PDA

View Full Version : Edit: Originally posted 12/07/2004) Today's (Tuesday) DVC Member Mixer -- with photos

Caskbill
12-07-2004, 10:59 PM
We went to the 1st DVC Merry Member Mixer today. As you probably know this will be every Tuesday in December, 2004, from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. It's located outside the Epcot International Gateway entrance, in the canapy area where the shuttle trams use to load and unload back in the days when trams use to run between Swan-Dolphin and Epcot.

It was very nice with many DVC cast members there, lots of tables set up and several 'dessert' tables all around. The dessert tables included an assortment of cookies, lemonade, apple cider, and cold water. (Later we went to DD and saw the same cookies for sale there at $1.95 each. These cookies at the mixer were big!)

There was a door prize of an absolutely huge gift basket full of DVC things. By huge, I mean it was about 3 feet high. We don't know who won because the drawing was to be held after the mixer closed. Upon entering you filled out a card giving your name, phone, current resort you're staying at, and room number. The winner would be getting the basket delivered to their room. Guess we didn't win because no one has shown up yet here at our room at VWL. :guilty:

There was entertainment also consisting of a Dickens Character quartet singing Christmas songs, and a String Quartet that played Christmas music. Mickey and Minnie were there also, dressed in their Christmas season garb, along with Goofy as Santa Claus, and Pluto, dressed as always -- plain ole' pluto. There were also a couple of santa's 'elves' mixing around and checking who was naughty and who was nice. I gave them my wish list for Christmas: 200 more DVC points. :wizard:

They also had an extensive display of pins, including limited edition ones. Just for information, there will be new DVC pins for the year 2005 with the first one being released in February, the 2nd one in May. Also of interest members will be able to purchase pins online, including the limited edition ones.

Finally, everyone got a DVC 'gift' upon leaving, a very nice Disney Vacation Club key ring, inside a nice red velvet pouch.

We were able to meet with several DISers at the event at different tables, and had great conversations about everything Disney, DVC, and DIS.

In all, it was a very nice member 'mixer'. DVC plans to do this annually. I took a number of photos and several are posted below. Can only recommend that if you're going to be here in December, be sure to try to make it to one of the Tuesday mixers. It was a very nice couple of hours.

Bill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/Entrance.jpg
The entrance to the Mixer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/MemberMixer.jpg
The DVC Member Mixer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/DessertTable.jpg
One of the cookies table

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/DickensCarolers.jpg
The Dickens Carolers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/DISers.jpg
One of the groups of DISers at the mixer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/Caskbill.jpg
Caskbill with DW and Goofy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/KeyRing.jpg
The Key Ring given to everyone who attended

dianeschlicht
12-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Yes, we too thought the mixer was great! Maybe even better because so many DVC/DIS folks were there! We left fairly early because we had a dinner PS for Artist Point. Looks like we didn't win the gift basket either! Oh well, it would have been difficult to get home anyway!

WDWLVR
12-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Very cool - thanks for the preview. We'll be there on the 28th!

Maistre Gracey
12-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Looks like a lot of fun! Wish we could be there!

Thanx for the pics... :cool:

MG

Bracho
12-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Great preview and pictures.. many thanks!

dallastxcpa
12-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Great preview and pictures, thank you for posting them. We are so looking forward to the Mixer on the 21st. :cool1:

Tarheel Tink
12-08-2004, 07:26 AM
It sounds nice! Are guests allowed at all? We will be there next week and will have 2 friends with us.

Scratch42
12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the great pics! and the information!

Will definately have to make sure we are there!

Scratch

AnnaS
12-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks for posting your pre-view and pictures. I think it's great that they have events like these. An extra small fix for us. Wishing we were there too, of course. :teleport:

Kerlynne
12-08-2004, 08:40 AM
We just received our mixer invitation in the mail yesterday . :rolleyes: Are there others that receive mailings late? Wonder why that happens? I was also wondering, if you need to show your DVC membership card, otherwise, nothing is stopping anyone to stop by, right? Bill, I'm so glad you posted this because we are hoping to spend some time there on Tuesday, before we attend the MVMCP, I'm even more excited now! :cool1: whoo hoo!!! . :cheer2:

bobbiwoz
12-08-2004, 09:27 AM
We just got our invitation yesterday as well, and we want to go on Dec. 21st! Unfortunately, we can only stay a short bit because we have PS at 4:10 (I'm going to see if we can wiggle a little bit later), shucks, but we will be there!

Bobbi :Pinkbounc

tjkraz
12-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Anyone know if guests would be welcome? Sounds like a nice event, but we'll have family (non-members) with us next week. While I don't want to take advantage of the system if it truly is intended for members only, I also don't want to make for an uncomfortable scene if our family is made to feel unwelcome (or turned away altogether.)

TIA.

Simba's Mom
12-08-2004, 10:56 AM
This looks like so much fun! Why can't they extend it for one extra week (1/4) so I can go? I think it's great!

donmil723
12-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Are the characters there the whole time or do they come and go? We are staying at the BCV and are attending the MVMCP but would like to stop by the Merry Mixer at 3 p.m. for 15-20 minutes. My niece and her family will be with us and I know they would like to see Mickey and Minnie. Thanks!

Donna

JessetheCowgirl
12-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Looks like a fun time!

Thanks for sharing :)

Credit Man
12-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the great review.

Scratch42
12-08-2004, 11:30 AM
We just received our mixer invitation in the mail yesterday . :rolleyes: Are there others that receive mailings late? Wonder why that happens? I was also wondering, if you need to show your DVC membership card, otherwise, nothing is stopping anyone to stop by, right? Bill, I'm so glad you posted this because we are hoping to spend some time there on Tuesday, before we attend the MVMCP, I'm even more excited now! :cool1: whoo hoo!!! . :cheer2:
I still have not received mine but thanks to you guys, know all the details!LOL

Which reminds me, do we have to show the invitation?

Scratch
pirate:

JudithM
12-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Thank you for posting your experience at the Member Mixer. Too bad we were there last week!

LIFERBABE
12-08-2004, 04:38 PM
It looks like a mini Member Homecoming event!

Thank you so much for the report and photos. That looks like alot of fun and great photo ops with the characters. We will definitely be there and may try to hit both since we will be there for 2 weeks.

Happy Birthday Cat
12-08-2004, 04:40 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the great report. Darn it that I missed this event by one week.

In this picture it's very clear who your DW is, but which one are you? We'd love to put a face to the name.

HBC

rocketriter
12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
where the shuttle trams use to load and unload back in the days when trams use to run between Swan-Dolphin and Epcot
So that's what that oval used to be for! My kids thought it was for landing flying saucers (presumably those who wanted to dine at the France pavilion).

Caskbill
12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
It sounds nice! Are guests allowed at all? We will be there next week and will have 2 friends with us.Don't know for sure but don't think that would be a problem. You might just restrict the names you enter in the basket drawing and the departing gifts to just the members and not the guests. Just a thought.

...I was also wondering, if you need to show your DVC membership card, otherwise, nothing is stopping anyone to stop by, right? They didn't ask to see anything. We were at the entrance when they first opened and I did overhear one of the CM's tell the other CM at the gate that they'd just try it on the honor system for now and see if it works out OK. It wouldn't hurt to have your card just in case they do ask for I.D. at the next mixers.

...Anyone know if guests would be welcome? Sounds like a nice event, but we'll have family (non-members) with us next week. While I don't want to take advantage of the system if it truly is intended for members only, I also don't want to make for an uncomfortable scene if our family is made to feel unwelcome (or turned away altogether.)My guess is that guests would be welcomed.

Are the characters there the whole time or do they come and go? .....My niece and her family will be with us and I know they would like to see Mickey and Minnie. Thanks.)There were characters there all the time, but they alternated back and forth. For example Goofy and Pluto were there for 1/2 hour, then they left and Mickey & Minnie stayed for 1/2 hour. They left and Goofy and Pluto came back, and so on. There were always two characters there at all times for the entire 2-hours.

I still have not received mine but thanks to you guys, know all the details!LOL Which reminds me, do we have to show the invitation?)No. To my knowledge most of those there had not received their invitations yet. Some of the DVC resorts had a notice in the handouts you get at checkin, but not all did. We were just lucky to hear about it by word of mouth.

Thanks for the great report. Darn it that I missed this event by one week. In this picture it's very clear who your DW is, but which one are you? We'd love to put a face to the name.HBC, darn, I thought I made it easy. I don't have a lime green ribbon so wore my lime green hat instead. However, now that I look at the photo again I'm a little concerned. Is that tall guy trying to flirt with DW? Hmmmm.

goofy4dvc
12-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks for posting the gret report and wonderful pictures. Really makes me wish I could be there.

FOTM_Ring_Bearer
12-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the great pictures and the info. Wish we could be there.

jmatias
12-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the info and the great pics.

I'm really gonna have to try and get to WDW in December....maybe 2005 :earseek:

tinkerbell of winter
12-09-2004, 03:14 AM
They should have the mixers year round for those of us that don't get to make it down there over the holidays, I think it would be a nice member perk, maybe two or three a month.

rbuzzotta
12-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Sounds like this was much better than the BBQ a few summers back!!

Looked like you all had a blast!!

jimmytammy
12-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Looks like a lot of fun! We will be looking forward to this next Dec.

Ksp
12-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Very cool - thanks for the preview. We'll be there on the 28th!
We'll see you there, WDWLVR, on the 28th! I may not make the 3 pm start - we're taking my mother to tea at the GF at 2:10 that day...make sure to save some cookies for us :cool1:

Thanks for the pictures, Caskbill!! :thewave:

Deesknee
12-09-2004, 10:11 AM
thanks for the report. sounds great. hope we are able to hit it some time.

crcormier
12-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the pics, they were great, and for those who are going to it on next Tuesday, the 14th, I'll see y'all there!!! :) :Pinkbounc

Johnnie Fedora
12-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Nice to see a member event without a huge fee associated with it. I hope DVC makes these types of mixers more frequent to allow many more members the opportunity to participate throughout the year. These types of mixers make DVCers feel "special", and also allow DVC the ability to discuss add-ons, etc. Was there a presentation or was the event strictly mixing and snacks?

bjakmom
12-09-2004, 11:16 AM
My DNeph and I were there also - it was great to meet a few fellow DISers !! I had my DVC card in my hand as I approached the entrance, so I don't know if they would have asked to see it if I hadn't been holding it, but I would definitely bring it with me. Yes, guests are welcome - I had checked on that and was told that was why the invitation was worded "bring your family . . . "
It was my first DVC party and a very nice event - my little DNeph kept saying "we'd better not win that basket, we already bought more stuff than we can carry home!" - I reassured him that we could ship it, but it wasn't waiting in our room that night, either ! :smooth: We only stayed for a little while as we were heading out to MVMCP, but did get pics and autographs with Santa Goofy, Pluto (I think he had a big red ribbon around his neck, Bill), and Mickey and Minnie in their holiday finery. They even had a picture spot set up for M&M with one of the professional photographers taking pics (a DVC rep also offered to shoot with my camera - great shots) - they rotated the characters - M&M / Goofy&Pluto - when you see M&M come through the back gate, head to the picture spot, the line formed quickly !! My next stop after the DIS (just got in last night) is to the photo web site to view our pictures - we loved using the new PhotoPass system !!

It was a lot of fun, and you could stay as long as time allowed for you - go and ENJOY !! :smooth:

kathleena
12-09-2004, 01:40 PM
I was there also. It was a nice, low-key event. Fun interactions and nice entertainment. I strolled around but didn't see any DIS pins, so until I saw these pics, I didn't know who anyone was.

Elf: "Jingle Bells, Happy Holidays, What's your name?" (all said monotone with a ho-hum attitude). "Are you naughty or nice?" I tried Nice. Was told I was probably not telling the truth so they would put me down as naughty. I then tried to bargain with them, but was told I still had time to redeem myself by Christmas with a nice deed. The CM portraying the male elf is one of the longer-term World Showcase players. We had just seen him the day before in a Holy Grail session.

Characters were fun as usual.

The guy helping people with the drawing entry was telling everyone their entry "felt like a winner" I went over a few times to remind him that mine was the winner. Well, apparently not, as I came home empty handed.

And the cookes were very good indeed...................

Thanks DVC.

kathleena
12-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Just went back and read more posts.

Goofy and Pluto were the first characters out and they circulated as there were no photographers there yet. Then M&M came out and the line started. It was funny because we all just automatically started to form a line - no one from DVC was directing us. So we joked with a couple of CMs about how we all just automatically start asking "where's the line" and jump to it, we are so well trained by Disney.

Anyway - the lines moved fairly fast.

I just went to view my photos and will comment that the disney photographer did not do a very good job. The human faces are all dark as they were all backlit. So not enough flash under the canopy. My digital photos taken by the CM came out much better.

bjakmom
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Kathleena - I just checked out my photos, too, and only one of the photogs pics was any good - the ones the Rep took on my camera were all great - he even took a few of DNeph interacting with M&M while they signed his autograph book ! I was laughing to myself about the line situation, also, were you in ear shot of the two men arguing about whether one was in line or not?! :rolleyes: - I know WDW is the place to be young at heart, but hey . . . grow up guys !! :smooth:

Love Tigger
12-10-2004, 03:28 PM
DH & I had a wonderful time at the mixer. Got to meet Bill (love the point tracker). We also met up with some of the DISers who were at the SSR meet the day before.

I hope DVC continues to do fun little things like this in the future. It was nice to be able to meet and talk with other DVC members without being sold.

Loved the cookies!

iluvdisney
12-10-2004, 04:47 PM
I found out about it a day too late - we didn't receive any information on such a happening when we checked in so I'm a bit on the sad side about it but sounds like you all had a fun time!

wilderness01
12-10-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm a bit on the sad side as well as I didn't hear anything about it either and we were in WDW on the 7th. Glad the rest of you had a nice time.

Maria395712
12-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I will be there on the 28th I hope I don't forget Iwill check in in the morning from royal pacific at universal, can't wait
maria

kathleena
12-10-2004, 07:36 PM
bjackmom - no I didn't hear that one but I'm sure I would have been :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!!

I had a few of the interacting photos too. It was really nice to see my backside while I hugged Mickey - oh yah, I'm really gonna pay $10 for that one - NOT! Maybe if I still had my cute butt........

MJTinNH
12-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the great report and pictures. Looks like you all had a fun time.

dianeschlicht
12-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Are the characters there the whole time or do they come and go? We are staying at the BCV and are attending the MVMCP but would like to stop by the Merry Mixer at 3 p.m. for 15-20 minutes. My niece and her family will be with us and I know they would like to see Mickey and Minnie. Thanks!

Donna
During the time we were there, different characters would come and go, but there were some there all the time. All are dressed in Holiday garb, and it was such fun. I only had one of the delisious cookies because we had a PS at Artist Point, but DH had two, and he said they were both incredible. I suspect Mickey and Minnie might be there at the begining.

disney4me4ever
12-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a great event! Like others, I hope this type of event will be held at other times throughout the year. It really seems like they're trying to show that DVCers are appreciated! Thanks Jim Lewis & crew!

Nancy :earsgirl:

greenban
12-13-2004, 07:19 AM
One of the groups of DISers at the mixer

Dear Caskbill, please don't take this post the wrong way, but as a greatfull user of both your excellent DVC programs, and a avid reader of your frequent and always informative and well thought-out posts.....

Shouldn't the above caption read, "Caskbill with Goofy and DW, not the Caskbill with DW and Goofy as shown above?

Warmest Regards,

-Tony

rtp-resident
12-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Last Member Mixer 12/28/04

We attended the last Member Mixer today. Event was excellent and as described in earlier posts.

A few notes and nice touches:

Characters alternated Minne & Micky and Chip & Dale

Attendance was good but not crowded

CMs were very, very nice and went out ouf their way to solicit input on how we were enjoying it and was there anything they could do? I took the opportunity to thank Disney for providing the party and encourage more of these type of events.

(The cynic in me said that the Saratoga Springs marketing budget paid for the events as their staffed sales tables were scattered about - but it is Christmas - so that can't be so!)

Nice Touch - While waiting in line with DDs for our character photos - CM handed out PhotoPasses so we would have them when the pictures were taken!

Traveling photographer took several family pictures to make sure we had a "record" of the event.

Happy New Year!

Towncrier
12-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the photos, Bill. I missed them the first time around. It was great getting to meet you and some of the other DIS DVCers. I had considered sticking around for the mixer on the 14th, but the road home was calling me.

My wife noted that the CMs at the mixer were amazed at how the DVC members kept the area so clean. They had expected to have to bus tables and the like, but the guests kept picking up their own trash. My wife overheard them talking and commented that it was probably because we (DVC members) are used to only having trash and tidy service every 4 days and that we are used to picking up after ourselves. I guess we are a neater bunch than the average Disney tourist.

disneycrazed139
12-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the pictures...great to see you all!

Mary Ellen
12-29-2004, 07:41 PM
We attended the 2nd mixer, Dec 14th. We did need to show 'proof' of DVC, member card or room key with 'DVC Member'. I must say that cookies in the picture looked better than was offered at ours. We just had sugar cookies with red or green sugar sprinkles. The hot cider was very tasty though.

We like the key chains. Can't decide if one of us is going to give up ours to DB/SIL - they checked out on the 4th and didn't get to attend.

We had received notice of the Merry Member Mixer before we left home (4 December) and also received an invitation in our check-in packet at BWV on 8 Dec.

ceejay13
12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Great pictures, thanks! We attended the one on the 14th and enjoyed it very much also.

pkb24824
12-29-2004, 08:33 PM
We went to the Merry Mixer on December 21 and was not very impressed with it. They did check to see if we were DVC members upon entering. We entered the drawing, pictures taken with Chip and Dale, drank some liquid refreshment and ate a cookie (sugar cookie with green or red sprinkles on them) and then left. Upon leaving, we did not receive a DVC key chain. Not too sure I would attend another DVC gathering like this one. Just my opinion!

deerh
12-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Our family was there too this past Tuesday!!
A GREAT thing that DVC did!!
I too and my wife tried to win the basket, but got no call, so I guess we did not win. We ate cookies (VERY GOOD), and punch (cider), and strolled around and we did not get pictures of Mickey and Minnie :guilty: , but we had fun, and a very nice keychain indeed.
We just showed the DVC card, and got right in. We were staying with relatives in Titusville, and drove over for the day. We were not staying at any resort, so YOU can go, just show your card!!!!

Sorry I did not meet you Caskbill, to thank you for all you do for the DIS with your point caluculator.
Great fun, and best of all: FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!
DeerH :D

Tiger Lily 03
12-29-2004, 11:20 PM
We enjoyed the event and meeting with you and other DISers. It sure was fun!

Kristi1357
12-30-2004, 06:43 AM
We were there on the 7th also! We did get an invite & notice of the event when we checked into BCV. It must have been 4-4:30 when we got there (ds napped late) - then we headed to MVMCP that night. I didn't realize so many DISers were there too - and just found this thread now.

We got a great pic of DS kissing Mickey on the nose at the mixer - Too cute! So if you saw a redheaded one year old doing that - that was us. I did enjoy a cookie or 2 and the lemonade myself. I do hope they continue to do these little things for DVCers. It was a nice little something different to do during our trip.

Kristi

WDWLVR
12-30-2004, 07:40 AM
We attended the mixer on the 28th and had a great time. We did show our blue DVC cards to get in. We didn't bother standing in line for pictures (we just got off the 10 day cruise and had lots of pictures with characters already) but did sample the cookies and drinks.

It was great to see fellow DIS'ers and we also had the opportunity to talk to a number of the CM's.

A great event! I hope they do more of these.

We also got the key chains on the way out - very nice!

Rob&Jan
12-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the review, looks like a lot of fun.

Missy Bruin
10-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Hey everyone missy and family here can't wait to see you all at the merry mixer on dec.29th.See you all then.MiSSY AND FAMILY

dianeschlicht
10-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Don't forget....DECEMBER 7TH! 2006! Let's all "do it again"!!! :thumbsup2

Good Ol Gal
10-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Don't forget....DECEMBER 7TH! 2006! Let's all "do it again"!!! :thumbsup2
we're thinking of going this day too! Of course we have the MVMCP that night, so we'll see.

Ksp
10-30-2006, 08:12 AM
We decided to stay at our year-round home here in NJ for Xmas this year
so we will miss being at the Mixer. Have a wonderful time, and I'll see you there next year! party:

cobbler
10-30-2006, 10:04 PM
:sad:
Going to miss it this year as we are leaving December 1st. Maybe they will be nice and have one November 30th. Not holding my breath though
:sad: