AArgh, makes me wish I still worked for an airline. When I did, I used to ask for 'travel industry discount' so that may well cover UPS, although I can't see how it's travel industry, but I have heard they have their own airline, so maybe???? Can't hurt to ask can it.

Bride In The Attic
12-27-2004, 04:00 PM
did you just book the hotel? I would only need passes but can't order mine until January because I already ordered a 7day hopper this year, and we are allowed only one per year at the travel industry discount rate.

So they told you to call back in January in regards to discounts on the MYW tickets? Then I assume that means they will still be giving us discount rates on passes only??!!!??

Yes, I booked room only for now.

The past few years they have allowed us to keep our discounted rooms and add on packages (ie Dream Maker). I'm not sure if they will allow us to do this with the new MYW package - I don't think they know either - that's why I was told to call back after 1/2/05.

I'm not aware of any travel industry discounts on passes for airline emplyees (me) only for travel agents..we only get room discounts.

Just like everyone else I'm waiting to see if we can add on MYW to discounted room ressies...

DISFANSHAN
12-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the info!!

babyblues68
12-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Minnie1928.

I'd say UPS probably would get the discount. We work for Fedex and get it. Check with your management to see if you get interline benefits....(airline employees and family benefits). There are a few interline companies you can get the discount and let them do the work.

Tammy

Crjmom
01-07-2005, 11:31 AM
When you call to make your reservation using an airline discount did you just have to give one nights deposit for the reservation and the remaining due 45 days upon arrival?? Just wanting to know before I call. We go at least twice a year, but didn't have the dates we needed for the airline discount on our last trip so I used a code. And since then I knew the rules have changed a bit. We use to only have to show our airline ID upon check-in. Plan on going in Oct. for fall break and want to go ahead and make reservations today, but wanted to make sure I don't have to pay but for one nights deposit. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input. Thanks!!

goin2disneyagain
01-07-2005, 02:14 PM
When you call to make your reservation using an airline discount did you just have to give one nights deposit for the reservation and the remaining due 45 days upon arrival?? Just wanting to know before I call. We go at least twice a year, but didn't have the dates we needed for the airline discount on our last trip so I used a code. And since then I knew the rules have changed a bit. We use to only have to show our airline ID upon check-in. Plan on going in Oct. for fall break and want to go ahead and make reservations today, but wanted to make sure I don't have to pay but for one nights deposit. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input. Thanks!!

I had to give a $200 deposit. I received my confirmation in the mail today and it says fmy final payment is due 45 days from arrival. It used to be that we only had to present our ID upon check-in but the rules changed around Oct. 2002.

gwtw428
01-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know if family members get the airline discount as well?? My father-in-law works for Delta..we have ID cards and we also travel on his buddy passes.....
Thanks
Jamie

goin2disneyagain
01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Does anyone know if family members get the airline discount as well?? My father-in-law works for Delta..we have ID cards and we also travel on his buddy passes.....
Thanks
Jamie

The airline employee has to be staying with you. He can go with you and get up to 2 rooms at his airline employee discount.

Crjmom
01-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Going to call and make my reservations for our Oct. trip at AKL. :D

Bride In The Attic
01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
My interline TA found out today that MYW packages CAN be applied to the discounted rooms!!! Woooohooo!! :cool1:

Crjmom
01-08-2005, 03:03 PM
bridge in the attic: is your interline TA a local TA or do they have a website you use like dreamsunlimited?? Would love to go thru a interline TA since the last time I used dreamsunlimited using our airline discount, but Marla didn't make a commission off our trip and I didn't realize it until after the trip was paid in full. I felt bad that she didn't make any money and did a lot of work for us, therefore, wouldn't use DU again unless I'm acutally using a code. But, Marla is the best in our book as far as TA go. Would love to know the name of your interline TA if you wouldn't mind sharing please?? ALso, thanks for the new info on the add-on options we can use. :D

Bride In The Attic
01-08-2005, 03:35 PM
bridge in the attic: is your interline TA a local TA or do they have a website you use like dreamsunlimited?? Would love to go thru a interline TA since the last time I used dreamsunlimited using our airline discount, but Marla didn't make a commission off our trip and I didn't realize it until after the trip was paid in full. I felt bad that she didn't make any money and did a lot of work for us, therefore, wouldn't use DU again unless I'm acutally using a code. But, Marla is the best in our book as far as TA go. Would love to know the name of your interline TA if you wouldn't mind sharing please?? ALso, thanks for the new info on the add-on options we can use. :D

Sure - I just pm'd you...

Bride In The Attic
01-08-2005, 04:24 PM
My interline TA found out today that MYW packages CAN be applied to the discounted rooms!!! Woooohooo!! :cool1:

My TA just called to book my package and now Disney is saying no to adding on the dining....jeesh....she said we'd try again in a few weeks and see what answer we get.... :rolleyes:

Crjmom
01-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks you for the info. Geez, too bad on the add-ons, but maybe they will change their minds again.lol Guess they still have a lot of "bugs" to work out.